Is it still worth getting?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Goldmanjace #1 Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5092 battles
  • [GEFO] GEFO
I am a great fan of german tanks. I have the Panther and the Jagdtiger as premium vehicles. I like playing them both. I am looking to have a TD, medium Tank, and a heavy tank. The Panther has as good as no armor and you really have to stay back, but fun to play.  The Jagdtiger is ok, fun to play. I am looking into getting the Löwe. I am not sure because of all the bad reviews. They say it needs to be buffed, the armor is bad and it is out gunned. What are your thoughts or do you think there will be a heavy german tank up for grabs soon?

Hedgehog1963 #2 Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51161 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
It's not terrible.  Recent buffs have made it competitive again. Struggles a bit at Tier X which you will see plenty of...

GekkoGordon #3 Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4085 battles
  • [-VUK-] -VUK-

I have the Lowe. It's a good tank. The armor is not bad. However, i think it's not an easy tank to play, hence many players do badly in it.

It however suffers when you have a bad team. It needs support against good players, because they will outflank you if they see you without any teammates. People are less afraid to YOLO a Lowe than a T34 and i simply don't get it why. I've been doing my best in the past 2 days, after 32 battles, i have 2700 WN8, 2100 DPG and average 800 XP per game, and only 50% win rate so 16/16 W/L.

It really suffers with BAD teammates, due to lower fear factor than tanks like Defender.

Edited by GekkoGordon, 19 June 2017 - 04:36 PM.

Emeraldweed #4 Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9604 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

View PostGoldmanjace, on 19 June 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

I am a great fan of german tanks. I have the Panther and the Jagdtiger as premium vehicles. I like playing them both. I am looking to have a TD, medium Tank, and a heavy tank. The Panther has as good as no armor and you really have to stay back, but fun to play.  The Jagdtiger is ok, fun to play. I am looking into getting the Löwe. I am not sure because of all the bad reviews. They say it needs to be buffed, the armor is bad and it is out gunned. What are your thoughts or do you think there will be a heavy german tank up for grabs soon?

It's a beast while hull down and only then. decent gun that trolls you when you need it the most but slow as Edited. due to the speed limit you often pick a flank and stick there. however picking a flank is a desicion that needs expirience which you lack so i would suggest you into picking something else

Edited by Asklepi0s, 20 June 2017 - 09:37 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks

Enforcer1975 #5 Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I wouldn't with your battlecount. Grind [ <--- GRIND, not FAIL!!! Big difference ] your way up the tiers first and get some experience before buying any premium tank especially high tier ones. You will thank me later.

Wait...i just looked at your tanks....just buy it it's too late for good advice anyway. I hope i never have you on my team.

Edited by Enforcer1975, 19 June 2017 - 05:16 PM.

Uebergewicht #6 Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

The Löwe really improved with the latest buffs. It´s currently one of the better tier 8 heavy tanks. Not as strong as Defenders, Patriots or IS-3s, but quite good. It´s weakest aspects are speed and dpm. The Löwe is slow to get around and cannot really evacuate once a situation turns against it, and it can also not really kill its way out of a situation because it takes quite a while to deal damage. It´s strong points are the turret, which is quite strong frontally and not easy to overcome for any tank it meets, and the gun. The gun is quite precise with a bit of aiming, has great penetration on the standard rounds and especially excellent penetration on the premium rounds. The combination of these factors are what really makes the Löwe for me, in that it is still useful against tier 9 and 10 tanks. As long as you keep it hull down it can hurt even the toughest tanks with reasonable chance while being save enough.

Personally, I also enjoy the excellent view range a lot. In the right situation a frontline tank that lights targets can reap huge amounts of assisted damage.

However, you need to know what you are doing. If your getting in mobile fight with tanks zipping around, the Löwe can fint itself isolated, left behind or simply overrun quite quickly. While the hull armor isnt bad, it´s not so good that you could rely on it when expose. Sidescraping is possible, but needs quite a steep angle, and the side isn´t realy covered by the tracks like on many other tanks. So it´s not the best brawler, but at least it can do so a bit when its neccesary.

If you can deal with a tank that is rather slow, prefers slow engagements that are drawn out and knows when and how to fulfil a support role, then the Löwe has great potential. It´s not a steamroller like the Defender and generally not that great when it has to assault, but in the right hands, it can work in almost any matchup. Currently the Löwe is my favorite tier 8 heavy.

GekkoGordon #7 Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4085 battles
  • [-VUK-] -VUK-

View PostUebergewicht, on 19 June 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

Sidescraping is possible, but needs quite a steep angle, and the side isn´t realy covered by the tracks like on many other tanks.

I've bounced IS-7s and Type 4s shooting AP at my side armor, the sides are effectively the same as on the Chrysler GF, so it's a great sidescraper, even with the low profile tracks.

ApocalypseSquad #8 Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26350 battles
I would agree with most of the above.  It was terrible, but buffs over the years have turned it into a decent tank.  Not the best, by all means, but decent.  Go for it OP.

Uebergewicht #9 Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

View PostGekkoGordon, on 19 June 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

I've bounced IS-7s and Type 4s shooting AP at my side armor, the sides are effectively the same as on the Chrysler GF, so it's a great sidescraper, even with the low profile tracks.

And I´ve bounced IS-7s off of my Object 416. That doesnt mean it´s a great sidescraper^^

It works if you do it right, sure. but one has to watch out to not over-angle it, or accidently expose the lower plate. And due to the lack of tracks covering a significant part of it, its also more vulnerable to HEAT and HE. The Löwe also has a peculiar little side weakspot right where the turret meets the hull, which can be penetrated even when the side armor is otherwise at auto-riccochet angles. It´s similar to what the Pz. VII has, just not quite as bad. Thankfully not many people make use of this, though I myself often abuse this when fighting other sidescraping Löwes.

Again, the Löwe can stil side scrape if it has to, though if given the choice, you should always go hull down instead.

Dundato #10 Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26261 battles
I thought it was pretty good. Just slow at pulling away. Not played it for a few yrs but a good choice.

GekkoGordon #11 Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:58 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4085 battles
  • [-VUK-] -VUK-

View PostUebergewicht, on 19 June 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

And I´ve bounced IS-7s off of my Object 416. That doesnt mean it´s a great sidescraper^^

It works if you do it right, sure. but one has to watch out to not over-angle it, or accidently expose the lower plate. And due to the lack of tracks covering a significant part of it, its also more vulnerable to HEAT and HE. The Löwe also has a peculiar little side weakspot right where the turret meets the hull, which can be penetrated even when the side armor is otherwise at auto-riccochet angles. It´s similar to what the Pz. VII has, just not quite as bad. Thankfully not many people make use of this, though I myself often abuse this when fighting other sidescraping Löwes.

Again, the Löwe can stil side scrape if it has to, though if given the choice, you should always go hull down instead.

I can sidescrape easily even with a T34/T29 so it might be player related

lord_chipmonk #12 Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33696 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
Lowe is sweet. If you're struggling with it, post some replays and we can provide advice. 

Wayneable #13 Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42766 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The first thing i would say is - Learn to play the game at the lower tiers first.

But seeing as you have already jump in the deep end of the tank pool before even getting a 1000 game, it would be a waste of time.

LaManche #14 Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19155 battles
  • [3EGS] 3EGS
It's a good tank now, the great pen makes it a great credit earner. It works best as second line sniper.

Uebergewicht #15 Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

View PostGekkoGordon, on 19 June 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

I can sidescrape easily even with a T34/T29 so it might be player related

Might be, suspicious alt-account, might be.

250swb #16 Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22046 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Forget the old advice that the Lowe is only good hull down, the buffs have released it! It is now a very powerful tier VIII premium and can make huge credits without even trying too hard. Top tier you can lead, bottom tier you are a very effective support tank, and as a crew trainer it must rank of one of the most useful in the game given the range of worthwhile German heavy's that share the same crew layout.

Infine #17 Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18464 battles

Lowe used to be slow and had pretty Edited armour.

Now it's actually relatively fast and nimble, armour is very good, turret is godlike.

It's a better T34 than T34.

DPM is meh, but the gun is lazor, and pen is very good.

Edited by Asklepi0s, 20 June 2017 - 10:04 AM.

Sams_Baneblade #18 Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16907 battles

View PostGoldmanjace, on 19 June 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

I am not sure because of all the bad reviews. They say it needs to be buffed, the armor is bad and it is out gunned.

Those are old review or emitted by Edited players. IF you know how to sides Edited , hulldown and hide that damn LFP and never , you won't be disappointed.  It's a tough brick. If you don't, you won't like it but it's not the tank's fault.

You need to avoid being caught in the open/crossed fire stick with your teammates, as people will often try to rush you as they know the Lowe has a poor DPM. Good sniper too, when it's needed.

PS: special mention to the insane snapshot ability. The dispersion circle is REALLY small. In my last game, I hit  with 4 of my 5 snapshots, all with zero aim, on targets being half hidden and between 150 and 250m.

Edited by Asklepi0s, 20 June 2017 - 10:05 AM.

Pansenmann #19 Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33891 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

*looks at battle count*

It is a great tank but it is highly adviseable

to first learn how to successfully drive the lower tier vehicles.

Goldmanjace #20 Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5092 battles
  • [GEFO] GEFO

View PostEnforcer1975, on 19 June 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

I wouldn't with your battlecount. Grind [ <--- GRIND, not FAIL!!! Big difference ] your way up the tiers first and get some experience before buying any premium tank especially high tier ones. You will thank me later.

Wait...i just looked at your tanks....just buy it it's too late for good advice anyway. I hope i never have you on my team.

Sorry, but that seems like quite an unfriendly comment. Yes, I have not been playing as long as you. I keep the one tier 3 and tier 4 tanks because I like to  play them. I had higher ones, but sold them. If I have the cash to spend, then that is my perogative, you may not be in that position and there is nothing wrong with on doing it that way.  I do have my good games. I am sure you were an ace from the very start. It is sad to get that kind of friendly advice. I hope to meet you on the battlefield, it would be an honor to get shot up by you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users