Bring back more single tier games!

9.19 match maker bottom tier

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Recent matchmaking (46 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Which version´s match making do you prefer?

1. 9.18 (15 votes [32.61%])

Percentage of vote: 32.61%

2. 9.19 (9 votes [19.57%])

Percentage of vote: 19.57%

3. neither of those (22 votes [47.83%])

Percentage of vote: 47.83%

Do you think having more single tier games would be an improvement?

1. yes (33 votes [71.74%])

Percentage of vote: 71.74%

2. no (13 votes [28.26%])

Percentage of vote: 28.26%

Vote Hide poll

Uebergewicht #1 Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8889 battles

When patch 9.18 went live, the changes it brought with it were the most positive of any patch in my World of Tanks career. Together with the rework of artillery, the new matchmaker fullfilled many of the promises it made, and made the game as a whole a lot more enjoyable for me, regardless of which tier I played. There was a solid mix of games in every position and single tier games were a useful balance when a certain tier was overrepresented. Every vehicle one met was something that could be dealt with, but still a threat, and single tier games were some of the most enjoyable for me in quite a while.

However, I feel that with the following patch 9.19, the whole match maker has taken a step back. I am neither the first nor the last one to notice, but the announced stronger focus on 3/5/7 matches just leads to a whole lot more matches as bottom tier. Now, while I can deal with a few matches as bottom tier, the 9.19 system has these kinds of matches grossly overrepresentated. As you probably know, it is especially noteworthy in tier 8. Out of the dozens of tier 8 games I had yesterday and today, the vast majority (likely over 80%) were games as bottom tier in either tier 10 or tier 9 games. Only two of these dozens of matches had tier 7 tanks in them, and both of these games had tier 9 as top tier.  I did not meet tier 6s a single time when playing tier 8 in the last few days. Not once. The closest thing to a breather from all the bottom tier games were the single tier 8 games, but these are few and far in between. I´ve played at various times of the day, both in platoon and solo. The results were basically the same, possibly slightly worse when platooning.

Now, while I can see the benefits of the 3/5/7 system, in the current version it takes unjust toll on one of the most popular tiers, tier 8. I know the situation is a bit strange as tier 8 is usually played a lot more than the tiers directly above and below it, and that makes it hard to get an even amount of games as top as as bottom tier. But, please, for the love of the matchmaking, consider making single tier battles more likely. To me, these are a great way to deal with overrepresented tiers; they´re not as empowering as true top tier games, but certainly more manageable than the constant uphill struggle as bottom tier, and not influenced by fluctuating numbers of players per tier. While it´s maybe not ideal, it is still, in my opinion, a lot better than what we currently have, and at the very least a better intermediate solution until someone comes up with an even better idea to handle the matchmaker.

The current system is really taking its toll on my enjoyment of the game, and the fact that I actively try to avoid playing at certain times because I know the already slim chances of getting a decent matchup are even flimsier does does certainly not speak for the 9.19 system. Where 9.18 made me spent more and more time with the game, getting more enjoyment out of the matches I was in, 9.19 achieved the exact opposite - in that I dont even want to play, knowing that the game most likely sees me constantly underpowered as bottom tier, watching as the match devolves into a roflstomp either way faster than I can hold against it.

Please, consider reverting the match maker priorities to how it was in 9.18 and allow for more single tier battles, at least for the forseeable future. I think WoT would benefit a lot.

Thank you for reading

Neyaru #2 Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7694 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Instead of this, match-maker should balance the number of times you are bottom tier. Single tier matches were treated as top tier. 

kripton69 #3 Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1205 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Yep, after loving 9.18 I've now lost interest in playing after a few weeks of 9.19. I just took two battles today and couldn't take more, taking my grand total of the week up to around 10 battles.

The main differences I notice is that in 9.19 you almost only get Standard game mode even if you have all of them enabled so you're shoved into the dumbed down [edited]fests where 90% of the maps combine 1-3 relevant tunnels with these absolute cancer spots for camper bots which allow them to shoot the important areas of those super predictable maps with no risk. Add in the overbuffed super heavies and unbalanced matchmaking and most games are very stagnant where any aggression is being punished and the team that has more patience to combine base camping with sidescraping a suitable corner with a Maus wins the game.

Flanking is non-existent and aggressive plays aren't really a thing anymore. Unless you play something obviously broken like Object 907 or AMX 13 57 playing any mediums has become a waste of time and the game is now all about armor, alpha damage and autoloaders. Such fun. Outside of those obvious offenders I think tier 9 is the only tier in which you can consistently play mediums anymore.

I remember having tons of fun playing my new Löwe in 9.18 but even that has gotten frustrating because I keep seeing lots of higher tier tanks but barely any lower tiers. Löwe is also a generalist tank, it's not a Defender so when you only get maps like Abbey or Siegfried Line Standard your tank just loses the outplaying potential and flexibility that made it fun and effective. It's better to just have retardproof armor and a gun that hits as hard as higher tiers heavies. The 1-level and 2-level battles have become less common. Although the matchmaking had some flaws and I noticed that I saw more higher tiers than lower tiers the problem was lesser and I could live with a minor handicap as long as the matchmaker gave me a fair amount of Assault/Encounter battles that allowed me to play the game instead of 24/7 putting me into these dumbed down, mindless [edited]ing aids [edited] [edited] maps that have been designed for brainless [edited] bots who only play super heavies or camp base with TDs. Certain tiers(most notably 8) have also become unplayable and playing anything but super heavies or pay-to-win tanks is just handicapping yourself. If you don't feel like playing such tanks, well... tough luck. Enjoy being farmed by them in Abbey, Mountain Pass or Lakeville! Standard mode of course just in case you win the city the "vision gamers" aka [edited]ing [edited] animals in their TDs are still camping unflankable positions and you are supposed to run into their gun with your already wounded tank... I mean it's such a great idea that useless [edited]bots can sit in base, [edited] up their team's chances but they still get rewarded in damage because the game mode ensures the enemies will eventually have to run into camper bot's gun if they want to win the game. Excellent design.

My activity has sunken very low after playing and enjoying 9.18 a lot. The game just isn't fun right now. Wargaming have successfully removed all the interaction from the game and turned it into being a [edited]fest of zombies either humping corners or facerolling in OP heavies, or TD bots camping base. The 1-level and 2-level battles were probably too much fun and had to be reduced. Who doesn't just love a Maus fighting against 7 tier 8 tanks more and more often? Sure, the 1-level battles had their flaws in certain tiers and maps but things are much worse now.

The first step would be turning Standard into an optional game mode. When you create a game mode that revolves around one class(heavies), excessive gold spam and pay-to-win, then don't force people to play it.

The second step is to create a memory where the matchmaker remembers how many higher/lower tier tanks you have faced and tries to balance your battles on that so your tier 8 tanks stop facing enemy tanks with the average tier of 8.3. Or better yet, move to +1/-1. Tier 8s facing tier 10 brings nothing positive to the game, it just dumbs it down further and puts even more emphasis on which tank you are driving. The third step is hardcapping arties to 1 per side(because even arty players won't play Standard and we don't want triple arties in every game). Voila, problems solved.

Edited by kripton69, 20 June 2017 - 12:01 AM.

Uebergewicht #4 Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8889 battles

View PostNeyaru, on 19 June 2017 - 11:40 PM, said:

Instead of this, match-maker should balance the number of times you are bottom tier. Single tier matches were treated as top tier. 

Wouldnt this basically boil down to the same, a.k.a. more single tier battles? A

And, if you´re saying that for every bottom tier game there should be a top- or single tier game, I would totally be down for that. WG actually announced that the match maker would get a "memory" in 9.18 and would try to get you top tier games if you had been bottom tier too often (and also change maps more often), regardless if you switched tanks, tiers or even logged off. 9.19 also seems to have a lot less of that.

Xandania #5 Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27932 battles
  • [HAV0C] HAV0C
I thought the 9.19 matchmaking was fine until the hotfixes came.

PanzerVor87 #6 Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2035 battles
I agree with OP. At first the forced 3/5/7 MM spread didn't seem that bad, but as someone who mostly plays Tier 8 premiums it's quite the chore to land in several consecutive games where I am fodder (for the enemy) and unwanted help (for the allies).

The 9.18 MM was a significant improvement, I'm not sure why WG felt it necessary to mess things up again. :(

Uebergewicht #7 Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8889 battles

The changes were certainly announced in 9.19 itself.

Block Quote

9. Changes to the Matchmaker

We made some changes to the matchmaker to decrease the number of one- and two-tier battles in favor of the 3/5/7 system.

• The number of one- and two-tier battles will decrease in favor of the 3/5/7 system. The change will be noticeable at high battle levels (vehicle tiers: VIII to X).
  • Most three-tier battles will be created according to the basic 3/5/7 pattern.

We will slightly tighten the requirements for matchmaking in terms of Platoons, SPGs, tank destroyers, and light tanks, which will decrease the number of battles with the corresponding imbalances.

Which hotfix are you refering to? The one that fixed the one-man-platoon-always-toptier bug?

Happy_Hans #8 Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16092 battles
  • [GJME] GJME

I would prefer the old MM < 9.18

wEight_Tanker #9 Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4275 battles

View PostHappy_Hans, on 20 June 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

I would prefer the old MM < 9.17

but with max tiers

fixed

Press2ForSkill #10 Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9404 battles
9.18 was the best matchmaking has EVER been, I had so much fun, the only thing that actually sucked, was playing tier 10 only games, and now WG screwed all the other tiers over with 9.19 to help tier 10... i'd rather have great tier 6-9 matchmaking with bad tier 10 mm, than terrible tier 6-9 mm and good tier 10, why cant WG just bring 9.18 mm back and just make the queue time of tier 10s a bit longer so they can face lower tiers a little more sometimes? cuz of the new mm in 9.19 i've basically stopped playing WoT

CptBarney #11 Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18333 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
both match makers were garbage and too be honest i careless about being bottom tier means i get to f about more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users