• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

migy225 #1 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 26862 battles
Can all the cannons on tanks be corrected,
Like setting up cannon tubes through tanks and shooting through them

Or move them through solid things like walls, houses, ground......

Aikl #2 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25554 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
This game has hitpoints. I'll repeat. Hitpoints. On tanks.

FluffyRedFox #3 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

General

• Player
  • 22971 battles

So you want solid gun barrels?

Take 3 seconds to think about this....

Junglist_ #4 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37139 battles

No it's like that for a reason. How stupid would it be blocking each other using just guns and getting constantly stuck on buildings and stuff like that. There's absolutely no reason for the change. 

DracheimFlug #5 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostJunglist_, on 20 June 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

No it's like that for a reason. How stupid would it be blocking each other using just guns and getting constantly stuck on buildings and stuff like that. There's absolutely no reason for the change. 

I still don't understand why that would automatically be a bad thing

Isharial #6 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19826 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDracheimFlug, on 20 June 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

so I guess you cant see the long barrel of the panther basically forbidding it going anywhere near a town or building?

would be really quite annoying don't you think?

whereas tanks like the M4 running the 105mm, would be able to go to these places just as they always have been... seems like making long barrel guns less useful on towns for little gain to me

Junglist_ #7 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37139 battles

View PostDracheimFlug, on 20 June 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

Well it might not be a bad thing for you but I can't imagine how many trolls would start abusing this plus things like Isharial said.

I just don't see any benefits of it at all

DracheimFlug #8 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostIsharial, on 20 June 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

so I guess you cant see the long barrel of the panther basically forbidding it going anywhere near a town or building?

would be really quite annoying don't you think?

whereas tanks like the M4 running the 105mm, would be able to go to these places just as they always have been... seems like making long barrel guns less useful on towns for little gain to me

I see that as adding new tactical complications, and therefore a good thing... and you are exaggerating the limitation.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66296 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Take 2 min and think how the game would be if they were solid. Then you could not move around or reverse out of 90% of the corridors maps without turning your turret in the right position. And when aiming around a corner, you would had to aim forward, then traverse around to aim at the target... that's already aiming at you. And when ramming someone, you would had to aim over the side or rear if your hull. If not then you would just barrel ram them. And you could effectively block and enemy tank from truing his turret on you. Because you "barrel blocked" it by lowering your gun over his before he turned it around. Thus brawls would be a brainless mess.

It was removed for a reason. As 90% would just get it stuck more so then anything tbh.

Edited by Balc0ra, 20 June 2017 - 05:38 PM.

StinkyStonky #10 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 28441 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

View Postmigy225, on 20 June 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

A member since 2011, 26,000 games, a PR of 8200, 56% win rate and your first and only forum post is to complain that long tank barrels don't bang into buildings !

That's really quite impressive.

While you're at it WG, could you change the font used on the results page ... :facepalm:

How_hard_can_it_be #11 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 40280 battles
I want to complain about my crews. They don't scream in agony when they burn alive in my FV215b and other highly flammable tanks. Highly unrealistic. I want to hear their pain in my headphones. Solve it WG, like, now.

fighting_falcon93 #12 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31229 battles

View PostJunglist_, on 20 June 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

That would actually make it interesting. There's a reason why tanks are very clumpsy to use in urban combat, and that should be reflected in the game aswell. After all, it's a game about tanks, isn't it? :)

Isharial #13 Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19826 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDracheimFlug, on 20 June 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

I see that as adding new tactical complications, and therefore a good thing... and you are exaggerating the limitation.

there's quite a few town maps, and people do actually play that tank..

that aside, there are many moves you wouldn't be able to make if barrels were solid, you just don't notice the amount of times the barrel actually goes through things because you don't need to

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 June 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Take 2 min and think how the game would be if they were solid. Then you could not move around or reverse out of 90% of the corridors maps without turning your turret in the right position. And when aiming around a corner, you would had to aim forward, then traverse around to aim at the target... that's already aiming at you. And when ramming someone, you would had to aim over the side or rear if your hull. If not then you would just barrel ram them. And you could effectively block and enemy tank from truing his turret on you. Because you "barrel blocked" it by lowering your gun over his before he turned it around. Thus brawls would be a brainless mess.

It was removed for a reason. As 90% would just get it stuck more so then anything tbh.

this

and that panther example i said... it wouldn't be able to turn, if went town on ruinberg (as an example), if something came up behind it, it would be like a turret less TD and unable to shoot back

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 20 June 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

That would actually make it interesting. There's a reason why tanks are very clumpsy to use in urban combat, and that should be reflected in the game aswell. After all, it's a game about tanks, isn't it? :)

but would you actually like the game like that?

having to do as balc0ra said, turn your turret flat to come round a corner etc, or trying to brawl would be instead a fight with barrels as if they were swords... all the while, short barrelled tanks still working as they always were

low down mounted guns like the T95 wouldn't be able to traverse any hills because the gun would dig in and get stuck... im sure we want even more players doing nothing and in need of rescuing?

I cant really see any actual advantages

the only potential one being that you would be able to right your tank using the gun barrel, but you really shouldnt be in that position anyway....

Edited by Isharial, 20 June 2017 - 06:36 PM.

DracheimFlug #14 Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostIsharial, on 20 June 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

there's quite a few town maps, and people do actually play that tank..

that aside, there are many moves you wouldn't be able to make if barrels were solid, you just don't notice the amount of times the barrel actually goes through things because you don't need to

this

and that panther example i said... it wouldn't be able to turn, if went town on ruinberg (as an example), if something came up behind it, it would be like a turret less TD and unable to shoot back

having to do as balc0ra said, turn your turret flat to come round a corner etc, or trying to brawl would be instead a fight with barrels as if they were swords... all the while, short barrelled tanks still working as they always were

low down mounted guns like the T95 wouldn't be able to traverse any hills because the gun would dig in and get stuck... im sure we want even more players doing nothing and in need of rescuing?

I cant really see any actual advantages

the only potential one being that you would be able to right your tank using the gun barrel, but you really shouldnt be in that position anyway....

I still think you are exaggerating. Which town streets aren't wide enough for the gun? Plus couldn't you just lock the turret to back up?

DorsVenabiIi #15 Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23523 battles
  • [BIBLE] BIBLE
You just suggested the panther 2's worst nightmare. 

AliceUnchained #16 Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View Postmigy225, on 20 June 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Like setting up cannon tubes through tanks and shooting through them

Or move them through solid things like walls, houses, ground......

Took you only 25.699 games to figure that out? Let me guess, your browser history shows e-bay as recent and frequently visited website...

HassenderZerhacker #17 Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27227 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

this shows how unrealistic WoT is.

OF COURSE only tanks with short barrels should go into cities... it's obvious like... doh.  Only a total moron of a commander would send long barreled tanks into a city, lol.

OF COURSE long barrels are for long range engagement in the field. ughhhhhhh

OF COURSE tank warfare is about movement over dozens of kilometers. hmmm.... why these things have engines ??

WoT is NOT a tank simulator

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 20 June 2017 - 06:55 PM.

fighting_falcon93 #18 Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31229 battles

It's difficult to say for sure without trying it out, but I think so, yes. It would develop a new level of skill and make the battles more realistic. Instead of literally hugging a building/rock, you'd need to stay a bit behind it in order to have your gun pointed in the right direction when peeking.

The whole brawling isn't very realistic in the first place either. Actually if I'm going to be entirely honest, the pure dpm brawls is one of the must stupid things I've seen in this game. 2 tanks pushing each other around like drunk maniacs and competing who'll run out of hp first... not a very "historical correct" tank battle if I'm going to be honest.

Short barrelled tanks should have other disadvantages, just as in real life. For instance, lower shell velocity (and therefore lower penetration), and worse accuracy. This is exactly why it's not a such bad idea to balance a game with realism, because realism has already a lot if these questions sorted out thanks to physical laws.

Yes, it would require players to use some of their brain when driving aswell. For instance if you want to drive up on some elevated terrain you'll first need to elevate your gun.

Edited by fighting_falcon93, 20 June 2017 - 07:17 PM.

unhappy_bunny #19 Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18161 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

OP obviously is a fan of Kelly's Heroes.

Can you imagine the rage of a Maus driver stuck in a narrow street with a Med sitting behind him pumping shot after shot into him and being unable to turn his turret?

Actually, that might be fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/T1eFePf6mWM

Edited by unhappy_bunny, 20 June 2017 - 07:17 PM.

fighting_falcon93 #20 Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31229 battles

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 20 June 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

OF COURSE only tanks with short barrels should go into cities...

The IS-2 was not considered a short barrel and still was used inside Berlin... So your statement is wrong. However, yes, it would require a bit more thinking to bring your HT into a city fight instead of just parking your quadratic box next to a house.

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 20 June 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

WoT is NOT a tank simulator

No, it's not, but that doesn't mean that we can't use realism to use the game more interesting. I have no idea why some players automatically think that realism is a bad thing... Maybe play Mario Kart in that case? :mellow:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users