I played my first ranked battle today it's horrible (as i expected)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Ranked battles, tier and game mode (41 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should ranked battles be played on tier 8?

1. Yes (22 votes [53.66%])

Percentage of vote: 53.66%

2. No (19 votes [46.34%])

Percentage of vote: 46.34%

Should ranked battles be played on Encounter game mode?

1. Yes (18 votes [43.90%])

Percentage of vote: 43.90%

2. No (23 votes [56.10%])

Percentage of vote: 56.10%

Vote Hide poll

_DiMe_ #1 Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9865 battles
  • [SOW] SOW

I was watching a lot of streams of ranked battles. First thing i noticed on streams, Highway is the most played map. You guessed it, i got Highway. 

The match that i got was horribly mismatched, again as expected. Enemy team had 8 heavy tanks: 2x Maus, 2x T100E5, E100, IS-7, Type 5 Heavy and an IS-7, 1 medium tank: BatChat 25t, 1 light tank: T-100LT, 2 tank destroyers: Jg.Pz. E 100 and Grille 15 and last but not least 3 self propelled guns: Obj. 261, B-C 155 58 and T92 HMC. My team however, on the complete opposite had 2 heavy tanks: IS-4 and T57 Heavy, 8 medium tanks: 1x E 50 M, 4x Leopard 1 and 3x Obj. 140, 2 tank destroyers: Jg.Pz. E 100 and T100E4, and 3 self propelled guns: 2x Obj. 261 and ConquerorGC.

First thing what i wanted to talk about, since WarGaming is heavily (pun intended) into heavy tanks, and they really, really like to add armor to every new tank, i had to shoot gold ammo. I made -98k profit that game without premium, cause [edited]giving any more money to them as they're not making this game any better. Tier 10 is by far the most unbalanced tier from tier 6-10 (not talking about lower because they are HELLA unbalanced), so making ranked battles just for tier 10, and for tier 10 was the stupid decision by whoever over there in WarGaming. 

Second thing is arty in ranked battles. in 60%-70% of ranked battles there are 3 arty's per team, which combined with the fact that top 12 players on winning, and top 3 on losing team get chevrons, and that alone introduces campy play-style, arty makes the game just that much more annoying. You're not only fighting the enemies in this game mode, but you are fighting your teammates as well, which when we look at World of Tanks being "team-oriented" game, ranked battle is WoT turned around 180 degrees. 

Third thing is the game mode that ranked is played on. I think that the Encounter game mode would suit the ranked games more than Standard, maybe even lower the time limit to 10 minutes, and games would be more fast paced and intense to play. These ranked battles just feel like, "oh let me camp in back and try to last hit since that gives more exp than being in front and dealing damage and helping my team does". Seriously, last hitting gives you a lot of experience.

Anyway, what are your experiences with ranked so far?

_DiMe_ #2 Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9865 battles
  • [SOW] SOW
I forgot to mention that i was the biggest loser, and i got the chevron, but probably i won't play ranked battles any time soon, i like my tier 8 premiums and Type 64 ;)

TankkiPoju #3 Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20014 battles

I like ranked battles. But it's probably because I don't play them a lot. Trying to grind to rank 5 would probably be a lot less fun. First few ranks are easy and you can actually make credits due to rank rewards.

I feel WG meant ranked battles to be a new "end game" for WoT so it kind of makes sense it's tier 10.  As for the balance... tier 10 will never be balanced. Ever. It's because the tanks are so different. Otherwise WG could just as well remove TDs, autoloaders and just leave tier 10 Russian meds.

As for as camping in the back for damage... every good player does that already in random games. If the game seems bad, people fall back to red line sniping. 

_DiMe_ #4 Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9865 battles
  • [SOW] SOW

View PostTankkiPoju, on 22 June 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

I like ranked battles. But it's probably because I don't play them a lot. Trying to grind to rank 5 would probably be a lot less fun. First few ranks are easy and you can actually make credits due to rank rewards.

I feel WG meant ranked battles to be a new "end game" for WoT so it kind of makes sense it's tier 10.  As for the balance... tier 10 will never be balanced. Ever. It's because the tanks are so different. Otherwise WG could just as well remove TDs, autoloaders and just leave tier 10 Russian meds.

As for as camping in the back for damage... every good player does that already in random games. If the game seems bad, people fall back to red line sniping. 

I agree with you in some points.
Making money in ranked is actually non existent. I was genuinely forced to shoot HEAT, yes i got the first chevron and got 50k credits, but -98k+50k=-48k so i lost a lot of credits for it.

Camping in ranked games is okay, as it is not "competitive" as ranked battles are. And full tier X games occur every once in a while, i'm talking about 1 in 4 or even 1 in 5 matches, so if one decides to camp at back, even being the top tier, it's not a big deal since you still have couple of top tiers more to deal with lesser ones. 

Wintermute_1 #5 Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42915 battles

If you dont have the OP tier 10s to play ranked, its pretty frustrating. Attempting to play an IS7 against Maus, Type 5, E100 is futile. Plus 3 arty nearly every game...

-_-, Plus everyone is waiting for their team mates to make the first move, plus totally screwy MM... 

Dont know how long i'll keep going with it.

Edited by Wintermute_1, 23 June 2017 - 01:29 AM.

_DiMe_ #6 Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9865 battles
  • [SOW] SOW

View PostWintermute_1, on 22 June 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

If you dont have the OP tier 10s to play ranked, its pretty frustrating. Attempting to play an IS7 against Maus, Type 5, E100 is futile. Plus 3 arty nearly every game...

-_-, Plus everyone is waiting for their team mates to make the first, plus totally screwy MM... 

Dont know how long i'll keep going with it.

I played one game just to be "in", just to try it out. I don't like it nor will i play it for sometime.

h4ctor #7 Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16457 battles

its just not fun to play,every game 3 arties is ridiculous,i dont mind players camping that much or shoot gold...but you cant move without being stunned,aggressive play gets punished so basicaly the most fun thing you can do in the game is countered completely by arty - and im not gonna blame WG for that,they couldnt possibly know how the meta would evolve but if they dont make changes to that in coming months ranked battles will die

got rank 4 for the credit personal reserves and im not gonna play it again until next week

_DiMe_ #8 Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9865 battles
  • [SOW] SOW

View Posth4ctor, on 22 June 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

its just not fun to play,every game 3 arties is ridiculous,i dont mind players camping that much or shoot gold...but you cant move without being stunned,aggressive play gets punished so basicaly the most fun thing you can do in the game is countered completely by arty - and im not gonna blame WG for that,they couldnt possibly know how the meta would evolve but if they dont make changes to that in coming months ranked battles will die

got rank 4 for the credit personal reserves and im not gonna play it again until next week

If company as big as WarGaming cannot predict that by introducing "biggest-loser" i.e. top 3 players on losers team by exp and top 12 players on winners team by exp, and nerfing artillery while buffing heavily armored heavy tier 10 tanks weeks or even months prior to ranked battles, because that idea didn't just came up, it surely had to be designed for months, doesn't introduce camping and not supporting your allies, then they should not be making a game. 

fighting_falcon93 #9 Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29745 battles
It's fine that it's played on tier 10, it's the credits sink that's the problem. For players that don't have all tanks yet credits is already lacking, we don't really need another credits sink. IMHO they should make the repair cost free and either rework gold ammo or make ammo costs free aswell.

_DiMe_ #10 Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:03 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9865 battles
  • [SOW] SOW

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 22 June 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

It's fine that it's played on tier 10, it's the credits sink that's the problem. For players that don't have all tanks yet credits is already lacking, we don't really need another credits sink. IMHO they should make the repair cost free and either rework gold ammo or make ammo costs free aswell.

First off, they will not do anything about gold ammo, it's a simple way for them to make money, a lot of it. You are losing credits? You are either forced to waste a lot of time grinding it with standard account/standard tank, or to pay them money, to buy premium account/premium tank. I get it, it's a free to play game, it has to have some kind off "mini pay to win" transactions, which in this game are actually major, because people who have credits have more premium ammo which equals to more penetrating hits, but it's available even to free to play players, but in much lower quantities. 

Anyway, the biggest problem is the armor. The armor of tier 10 super heavy tanks is designed in such a way that you can't even penetrate it with gold ammo. My opinion is that the game design should be that EVERY tank has frontal weak spot, which would mean that players with more knowledge will know where to shoot it, still RNG would decide if you were to hit it, and then if you were to penetrate it. But super heavy tanks should have frontal weak spot that should be penetrated in 75% of time by equal tiered tank, 50% of lower tiered tank and in 25% by 2 tiers lower tank. That would give chances to the entirety of players in match to penetrate every tank they could meet in game, since it's only +-2 matchmaking. However, since they did not do that in start, and there are a lot of tanks in the game right now, that is not an option. So at least give gold ammo a bit more penetration, or the easier and better option is to nerf the armor of super heavy tanks. 

Edited by _DiMe_, 22 June 2017 - 11:04 PM.

fighting_falcon93 #11 Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29745 battles

View Post_DiMe_, on 22 June 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

buy premium account/premium tank.

I already have a premium account... And I'm actually doing a small profit from ranked battles, but that's because I don't spam premium ammo. If I'd load premium ammo every time I see a Maus/Type 5, I'd lose a lot of credits. But my point was that in order to be competetive in this game mode, you'll need to fire premium ammo, and in a "ranked" game mode, the focus should be around skill and not who can and can't affort to buy ammo and repair his tanks :)

View Post_DiMe_, on 22 June 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

My opinion is that the game design should be that EVERY tank has frontal weak spot

I see that a lot of good players wants this. I still don't understand it because it will make armor comletely useless. But it's fine, if WG starts adding frontal weakspots on tanks like IS-7 and Kranvagn, I guess I'll start playing my Leopard 1 on full time. Who needs armor if you can just click on a pixel and suddenly I have no more armor. IMO I might just aswell play Leopard 1 instead and avoid getting hit at all :)

_DiMe_ #12 Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9865 battles
  • [SOW] SOW

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 22 June 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

I already have a premium account... And I'm actually doing a small profit from ranked battles, but that's because I don't spam premium ammo. If I'd load premium ammo every time I see a Maus/Type 5, I'd lose a lot of credits. But my point was that in order to be competetive in this game mode, you'll need to fire premium ammo, and in a "ranked" game mode, the focus should be around skill and not who can and can't affort to buy ammo and repair his tanks :)

I see that a lot of good players wants this. I still don't understand it because it will make armor comletely useless. But it's fine, if WG starts adding frontal weakspots on tanks like IS-7 and Kranvagn, I guess I'll start playing my Leopard 1 on full time. Who needs armor if you can just click on a pixel and suddenly I have no more armor. IMO I might just aswell play Leopard 1 instead and avoid getting hit at all :)

The problem is if you don't load a premium ammo for everytime you see Maus/Type 5 Heavy/E 100 because you are losing out on getting chevrons if the game is shifting into enemies' hands. But if you're winning and you think you already did enough for a chevron that's fine. But still dabbing the 2 key and securing that chevron in place is never a bad idea.

But the problem is that they are actually encouraging the use of gold ammo, which is their business pattern, and a way to make them money. But it's nor fair nor historically accurate as they're promoting their game, which i don't know but can get them in legal trouble if someone sues them(don't quote me on this as i have no actual idea). 

The ranked battles are just a bad, really bad "competitive" game mode that World of Tanks desperately needed.

japtank #13 Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27619 battles

View PostTankkiPoju, on 22 June 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

As for as camping in the back for damage... every good player does that already in random games.

Good player?

More petty moron stat padder player, yes!

People wetting their pants in war video games, what kind of blokes are they?

_DiMe_ #14 Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9865 battles
  • [SOW] SOW

View Postjaptank, on 22 June 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

Good player?

More petty moron stat padder player, yes!

People wetting their pants in war video games, what kind of blokes are they?

Well you have a lot of people who play for stats. Some of them are aggressive and some of them are just passive, can't blame them for that. 
The problem for ranked is that you are actually competing with your TEAMMATES, that's the "no thank you" part.

NiemandXL #15 Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:03 AM

Major

• Player
  • 37955 battles

Tier 8 might just be the only tier that is even worse balanced than tier X. Not to mention the massive pay2win issue, because in tier 8 these days the best tanks you can only buy and not grind. Which would create a 2 class society in ranked battle with those that have the OP premiums one side and those that have not on the other. Also tier 8 mediums are pretty much nearly all completely trash so we would have even less tank variety. 

I do not think fighting mostly just Defenders every battle would be an improvement. Most of all not for those not having a Defender.

Edited by NiemandXL, 23 June 2017 - 02:04 AM.

lonigus #16 Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:47 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 32631 battles

I will just get the beta league one medal and be done with ranked. Iam not gonna spend god knows how much hours to get just one module in a month. Not worth the time invested.

Its just not fun past rank 4.

redblast #17 Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 44380 battles
  • [LGEND] LGEND
I like Ranked Battles because you encounter better player and less idiots who suicide in the first 2 min.  Grinding chevrons it's hard and frustrating at time.. but still a better experience than random battle.. they should do a ranked battle for tier 10,8,6.. have a permanent rank.. alowing good players to play with good players and nubs with nubs.

_DiMe_ #18 Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9865 battles
  • [SOW] SOW

View PostNiemandXL, on 23 June 2017 - 01:03 AM, said:

Tier 8 might just be the only tier that is even worse balanced than tier X. Not to mention the massive pay2win issue, because in tier 8 these days the best tanks you can only buy and not grind. Which would create a 2 class society in ranked battle with those that have the OP premiums one side and those that have not on the other. Also tier 8 mediums are pretty much nearly all completely trash so we would have even less tank variety. 

I do not think fighting mostly just Defenders every battle would be an improvement. Most of all not for those not having a Defender.

Yes, but at least non premium tier 8 tanks can penetrate Defender with gold ammo.

View Postlonigus, on 23 June 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

I will just get the beta league one medal and be done with ranked. Iam not gonna spend god knows how much hours to get just one module in a month. Not worth the time invested.

Its just not fun past rank 4.

That might be the only fun part, collecting the "rare" medals.

View Postredblast, on 23 June 2017 - 06:55 AM, said:

I like Ranked Battles because you encounter better player and less idiots who suicide in the first 2 min.  Grinding chevrons it's hard and frustrating at time.. but still a better experience than random battle.. they should do a ranked battle for tier 10,8,6.. have a permanent rank.. alowing good players to play with good players and nubs with nubs.

I think that the problem is that World of Tanks doesn't have as big player base as other games have to create permanent ranked rank and leagues/divisions. Especially if you put it only for tier 10, that's even less players. And then imagine good players getting really good ranks, they will have to wait for a long time to get matched with 29 other people.

If you take a look at other games, you will see that people play ranked to get some kind of cosmetic reward instead of pay to win equipment that WarGaming implemented. I get it that it's the first season, but this is just embarrassing for even the first season, the game all around is in embarrassing position right now.

trispect #19 Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33277 battles
  • [HSOP] HSOP

If the ranked mode continues to be as huge credit sink it is now, that is the greatest problem. Rewards just aren't good enough that most of the people would grind credits just being able to play this mode. That's why rampage mode died. This mode has a bit better and concrete rewards, but I think bulk of the players will drop the mode when they realize that after month long grind they don't get bonds to buy even one piece of equipment and they loose millions of credits.

This mode is economically sustainable only for best players. You will have to penetrate and hit with very high percentage and survive most of the battles not to make loss with premium account. If you give edge to enemies by not shooting gold and not running food, it's not better but you chevron efficiency drops.

Squirting_Elephant #20 Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9773 battles
  • [VIVU5] VIVU5
Tier 8 ranked battles would be fun. The problem is that WG did not balance anything on the tier8 + the premiums would have to be excluded.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users