2 questions re replays and MM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34798 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3

I was trying to upload a replay from last night to query whether the MM for the battle was balanced or it was simply a case of bad map design and now have 2 questions

1-  played 42 battles yesterday but only 31 in my replay folder, 3 battles in is-7 and 3 in E50M are totally missing, but IS-3 and T71 all there (both were in final 3 mark session so lots games in them) plus 2 in T55a.  Apparantly I have not played IS-7 since 17th but I have 16 battles since then according to my WOTLIFE results.  weird.  battle results are set to record all battles so I am unsure what has happened.

2  RE the battle itself.  It was an all tier 10 game on Westfield, and the query was is the MM balanced or the map unbalanced.  essentially all the tanks types matched up numbers wise, same number heavies,tds etc, even same number batchats.  However, we had 3 grille and they had 3 jagdpanzer E100 so on the key b3 area we simply got steamrollered as their armoured vehicles ran over us, our three grilles all ran over to 0 line and that was game over.  I cant really blame the grille player too much, not a great map for them to support so is this an imbalanced MM with further refinement perhaps called for?  eg armoured vs unarmoured, or perhaps assault vs support class? or simply a case of bad map design which favoured one type of tank because of the maps nature and the importance of one small area of the map?

Homer_J #2 Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27023 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostStewie2ie, on 22 June 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

our three grilles all ran over to 0 line and that was game over.  

There's your problem.

I cant really blame the grille player too much, not a great map for them to support

Errmm what?  They are needed on the top, there's plenty of bush for them to camp both sides.  If anyone who spawns top of the hill runs over the other side then you have lost.  End of.

is this an imbalanced MM with further refinement perhaps called for?

No, there is no further boringification of teams called for.

_Anarchistic_ #3 Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34798 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3

View PostHomer_J, on 23 June 2017 - 12:01 AM, said:

There's your problem.

I cant really blame the grille player too much, not a great map for them to support

Errmm what?  They are needed on the top, there's plenty of bush for them to camp both sides.  If anyone who spawns top of the hill runs over the other side then you have lost.  End of.

is this an imbalanced MM with further refinement perhaps called for?

No, there is no further boringification of teams called for.

​your second answer is revealing?  I accept running over 0 line not good but when a map requires players to fight over 1 area, not the whole map is that really good map design?

edit, no matter where I spawn I virtually always go top hill, unless in a scout in which case I try to get OP bush to spot 9/0 line for snipers. but is that really good gameplay? always heading 1 small part map?  

many mpas you can win either flank but a few, El Halluf also springs to mind are really dominanted by the battle in 1 or 2 squares

Edited by Stewie2ie, 23 June 2017 - 12:06 AM.

brumbarr #4 Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:05 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
In that case your team would need to addapt ,that means making sure you win the k line. Relocating the grilles there. Heavys drive down below the ridge and spot. Everything that comes from the top gets blasted.

The top is not that important, its only important when people go there. The south gives you spots and snipes.

Even outnumbdered the south can easily win using visin advantage.

Tldr: team should have adapted and relocted south to use their range advantage.
Ps: didnt watch the replay.

_Anarchistic_ #5 Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34798 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3

View Postbrumbarr, on 23 June 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

In that case your team would need to addapt ,that means making sure you win the k line. Relocating the grilles there. Heavys drive down below the ridge and spot. Everything that comes from the top gets blasted.

The top is not that important, its only important when people go there. The south gives you spots and snipes.

Even outnumbdered the south can easily win using visin advantage.

ahh randoms lol

Homer_J #6 Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27023 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostStewie2ie, on 23 June 2017 - 12:03 AM, said:

​your second answer is revealing?  I accept running over 0 line not good but when a map requires players to fight over 1 area, not the whole map is that really good map design?

I have long been of the opinion that the WoT playerbase needs maps where they have an obvious point of focus.  If they don't have an obvious battle ground to focus on they will just drift off looking at butterflies and flowers.

So no, I don't think it is bad map design, it is necessary map design.

View Postbrumbarr, on 23 June 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

LOL.  Yes, ideally the great tacticians these Grille drivers were should have laid out a detailed plan to their team and the team would have followed to the letter.

But it's WoT randoms, it's not going to happen.  If your main guns are chicken and run away from the fight then you have lost.

brumbarr #7 Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:13 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHomer_J, on 23 June 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

I have long been of the opinion that the WoT playerbase needs maps where they have an obvious point of focus.  If they don't have an obvious battle ground to focus on they will just drift off looking at butterflies and flowers.

So no, I don't think it is bad map design, it is necessary map design.

LOL.  Yes, ideally the great tacticians these Grille drivers were should have laid out a detailed plan to their team and the team would have followed to the letter.

But it's WoT randoms, it's not going to happen.  If your main guns are chicken and run away from the fight then you have lost.

My point is there should have been no fight to begin with in the first place. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users