Is Suicide (and such) okay?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Squirting_Elephant #1 Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9773 battles
  • [VIVU5] VIVU5

Sorry I know it has been asked before but the posts I could find were all really old and may be outdated.

So is suicide okay, assuming you don't do it at the start of battle into the nearest lake. But assume 14 opponents are coming for you and you are the last one alive because your team... You know... Is it allowed to:

- just drive into the lake then or jump to your death?

- just go max speed into the nearest enemy heavy tank and blow yourself up?

Does suiciding give you any penalties? And what about stats, are they affected now or still not?

I saw this post: http://forum.worldof...ally-forbidden/

Block Quote

Any conduct that is considered by Wargaming staff as disruptive to the gaming experience of others can be sanctioned

Erm... That is like... the vaguest ever. So if I kill 15 enemies, all solo, that is disruptive for the enemy team lol? Or a lighttank or medium facetanking a Jagdtiger that is 400m away hull down, unloading full gold ammo autoclip and getting out and winning the trade this does not seem to fit their role either.

Okay j/k but you get my point? This is too vague and only there for legal reasons. Besides, what is disruptive to me is that AT LEAST 30% of all games I play, has AT LEAST 1 flamer in it. And maybe 1 on 10 games one with extreme racism and homophobic slurs and whatnot. The reason I mostly disable team chat all together.

Block Quote

Because suicide goes against the mechanics of the game and game design and roles of each tank.

So doing anything that does not fit the role or design of a tank = punishment... Wut? I must be misunderstanding something. Because heavies, mediums and lights can perfectly snipe with current mechanics, but it does not fit their role (should get accuracy penalty or something for long range) and TD'S going facetank into battle (like me with my AT15, but it works!).

Also this means that some %$# blocking my shots, or people who just deal lots of damage but do not contribute to the team can be punished? I very very seriously doubt that. Not even boosters to get to sections of maps where you are not supposed to be get punished I believe. Nevermind those tiny problems.

I did have a case where I was the last tank alive. So I jumped of a cliff, aimed for an enemy tank (I actually hit him) and I blew us both up. My corpse stayed on top of the enemy tank and killed it over a couple of seconds (physics ftw). Game did not count my damage dealt to the enemy tank at all but didn't seem to count my suicide damage either. I was so dissapointed. Getting 1500ish damage done by jumping on enemy tank, but game does not recognize it...

/off-topic:

Killing enemy tanks by literally driving over them or staying on top of them (literally) does not seem to award any kind of damage dealt even though you obviously did. Bug?

Edited by Squirting_Elephant, 26 June 2017 - 08:59 AM.

qpranger #2 Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 32397 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Suicide is painless.

It brings on many changes.

And I can take or leave it if I please.

Squirting_Elephant #3 Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9773 battles
  • [VIVU5] VIVU5
I wasn't  talking about reallife suicide lol

signal11th #4 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 37022 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View Postqpranger, on 26 June 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

Suicide is painless.

you beat me to it.

Aikl #5 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25530 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Aside from exactly why you'd do that, if you drown yourself you get full repair costs and less crew XP (as they're all dead from drowning). You can still be banned for 'unsportsmanlike conduct', so feel free to try suiciding anytime.  ;)

As a side note, unless I suspect some enemy tank needs to kill me for a mission, I prefer going down guns blazing (and preferably sacrifice myself to someone deserving).

DuncaN_101 #6 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53219 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostAikl, on 26 June 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Aside from exactly why you'd do that, if you drown yourself you get full repair costs and less crew XP (as they're all dead from drowning). You can still be banned for 'unsportsmanlike conduct', so feel free to try suiciding anytime.  ;)

As a side note, unless I suspect some enemy tank needs to kill me for a mission, I prefer going down guns blazing (and preferably sacrifice myself to someone deserving).

Pretty much this 

Squirting_Elephant #7 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9773 battles
  • [VIVU5] VIVU5

View PostAikl, on 26 June 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

You can still be banned for 'unsportsmanlike conduct'

So basically: not allowed. Unless it's an accident. Ah yes I forgot about the crew xp penalty.

But I still think this is such a vague role/report option. I mean... That means I can send reports literally every game. Because my team & enemy team is unsportsmanlike every game.

Example:

I clear entire flank solo by myself (having amazing game and all my nearby allies died on sight) but light tank that camped in back of map all game long now races to the front lines and cleans up all 3 enemy arty before I can get there because I have slow speed... He now gets a good final score and good xp/credits but DID NOTHING. Unsportmandslike? YES! But I bet that when I report him, nothing will be done. Game rewards selfish behavior and suicide is selfish behavior as well.

Also 14 enemies coming for me and some arties on my roof while we are at it, me being last one alive, is imo unsportsmanlike. At least they can take turns and 1vs1 me until they win. Obviously this won't happen unless enemy team is noob. I know this is a stupid example but it is, to me personally, very unsportsmanlike.

And response from WG was even more vague. But at least question is answered. Thanks. I just alt-tab out then and set tank to auto-drive forward until they come for me. Can't really care about getting one more shot in.

Edited by Squirting_Elephant, 26 June 2017 - 09:12 AM.

qpranger #8 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 32397 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
To me suicide in WOT is a sign of sheer boredom and the blame is on the "developers" (more like undertakers) of this game, not on the suiciding players. You suicide in battles the outcome of which was decided by the MM even before it all started. It is a form of protest. People will not suicide en masse in a game where balance is good.

Aikl #9 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25530 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
There are most likely a lot of things

View PostSquirting_Elephant, on 26 June 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

So basically: not allowed. Unless it's an accident. Ah yes I forgot about the crew xp penalty.

Spoiler

There is no clear definition of what 'unsportsmanlike conduct' is, nor is there a definition of how many reports you need. It's pure speculation, but I think that a lot of reports over an amount of battles would indeed trigger a ban. Reporting was rumored to be reputation-based at one point, i.e. someone reporting anyone for anything didn't "count". Same might be valid for being reported, and might trigger a ban more easily in the future. Again, just speculation, but it makes some sense.

If you suicide regularly, I bet you can rack up enough reports quickly, while two players reporting you every game for spamming gold won't do the trick.

The term "unsportsmanlike conduct" is vague for a reason. While it is functional still, it's largely a button for angry people to press when they think they're treated unfairly or get killed by a "hacker".

To me, it's indeed 'unsportsmanlike' to not play to win. That includes tanks not doing anything, or people that does a 'suicide by cop' if they're not happy with the matchmaking.

It's not 'unsportsmanlike' to be good at the game, nor to not treat WoT as a gentleman's duel. In general it's also 'unsportsmanlike' to 'force' a draw, although sometimes it's the result that makes the most sense.

Edited by Aikl, 26 June 2017 - 09:30 AM.

Jigabachi #10 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSquirting_Elephant, on 26 June 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

Because my team & enemy team is unsportsmanlike every game.

Because your understanding of "unsportsmanlike cobduct" in this game is entirely wrong and twisted.

Neither the light tank going for arty at the end if the match is doing anything unsportsmanlike, nor the enemy team that refuses to queue up to 1vs1 you. What the hell, dude... 

@ suiciding: Everyone who does that at the start of the match should get permabanned. At the end, when the match is either lost or won, rushing into the next enemy is not really a problem. I do that every now and then when playing light tanks to not waste more time.

As long as the match is 100% decided, feel free to do that. Or go afk, which I do quite a lot these days.

Just don't drown or crash, that is always stupid.

Edited by Jigabachi, 26 June 2017 - 09:35 AM.

Dr_ownape #11 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 43338 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
no never - i always report them

Squirting_Elephant #12 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9773 battles
  • [VIVU5] VIVU5

View PostAikl, on 26 June 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Reporting was rumored to be reputation-based at one point, i.e. someone reporting anyone for anything didn't "count". Same might be valid for being reported, and might trigger a ban more easily in the future. Again, just speculation, but it makes some sense.

I hope so! With all those noob reports threats: "you are reported you noob", "reported for not scouting", "arty reported for missing O-Ni!" etc. (assuming they even report).

Personally I only report major flamers and AFK's. You know those games with 3 AFK in your team...

View PostAikl, on 26 June 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

To me, it's indeed 'unsportsmanlike' to not play to win.

I agree. But I must admit, neither do I. Why? It doesn't really get rewarded. Another example: If I see left flank dying and being bumrushed because 80% of enemy team is there. I'm not going to push right flank and facetank the first shots for my team. Instead I wait for enemy team in my flank to start bumrushing (because they are winning) so I can get easy a lot of damage in. I might have been able to win the game but why bother? Winning game with 0 damage dealt = pointless. I rather lose with a Fire for Effect if I can. And if I'm really lucky a teammate of mine does it for me (double profit).

Or we are 8k damage behind, I am at enemy cap, I know I can cap it in time and win a losing game. But I haven't done any damage yet and it's my x3 xp of the day battle. So instead I don't cap and just fight to the death instead. And if I care about my stats, I won't cap either. Just be sure to turn of teamchat because you will get flamed lol.

Problem is: Game does not reward winning games enough and many game-winning-plays are not rewarded or are even indirectly punished.

View PostJigabachi, on 26 June 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

the light tank going for arty at the end if the match is doing anything unsportsmanlike

Why not? What is so twisted about it? A light tank sitting out of spot range sniping or sometimes literally AFK-ing in base behind a hill waiting for opportunity while the AT15 (or whatever slow tank I'm grinding) has to facetank, spot & win game for him. Then he swoops in for the easy kills (which seriously, should have been my kills after all that hard work & luck!) and comes out with good stats, xp and credits... But he did literally nothing for the team and also did not fit his role, which apparently according to WG staff is required. He is a borderline bot. I would have rather not have him in the team at all.

You really find that sportsmanlike? I sure as hell don't.

Yeah the 1vs1 example was twisted :D but just to illustrate how vague the rules are.

Tulikukka #13 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:51 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1421 battles

Naah, it is not okay,

Correct way is to git gud and carry the game with arty but usually you're supposed to give last one good hit before you're dead because all that extra damage earns your credits and experience.

Marlekin #14 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 33412 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF

View Postqpranger, on 26 June 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Suicide is painless.

Wow I had no idea those were the lyrics, haha. Thanks for that! 

Enforcer1975 #15 Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Quickest way to get to the next game either solo or tooning when you don't expect anything to happen in the game anyway. Getting out of a horrible game 5s earlier can increase your life expectancy by 5d.

HundeWurst #16 Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 69735 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

You can do whatever you like to do.

By all means drown in the very beginning, if that is what you are looking for. Wargaming wont punish you for such behavior in any way. That is up to you.

However is suiciding in the end, when the game is lost sportsmanlike? Hell no! Especially in arty I consider something like that as extremely unsportsmanlike. I will report such behavior. Where is the honor these days?

Then again. I would like to see such behavior sanctioned by Wargaming. A day ban if you suicide in the end of the battle. Lets see how quickly that probelm is solved.

TungstenHitman #17 Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22089 battles

I don't use xvm or anything so I always frown on players that suicide at the start of a battle based on a forecast they clearly received from xvm or some similar mod because this is very stupid and all that happens is you get a maximum "nothing" round, no damage, no kills, no stats etc and the maximum repair bill outside of shooting your teammates.. so at this moment it's a stupid thing.

If a battle is clearly lost I mean 12 vs 1, bottom tier and barely a chance of a shot then I have never had a problem with a player suiciding, arty do this often and I understand why. I am bitter at losing so I take a little satisfaction at denying someone else on the winning team any chance of extra xp at my expense.. I will NOT be part of your high caliber, your top gun, your radleys, no sir not today so if I'm bottom tier and with a bunch of Patrick Starfish teammates which becomes clear as they all die within the first 30-50 seconds and do stupid things throughout then, when all is lost I will look to take a swim with the fish or fall from a great height where possible.

Note: Yoloing is also a sneaky way of suicide on maps that lack the lake or cliffs but I have done this a few times in which the battle turns into a complete camp off shitefest with both teams absolutely refusing to make a move.. this type of battle is ok now and then but sometimes just not in the mood for it and at least with yoloing, it not only disguises suicide since your teammates will just think your a total noob but you will probably get in a couple of shots and soak up some nice damage assist. What is really interesting is battles in which I do this, the first to die and STILL finish in the top8.. how BAD is that team??

I very rarely suicide however, practically never, maybe only 7 times, 5 of which were when the battle was totally lost and I was last player alive vs 10 or so.. even in such circumstances I would need to be bottom tier and practically already dead

TungstenHitman #18 Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:29 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22089 battles

View PostWunderWurst, on 26 June 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

Where is the honor these days?

Honor at what? being Edited by you? nah.. I understand when arty do this, got no problem with it at all.. in fact, I just give a wry smile and a little giggle when I'm charging at an arty position at the end of the battle and he suicides before I get to him, I understand why, and I would do the same myself. Better to be a good sport and get Edited the Edited by a superior tank used by a superior player eh?

Edited by Asklepi0s, 26 June 2017 - 11:35 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks

qpranger #19 Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 32397 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostWunderWurst, on 26 June 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Then again. I would like to see such behavior sanctioned by Wargaming. A day ban if you suicide in the end of the battle. Lets see how quickly that probelm is solved.

Yep, because Wargaming are really desperate right now to implement measures aimed at further reducing player interest in World of Tanks.

VeryRisky #20 Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

General

• Player
  • 17345 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'm doing perfectly fine at getting my tank killed without having to do it on purpose, thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users