3 marks, no ace tanker, the art of consistency.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

brumbarr #1 Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:21 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

So I want to talk about  consistency vs  good individual games and give some insight into very important skill that are rarely spoken about.

And to adres that I want to use the example of my UDES, I 3 marked it but have never had an ace tanker in my 136 games in it. So this is a very good example of consistent results  lead to less extreme games in both directions.

Proof:

Spoiler

Consistency, why?

One of the things you have to learn when trying to become a better player is to perform more consistently. When you can change horrible games in avg games you will perform on avg much better. Ommitting bad results is much easier than having an extraordinary game to make up for that game. 

Especially when you start doing MoE you start to become a master at it. Each bad results gets you down a lot, change that bad results in an avg result and your avg performance will go up. 

Consistency is key to be a better player and influence every game.

How?

To perform consistent comes down to  striking the perfect balance between aggresivness and passivness. This  is especially true in tank like the udes, to agressive => you die fast, be too passive  and you get no dmg.

Always remember that a dead tank is a tank that wont contribute,  so make sure you always stay alive. 

But also make sure you are as aggresive as possible. 

You need to ride the knifes edge, be as aggresive as possible, but stay alive!

Finding that edge comes with practice  and paying attention each game.

The second  key to conistency is having great risk/reward analysis.  You need to analye the situation you are in right now, analyse which moves give a certain reward with a certain chance of succes. Then choose the outcome with the highest expected value. Sometimes this might yield a worse results than another move, but on average, you will perform better.

This comes with practice aswell and cant be easily learned as it happens subconsiously.

The result?

If you can execute this perfectly you wil end up with more average games and less extreme games. This wil lelad to a better avg result but as a consequence also leads to les extreme result upwards, great games are often the results of taking risks that sometimes pay off and sometimes go horribly wrong. Not taking these risk will lead to a better avg performance but also to no extremly good results.

Coming back to my udes example, this is exactly what happened, but with this tank, the effect is amplified as the tank is very situational. To have extremely good games requires a special set of circomstances that rarely happens, but to 3 mark a tank you need good results every game and cant take the risk of having a bad game.  Camping in this tank usualy leads to really good games, but you can not camp too much otherwise your avg performance will suffer. This lead to me having no ace tankers but performing on avg very well leading to a 3 mark.

A good example is this game:

http://wotreplays.co...rumbarr-udes_03

You will see 2 examples of choices I made that lead to better avg games but less great games, and compare that to the other udes on my team that didnt make those choices:

1) Aggresive from the start. why?  I can not afford camping at the back from the beginning and then having my team totaly roflstomp the enemy and getting no dmg. Friendly udes did not choose to do this so has no risk of dying initialy which can lead to a great game when circumstances are right.

2) At around   7:00 I ahve the choice to camp where the friendly udes is camping or move to the right.

Staying on the right can yield to a great game IF the enemy pushes there, but msot times they wont push there since they are mostly TDs and we have a lot of presence there so my team also has to suck more then the enemy team, very specific cirmumstances. So it doesnt lead to a good avg result. I decide to be more active and move to the left and keep moving.

As you can see from the results screen, the friedly udes outperformed me this battle, he chose the sometimes a great game strategy that worked out this battle, I choose the good avg game strategy and if we play this game again and again with slightly different  enemy moves, I will outperform him on avg.

TLDR:  Being a unicum is more than pressing 2. Much more than most avg players can imagine.

I hope you found this interesting, discuss!

Edited by brumbarr, 27 June 2017 - 12:21 AM.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63736 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Tbh... Circon 3 Marked the Hellcat with 0 damage and 0 assist. So no ace needed :P

And I had 10K spotting assist when I aced mine the first time :P

The great thing about the UDES is the fact that the gun is not 100% locked to the hull. So for the 1 shot you need to take, and then get the hell out fast for. Siegless is not the worst idea.

Edited by Balc0ra, 27 June 2017 - 12:40 AM.

brumbarr #3 Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 27 June 2017 - 12:36 AM, said:

Tbh... Circon 3 Marked the Hellcat with 0 damage and 0 assist. So no ace needed :P

And I had 10K spotting assist when I aced mine the first time :P

The great thing about the UDES is the fact that the gun is not 100% locked to the hull. So for the 1 shot you need to take, and then get the hell out fast for. Siegless is not the worst idea.

Pretty sure he had an  ace in the hellcat in all his battles :p

Yeah, thats great, but the hull bounces up and down before you can aim, which is kinda annoying.

CmdPrompt #4 Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:07 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30639 battles
  • [B-D-O] B-D-O

View Postbrumbarr, on 27 June 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

Pretty sure he had an  ace in the hellcat in all his battles :p

Yeah, thats great, but the hull bounces up and down before you can aim, which is kinda annoying.

not nearly as annoying as trying to balance on a peak in the t9 and 10

Sfinski #5 Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:05 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 30513 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
I 3 marked Crom B with 1,2k game. Had a long pause playing it, I guess the requirements dropped and playing that game just pushed it over 95%...

Dr_ownape #6 Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:32 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 41535 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostSfinski, on 27 June 2017 - 04:05 AM, said:

I 3 marked Crom B with 1,2k game. Had a long pause playing it, I guess the requirements dropped and playing that game just pushed it over 95%...

oh I know that bizarre statistic. took elc out post 9.18 and got ensk. managed one shot and about 500 assist before I got wrecked.  result...3rd mark :teethhappy:

armandio #7 Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 79418 battles

View Postbrumbarr, on 27 June 2017 - 01:21 AM, said:

So I want to talk about  consistency vs  good individual games and give some insight into very important skill that are rarely spoken about.

And to adres that I want to use the example of my UDES, I 3 marked it but have never had an ace tanker in my 136 games in it. So this is a very good example of consistent results  lead to less extreme games in both directions.

Proof:

Spoiler

Consistency, why?

One of the things you have to learn when trying to become a better player is to perform more consistently. When you can change horrible games in avg games you will perform on avg much better. Ommitting bad results is much easier than having an extraordinary game to make up for that game. 

Especially when you start doing MoE you start to become a master at it. Each bad results gets you down a lot, change that bad results in an avg result and your avg performance will go up. 

Consistency is key to be a better player and influence every game.

How?

To perform consistent comes down to  striking the perfect balance between aggresivness and passivness. This  is especially true in tank like the udes, to agressive => you die fast, be too passive  and you get no dmg.

Always remember that a dead tank is a tank that wont contribute,  so make sure you always stay alive. 

But also make sure you are as aggresive as possible. 

You need to ride the knifes edge, be as aggresive as possible, but stay alive!

Finding that edge comes with practice  and paying attention each game.

The second  key to conistency is having great risk/reward analysis.  You need to analye the situation you are in right now, analyse which moves give a certain reward with a certain chance of succes. Then choose the outcome with the highest expected value. Sometimes this might yield a worse results than another move, but on average, you will perform better.

This comes with practice aswell and cant be easily learned as it happens subconsiously.

The result?

If you can execute this perfectly you wil end up with more average games and less extreme games. This wil lelad to a better avg result but as a consequence also leads to les extreme result upwards, great games are often the results of taking risks that sometimes pay off and sometimes go horribly wrong. Not taking these risk will lead to a better avg performance but also to no extremly good results.

Coming back to my udes example, this is exactly what happened, but with this tank, the effect is amplified as the tank is very situational. To have extremely good games requires a special set of circomstances that rarely happens, but to 3 mark a tank you need good results every game and cant take the risk of having a bad game.  Camping in this tank usualy leads to really good games, but you can not camp too much otherwise your avg performance will suffer. This lead to me having no ace tankers but performing on avg very well leading to a 3 mark.

A good example is this game:

http://wotreplays.co...rumbarr-udes_03

You will see 2 examples of choices I made that lead to better avg games but less great games, and compare that to the other udes on my team that didnt make those choices:

1) Aggresive from the start. why?  I can not afford camping at the back from the beginning and then having my team totaly roflstomp the enemy and getting no dmg. Friendly udes did not choose to do this so has no risk of dying initialy which can lead to a great game when circumstances are right.

2) At around   7:00 I ahve the choice to camp where the friendly udes is camping or move to the right.

Staying on the right can yield to a great game IF the enemy pushes there, but msot times they wont push there since they are mostly TDs and we have a lot of presence there so my team also has to suck more then the enemy team, very specific cirmumstances. So it doesnt lead to a good avg result. I decide to be more active and move to the left and keep moving.

As you can see from the results screen, the friedly udes outperformed me this battle, he chose the sometimes a great game strategy that worked out this battle, I choose the good avg game strategy and if we play this game again and again with slightly different  enemy moves, I will outperform him on avg.

TLDR:  Being a unicum is more than pressing 2. Much more than most avg players can imagine.

I hope you found this interesting, discuss!

So, u wanna say that u have "rare" skill to do stable average damage on udes to 3rd mark it, but u have not enough luck with special set of circumstances to get ace tanker on udes?!?:amazed:

Strange excuse...:confused:

Maybe u have not enough skill to make ace tanker for udes?

"Mastery Badge: Ace Tanker - Earn more experience in a single battle than the average highest experience of 99% of all players in the same tank within the last seven days."

Strange, u are blue player and 3rd mark udes and still doesnt have ace tanker on it.U must get special set of circumstances more often then average players...

I wish for u to get special set of circumstances to get ace tanker on udes, some day...:)

Edited by armandio, 27 June 2017 - 07:44 AM.

armandio #8 Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 79418 battles

View PostDrownape, on 27 June 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

oh I know that bizarre statistic. took elc out post 9.18 and got ensk. managed one shot and about 500 assist before I got wrecked.  result...3rd mark :teethhappy:

:teethhappy:

Edited by armandio, 27 June 2017 - 08:35 AM.

Junglist_ #9 Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35445 battles
Nice topic brumbarr! Can't really comment about the 3 marks part since I do not have any 3 marked tanks but even tho I don't have a bad overall win rate and have decent average dmg on the tanks I play a lot I very rarely have some kind of monster carry or pick up ace tankers on regular basis.

JuliusCheddar #10 Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28092 battles

View PostSfinski, on 27 June 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

Lol same, 1200 dmg game pushed my skoda t25 3% up (!) and got me the mark

shishx_the_animal #11 Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 30513 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View Postarmandio, on 27 June 2017 - 06:41 AM, said:

So, u wanna say that u have "rare" skill to do stable average damage on udes to 3rd mark it, but u have not enough luck with special set of circumstances to get ace tanker on udes?!?:amazed:

Strange excuse...:confused:

Maybe u have not enough skill to make ace tanker for udes?

"Mastery Badge: Ace Tanker - Earn more experience in a single battle than the average highest experience of 99% of all players in the same tank within the last seven days."

Strange, u are blue player and 3rd mark udes and still doesnt have ace tanker on it.U must get special set of circumstances more often then average players...

I wish for u to get special set of circumstances to get ace tanker on udes, some day...:)

armandio #12 Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 79418 battles

View Postshishx_the_animal, on 27 June 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

?

shishx_the_animal #13 Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 30513 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View Postarmandio, on 27 June 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

?

Exactly... maybe someone willing will explain it to you.

mikem70 #14 Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18065 battles
I think what he is saying is that average scrubs like me occasionally have outstanding games and get ace tankers but also more than my fair share of bad games so don't get many MOE's, in the tank he refers to he almost never has outstanding games, but has a lot of very good games, but not good enough to get an ace.

Barba_Electrica #15 Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17877 battles
------------------------

Edited by Barba_Electrica, 05 March 2018 - 02:25 PM.

shishx_the_animal #16 Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 30513 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostBarba_Electrica, on 27 June 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

Tell me about it; yesterday I played Chaffee for the first time in over six months. A totally crappy game, didn't check the results and voila: 96.5% and third mark. This is most likely an indication of worsening playerbase.

The Chaffee was a completely different tank 6 months ago and was able to farm more damage.

Barba_Electrica #17 Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17877 battles
-----------------------------------

Edited by Barba_Electrica, 05 March 2018 - 02:25 PM.

LaManche #18 Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18870 battles
  • [3EGS] 3EGS

When the Defenders rolled out, I stopped playing my IS-6 as I did not want to see Defenders as everybody were playing their new OP premium tank. After a week or two I played one game in IS-6... and somehow my MoE went up from 79% to 87%.

brumbarr #19 Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View Postmikem70, on 27 June 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

I think what he is saying is that average scrubs like me occasionally have outstanding games and get ace tankers but also more than my fair share of bad games so don't get many MOE's, in the tank he refers to he almost never has outstanding games, but has a lot of very good games, but not good enough to get an ace.

This pretty much

thestaggy #20 Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14841 battles

View Postmikem70, on 27 June 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

100% agree. I reckon my cap is around 1700 WN8. I can pull an epic game out and then have 2/3 games where I either do nothing constructive or fire two shots and die.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users