distribution matchmaking bug wargaming customer service support

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

InstallingPatience #1 Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4061 battles
  • [OAP] OAP

I am a noob:child:. I am still learning the game. I know I am bad and must practice:bush:.

What I also know is when you go into a game and on my team there is 1 player of 52% win and everybody else, especially me, is below 48%, It doesn't help matters when the opposing team has 4 players above 52% win and most of the others are close to 50 as well:justwait:.

The outcome is obvious:arta:.

Spoiler

Now, while I am not bitter about this (remember, noob still learning to play:bajan:), I do think that this is poor matchmaking algorithm and not only ruined a match for my team but surely must have been no fun for the opposite team.  It would have been easy to have distributed the fine players a little better thereby eaqualizing the odds a little.

My question: is this correctly applied random distribution (even though similar seems to happens a lot) or is it the time of day, or is it deliberate to give players a chance at easy farming of poor players (like myself)

Also when do you good players not play, I don't want to play with you, at least not yet...:hiding:

I appreciate reasoned response and please no "learn to play before you comment, comments",  I get it.

Thank you for your time

Peace & Hair Grease brothers

Edited by InstallingPatience, 28 June 2017 - 11:45 AM.

malachi6 #2 Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 49264 battles

So a skilled MM thread.  These are 2 a penny on these forums.  Bear in mind that you also get the converse, where your team is made up of "skilled" players.  over series of games it tends to even out.  

Also if you are a "noob" and need to learn.  Don't fixate on stats.  Focus on learning the mechanics, maps and metas.

Edited by malachi6, 28 June 2017 - 12:53 PM.

shishx_the_animal #3 Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 30730 battles
  • [FAIME] FAIME

This is a mandatory git gud post.

Git gud.

Kind regards,

shishx 6

Captain_Kremen0 #4 Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36823 battles
If you cant git gud get average. In fact stay at average otherwise your'e next thread will be "Arta focus on me cos I gud"

InstallingPatience #5 Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4061 battles
  • [OAP] OAP

View Postmalachi6, on 28 June 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

So a skilled MM thread.  These are 2 a penny on these forums.  Bear in mind that you also get the converse, where your team is made up of "skilled" players.  over series of games it tends to even out.  

Also if you are a "noob" and need to learn.  Don't fixate on stats.  Focus on learning the mechanics, maps and metas.

Thank you Malachi, I understand your point.  It just seems that I am frequently in teams of a low mean win rate which, given I have a bad win rate (noob etc) it would even out if I (and anyone else who would benefit) was put with players who tend to win more games and I would have more opportunity to learn.  In the experience of seasoned players is this wrong to assume?

shishx_the_animal #6 Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 30730 battles
  • [FAIME] FAIME

View PostInstallingPatience, on 28 June 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

Thank you Malachi, I understand your point.  It just seems that I am frequently in teams of a low mean win rate which, given I have a bad win rate (noob etc) it would even out if I (and anyone else who would benefit) was put with players who tend to win more games and I would have more opportunity to learn.  In the experience of seasoned players is this wrong to assume?

The game has a pathetic ingame tutorial and only written "how-to" which nobody reads. You'll just have to grind and grind. But feel free to ask anything that you might not know or anything that confuses you.

Edited by shishx_the_animal, 28 June 2017 - 01:07 PM.

InstallingPatience #7 Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4061 battles
  • [OAP] OAP

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 28 June 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

If you cant git gud get average. In fact stay at average otherwise your'e next thread will be "Arta focus on me cos I gud"

Arty focus on me as well, I accept the irony.

I know I don't yet know all the places on the map to go and sit off or choke points, this is why I would like more time, time to get 'average'.

I don't think i will ever be 'gud' but this is fine.

View Postshishx_the_animal, on 28 June 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

The game has a pathetic ingame tutorial and only written "how-to" which nobody reads. You'll just have to grind and grind. But feel free to ask anything that you might not know or anything that confuses you.

Thank you for the offer of advice.

I agree about 'how-to' guides.   I am still learning things that I know are basic, like swapping skills and perks when they reach 100%. 

This is no doubt in some WG guide but I haven't seen it.

I haven't the time to read through large guides and prefer to pick points when I need them but a checklist of real useful, actually practical tips would be good from Wargaming.

I know lots of people have put out their own useful tip list and guides but there are so many different opinions it clouds the actual useful knowledge.

Edited by Jahrakajin, 28 June 2017 - 03:44 PM.

Jigabachi #8 Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

What keeps you from noting down some data to answer your questions yourself?

edit: Next time you should install patience BEFORE buying a hightier premtank. If you play higher tiers (where you are expected to have learned quite a few things already...) but continuously fail, it will obviously make the experience you explain here much worse.

Edited by Jigabachi, 28 June 2017 - 03:10 PM.

Cannes76 #9 Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64603 battles
  • [3V] 3V
This is just the nature of random.

Kozzy #10 Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2
Winning feels 'right' so you don't notice the wins so much and when you lose, which feels 'wrong' you start to over analyse and come to the wrong conclusion.  Hence people, usually those with lower than average stats, tend to blame things other than themselves, forgetting that the only constant in ALL their games is them.

Suurpolskija #11 Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO
Even if you "git gud" it'll only help your mm so that there's at least one good player on your team.

The spirit of random battle is that it's random and allows good players to impact the outcome of the battle more often than skill based mm would. If all teams would be equal, every player would be close to 50% winrate.

So, just accept the random factor and don't get caught on bad teams. Chances are the next one will be a good team. Or not. Because there's no karma in the code. Random is random.

Edited by Suurpolskija, 28 June 2017 - 04:00 PM.

AliceUnchained #12 Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

General

• Player
  • 38168 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostInstallingPatience, on 28 June 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

I do think that this is poor matchmaking algorithm 

MM does not take into consideration player win rate, or any other rating. So which is your gripe? That MM works as intended, but not how you want it to? Or that MM isn't working as intended (and thus bugged)?

As for those commenting 'Git gud'; ignore them peasants. Git Fort Knox instead.

Aikl #13 Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

WoT fits fairly well with the law of large numbers, and for proper sample sizes (hundreds of battles) can be considered something like a skewed coin flip. Your skill affects the probability of that coin flipping to 'victory'. instead of 'defeat'.

Hence, the 'git gud' advice makes sense. Doesn't have to be too literal, even, the idea is to be useful - if you're useful, you'll likely win more battles. Doing damage at the right time, spotting for intel, distracting the enemy... yeah.

A couple of other things I find useful are:

1. Don't use the mod that shows you how good players are when in a match.

2. Be in your happy place before you start up the game (or drink)

3. Stop playing when you're not having fun or you're too tired to play.

4. Oh, and whenever you die/win a battle, consider what killed you and why. That way you'll learn. Depending on how prone you are to conditioning, you might find it useful to administer a slap to your own face when you're playing like crap and reward yourself with beer/chocolate/...something when you do good.

Jokes aside, it's mostly booze and guessing gitting gud.

Edited by Aikl, 28 June 2017 - 09:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users