Artillery Players

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

saidor #1 Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10406 battles

Hey Guys,

Just looking to improve my game play with artillery. I think i'm pretty decent with them but I do have some areas I would like help with.

Aiming.

One of the problems I have with aiming is that if a tank vanishes from sight, after you have fired, you aim shifts and you generally miss. Obviously WG have a bad mechanic here but it is what it is and we have to find a way to deal with it. What ways have you uys found to compensate for this?

Also, where abouts on a tank do you prefer to aim? Especially on high level heavies.

Best locations on maps.

Any good guides out there? especially for city maps. One of the biggest frustrations is not being able to support the rest of the team on city maps.

Mods.

What do you guys use? Whats out there that specifically helps artillery?

I only have one that marks where tanks were last seen. This is certainly useful as I find spotting is pretty poor in game these days.

rurkovsky #2 Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 47041 battles
*edited*

Edited by Jbnn, 30 June 2017 - 08:05 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

Cannes76 #3 Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 66450 battles
  • [ORIGN] ORIGN

*edited* off-topic

Edited by Jbnn, 30 June 2017 - 08:06 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

unhappy_bunny #4 Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:03 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18092 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

Welcome to the least toxic forum in the world.

Your two responders both have arty up to T10 in their garages.

Best to ignore such players.

There are several people with videos on youtube, take a look there.

Edited by unhappy_bunny, 29 June 2017 - 09:07 PM.

Scabolcz #5 Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14041 battles
Well... For one know your angles when in city maps, there are some positions that allow some good angles into enemy tanks while remain hidden.

Re position if you don't have shots and always try to get as close as possible to increase your accuracy... And make sure your shot is applied to the right enemy, don't make useless shots

That's it :justwait:

AvalancheZ257 #6 Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3926 battles
  • [3WCST] 3WCST

View Postsaidor, on 29 June 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

Just looking to improve my game play with artillery. I think i'm pretty decent with them but I do have some areas I would like help with.

Aiming.

One of the problems I have with aiming is that if a tank vanishes from sight, after you have fired, you aim shifts and you generally miss. Obviously WG have a bad mechanic here but it is what it is and we have to find a way to deal with it. What ways have you uys found to compensate for this?

Also, where abouts on a tank do you prefer to aim? Especially on high level heavies.

Best locations on maps.

Any good guides out there? especially for city maps. One of the biggest frustrations is not being able to support the rest of the team on city maps.

Mods.

What do you guys use? Whats out there that specifically helps artillery?

I only have one that marks where tanks were last seen. This is certainly useful as I find spotting is pretty poor in game these days.

Don't expect a warm reception here. No one likes arty, and even less are willing to share tricks of the trade that will make another arty player better. 

VeryRisky #7 Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

General

• Player
  • 17345 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Answering the last one, you don't need any mods now that they included the new view mode.  

rurkovsky #8 Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 47041 battles

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 29 June 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

You could use those videos yourself...

73north #9 Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39757 battles

I have loads of games on my You Tube channel - in artillery

check them out , I have Ace Tankers in French , Russian , American , German and

especially British SPG's - Tier 2 to Tier 10 - and a few bombardiers

As regards getting better , if you use Premium HE Shells , you are far better to use them at the Higher Tiers as your accuracy is poorer the

higher up the tiers you go - there are guides in all my videos on where to aim and what equipment works best -

A Good Aim Arty Mod is essential , I recommend the Jimbo's Gun Sight , and if you can find it Deegie's Gun Sight ( used in all my videos )

I also used Battle Assistant where there was a chokepoint or where tanks camp , or where you get a static battle ( like Malinovka )

as regards aiming , always better to aim the reticle so it passes through the tank - rather than over it ( more devastating when it hits )

and if you can get a shot at an enemy Heavy Tank at their rear , that's also really bad for them -

if you want to ask any more questions , post them on my video here .

kind regards

David

unhappy_bunny #10 Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18092 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View Postrurkovsky, on 29 June 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Nah! don't play arty enough to worry about vids.

HeidenSieker #11 Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:33 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

(snips, my numbering)

1. One of the problems I have with aiming is that if a tank vanishes from sight, after you have fired, you aim shifts and you generally miss.

2. Also, where abouts on a tank do you prefer to aim? Especially on high level heavies.

3. Best locations on maps.

4. Any good guides out there? especially for city maps. One of the biggest frustrations is not being able to support the rest of the team on city maps.

5. Mods.

1) Keey your mouse still. Look at features you can see from "artillery view" to mark the spot to fire at. Maybe "T" the target.

2) "Above" if not shooting directly at it! N.B. with SPGs capable of "stun" you should be stunning. A direct hit is only a bonus. Trying to stun something which no-one can attack is a bit of a waste if there are targets people can attack. I camn't advise on "high level" play; from what I have seen, though, it's no better than mid-tier, and exudes poison. Avoid.

3) Depends on your SPG. there are general guides, but little specific. Some SPGs (Bishop, FV304, anything else short range/high arc) do not even have these.

4) See 3. Try and find a place where you can get a good angle uncluttered by buildings etc. You will have to experiment. Use another account as well, as your SPG one, and practice using "training rooms" to see where's good, as well as watch replays/videos. You don't have to waste SP by actually shooting, then.

5) None.

Do they really? Rurkovsky & Cannes76? ROFL!!!

View PostAvalancheZ257, on 29 June 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

No one likes arty, and even less are willing to share tricks of the trade that will make another arty player better. 

I like SPGs, and other vehicles too (up to T6, not above, gameplay and many players are poisonous). Yes, it's good to share tactics, too.

View Postrurkovsky, on 29 June 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Oh, come on now, you like SPGs too (except FV304/Bert it seems, in which your performance is even worse than mine) :)

Edited by Jbnn, 30 June 2017 - 08:10 AM.

RockyRoller #12 Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32230 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS

View PostCannes76, on 29 June 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

Here's what you do: In the garage, choose the arty vehicle you like the most, and click the "sell vehicle" button, verify the amount by typing in the silver value of the vehicle and click confirm.

Repeat with the procedue with the rest of your arties.

every shell is money well spent

Cannes76 #13 Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 66450 battles
  • [ORIGN] ORIGN

View PostHeidenSieker, on 29 June 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

Do they really? Rurkovsky & Cannes76? ROFL!!!

I have 1 tier X arty out of more than 40 tier X tanks, with arty games numbering maybe 1% of total games played... Hardly qualifies me as an arty player, now does it?

SABAOTH #14 Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:49 AM

Major

• Player
  • 36793 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

Here is a video that comes useful to me when playing arty.

Besides, just practice with the shell velocity, you can generally hit "weakspots" of moving tanks if you can predict with the shell.

Edited by SABAOTH, 30 June 2017 - 05:52 AM.

AC130Pilot #15 Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15165 battles

Be the Fire Corrector of your team.

Use "T" (by default) to constantly (not just 1 time) mark the last known position of the enemy that you were aiming at if it has just disappeared. Some of the allies have already learned to use this information and tend to shoot directly below those 3 red arrows leading to a white line oftenly resulting in damaging, even killing the enemy. Not all SPG players shoot at the markings, so at the start of the battle write something like this: "SPGs please focus same target till it's dead for stun bonus. Mark by pressing T. Press F5 if you confirm." And most of the times F5 is pressed by allied SPGs, so just try it.

Kozzy #16 Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

I suggest you use the forum search and/or go to the relevant part of the forum (SPG section) for more helpful advise.

But I recently answered a query from someone else who didn't use the forum search:

View PostKozzy, on 30 June 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Asking how to be skillful in a class that takes such a small amount of skill to be 'effective'.  

Sure: sit at back of map, let team mates risk themselves so enemies get spotted, put one hand down pants and smash face against left mouse button from time to time while waving your cursor, roughly, where the enemy is.

For bonus points: don't aim for heavy armour that is being played defensively, instead aim for lowish HP tanks that are face-hugging your team mates' lowish HP tanks...

HeidenSieker #17 Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostAC130Pilot, on 30 June 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

Use "T" (by default) to constantly (not just 1 time) mark the last known position of the enemy that you were aiming at if it has just disappeared. Some of the allies have already learned to use this information and tend to shoot directly below those 3 red arrows leading to a white line oftenly resulting in damaging, even killing the enemy. Not all SPG players shoot at the markings, so at the start of the battle write something like this: "SPGs please focus same target till it's dead for stun bonus. Mark by pressing T. Press F5 if you confirm." And most of the times F5 is pressed by allied SPGs, so just try it.

So when playing SPGs people are supposed to search the map for transitory markers placed by other SPG players, which anyway may not indicate accurately where a red tank is?

qpranger #18 Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 32397 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Artillery players are the salt of the earth. Even unicums like Circon realise that and showcase amazing arty battles, take a look at his latest M44 replay.

Long_Range_Sniper #19 Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

General

• Player
  • 32520 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

and on top of all of it read the minimap and relocate to support your team, and avoid being flanked. 

If you do get flanked remember to give polite feedback after the game to the enemy tank.

gI37YAe.jpg

Homer_J #20 Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Hey Guys,

Arty is the hardest class to actually make a difference in.

Aiming.

Move my aim back?

Generally put my aim point just on the far side of the enemy tank so the shell trajectory goes through the tank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users