• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Hey Guys how's it.

Quick question. I see there is a nice discount on the tier6 Soviet lines at the moment and I was thinking about picking up a T34-85 again. I had one briefly ages ago and was a really bad player then, more so than now even lol.. but can't remember much about it. Anyway does anyone play this tank much lately and how does it fair in in the current mm format and against the tier8 opponents I could potentially get? At worst it's only going to be against 3 tier8 I think and should be able to handle itself well against most tier7 tanks I should expect since most tier7's don't really make any leaps forward in terms of gun improvement apart from a few. 

I also have the option of picking up the other tier6 Soviet MT, the A-43. I never had this tank just unlocked ages ago when I had a T34 but didn't like the look of that line much with the rear turret oddball looking tier7 and 8 I don't see much of. Has anyone got an A-43 and how does that fair? It has 2 interesting gun choices so that needs advice on too if I bought one. 

Thanks 

http://tanks.gg/compare/t-34-85?e=18.21.5&t=a-43___18.21.5~a-43_41111c__18.21.5

JuliusCheddar #2 Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28001 battles

I feel t34-85 is the better choice, it's a really well rounded tank, 180 alpha is nasty for a tier 6 and it's generally one of the best tier 6 mediums. (I hate cromwell though so I may be biased) 

A43 is a one trick pony with that DPM. Nothing more. 

And no, A43 does not have a gun choice. 57mm is the only way to go. 

With t34 on the other hand you can go full Circonflexes with 122 mm :p

Keep in mind t34 has horribly long and expensive stock grind for a tier 6. Like, seriously, wtf? 

Edited by JuliusCheddar, 01 July 2017 - 05:55 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #3 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44139 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

The a-43 is amazing. Really fun and quite good too, as long as you're not fighting tier 8 heavies. I have only played it with the 57mm: reload is below 2s, nice accuracy and gun handling. The tank has really nice mobility to flank and circle the enemy. Not as fast (top speed) as a cromwell and disappointing gun depression (view range is mediocre too btw), but gun handling and small profile compensate a bit. Recommended tank :)

Never played the t34-85.

TungstenHitman #4 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostJuliusCheddar, on 01 July 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

I feel t34-85 is the better choice, it's a really well rounded tank, 180 alpha is nasty for a tier 6 and it's generally one of the best tier 6 mediums.

Ok thanks I will probably buy one so for hopefully, a bit of fun and competitiveness on all maps. Is the sloped armour of ANY use whatsoever and is the frontal turret armour and mantlet of any use? I see it doesn't take a vert which sucks but neither does the other one. I already have everything but the top engine unlocked from the last time I had one wayyyyyyyyyy back yonder so it should feel pretty much as good as it will get from the first battle.. might even cheap out and take advantage of this X2 kursk crew in effect instead of buying gold crew or maybe not I'll see

Isharial #5 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18335 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 July 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

Hey Guys how's it.

Quick question. I see there is a nice discount on the tier6 Soviet lines at the moment and I was thinking about picking up a T34-85 again. I had one briefly ages ago and was a really bad player then, more so than now even lol.. but can't remember much about it. Anyway does anyone play this tank much lately and how does it fair in in the current mm format and against the tier8 opponents I could potentially get? At worst it's only going to be against 3 tier8 I think and should be able to handle itself well against most tier7 tanks I should expect since most tier7's don't really make any leaps forward in terms of gun improvement apart from a few.

I also have the option of picking up the other tier6 Soviet MT, the A-43. I never had this tank just unlocked ages ago when I had a T34 but didn't like the look of that line much with the rear turret oddball looking tier7 and 8 I don't see much of. Has anyone got an A-43 and how does that fair? It has 2 interesting gun choices so that needs advice on too if I bought one.

Thanks

http://tanks.gg/compare/t-34-85?e=18.21.5&t=a-43___18.21.5~a-43_41111c__18.21.5

I think, personally, the A-43 is now the better tank, its better hull armour, so more potential bounces, but I wouldnt rely on it, and its also faster (which is the whole point I hated about the T34-85, its slower than a god damn jumbo, and If I want a med that slow, i'll buy a jumbo....)

however, the T-34-85 grind I did a long time after the A-43 (which was the first T6 I ever owned) and that shows in my stats as I sucked in it, suck in both tbh

the inaccurate gun of the T34-85, coupled with the poor pen and the useless mobility made for a T6 med, I longed to rid myself of.. couldn't do it though until I had ground out a proper crew in it which probably did nothing for my performance in it

in my mind, the jumbo is one the better T6 mediums, can do pretty much everything but spot, and really, its an "in your face" style med, so whats view range to it?

imo, buy a jumbo, and don't look at either of these 2 Russian meds again

Edited by Isharial, 01 July 2017 - 06:07 PM.

TungstenHitman #6 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 01 July 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

The a-43 is amazing. Really fun and quite good too, as long as you're not fighting tier 8 heavies. I have only played it with the 57mm: reload is below 2s, nice accuracy and gun handling. The tank has really nice mobility to flank and circle the enemy. Not as fast (top speed) as a cromwell and disappointing gun depression (view range is mediocre too btw), but gun handling and small profile compensate a bit. Recommended tank :)

Never played the t34-85.

...and suddenly I delay buying the T34, knew this would happen lol. I suppose maybe the playstyle difference between the two is the factor? 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 01 July 2017 - 06:08 PM.

TungstenHitman #7 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostIsharial, on 01 July 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

imo, buy a jumbo, and don't look at either of these 2 Russian meds again

lol! maybe there's a sale next weekend, it's not discounted this one for some reason, I think it's only Russian and German discounts for the battle of Kursk commemoration I guess 

JuliusCheddar #8 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28001 battles

One sad thing with t34-85 is that it's completely outclassed by premium t34-85m. 

Armour of this chassis is surprisingly bouncy even at tier 7 (konstrukta t34/100) but mainly because players you meet at these tiers are generally terrible at aiming. If you wiggle you're gonna bounce but don't expect it to win a 1v1 for you. 

Also keep in mind t34-85m has 30mm more all around just because

lord_chipmonk #9 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32183 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
Personally, I don't like the T-34-85 but loved the A-43. 

JuliusCheddar #10 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28001 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 July 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

...and suddenly I delay buying the T34, knew this would happen lol. I suppose maybe the playstyle difference between the two is the factor? 

180 alpha and - 7 gun depression is a lovely combo at tier 6.

A43 has mobility closer to a light tank though. 

(OLD LTs I mean, new ones are way more agile) 

Edited by JuliusCheddar, 01 July 2017 - 06:23 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #11 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44139 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 July 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Playstyle definitely differs. T-34-85 seems more allround indeed, a-43 is a fast and effictive flanker, works excellent in wolfpacks.

Aikl #12 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

T-34-85 works allright due to a meaty gun, that for very historical Soviet reasons1 has 300-damage HE rounds. This makes it superb for hunting light tanks and Scorpion Gs. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it it's actually hilarious to wreck paper TDs and lights rushing in for an easy kill.

Gun handling, on the other hand, is typical mid-tier medium. Ranges from 'meh' to incredibly annoying if you are used to/prefer low dispersion.
Armor, well, at least it doesn't get penned by HE... that often, angled plates all around means you can pull off some bounces from angling alone even against guns that should wreck you. Zig-zag and bait shots into your angled sides... works surprisingly often. Far from reliable, though try putting your tank butt towards a wall and peek out. Works until someone shoots your turret.

1Unlike most references to this type of historical accuracy, it has some basis in more filling in their HE rounds, I believe.

Edited by Aikl, 01 July 2017 - 06:26 PM.

lord_chipmonk #13 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32183 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

The problem with the T-34 is the gun is derpy as all hell. As a result I hate it. A-43 has nice soft stats, lovely mobility armour that can bounce a shot every once in a while. Just a joy to play. Kinda like the Cromwell. 

I'll just leave these here in case they're useful. 

Edited by lord_chipmonk, 01 July 2017 - 06:26 PM.

PowJay #14 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33840 battles

I've had the T-34-85 for an age now. While I am not awesome in it, I think that it is one of the best tanks in the game at its tier, THE best tier VI medium and altogether one that you MUST have in your garage.

The A-43 on the other hand was one that I never intended, nor expected, to enjoy. For a good while it did seem to hold its own and I thought that it might surprise me and be a "keeper". A string of losses in recent times finally brought it down to 50% WR and it became the latest tank to be sold as a result of underwhelming performance. I am not sure what went wrong toward the end. I am pretty sure that I can take some of the blame for losses, but that is because the tank is not able to carry as well as the T-34-85 and it's excellent 85mm gun, I guess.

Press2ForSkill #15 Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14625 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM
well i have a friend that 3 marked the A43 and t34 85, he says that the A43 is more fun though, and he has a better average in the a43.. it is a beast little tank

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV
I could also get the T150 heavy tank instead.. is that fun? anyone play that thing? which has more lols potential in it?

TungstenHitman #17 Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:33 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Wow.. Saturday nights Sunday morning I played this game for too long between watching tv and scratching my backside anyway I went ahead and bought the T34-85 after much consideration.. perhaps the A-43 is better why wouldn't it be afterall it it was designed as a replacement for the T34 and given the number in Soviet military developments is usualy derived from either the year it was produced or caliber of weapon it is fair to say that the A-"1943" vs T-"1934" is nearly a decade later so one would expect some advancements in the decade that passed but clearly not nearly enough since the T34 was a constantly evolving tank too with the 85 version making reference to it's new 85mm gun which included a larger 3 man turret, various upgrades throughout, significant refinement overall vs the original and arguable very little in common with the original T34.. so much so that the A43 was therefore good but not good enough and so the heavily evolved, much improved and most importantly, proven T34-85 with it's countless hours of field testing and refinement was continued.. don't forget with all that evolution and improvement comes reliability too.. from mistakes and failures comes a much improved and reliable product as we would expect of anything.

So here it is in my garage and I took advantage of the camo discount too just to spruce it up a bit and add a personal touch. The Soviet camo options are always hard for me to decide upon but usually I go with the camo which best breaks up and conceals obvious weak spots like gun ports, hatches, etc etc.. makes sense.. some camo actually highlights gun ports and hatches i.e. it can be a very dark camo scheme or very bright yet the gun port is highly pronounced with a contrasting with bright or dark colour.. doesn't really make sense. I'm sure this has very little influence in surviving a 1vs1 but you know what if it even has the desired effect just once then that's 1 battle I survived more than I would have without lol

Spoiler

Here's the shocking thing I learned though, I had this tank before which I knew, a long time ago. Turns out I had this tank for much longer than I thought, 222 battles in fact! 

Spoiler

Though I never hit any great heights with it.. a really sad maximum experience of only 880 omg.. the maximum damage I managed is 2400 which actually isn't all that bad for tier6 and much better than I though or the max experience would have suggested but I guess was in a loss. Anyway, I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to the historical side of things and really couldn't resist getting a T34 again, the legend that is!! 150 pen at tier6 is pretty decent with a 200 pen option and a meaty HE dmg round to clip a light armour tank too so really looking forward to trying to Ace it and stick a couple of MoE on it's barrel.. at least I hope so, I may not click with the T34, this is possible I might just be terrible with it.. I will give it realistically fair run to get a proper gauge and understanding of what this tank is about and if it's a tank I enjoy perhaps I might pick up the T34-85M which clearly is a souped up version in all areas

JocMeister #18 Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20592 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

The A-43 is more fun to play IMHO due to its speed and RoF.. But overall I would say the T34-85 is a better tank.  In fact its my most played tank as I have trained 3 Soviet MT crews in it! it very comfortable to play and can perform with any MM and map. 

3 marked the T34-85 a month ago or so. You only need like 1500-1700 combined so its pretty easy to do. 

Edited by JocMeister, 02 July 2017 - 05:59 AM.

TungstenHitman #19 Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostJocMeister, on 02 July 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

The A-43 is more fun to play IMHO due to its speed and RoF.. But overall I would say the T34-85 is a better tank. 

Finally got time today to try the T34-85, still needs it's top engine but so far so good and I like it tbh.. like most say, it doesn't shine at anything in particular but it doesn't suck at anything really either, it move along fast enough for most situations, can pen most things it should be taking on frontally and shoots away at a decent rate of fire to keep the damage and kills turning over nicely. armor is meh but not totally hopeless if used properly, the 300dmg HE is really nice against light armoured vehicles and some of the tougher armour where standard and even gold rounds prove pointless so ya.. overall it's solid tank for all occasions.. has pretty useful accuracy when fully aimed for the odd bit of camping where needed, happy to have bought it.

On the second battle I picked up it's first MoE

Spoiler

and the very next battle I bagged and Ace.. God I love those shiny gold badges lol! Check out the meaty high role of 313dmg from the HE round on the SPIC, that sent him backwards fast lol!! That HE is VERY nice, I tried to catch a Hellcat with one two as he disappeared from sight and the damage and critical would suggest I also caught him with it as that is a LOT more damage than just the single AP round I tagged him with just prior to loading the HE. 

I went full on gold from then out since the battle was so tight, a win and an Ace was on and the extra pen and shell velocity was just what was called for vs a Tiger and whatever else was a problem... 

http://wotreplays.com/site/3682761#karelia-tungstenhitman-t-34-85

Edited by TungstenHitman, 02 July 2017 - 05:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users