Was this a shot trap? (replay/screenshot included)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Just an extra (4 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Is shot trapping a reliable tactic?

1. Yea (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Nope (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No, use gold next time otherwise you make soviet tanks look bad (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Hide poll

HeatSeekerGTR #1 Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:19 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15336 battles
  • [SCAMR] SCAMR

Greetingz fellas!

I'll get straight to the point. Just a moment ago had a casual game with tier 8 Stalinium-alloy tech (as in, IS-6), and, just as the battle was about to end, made a hopeless shot at a Defender which was right in front of my face at knife-distance. To my surprise the shell (AP 175 pen, mind you) somehow went through the front of the thing which should be pretty much impossible.

I then went to see the replay to see how the holy grain did that happen.

(Here, if anyone wants to analyze the completely trash IS6 gameplay by a complete tool: http://wotreplays.com/site/3685160#live_oaks-heatseekergtr-is-6)

Screenshot a split-second before firing for those who hate rubbish replays:

I mean... I am aware that shot traps exist (have seen plenty happening to weak hull T34s T29s T32s and so on), but to have a 175 pen shell penetrate a fellow Stalinium monster through the front? I'm having shivers here, man...

On the other hand... if anyone else confirms this stuff, I'm probably going to start purposely shooting Defenders here.

Thank you for your time and have a splendid day and tons of silver and xp!

NINJA EDIT:
Just took a look at tanks.gg and there is a SMALL portion of the 30mm top hull there. But still rather unreal for a deflecting shot to hit there though...

Edited by HeatSeekerGTR, 04 July 2017 - 10:25 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

RamRaid90 #2 Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:43 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22451 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Yes it is a reliable tactic vs the face hugging defender, as it is with a T26E4 and T26E5.

http://tanks.gg/tank/defender/model

If you observe the armour profile there is a rather large gap between the turret and hull. If you manage to hit the bottom of the turret face and richochet into the hull it is only 50mm thick there which is almost a guaranteed penetration. If you're more than a stones throw away however it is unreliable at best.

Edited by RamRaid90, 04 July 2017 - 12:46 AM.

Spurtung #3 Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 66033 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostRamRaid90, on 04 July 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

If you observe the armour profile there is a rather large gap between the turret and hull. If you manage to hit the bottom of the turret face and richochet into the hull it is only 50mm thick there which is almost a guaranteed penetration. If you're more than a stones throw away however it is unreliable at best.

*30mm and HE likes that gap.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users