• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

NoPoet406 #1 Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2371 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Greetings all!

So I've recently spent time trying to understand my WN8 and improve on it where possible. A few months ago it was 7.5, now it's over 400. My "recent WN8" is now rarely less than 800 and often over 1000. However, my overall WN8 only seems to increase by 2-5 points a time. Last night I had a pretty bad time and I played at around 320 WN8, which caused my score to drop by 2.6. I made up for this by playing at 1100 WN8. However, despite this vast improvement, my overall WN8 improved by around 2.4.

My poor performance did more damage than a superlative (for me) performance could fix. This is getting really annoying now. Why does a bad performance outweigh a good one? Why is my WN8 increasing so slowly when I've had about five days in a row of ~1000 WN8? Do I need to grind each tank until their stats are no longer in the black? (This would mean re-purchasing tanks I hate, such as the excremental T56 GMC, which I could never do anything with, and spending potentially weeks or months in flat-out bad tanks like the Churchill GC. This is turn will likely ruin my stats until I have mastered each tank.)

Is our total WN8 made up of WN8 per-tank, divided between them all?

CoDiGGo #2 Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14715 battles
  • [MOARR] MOARR
You should not care about wn8, you should care about understanding game mechanisms, survive, weak spots, learn from errors. Wn8 will raise as you raise as a player, and not the other way.

Masternaut #3 Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23568 battles
  • [HSOP] HSOP

Have we played 1060 battles? Yes!

Should we be worried about WN8 after 1060 battles? Absolutely not!

Sfinski #4 Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29741 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
I mean "total" is quite self explanatory... 

MarcoStrapone #5 Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32556 battles
  • [-GODS] -GODS

View PostCoDiGGo, on 04 July 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

You should not care about wn8, you should care about understanding game mechanisms, survive, weak spots, learn from errors. Wn8 will raise as you raise as a player, and not the other way.

and if you cant find weakspots, just reload "top secret prem shells". :bajan:

MutantLeech #6 Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16719 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Yup, just play more battles

CmdRatScabies #7 Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35188 battles

View PostNoPoet406, on 04 July 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

It's the average of all games you play not tanks - you don't need to do well in all tanks to get a good WN8 and no benefit in rebuying old ones.  1k games is a bit early to play tanks targeted at WN8 though - just play the ones you need to play to unlock others & the ones you enjoy.

Press2ForSkill #8 Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14625 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM

View PostNoPoet406, on 04 July 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

Greetings all!

So I've recently spent time trying to understand my WN8 and improve on it where possible. A few months ago it was 7.5, now it's over 400. My "recent WN8" is now rarely less than 800 and often over 1000. However, my overall WN8 only seems to increase by 2-5 points a time. Last night I had a pretty bad time and I played at around 320 WN8, which caused my score to drop by 2.6. I made up for this by playing at 1100 WN8. However, despite this vast improvement, my overall WN8 improved by around 2.4.

My poor performance did more damage than a superlative (for me) performance could fix. This is getting really annoying now. Why does a bad performance outweigh a good one? Why is my WN8 increasing so slowly when I've had about five days in a row of ~1000 WN8? Do I need to grind each tank until their stats are no longer in the black? (This would mean re-purchasing tanks I hate, such as the excremental T56 GMC, which I could never do anything with, and spending potentially weeks or months in flat-out bad tanks like the Churchill GC. This is turn will likely ruin my stats until I have mastered each tank.)

Improve at the game it self first, the wn8 will come on its own. After 1k games and 400 wn8, you are better than some players with 15k+ battles so im already happy, means you will actually be a good player one day.

CmdPrompt #9 Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29586 battles
  • [B-D-O] B-D-O

http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/pages/WN8

formula or data varies from site to site (i have around 100 wn8 difference from noobmeter to wotlabs)

AC130Pilot #10 Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14702 battles

You have chosen to make your way into the game of World of Tanks mainly through British vehicles. The British tech tree, in my opinion, is not the one you should start with as the tanks you play require at least some experience. They are unforgiving to mistakes, for example, Churchill GC.

It is entirely your choice, but I may suggest researching USSR medium tanks (that's how I started). Make your way to the tier VI MT T-34-85. A tank everyone should have in their hangar as a keeper (don't sell it after moving up the tech tree). It offers a fairly dynamic gameplay in the form of being able to change flanks and escape, and you will be able to use it as a platform for learning. Another forgiving tank is the USSR heavy tank at tier VII IS. It has great mobility as well as decent armour for its tier (you can try to angle the tank against enemies to deflect incoming shots better). Alpha damage of IS (390) is satisfying thus comfortable for a beginner.

Don't go to a flank/location if you're completely alone (no allies near by). Make sure to always have your back covered by at least 1-3 allied tanks (SPGs, TDs from long range on open maps). And don't be afraid to ask for help ( press F8 or write a more specific message in chat, like "SPGs please cover my flank because I'm alone here" ).

Also, don't rush through tiers... Stay on the lower tiers for a while and enjoy them, because it only gets harder with each higher tier as players you face are more experienced, careful.

Edited by AC130Pilot, 04 July 2017 - 07:31 PM.

Mimos_A #11 Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21337 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L
Wn8 is a pretty useless metric (on its own). Having a high wn8 on a session doesn't mean you played well, it means you did good damage relative to other people in that vehicle. It doesn't take any spotting into account, it doesn't care what vehicles you do the damage to, it doesn't matter when in the game you do it. If all your stats are going the right way it matters, if just your wn8 is going up but your winrate isn't it's a clear indication you're doing something wrong.

EggyTheGumGumChewer #12 Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16312 battles
  • [CRY-X] CRY-X

View PostNoPoet406, on 04 July 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Greetings all!

WN8 is not the metric you should be worried about. Just focus on winning games. It's the best indication that you are doing something right and are a good team player. Ofcourse, win rate can be affected by some luck, but after a few hundred games it should be fairly accurate. When you see that you are starting to improve your overall win rate (to perhaps around 47-50%) by playing tiers 3-5, then consider moving up a couple of tiers if you feel comfortable doing so.

Also, have a go at the Russian HT line. These tanks, unlike the British ones, actually have some armor, as well as punchy guns. I recommend the IS-7, although the IS-4 can also work (if you prefer heavier all-round armor).

Edited by EggyTheGumGumChewer, 04 July 2017 - 08:15 PM.

Jigabachi #13 Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17753 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Forget WN8.
Take your time and learn to play. If you want to check your progress, check the perfectly meaning- and useful FULL stats that get thrown into a blender in order to create your WN8.

NoPoet406 #14 Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2371 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Thank you very much for your replies. They have all been helpful and have made me feel a lot better. Looking at people's ratings on XVM while battles are waiting to start has helped too.

I feel like I'm occupying a weird no man's land between being good and being crap. I can wreak serious havoc, and it's not rare that I come 1st on my team. But I cannot carry most games on my own. As mentioned in other threads, there have been countless occasions where I have stalled between five and eight enemy tanks on my own. My max kills per game against human opponents is 5 and many of them were when I was sniping. So I get taken out, and God knows what my team were doing, because more often than not we still lose, and I've been rather un-gentlemanly about it. On the occasions where I do have a chance to turn a game, I often blow it by doing something utterly stupid. Maybe I should start recording my replays but they will be embarrassing.

I also perform well in tanks that are trashed or dismissed. My Valentine light tank and Churchill mk1 are outstanding performers; I earned 35,000XP on my Churchill mk1 in three days. (Using +100% XP reserves on top of this meant I unlocked both the Churchill mk7 and Churchill GC at the same time!) And yet I such wretchedly in popular non-British tanks such as the early USA tank destroyers. This is quite alienating as it feels like I'm playing the game backwards or something?

Edited by NoPoet406, 05 July 2017 - 09:31 PM.

SABAOTH #15 Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:36 PM

Major

• Player
  • 36414 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

The most relevant parameter to check is the damage done.

Imagine teams as an hp pool. Now, if you want to pull your own weight you need to bite the enemy hp pool at least equal to your tank's hp and get one kill of the same tier, this way you sort of

"Break even".

If you exceed your Hit Points and get more than one kill in the process you are performing good. If you do several times your HP and several kills you are doing great (considering you taking an active role and not letting your allies to be slaughtered).

And do not worry, as soon as you get the results consistently WN8 will go up. :)

If you are worried about it for people calling you tomato, n00b, bot or worse... just "bounce it off". WoT plaer base is full of frustrated people, some call even unicums that way or just shoot them because they do not zerg at their command to "skaut the field of Malinovka" :D

Isharial #16 Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18335 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSABAOTH, on 05 July 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

Imagine teams as an hp pool. Now, if you want to pull your own weight you need to bite the enemy hp pool at least equal to your tank's hp and get one kill of the same tier, this way you sort of

"Break even".

If you exceed your Hit Points and get more than one kill in the process you are performing good. If you do several times your HP and several kills you are doing great (considering you taking an active role and not letting your allies to be slaughtered).

And do not worry, as soon as you get the results consistently WN8 will go up. :)

If you are worried about it for people calling you tomato, n00b, bot or worse... just "bounce it off". WoT plaer base is full of frustrated people, some call even unicums that way or just shoot them because they do not zerg at their command to "skaut the field of Malinovka" :D

this ^

always aim to do the most damage you possibly can in a battle

doesn't matter what its against, every shot that damages its target is a good thing, and kills take a gun out of the fight

a tank, even on 1hp is capable of cleaning up and winning

commonly doing your hitpoints + is a goal of mine, I haven't succeeded in a battle unless that happens, anything extra is a bonus ofcourse, but that's what I aim for, and generally, just doing that is enough to allow your allies to do their bit

CmdRatScabies #17 Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:23 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35188 battles

View PostNoPoet406, on 05 July 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

Thank you very much for your replies. They have all been helpful and have made me feel a lot better. Looking at people's ratings on XVM while battles are waiting to start has helped too.

I feel like I'm occupying a weird no man's land between being good and being crap. I can wreak serious havoc, and it's not rare that I come 1st on my team. But I cannot carry most games on my own. As mentioned in other threads, there have been countless occasions where I have stalled between five and eight enemy tanks on my own. My max kills per game against human opponents is 5 and many of them were when I was sniping. So I get taken out, and God knows what my team were doing, because more often than not we still lose, and I've been rather un-gentlemanly about it. On the occasions where I do have a chance to turn a game, I often blow it by doing something utterly stupid. Maybe I should start recording my replays but they will be embarrassing.

I also perform well in tanks that are trashed or dismissed. My Valentine light tank and Churchill mk1 are outstanding performers; I earned 35,000XP on my Churchill mk1 in three days. (Using +100% XP reserves on top of this meant I unlocked both the Churchill mk7 and Churchill GC at the same time!) And yet I such wretchedly in popular non-British tanks such as the early USA tank destroyers. This is quite alienating as it feels like I'm playing the game backwards or something?

As someone has already said, 400 WN8 at 1k is good, certainly better than I had.

The game is deceptively deep & it takes most of us a good time to learn maps and how different positions play out.

If you watch Twitch then watch Zeven_NA - https://www.twitch.tv/zeven_na/videos/all  He explains a good deal more than most streamers and unlike some, he's not a complete tw@t.

NoPoet406 #18 Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2371 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

View PostSABAOTH, on 05 July 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

"Break even".

Thank you for this. I usually get the "fire for effect" award, and using a familiar tank on a familiar map usually means 2-3 kills these days. There are still an unfortunate number of games where I achieve nothing at all, though these are usually in light tanks, or in new tanks.

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 05 July 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

As someone has already said, 400 WN8 at 1k is good, certainly better than I had.

The game is deceptively deep & it takes most of us a good time to learn maps and how different positions play out.

If you watch Twitch then watch Zeven_NA - https://www.twitch.tv/zeven_na/videos/all  He explains a good deal more than most streamers and unlike some, he's not a complete tw@t.

Thank you. It is very heartening to hear that my WN8 is considered decent. The game is VERY deep and it is too easy to rush to tier 5. I will start watching Zeven_NA and pay more attention to other Youtube commentators.

Thank you to everyone who's replied, I have taken all of your advice to heart.

Long_Range_Sniper #19 Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29456 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoPoet406, on 06 July 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

Thank you to everyone who's replied, I have taken all of your advice to heart.

Wn8 was a lot more relevant in the past, but now the expected damages have changed per tier/type and not per tank. Which means that if you've a tank in a tier that can put down some serious damage it's going to give you a good Wn8. So British tanks who generally do less damage are going to be at a disadvantage against Russian tanks.

As many forumites have outlined above, I'd recommend forgetting about Wn8. If you want to consider your overall contribution in a tank which takes into account spotting, capping/de-capping, damage, and all the other things that you sometimes need to do to win a game then go by your winrate. 

If you are bothered then this website http://www.targetdamage.com/ gives expected damage levels.

signal11th #20 Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 33901 battles
  • [E-BAY] E-BAY
Understanding the game will increase your WN8 , Understanding WN8 will not increase your game experience. 

Edited by signal11th, 06 July 2017 - 09:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users