Jump to content


A MM experiment

tier spread numbers funisoverrated working as intended

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

1ncompetenc3 #1 Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 36970 battles
  • 11,492
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

I finished my run for Laati's survey and figured I'd post the results here as well so more people see it. If you missed that thread and are too lazy to check it now: I played 100 battles in tier VIII tanks with standard MM and logged the tier spread.

 

Spoiler

 

Results are not as dreadful as some might have expected, but do illustrate what we all already knew: of the six possible tier spreads possible for tier VIII vehicles (VI-VIII, VII-VIII, VII-IX, VIII, VIII-IX, VIII-X), VIII-X is by far the most common. More than twice as common in fact as the runner-up, which is, you guessed it, VIII-IX. No problem comrade, is fun. Saw a lot more tier VI and far fewer single tier battles than I had expected based on my battles in PMM tanks since 9.18 though, and I might repeat the experiment with those at some later date to see if the numbers actually show a difference between regular and PMM tanks when it comes to being top tier. Anyhow, results:

 

End result.

Battles played: 100

VI-VIII: 17

VII-VIII: 1

VII-IX: 18

VIII: 6

VIII-IX: 19

VIII-X: 39 :trollface:

 

 

 

Next up is tier VI, because when you've got a good run ruining your own enjoyment going it's hard to stop. I'll log the battles in this thread with the same modus operandi as with tier VIII: bunch of different tier VI vehicles with regular MM selected at random, date and (approximate) time will be logged in case someone wants to see if time of day is a factor, rest of the data will be tank name - tier spread - map - win/loss format. No platooning, no premium account, no boosts. Presumably not too much fun either but alas, curiosity takes precedence.



IncandescentGerbil #2 Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 35775 battles
  • 1,453
  • Member since:
    11-24-2015
I sometimes find myself thinking that WG should introduce a system whereby players are incentivised to play mid tiers, by offering them premium consumables etc in return for earning a certain amount of xp each month at tiers 5 - 7. Get enough experienced players down there, and the knock on benefits to MM at all tiers would surely be felt. It would also improve the quality of gameplay.

1ncompetenc3 #3 Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 36970 battles
  • 11,492
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 06 July 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

I sometimes find myself thinking that WG should introduce a system whereby players are incentivised to play mid tiers, by offering them premium consumables etc in return for earning a certain amount of xp each month at tiers 5 - 7. Get enough experienced players down there, and the knock on benefits to MM at all tiers would surely be felt. It would also improve the quality of gameplay.

 

Eh, they kind of have such an incentive. Anyone who can't consistently make a profit in high tiers (which is most players) and doesn't own a tier VIII premium tank grinds his credits there. I don't think further incentives would do much; there's never a shortage of people playing tier VIII premiums yet 58% of my tier VIII battles were against higher tiers. Given the popularity of tier VIII I would have expected a lot more same tier battles but those are actually quite rare.

 

On a sidenote, I just played some battles in Strv 42/57 or whatever it's called to get rid of any "new tonk protection" (owned it for months, never played it yet) and I can already tell I'm going to enjoy the tier VI run far less than tier VIII. Half the tanks seem to be using derp guns and SPG's combine the best of both worlds by taking half your HP and modules and stunning. I don't particularly enjoy tier VI to begin with so chances are I'll end up spamming KV-85 to spread my frustration.



Noo_Noo #4 Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 21939 battles
  • 2,213
  • Member since:
    05-05-2013

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 06 July 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

 

End result.

Battles played: 100

VI-VIII: 17

VII-VIII: 1

VII-IX: 18

VIII: 6

VIII-IX: 19

VIII-X: 39 :trollface:

 

 

Fair play to you for taking it further than I did. 

To be honest that spread is far better than the one I was developing before pretty much giving up. I note that you have some strong Tier 8 tanks there too. That obviously helps.



MarcoStrapone #5 Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 38039 battles
  • 751
  • Member since:
    08-11-2013

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 06 July 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

I finished my run for Laati's survey and figured I'd post the results here as well so more people see it. If you missed that thread and are too lazy to check it now: I played 100 battles in tier VIII tanks with standard MM and logged the tier spread.

 

Spoiler

 

Results are not as dreadful as some might have expected, but do illustrate what we all already knew: of the six possible tier spreads possible for tier VIII vehicles (VI-VIII, VII-VIII, VII-IX, VIII, VIII-IX, VIII-X), VIII-X is by far the most common. More than twice as common in fact as the runner-up, which is, you guessed it, VIII-IX. No problem comrade, is fun. Saw a lot more tier VI and far fewer single tier battles than I had expected based on my battles in PMM tanks since 9.18 though, and I might repeat the experiment with those at some later date to see if the numbers actually show a difference between regular and PMM tanks when it comes to being top tier. Anyhow, results:

 

End result.

Battles played: 100

VI-VIII: 17

VII-VIII: 1

VII-IX: 18

VIII: 6

VIII-IX: 19

VIII-X: 39 :trollface:

 

 

 

Next up is tier VI, because when you've got a good run ruining your own enjoyment going it's hard to stop. I'll log the battles in this thread with the same modus operandi as with tier VIII: bunch of different tier VI vehicles with regular MM selected at random, date and (approximate) time will be logged in case someone wants to see if time of day is a factor, rest of the data will be tank name - tier spread - map - win/loss format. No platooning, no premium account, no boosts. Presumably not too much fun either but alas, curiosity takes precedence.

 

summer sale on tommorw, get yourself blof tier 8 and go kick some tier X .:medal:

1ncompetenc3 #6 Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 36970 battles
  • 11,492
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

View PostNoo_Noo, on 06 July 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

 

Fair play to you for taking it further than I did. 

To be honest that spread is far better than the one I was developing before pretty much giving up. I note that you have some strong Tier 8 tanks there too. That obviously helps.

 

It seemed to ease off a bit the last two or so days. Could be related to the time of day though I suppose, but yeah I was expecting worse.

And yes I have a nice assortment of tier VIIIs, quite useful as I usually don't enjoy playing the same tank too much in a row. If only I could stop myself from playing absolute turds like IS-5 though... :D

 

View PostMarcoStrapone, on 06 July 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

 

summer sale on tommorw, get yourself blof tier 8 and go kick some tier X .:medal:

 

And the best part is they'll most likely sell only old premiums at a discount and keep the new ones at full price. I feel sorry for any new players getting suckered into spending money on something that's likely to only bring them frustration and buyer's remorse.

Edited by 1ncompetenc3, 06 July 2017 - 12:32 PM.


SABAOTH #7 Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 36858 battles
  • 2,915
  • [-133-] -133-
  • Member since:
    08-28-2011

So 58% of the time you are bottom tier.

 

Wargaming was telling that this does not happen more than 30% of the times. :harp:

 

Working as Intended? :coin:

 

Is platoon different?



MarcoStrapone #8 Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 38039 battles
  • 751
  • Member since:
    08-11-2013

View PostSABAOTH, on 06 July 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

So 58% of the time you are bottom tier.

 

Wargaming was telling that this does not happen more than 30% of the times. :harp:

 

Working as Intended? :coin:

 

Is platoon different?

 

platoon is even worse. its a life in prison. :trollface:

Asklepi0s #9 Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

    Moderator

  • Moderator
  • 7627 battles
  • 858
  • Member since:
    01-23-2017
Due to the high number of Match Making, we want discussions to take place in the main pinned thread here.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users