CT Server

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

IncandescentGerbil #1 Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles

I'm relatively late to the fun world of the CT, so I'm sure this has been asked before... but why is a player's native server displayed? Played two games. Got repeatedly pushed into path of E3 by "friendly" Russian E50m in first game, and died. Second game a Russian in his E100 did the same thing. Died again. Didn't see them picking on the other Russian guys, so am guessing the behaviour was racially motivated. Why not just give everyone a number, 1-15, at the start of each game? 

As a general observation, the CT seems to be a pointlessly unrepresentative waste of time. Godlike crews and more gold being fired than even the most tryhard WN8 junkie could  dream. It's no wonder tanks get released in OP form, if gold is all they see in CT.

Edited by IncandescentGerbil, 07 July 2017 - 12:25 PM.

Geno1isme #2 Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41454 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 07 July 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

Why not just give everyone a number, 1-15, at the start of each game?

Just for CT, or in general? First case, that would be special code which complicates testing. For the general case it's been discussed for quite some time to disable XVM stats, but no decision was made yet.

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 07 July 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

As a general observation, the CT seems to be a pointlessly unrepresentative waste of time. Godlike crews and more gold being fired than even the most tryhard WN8 junkie could  dream. It's no wonder tanks get released in OP form, if gold is all they see in CT.

Test server is mostly for testing technical stability I guess and to find technical bugs before live release, not so much about balancing.

IncandescentGerbil #3 Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles
I was referring to the CT, for the anonymous number thing. I can't see that it would require that much coding. Unique IDs would always be there in the background.  

Balc0ra #4 Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64272 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well most create an RU account and use that if they want to do extensive testing in peace. But if everyone was hidden behind a number . It would be at random more vs "EU" or "NA" I suspect. As most don't care because it's CT, and they can get away with it. As it don't affect their live account.

And yes 99% of the players are firing gold. But as pointed out above, CT is more for testing UI changes, feedback on new additions and technical issues more so then balance. Not only do 99% fire gold. But when a new tanks arrives, or a new nation is there. 75% of the tanks they face are the same. As everyone is testing it. Thus balance changes between CT stages is not that common.

As the tanks have several stages on closed test severs and in house tests before it gets to CT to make sure it's balanced enough. It only gets balanced if the feedback is large enough on an issue. Like the difference between the French and Swedish HT's a few CT back. Thus changes were made to the Swedish to differentiate them more. Not because everyone was firing gold at them.

Edited by Balc0ra, 07 July 2017 - 12:39 PM.

250swb #5 Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 07 July 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

I was referring to the CT, for the anonymous number thing. I can't see that it would require that much coding. Unique IDs would always be there in the background.

Anonymity, allows the team killers to hide their identity, stops players forming friendships, stops the comparison of player skills, makes everybody play like a retard because they just can. Great idea.

Geno1isme #6 Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41454 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 07 July 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

Well, for testing you want to avoid special test code as much as possible. Doesn't matter if it's one line or several thousand lines of code, the risk of test results getting screwed up is the same (either due to buggy testcode, or testcode hiding buggy livecode). Also just obfuscating the displayed player name won't help much when people start testing XVM on the CT server and the player ID is still available in-battle.

Gvozdika #7 Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38155 battles

Have a Russian player name - never had any issues with the RU crowd whatsoever. Probably causes some confusion having the EU tag after the name - but alas they leave you alone.

For added effect and to ensure you come across as 'one of them' - occasionally deploy random and various insults to your team such as Дурак or Жопа - those are the mild, repeatable ones but others are available. (Russian has about 17 swear words for every 1 English equivalent - plus more than a few with no English counterpart whatsoever). 

IncandescentGerbil #8 Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles
All good tips, but I think I will probably just steer clear!

Balc0ra #9 Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64272 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 07 July 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

All good tips, but I think I will probably just steer clear!

Unless you really really want to test out a tank you are planning or grinding to, or a premium in the tech tree you are planning on getting. It's not really worth it, or much interesting stuff on the CT. Most test on their own in private rooms in 1 vs 1 to test out the armor or gun on a new tank etc, vs the gold spam on randoms.

AvalancheZ257 #10 Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3842 battles
  • [3WCST] 3WCST

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 07 July 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

I'm relatively late to the fun world of the CT, so I'm sure this has been asked before... but why is a player's native server displayed? Played two games. Got repeatedly pushed into path of E3 by "friendly" Russian E50m in first game, and died. Second game a Russian in his E100 did the same thing. Died again. Didn't see them picking on the other Russian guys, so am guessing the behaviour was racially motivated. Why not just give everyone a number, 1-15, at the start of each game? 

CT is for testing yourself. I personally get tanks I'm interested in and give them a standard loadout that I would have on my live account, and go out and do that. You don't have to win, so you can experiment with things such as high risk tactics or just yolo when your bored. Its not about winning, its about learning tanks that you don't have yet.

And you can't really balance tanks based on CT results due to gold spam. Its mostly to iron out technical problems and for individuals to test new tanks. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users