What is Arty supposed to add to the game?

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

Liviguy #1 Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:20 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12461 battles

I dislike arty a lot and feel it brings nothing positive to the game. In fact, it has a negative impact on matches. It seems just about impossible to play the game in a positive style without getting penalised by having an arty strike dropped upon you, and since the new Arty changes they cant seem to miss. So in games you manage through skill or bad judgement from the opposition team, to  find / make a breakthrough in their lines, being positive you try to exploit this to your and your teams advantage, and for this you are gifted an arty strike, your mashed and stunned and the opposition has time to recover , finish you off and then regroup. To me arty only seems to be a penalty on positive play and players, it adds nothing to the game and detracts from it. So what is it meant to add, what is its purpose in the game?

So why doesnt WG give players the option of fighting battles with or without Arty, a button you can select and choose to play either type of battle?

Edited by Liviguy, 09 July 2017 - 12:29 AM.

Beltalowda #2 Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 60464 battles
Good luck digging out Kranvagens from a hull down position without arty in the game. And what's about Maus, Type 5 Heavy or all those completely balanced tier 8 premiums.

Dundato #3 Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26193 battles
Variety

Liviguy #4 Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12461 battles

View PostTrewSx, on 09 July 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

Good luck digging out Kranvagens from a hull down position without arty in the game. And what's about Maus, Type 5 Heavy or all those completely balanced tier 8 premiums.

Well that is another subject, OP tanks, game balance etc, but in situations where a tank with  a good turret is hull down, you flank or move elsewhere.

View PostDundato, on 09 July 2017 - 12:35 AM, said:

Variety

I understand that, but variety doesn't always make something better. I think WG should have a button where players can choose to fight games with or without Arty, let the players choose, what they prefer to play. I have a feeling games would be better without Arty, and it takes away that "Luck" factor in some results, which leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. You know the one where Arty swings a game, not the tank players skill or lack off. I know in the odd game i play when there is no Arty, i feel happier about the game as the clock is counting down.

Edited by VMX, 13 July 2017 - 12:31 PM.

Solexi #5 Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 33501 battles

Yeah, I agree with variety being the main reason. You can say that it stops hull-down camping, but I've never experienced anything unbalanced or broken in games without any arty.

Maybe it would give people more of an incentive to load HE to shoot at something other than lightly armoured TDs, since an enemy in a position that relies on their turret bouncing shot after shot will be unpleasantly surprised if everyone starts pummeling them with HE, turning their invincible hull-down position into a duck shoot, whittling away their HP and knocking out their gun and crew.

Edited by Solexi, 09 July 2017 - 12:55 AM.

enu_ #6 Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:57 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 22557 battles
  • [-322-] -322-
frustration. for arty players and for rest of us

Liviguy #7 Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12461 battles

View PostSolexi, on 09 July 2017 - 12:50 AM, said:

Yeah, I agree with variety being the main reason. You can say that it stops hull-down camping, but I've never experienced anything unbalanced or broken in games without any arty.

Maybe it would give people more of an incentive to load HE to shoot at something other than lightly armoured TDs, since an enemy in a position that relies on their turret bouncing shot after shot will be unpleasantly surprised if everyone starts pummeling them with HE, turning their invincible hull-down position into a duck shoot, whittling away their HP and knocking out their gun and crew.

I agree whenever i've been in a match where my team or the opposition is camping, they usually lose, they get outflanked, outmanoeuvred and and set upon by multiple tanks at the same time from differing angles. So i don't believe the old argument that Arty is there to prevent camping, most players don't want to camp, i think eventually most players come to the realisation that camping is not very successful.

View Postenu_, on 09 July 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

frustration. for arty players and for rest of us

Well it certainly does that. Nothing more frustrating than close games being decided by Arty or being smacked out of the blue when your doing well and trying to push / punish the opposition, and the momentum is lost. Or the games where you are hit with an Arty strike as soon as you are spotted for the first time, tank wrecked, hardly any HP left and the game  isn't even a minute old.

Edited by VMX, 13 July 2017 - 12:33 PM.

GekkoGordon #8 Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:30 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4082 battles
  • [-VUK-] -VUK-

I recently started playing arty to see is it any worse after patch. What i've noticed it's very useful against heavies who like to act too cocky. It's a great support weapon. Tier 8+ arty is useless, no need to play them, their presence harms the team more than it helps due to low damage output and low RoF

Tier 6 and 7 arties with high RoF (2.5-3 rds/min) are the way to go. Stun is great at supporting your HT teammates. Overall i like the new changes, and i will end the line at G.W Panther (possibly the best SPG in the game, tier for tier)

captainpigg #9 Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31001 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV
Well it definitely adds more pages count by twits who can't or won't realise that arty won't ever disappear, was designed from day 1 to be in the game and has the support of the two people who matter, namely Victor Kislyi and Serb, so suck it up and deal with it.

Jumping_Turtle #10 Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:46 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60466 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
It's good for business

NiemandXL #11 Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:47 AM

Major

• Player
  • 37955 battles

View PostTrewSx, on 09 July 2017 - 01:34 AM, said:

And what's about Maus, Type 5 Heavy

lol, arty usually ignores those since they can no loner really do damage to very heavily armored targets. They mostly hunt light tanks and paper mediums instead now.

Edited by NiemandXL, 09 July 2017 - 02:33 AM.

captainpigg #12 Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31001 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

View PostLiviguy, on 09 July 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

Why the insult, tit, the discussion was very amicable up until you arrived, arsehole.

Because everyone is sick and tired of same bitchy and whiny complaint, especially after WarGaming have actually fixed most of the problem with arty. So it's now on you do deal with it. Why start yet another whine thread about arty, instead of posting in the pinned arty thread, which by tommorow will closed by the mods because you didn't do so. Btw there is already a thread in the arty sub-section with the same bloody question. Try using search next time.

GekkoGordon #13 Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:06 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4082 battles
  • [-VUK-] -VUK-

View PostNiemandXL, on 09 July 2017 - 01:47 AM, said:

lol, arty useless ignores those since they can no loner really do damage to very heavily armored targets. They mostly hunt light tanks and paper mediums instead now.

They do less damage but they still have their splash damage, tracking and the Stun effect. Your job is to annoy the Maus while your teammates sling prem shells at the turret. Like it or not, without arty we'd have even more superheavies rolling around. Never underestimate a good player in an arty, not every arty player is a red/orange 45%er

15JG52Brauer #14 Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 74122 battles
  • [WHO] WHO
It's been scientifically proven (in a backyard laboratory that looks a lot like a shed in my garden) that this game has an excess of salt (Why do you think Jingels started playing WOT - it was to sus out the competition for his Gnomish Saltmine!)  - WG added arty in during Beta as a way of allowing all that salt to be vented.  To this day arty allows all players to share a common experience - the release of salt that comes after being shot and killed by arty - that is it's function - and indirectley to populate the forum with more mindless threads about how bad arty is, and how it should be removed etc. For what it's worth - I would be happy with a 1 arty per game limit , and if they could balance the game so it wasnt needed and give me back the XP etc spent on them then I would be OK if they removed it - BUT they had better make sure it doesnt turn into world of hull down damage farmers if they do so - sarcasm mode off ;-)

Joggaman #15 Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:00 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23077 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Tears

PhooBar #16 Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:59 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18476 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLiviguy, on 09 July 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

"...in situations where a tank with a good turret is hull down, you flank or move elsewhere."

Or you can call in artillery on him.  

Aim at the tank you want removed, and press 'T'.

A good arty player will drop some rounds for you.

1ncompetenc3 #17 Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:13 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36897 battles

If arty's role is still "to prevent heavily armoured tanks from camping hull down" or whatever, then why was it changed specifically to deal less damage to single/armoured targets and be more effective against groups of tanks due to the increased splash? SPG changes make the class more effective at countering groups of light tanks roving the few open maps where they could be a problem than anything else (much improved accuracy and aim time plus massive splash to make hitting moving targets more reliable, still enough alpha to do serious damage and one-shot on penetration, stun effect to slow them down). Wait a minute... :harp:

Edited by 1ncompetenc3, 09 July 2017 - 04:50 AM.

StringWitch #18 Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:44 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12576 battles

You may be familiar with the number of people who complain about the game's mechanisms and problems, perceived or actual, but continue playing to fill out their vapid lives. This is a free to play game; there is actually some player frustration that goes into these by design as part of a grind-reward cycle. Some MMORPG analysis might be able to tell you more.

Maybe when it was first added, when WG cared far more about historical details and many tanks came with a variety of gun options, when the game's design philosophy was entirely different and the target audience not 'already devoted players', arty may have had a serious role, tempered though that may have been by WG's poor balancing.

Nowadays, I doubt arty has any 'real' purpose anymore, and only continues to exist as a sort of game speeder-upper, to get you killed and into the next match. This is what links arty with the aforementioned frustration and grind-reward cycle. The faster it goes the better, provided WG can fabricate some foible of a reward to dole out like candy, see personal reserves. I call these foibles as credits, rather than the XP which reserves boost, are now the managed resource. Also more arty in a match = less tanks = faster games.

Edited by StringWitch, 09 July 2017 - 05:03 AM.

Jigabachi #19 Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:38 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostStringWitch, on 09 July 2017 - 04:44 AM, said:

Nowadays, I doubt arty has any 'real' purpose anymore, 

That was the case until the redesign.

When the game started, arty was a big "balancer". MM had a spread of five or six tiers and the tanks were so unbalanced that arty was an important part in every match. At the start of those matches messages like "Arty, concentrate on tank X." and a certain level of teamplay in general were very common.

Then WG decided to change lots of things, including MM and basic tank balance. But since they always sucked at that, they never cared about the consequences of those changes and completely failed with "counterbalancing" them, so arty lost its job but remained the massive damage dealer that many people started to hate.

Now it finally has a proper purpose again, they finally, after FIVE years, turned it into a support vehicle it should always have been. It doesn't need to deal massive damage anymore, so their approach was quite good.

Now it only needs a bit more balancing.

ZlatanArKung #20 Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostTrewSx, on 09 July 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

To bad arty doesn't help with this.

Arty helps with nothing actually, except adding frustration.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users