Alternative SPG aiming display interface/mechanics/etc.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

AC130Pilot #1 Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15226 battles

This is how the aiming system, etc. of SPGs can look (notice the shell being displayed on the minimap at 0:21 in the video).

Attach these mechanics to a siege mode (in the video it's a switch from driver's to gunner's seat), so SPGs can still shoot back at close range but cannot move/can move slowly (just like Swedish TDs). Maybe add graduated aiming display interface by degrees (gun laying) from the position of the tank instead of the top view. Also, a range finder on the minimap, which could work like the drawing on the map in the XVM mod (except it would have to be linear). Then it is possible to increase the damage and increase the radius of fragmentation too. You may keep the top (satellite) view for visual verification of hits and ability to adjust angles.

And please give players the ability to check this out on a common test - gather feedback. I'd gladly try out the SPGs I wrote about above as the play style changes entirely.

Optional: add built-in intercom messages just like "Affirmative!"/etc. and voice the SPG related ones so they are distinctive (something like in World of Warships; increase immersion).

SPG siege mode example (make lowering/raising of the scoop significantly faster for balancing purposes (activation key "X" )).

Edited by AC130Pilot, 13 July 2017 - 12:33 PM.

HeidenSieker #2 Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles
Um. Sorry, but I'm left a little cold by all that. Perhaps there may be an idea or two in there, unsure. What we have now ain't bad.

Darth_Clicker #3 Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:33 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58466 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

It seems that in your suggestion that in the end arty would have more damage and a larger splash radius.  I am sorry, but if this is true then I dont think that would be an improvement over the current situation.  If you increase the splash radius on the higher tier artys, you will also increase the complaints from the neighborhood kids due to Hello Kitty being stunned in their game they are playing over on the next street.

Seriously, changes such as this would take the game and the complaints back in the direction before the stun mechanic was introduced.  But it is nice to see someone thinking outside the box and sharing their ideas here.

Edited by Darth_Clicker, 12 July 2017 - 05:34 AM.

AC130Pilot #4 Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15226 battles
I just combined what I have thought about at some point while playing the game into a single topic. Maybe something will draw the attention of a developer specialized in SPG mechanics. But I guess I'd just like artillery to be artillery (damage dealing, long-range fire supporter with no direct view of the target (you pretty much have to measure where to fire by angles and distance)).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users