Medium Tanks - Camo or Repairs?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19905 battles

Hi all, 

Still monkeying around with the re-purchased T34-85 and just unlocked a second set of skills.

Now obviously I will reset commanders to 6th sense in due course and I you can see the other skills I took to try and make the gun handling sharped and what I feel would be beneficial to the MT as a support and peak-a-boo playstyle I have with it primarily along with a bit of flanking and so on but what should I take for the 2nd skill set?

On one hand I think being spotted less often and being able to close the gap on tanks before I get spotted would be very beneficial but on the other hand I feel repairs would be very useful given the beating it takes in most battles.. that said.. the thing about repairs is that even at 100% all crew, its not nearly fast enough to save you and still relies heavily on a repair kit or get blasted out of there?

Also, can anyone tell me in anticipation of the T34-85M I will hopefully soon get, is it much better than the standard T34-85 and is the standard T34-85 worth keeping after getting the 85M? or just pointless?

Thanks as always

Enforcer1975 #2 Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 19715 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Repairs is more useful...in case you get tracked by anything you can move away quicker. Camo won't help you and imo not one of the first set of skills you need on a MT.

Edited by Enforcer1975, 13 July 2017 - 05:53 PM.

_EXODUZ_ #3 Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34420 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Most of the time one should go for Repairs, it increases survivability. T34-85M is much better, so no point in keeping a regular tier 6.

8126Jakobsson #4 Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

Major

• Player
  • 61966 battles
Think I'll put camo first between the two now that you can use your reps multiple times. 

TungstenHitman #5 Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19905 battles

Thanks I stuck a few repairs on in there for now but I noticed the 85M has horrendous ground resistance so should I take Off-Road driving for the second skill maybe instead of the repairs and bring that soft ground resistance back to standard 34-85 lvs of resistance with the 10% reduction? might feel more zippy across Sand River and the likes? or not really?

http://tanks.gg/compare/t-34-85?t=t-34-85m

JCTagger #6 Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12867 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You already have two MoE on the thing, so not sure quite how much you need advice...

FWIW, I'd say swap out that Recon for Sixth RIGHT NOW - yes, NOW, before you read the rest of this post!

But I think the others are right, go Repair, especially given your stated playstyle; I tend to try and snipe more, so I use Camo as my 'Grinding' skill, but Repair on Heavies. camo is obviously a no-brainer for LT/TDs.

When it's at 100%, wait for a discount weeknd when it's half-price to retrain, and get BiA, and start grinding with repairs or Camo again...

RamRaid90 #7 Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20246 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 13 July 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Most of the time one should go for Repairs, it increases survivability. T34-85M is much better, so no point in keeping a regular tier 6.

Not sure where people are getting that the M is better...

Couple hundred more DPM at the cost of mobility i'd call them almost the same.

RaxipIx #8 Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27882 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I know every single person will say repairs is betters. But i always take camo with SS first, then view range skills.

I  ain't no unicum but i got used to my fav class so far, LT's that, if it's not Arty or HT's(on americans i always take VR skills then anything else)

And for me, View Range on sneaky tanks with camo. and on crapcamo tanks i always max view range with repairs.

Baldrickk #9 Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29322 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
It's more of a brawler, so repairs.

Edited by Baldrickk, 14 July 2017 - 05:47 PM.

_EXODUZ_ #10 Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34420 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostRamRaid90, on 13 July 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

Not sure where people are getting that the M is better...

Couple hundred more DPM at the cost of mobility i'd call them almost the same.

It has a bit more hull armor, you can easily bounce pesky Cromwells if you play right.

TungstenHitman #11 Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:05 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19905 battles

View PostJCTagger, on 13 July 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

You already have two MoE on the thing, so not sure quite how much you need advice...

I don't really play HTs or MTs tbh it's usually TDs and LTs but I got a bit frustrated at the compromise not having a turret on most of the TDs when it comes to most maps tbh they just are not really great for this game overall at higher tiers so I've started back into MTs as a class I have really very little experience with. The 2 marks.. well I will never erase the bad stats I had on this tank when I first had it as a total tomato ages ago its amazing how experience really does improve how we play and go about the battle field but since the re-buy it has gone pretty ok, nothing amazing but I almost like the T34-85.. was already on the verge of 1 mark when I re-bought it and noticed today it was around 80% so thought I'd stick 2 marks on it since was grinding crew anyway but 144pen is not very dependable against the tier7 and 8 HTs it faces so I had to load gold sometimes to make sure most of my shots punched through to get the 2nd mark fast without all the bs of bounces and critical hits etc etc but I still need plenty of advice with this tank class because there are players that know them SOOOOooooooo much better than me and a hell of a lot better with them

Edit- MoE> So far as picking up MoE goes obviously higher tier tanks are much harder but the same approach applies which is try to maintain a decent average game in EVERY battle.. there'll always be a few stinkers in between that will cost you a percentage or two and that will take sadly another 2 decent battles of 1 exceptional battle to erase but just keep a good average and go about each battle in a way that best suits the tank, it's setup, your tiering in that battle and your preferred play style.. if you're tailored towards damage and not damage assist then sit back a little and see how the battlefield is unfolding and don't be the first to discover what lies around the corner because that can be 4 tanks and you are dead with a really poor result, it's all about repeating reasonably strong rounds and then the odd really good round to take it another percent..

Spoiler

View PostRaxipIx, on 13 July 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

I know every single person will say repairs is betters. But i always take camo with SS first, then view range skills.

I  ain't no unicum but i got used to my fav class so far, LT's that, if it's not Arty or HT's(on americans i always take VR skills then anything else)

And for me, View Range on sneaky tanks with camo. and on crapcamo tanks i always max view range with repairs.

I know exactly how you feel. I play a LOT of TDs and LTs so for me to turn down camo and other stealth and view range increasing options is almost insanity and a laughable notion but clearly the likes of HTs and MTs would probably be better stepping away from that campy play style. At times I find the T34-85 would be better kept back out of harms way and snipe, might sound daft but it has a certain Hellcat feel to it at times including the gun handling but it obviously would NEVER have the camo value of a Hellcat but then again a Hellcat would get smashed to bits in a brawl with a T34-85 so.. play to the strengths of each tank I suppose.. that said I don't think the T34-85 with all camo would NOT(correction) be a bad choice and even though I went with repairs and will probably reset the camo in due course, I think the 85, with gold ammo, can be very very effective at sniping where that sort of play style requirement develops and is the better approach at the time so having camo is not at all a bad choice either.. God knows we all witness a HT beside us getting ripped apart by unseen enemies at times and the reason it isn't us is our better camo kept us unseen.. that in itself is evidence of how life saving camo is!

So busy moving properties at the moment will be happy when things settle down but I managed to get in a few more battles since my original advice request..

So based on the general advice towards repairs I will try to blend that in where possible and also training crew in I think(that's dangerous:P) will best suit the stats of the 85M more than the 85 regular so..

Commander  > 1. 6th sense(duh!) 2. Repairs(possibly recon again)

Gunner          > 1. Snap Shot 2. Repairs

Driver            > 1. Smooth Ride 2. Off-Road Driving 

Radio Ops    > 1. Situ Awr 2. Repairs

Loader          > 1. Safe Stowage 2. Repairs

Why the above? well based on your feedback towards favoring repairs I tried to incorporate that and in a priority order I felt it should take. For commander its 6th sense obviously and I think given the very limited gain from recon I would favor repairs. Gunner, Snap shot and repairs, nothing more to be said. Driver gets smooth ride so combined with Snap shot I am trying to give each round the best possible chance of landing, no verts on this tank of course but went with these skills first anyway since landing shots and doing dmg is what makes the xp, credits and each successful strike is one more step towards victory and surviving so make it as likely to do this as possible.. 2nd skill Off-Road Driving I feel takes priority over repairs just about since the 85M has horrible mobility/ground resistance as pointed out in the above comments by a helpful forumite so making that 10% less painful actually restores it to parity with the standard 85 ground resistance stats so very nice indeed and speed is always nice to get to locations faster, accelerate out of trouble or catch a tank or get to the last arty first etc etc etc. Radio OPs get situ awareness first as improved view range is massively important in this game imo as it is in any battlefield, recon matters, seeing the enemy first or at all is the first step towards dealing with it and/or evading it, then repairs. Loader gets safe stowage perk as ammo racking is not too uncommon and having not to waste a repair kit or simply getting 1 shot killed is always a bonus then repairs as 2nd skill... then the next gets reset to BiA and same again I feel.. any better setup? pls leave feedback

Edited by Jahrakajin, 14 July 2017 - 12:36 PM.

rado84 #12 Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:42 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18693 battles

This yucking retarded forum that does whatever it wants is starting to crawl on my nerves! But why do I expect anything different by Invision Power Board... Since my post won't appear for reasons the forum devs don't know for sure, I'll post it as a screenshot.

Edited by rado84, 14 July 2017 - 01:46 AM.

TungstenHitman #13 Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:52 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19905 battles

View Postrado84, on 14 July 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

This yucking retarded forum that does whatever it wants is starting to crawl on my nerves! But why do I expect anything different by Invision Power Board... Since my post won't appear for reasons the forum devs don't know for sure, I'll post it as a screenshot.

Fair enough, hurt my eyes reading that small text a little bit.. on the topic of repairs, is there a site where we can compare repair times for tracks? I'd like to know just how long various tanks take to repair broken tracks, is there a difference in times between tanks? and if so, is there some tanks that are so slow that perhaps having repair skill even at 100%(X2 repair speed) is still utterly pointless since you will still be sitting tracked for too long and better just to take 2 repair kits and use the skill on something else or a perk?

NUKLEAR_SLUG #14 Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:03 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27158 battles
I always go camo first then repairs. I don't have to be super stealthy, just slightly less detectable than the guy next to me so he gets shot first.

AtomkickShinoski #15 Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6576 battles
I personally prefer camo over repairs. It depends on what my medium is like. If it's small and fast like the T25 Pilot 1 then camo and if it's big and slow like the T26E4 then repairs.

Edited by AtomkickShinoski, 14 July 2017 - 02:13 AM.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19905 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 14 July 2017 - 01:03 AM, said:

I always go camo first then repairs. I don't have to be super stealthy, just slightly less detectable than the guy next to me so he gets shot first.

This^ I've always maintained that logic and totally agree.. ppl asked if they wasted their time sticking camo on big bulky TDs and I always said, from an experienced LT player point of view across all tiers.. it isn't always about having ghost like camo values such as an STRV etc.. very often, it's just about having better camo values than your teammates in front of or beside you.. very often when I played active scouting, racing around and peaking over crests I would spot a HT or whatever and my 6th sense would go off and I would fall back happy I spotted several tanks... see the point here? I did NOT keep going forward or feel I had to so if you were a tank with JUST enough camo as to not get detected in my LT crest strafing run you don't get shot by my teams arty or TD or whatever the f*** so 100% yes camo is massively important.. if I didn't spot the tank/tanks with lesser camo first I would have kept spotting in my LT until i DID spot a tank.. don't be that tank lol!!

Edit- and a big hey hey to you Nuklear Slug also, we crossed paths recently though on the same team, was grinding a derp Sherman in anticipation of buying a derp jumbo, you were knocking holes in tanks in a TD gj, nice win, much appreciation 

Spoiler

Edited by TungstenHitman, 14 July 2017 - 02:25 AM.

WindSpIitter1 #17 Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 275 battles
  • [-UM] -UM
repairs, camo is [edited]useless on the current map rotation. Take it as a 4th skill at best while carefully considering firefighting + food as an option instead.

kripton69 #18 Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1208 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Repairs has gotten somewhat less relevant with the new, reusable consumables. Still a good skill but it's not as much a priority. On the other hand camo has been getting gradually worse for years, especially at higher tiers. I suggest prioritizing view range skills over either one of them when we're talking about Commander and Radioman. After the 6th Sense, that is.

BIA is also an increasingly good perk nowadays with the former priority skills having declined in value, and the gun handling skills(or at least Snap Shot) is also something I value pretty highly on some tanks, most notably those that I take lots of snap shots with, or alternatively tanks that have "almost" good snap shot potential. Often getting these couple of perks and getting BIA moves you from "unreliable snap shotter" to "somewhat reliable snap shotter" which is the most important threshold. 

But the value of perks really depends on your tank and playing style as well. If it's for T-34-85 I'd say view range > camo > snap shot > repairs

rado84 #19 Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18693 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 July 2017 - 02:52 AM, said:

Fair enough, hurt my eyes reading that small text a little bit.. on the topic of repairs, is there a site where we can compare repair times for tracks? I'd like to know just how long various tanks take to repair broken tracks, is there a difference in times between tanks? and if so, is there some tanks that are so slow that perhaps having repair skill even at 100%(X2 repair speed) is still utterly pointless since you will still be sitting tracked for too long and better just to take 2 repair kits and use the skill on something else or a perk?

Sorry about that but the forum decided it should display only the first 5 words of my post and I had no other choice but to post it as a screenshot. You can always use Ctrl+Mouse Scroll Up in order to enlarge text and images and then Ctrl+ Mouse Scroll Down to return to normal size.

I don't think there is such a thing. I know of a camo calculator which I find very useful and use it from time to time when I need to check the full spotter setup of a tank. Here's the link in case you ever need it: http://wotinfo.net/en/camo-calculator But a repair calculator - never heard of one. However, in this topic you can find a detailed explanation of how the repair skill works and how fast it makes the repairs: http://forum.worldof...f-repair-skill/

Balc0ra #20 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63736 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Depends. On high tier mediums I go repair first, even on paper tanks, as the style there is usually more aggressive there even if you don't want to. On mid tiers I would say camo. As I play most of my tier 6 meds in a support role first. So camo is more ideal there tbh. And I play more a role of bully flanker then brawler around those tiers.

But as most pointed out, it's more about your style. Skill usually is picked on what you feel you need, or the tank is lacking. So do you play support, and like to stay still more? Or do you get in their faces more often and get your tracks shot of constantly and feel you need that more?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users