How best to play with low velocity/high arc projectiles ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

OneSock #1 Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33882 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

So just curious what the consensus is for playing tanks with low velocity and high arc shells. Is it better to try and snipe and just pray to RNGesus, or get up close and personal and take your chances ?

I've been playing through IVK103 and both guns have painful shell arc and while you do get some pure RNG WTF hits, most of the time you are going to miss because by the time the shell falls, target has moved on. Trying to lead any shots is impossible because the gun "aims" at the wrong range and shell flies way too high.

Solution to this is get much more close, and do ridge poking etc. This negates to an extent the velocity and to a lesser degree the high arc problem, but not completely unless you go full retard derp mode. But means you are spotted and with no armour to speak of, very risky.

I know it's situational, but is one approach consistently better ?

HassenderZerhacker #2 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 25496 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostOneSock, on 15 July 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

So just curious what the consensus is for playing tanks with low velocity and high arc shells. Is it better to try and snipe and just pray to RNGesus, or get up close and personal and take your chances ?

I've been playing through IVK103 and both guns have painful shell arc and while you do get some pure RNG WTF hits, most of the time you are going to miss because by the time the shell falls, target has moved on. Trying to lead any shots is impossible because the gun "aims" at the wrong range and shell flies way too high.

Solution to this is get much more close, and do ridge poking etc. This negates to an extent the velocity and to a lesser degree the high arc problem, but not completely unless you go full retard derp mode. But means you are spotted and with no armour to speak of, very risky.

The IKV 103 is a useless tank.

In most battles, you will be happy to score one hit for 300 HP before being taken out, because this thing has neither armor nor HP, it's dead in two shots.

On some maps it's possible to score more than one hit if lucky and there are some stationary targets to snipe at.

There also are a handful positions on some maps that allow to use the tank's good gun dep and offer both cover and camo... El Halluf, Carelia...

But in a nutshell, do your 300 damage, explode, wait for your daily win, observe your winrate drop and get your XP for the day. rinse, repeat.

Dr_ownape #3 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 41848 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

urgh - worst kind of guns.

I avoid where possible and have not forced myself to play the Swede TD line yet (even though they are free)

Long_Range_Sniper #4 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

General

• Player
  • 30494 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

To be honest I find you can play at distance or close. You just have to modify your expectations. Sniping in the PZ IV H or M4 with the derp gun just takes timing and patience. But reduces the risk to your tank in games where you can be penned easily. If you're going to go close in with those tanks then try not to do it alone, and time your shots for when the enemy is on reload. Not always easy I know. But if you're working with another tank it's a lot easier.

For the Swedish TD's you don't have the close in option with the lack of turret so remember to use ground/camo to your advantage and relocate if spotted.

Balc0ra #5 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64272 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
I personally found the 103 to me more fun as top tier when played more aggressive in a support role due to the low shell speed. As trying to lead a moving target is not ideal with it. Or easy at times. And camping targets is not always a luxury either when you need it.

Edited by Balc0ra, 15 July 2017 - 11:44 AM.

HidesHisFace #6 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17705 battles

View PostOneSock, on 15 July 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

The best to play IKV 103 is to gather free xp and skip it.

IKV is a tank with a serious identity crisis.

The gun has high alpha, the tank is decently mobile, and the crappy shell arc and terrible shell velocity forces you to play close to the enemy. 

The problem is... You can't - this tank has no armour whatsoever, so staying close to the enemy is a suicide - you have good gun depression for exploiting ridge lines and good camo rating - suitable for sniping.

It is a close range gun mounted on a platform suitable for sniping - meaning that this tank is useless in both situations. 

This tank is a special case because the gun not only has low shell velocity but also very high gun arc.

The major problem with high arc is the simple fact - once you have enemy in sights, as in outlined - the gun automatically elevates to compensate for shell arc. But with this gun, you have to heavily lead every shot - and when you do this, the gun snaps to any piece of terrain and elevates itself accordingly - this means that shots at long range against moving target are nearly impossible - you would quite literally have to get the artillery view in this vehicle. 

It doesn't matter in most other vehicles, because they tend to have rather flat shell arcs - but IKV is totally screwed by this.

So... How to play this tank? You don't. You suffer through it. Just go and hope you can plant a shot or two into something before they eradicate you. Literally - you MUST count on enemy being stupid and ignoring you presence.

As bad as this tank is, it is dangerous when left unchecked - over 300 alpha is GOOD on tier 5. You can one shot kill many tier IV tanks and on lucky roll even some other tank destroyers of the same tier.

Edited by HidesHisFace, 15 July 2017 - 12:25 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27500 battles

1. Pull trigger

2. Pray

3. Profit (maybe)

Zorbiitti #8 Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19382 battles
Hah!

High-arc is OP in this game. It has some secret powers that APCR would just dream of..
..and that's the ability to make impossible hits! You see that pesky t30/t29/t32 hull down behind a ridge like 400 meters away..? Just aim at the horizon and and with a "little" help of rng you can see how that wtf? mark appears on the tank when loses 1/3 or even half his HP.

Ballistics man, ballistics.

BRO TIP!! If you see target backing out from LOS, just aim at the point between last pixel of the target and horizon, because if your shot goes a bit "down" you will hit his turret/superstructure..

I have made this quite a habit in my beloved object 704.

DaSmith #9 Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 45997 battles
Only solution is to pray and cry a lot.

RamRaid90 #10 Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20546 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Watch my KV-1S replays...

fallenkezef #11 Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10101 battles
  • [TALLY] TALLY
I play allot of low tier with the British howitzers. It's best when you learn to predict the enemy, gauge where they will be. Pixk your targets, go for the campers and peek-a-boo snipers

Nishi_Kinuyo #12 Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7455 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostRamRaid90, on 16 July 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Watch my KV-1S replays...

Or you could watch my Type 95 Heavy replay(s):

http://wotreplays.co...o-type_95_heavy

Although in all fairness, the number of long-range (300m+) shots in it is limited in that replay.

RamRaid90 #13 Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:41 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20546 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 16 July 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

Or you could watch my Type 95 Heavy replay(s):

http://wotreplays.co...o-type_95_heavy

Although in all fairness, the number of long-range (300m+) shots in it is limited in that replay.

The only reason I said it is because I have 3 marks on the Kv-1S using nothing but the DERP.

ClassicFrog #14 Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

Major

• Player
  • 44194 battles

There's one trick one might use ... sometimes. If your enemy is at some distance away, obstructed by an obstacle, say, not to tall ground elevation, but you can still zoom out the view to autoaim at it, then you may turn your high arc gun into improvised arty, as it will be capable to lob shells over the obstacle and damage the enemy.

A good practice when shooting at a distant target is to lock your gun so it doesn't move on it's own. In case your target gets unspotted this will prevent your gun from readjusting itself and effectively shooting over the spot you actually wanted to shoot. Alternatively you might try to compensate by aiming lower, at the spot on the ground where you believe the (now unspotted) enemy is standing on, and not at where you think it's silhouette should be.

And finally, know your limits. If the enemy is driving in a straight line and you think you can assess correctly how much lead you have to give to hit it, by all means, fire away. If the enemy is moving erratically, then, unless you have spare ammo, safe firing position and nothing better to do, perhaps it's better to find something else to shoot at, or, if circumstances allowing, shorten the distance to minimise the random factors.

Edited by ClassicFrog, 16 July 2017 - 09:49 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #15 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7455 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostRamRaid90, on 16 July 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

The only reason I said it is because I have 3 marks on the Kv-1S using nothing but the DERP.

True, but the KV's derp (HE) has quite a bit more shell velovity than that of the Ikea or the Type.

The HEAT velocity on it is about equal to the ikea's iirc.

PowJay #16 Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34907 battles

I've had some significant success with the Type 95 and I know exactly what you mean. Luckily the RoF means that I can take several shots even if only one or two hit.

It is more difficult to judge the aim location to lead a tank, or prepare for it peek a booing from cover, but it is doable.

I have average damage of 414 in the Type 95 HT but only 409 in the lkv103, which is my worst tier V TD by far and I was glad to be rid of it. 

Toni112007 #17 Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9769 battles
KV2 is one of the best sniping tanks in the game. Your shells are guided by Stalin.

250swb #18 Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I enjoy the IKV 103. Ok it is very difficult to hit a moving target, so my cunning solution is to wait until it stops. The other solution is to shoot at a moving target, but wait until it is moving towards or away from you, that makes it an easy shot. The worst thing you can do with the IKV 103 is try to play it the dumbest way possible, like a regular everyday cut and paste TD.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users