What the hell is wrong with moderation here?!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

_EXODUZ_ #1 Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27281 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I ain't a moralist, but this is just wrong... like would you want your kid to stumble upon some crap here? I don't think so.

- You get retarded threads after midnight, they won't get locked till the morning. Most likely they won't even get deleted, just locked.

- The swear word filter is crap. It takes an hour tops to edit that list in forum settings.

- And today I stumbled upon some anime pron. It has dozens of images there.

@WG Staff:

Guys, why don't you get some new moderators? If you took the position but you know you're not doing much why don't you pass it over to someone? And please don't mention the Report function. It obviously doesn't work properly since this crap was posted 3 days ago. Please put it on your "TO DO LIST" at least...

Jahrakajin #2 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

• 1531 battles
  • [WG_M] WG_M

Block Quote

Do not discuss moderation and sanctions

• Read our Forum Rules to understand why your post was moderated

Buuut lets make a quick exception. So this is not Gameplay related so moving it to Off Topic. Some feedback is welcomed from time to time even if its criticism right now. Let me finish something here and I'll address some of your points in a couple of minutes. 

Note: Making a exception here for this Thread doesn't mean you can go on breaking Forum rules. 

So brb.

Jigabachi #3 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17242 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 15 July 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

- You get retarded threads after midnight, they won't get locked till the morning.

Moderators need sleep. Shocking, I know. 

No, seriously. The moderation quality was always embarrassing here. Thinking about it now makes me laugh, but back then you had to check every single word you wrote, because moderation was entirely random and arbitrary and mods interpreted the vague rules they had however they wanted, resulting in the most ridiculous bans and warnings I ever saw in my entire time dwelling internet forums.

It got somewhat better, but since Enter and the other few borderline helpful community guys left the team, it's down to quite the lowpoint again. 

There are a few new mods every year or so, of which one seems to be doing his job properly every now and then but is horribly overchallenged with doing all of it alone. That's it.

Old habits don't die. WG doesn't care and that won't change. Even if our dear Phelan tries to convince us that things will totally change for the better.

Still waiting.

Junglist_ #4 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32297 battles

Link to that topic? You know... for research purposes

And still better than console forums

https://ritastatusre...894/#more-42806

Jahrakajin #5 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

• 1531 battles
  • [WG_M] WG_M

Block Quote

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 15 July 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

- You get retarded threads after midnight, they won't get locked till the morning.

Even on our ultra diet of Coffee, Energy Drinks, Junkfood and Fiber bars (you know we need them) we can't last without resting every once in a while. Also if Threads start disappearing people get more upset, so I can't agree on this point here at all. We close them, edit them, and leave the reasons why these actions have been taken. I am not claiming we are 100% transparent but unless the Thread in question is pure Spam/too much work to edit or with very malicious content we don't remove it. And trust me, those happen, you have no idea what Threads linger in our Mod Archives.

Block Quote

The swear word filter is crap. It takes an hour tops to edit that list in forum settings.

If you have any particular suggestions I wouldn't mind hearing them. Maybe if reasonable enough I can bring them up to the guys responsible for this. 

Block Quote

And today I stumbled upon some anime pron. It has dozens of images there

I don't see any report in our system of it so far. Maybe give me the link or report it so we can take care of this right away. It goes without saying that we don't wan't that stuff here.

Edited by Jahrakajin, 15 July 2017 - 11:24 AM.

jabster #6 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12004 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostJigabachi, on 15 July 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

No, seriously. The moderation quality was always embarrassing here. Thinking about it now makes me laugh, but back then you had to check every single word you wrote, because moderation was entirely random and arbitrary and mods interpreted the vague rules they had however they wanted, resulting in the most ridiculous bans and warnings I ever saw in my entire time dwelling internet forums.

It got somewhat better, but since Enter and the other few borderline helpful community guys left the team, it's down to quite the lowpoint again. 

There are a few new mods every year or so, of which one seems to be doing his job properly every now and then but is horribly overchallenged with doing all of it alone. That's it.

Old habits don't die. WG doesn't care and that won't change. Even if our dear Phelan tries to convince us that things will totally change for the better.

Still waiting.

I think you have to separate out the roles of moderators and community managers (or whatever they are now called). Moderation in general has improved in a few areas. You no longer have several days with no moderation and then a sudden flurry of activity before silence again; weekends are now generally covered; applying the rules has a bit more common sense to it; it's more active than the almost purely passive (report driven) method before; more explanations are given as to why threads are locked along with a little humour.

Community Management, on the forum, was always pretty poor but it's now almost non-existent. Personally I think that really adds to why players are so cynical as to how WG acts. 

Balc0ra #7 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 56610 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well they are only that many, and don't wander the forum at all hours, even at 4 AM. And as pointed out, if no one reports it, they have to find it on their own. And then it might take longer for them to find it. As you can't expect each one to read and check every post that was written in all sections since last he was here to check.

But compared to 2 years ago when the moderator came by once a week. And FireflyDivision locked down 20 topics at a time, or when Ectar passed by once a month. It's 10x better now. As now they drop by a few times a day to lock and move topcis.

_EXODUZ_ #8 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27281 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostJahrakajin, on 15 July 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Even on our ultra diet of Coffee, Energy Drinks, Junkfood and Fiber bars (you know we need them) we can't last without resting every once in a while. Also if Threads start disappearing people get more upset, so I can't agree on this point here at all. We close them, edit them, and leave the reasons why these actions have been taken. I am not claiming we are 100% transparent but unless the Thread in question is pure Spam/too much work to edit or with very malicious content we don't remove it. And trust me, those happen, you have no idea what Threads linger in our Mod Archives.

If you have any particular suggestions I wouldn't mind hearing them. Maybe if reasonable enough I can bring them up to the guys responsible for this. 

I don't see any report in our system of it so far. Maybe give me the link or report it so we can take care of this right away. It goes without saying that we don't wan't that stuff here.

- I understand you guys have other things to do. That's why I'm suggesting you to get some extra help.

- You're running Invision Power Board here. Instead of using EXACT method, try other options that would edit the word if it's similar to a swear word.

- It's the LEWD recruitment thread, last pages.

Jumping_Turtle #9 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 52289 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostJahrakajin, on 15 July 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Well starting with all the cancer, cancerous, ebola or other diseases would be a good start. I know you act upon them when reported but it should not be that hard to make it auto with warning/ban when those are used. And easier for me so I do not have to report them all manually ;)

_EXODUZ_ #10 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27281 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Here is the link, 116 pages for you to go through, cause it's not just the last page.

http://forum.worldof...t__2300#topmost

Jahrakajin #11 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

• 1531 battles
  • [WG_M] WG_M

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 15 July 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Here is the link, 116 pages for you to go through, cause it's not just the last page.

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

. . .

I now regret asking for this crap...I'll have a look at other posts later since apparently NOW I'll be busy for a while. Not that I don't have a hundred other tasks to finish today....:facepalm:

Tidal_Force #12 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16000 battles

View PostJahrakajin, on 15 July 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

. . .

I now regret asking for this crap...I'll have a look at other posts later since apparently NOW I'll be busy for a while. Not that I don't have a hundred other tasks to finish today....:facepalm:

Have fun.

I do believe that explains why anime tanks are such a polarising topic, after all, as they say, image is worth a thousand words. You have probably a million words to handle.

View PostJahrakajin, on 15 July 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

I have a suggestion. Technical in nature.

I'll explain it with an example, say you type out expletive, in the middle of a sentence:

[edited]this.

Notice that word filter replaced both word and next space. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't remove the space.

Edited by Tidal_Force, 15 July 2017 - 12:06 PM.

Jahrakajin #13 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

• 1531 battles
  • [WG_M] WG_M

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 15 July 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

- You're running Invision Power Board here. Instead of using EXACT method, try other options that would edit the word if it's similar to a swear word.

Well I could check who handles this type of stuff and mention it, I can't promise anything obviously.

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 15 July 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Well starting with all the cancer, cancerous, ebola or other diseases would be a good start. I know you act upon them when reported but it should not be that hard to make it auto with warning/ban when those are used. And easier for me so I do not have to report them all manually ;)

The thing with these would be that they are inappropriate in the context they are being used most of the times here on the Forum. As unlikely as these words would be used in a on topic discussion (Maybe some Medical students/Doctors open a Thread in Off Topic??? I don't know) I can't imagine adding them to the filter. 

As with the [edited]this. example I agree because it annoys me actually! However with so much stuff to do on the Forums recently this seems rather low on the list of things we are concerned about.

Joggaman #14 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 20388 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Just be glad you are not doing the Dingers-forum, Jahrakajin...:harp:

Balc0ra #15 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 56610 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 15 July 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

They need a girlfriend badly by the looks of it.

TsundereWaffle #16 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

General

• Player
  • 22895 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
boi

Pablo_Amenable #17 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10862 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 15 July 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

They need a girlfriend badly by the looks of it.

Probably don't really see sunlight that type of wankers

_Warris_ #18 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36603 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
:popcorn:Popcorn anyone?

Jumping_Turtle #19 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 52289 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostJahrakajin, on 15 July 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

The thing with these would be that they are inappropriate in the context they are being used most of the times here on the Forum. As unlikely as these words would be used in a on topic discussion (Maybe some Medical students/Doctors open a Thread in Off Topic??? I don't know) I can't imagine adding them to the filter. 

No problem, I'll just report them when I see them.

hedi2222 #20 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23026 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Woop Woop moral police here , So glad you really care for the well being of this forums , But that stat of mind only strikes you when you're not insulting people ingame so that's slightly hypocritical. 

Admitidaly , they've went slightly overboard with that crap. But honestly , the moderation system is too busy giving people warning points for Dumb crap rather than actually sanction similar or more dangerous stuff that you dont want your kid to see in a 13+ Game.

Kudos to Jahrakajin tho , he's doing his best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users