So the new arty meta is only shoot lightly armored and open vehicles.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

MacD3rpington #1 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13557 battles

Well, it seems the only way to do proper amount of damage is to shoot lightly armored vehicles like the CDC and open TDs.

This is completely wrong WG. Find something out unless, a lot more accurate and fast firing arties will only focus on these vehicles, not on the strategic points and their players will be out of their mind for all the right reasons.

No one will shoot a super heavy or and E3 or E4 for 189 avg dmg and 10 seconds of useless stun because most of the teams are using this 10 seconds to get the hell away from them, instead of shooting them.

WG this arty rework is a bust. Get back to the drawing board.

RamRaid90 #2 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 19655 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Are you saying that artillery players have ever used "strategy" to aid in the outcome of a battle?

No. This has never happened.

The average artillery player plays the game with one hand on the mouse, and the other up his jackson. He uses XVM to find the highest ranked player in the enemy team, and systematically works his way down the list. I suppose it is a sort of strategy, in the same way that banging your head against the side of a house is a way of knocking it down.

Edited  That is it.

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

Edited by VMX, 16 July 2017 - 12:37 PM.

Noo_Noo #3 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:29 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

View PostMacD3rpington, on 15 July 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

Well, it seems the only way to do proper amount of damage is to shoot lightly armored vehicles like the CDC and open TDs.

This is completely wrong WG. Find something out unless, a lot more accurate and fast firing arties will only focus on these vehicles, not on the strategic points and their players will be out of their mind for all the right reasons.

No one will shoot a super heavy or and E3 or E4 for 189 avg dmg and 10 seconds of useless stun because most of the teams are using this 10 seconds to get the hell away from them, instead of shooting them.

Correct. Given a choice the arty player will take the soft target every time. I would too if I played arty anymore. 

To me the application of arty in the game is simply flawed. 

Jigabachi #4 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17726 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRamRaid90, on 15 July 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

I suppose it is a sort of strategy, in the same way that banging your head against the side of a house is a way of knocking it down.

If we ignore the people who desperately try to hit the stock bottomtier turretless TD only because he is a purple player, it's actually a pretty effective strategy and quite similar to how better players use XVM.

@ thread: I'd shoot those heavy tanks to keep them busy and vulnerable. And I bet I'm not the only one who would do that. 

Arty isn't just about damage anymore.

Edited by Jigabachi, 15 July 2017 - 11:32 AM.

RamRaid90 #5 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 19655 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostJigabachi, on 15 July 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

If we ignore the people who desperately try to hit the stock bottomtier turretless TD only because he is a purple player, it's actually a pretty effective strategy and quite similar to how better players use XVM.

@ thread: I'd shoot those heavy tanks to keep them busy and vulnerable. And I bet I'm not the only one who would do that. 

Arty isn't just about damage anymore.

I quite agree XVM can sometimes be useful for target priorities, but not really that often.

However If there is a brawl on a corner, 2 of your allies vs 2 of them. One target is a tomato with 200-300hp remaining, and one is a unicum with 600-700hp remaining. The obvious target is the low HP target (XVM user or not) as removing guns from the game should be all artillery players number one priority.

Sadly, 90% of the time this is not the case.

MacD3rpington #6 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13557 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 15 July 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Are you saying that artillery players have ever used "strategy" to aid in the outcome of a battle?

No. This has never happened.

The average artillery player plays the game with one hand on the mouse, and the other up his jackson. He uses XVM to find the highest ranked player in the enemy team, and systematically works his way down the list. I suppose it is a sort of strategy, in the same way that banging your head against the side of a house is a way of knocking it down.

Every time "Steve the artillery guy" manages to dump a load on someone he lets out a little giggle and rewards himself with a poop tunnel tickle with his longest finger. That is it.

Maybe I'm Edited, but I always kept the battle in mind when I played arty and tried to help where needed, not blasting soft targets with 1000dmg curveballs.  Now this is changing, because, you can't do proper damage and damage under stun is negligible. 

Targeting the Unicums is a pretty good strategic step. Keeping them stunned or tracked can influence the battle for you, in the right direction. If you ain't like it, drop XVM and be freed from the plague called XVM. I see a lot of Purple players only going for the damage in a tight situation instead of helping their team, so from my point of view, they get what they deserve. FOCUS:  

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

Edited by VMX, 16 July 2017 - 01:41 PM.

MacD3rpington #7 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13557 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 15 July 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

I quite agree XVM can sometimes be useful for target priorities, but not really that often.

However If there is a brawl on a corner, 2 of your allies vs 2 of them. One target is a tomato with 200-300hp remaining, and one is a unicum with 600-700hp remaining. The obvious target is the low HP target (XVM user or not) as removing guns from the game should be all artillery players number one priority.

I would hit the high HP high XVM guy 10 out of 10 times. The tomato guy will probably make a mistake and do 0 damage, the unicum guy will not., so the unicum guy needs to be stunned tracked etc.

This is not hate or disgust towards high XVM guys, just common sense.

Edited by MacD3rpington, 15 July 2017 - 11:44 AM.

RockyRoller #8 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28248 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS

anti SPG Translation

I think I'm so good that SPGs aim at me all the time and it has nothing to do with me hiding behind the rock at the back of the fight whilst others spot for me so I can get a higher win8 score.

SPG translation

well thats another retard sat there for absolutely ages letting me target, wait several seconds to aim then fire and wait seconds for the shell to get there and hit the retard who still hasn't moved a millimetre

RockyRoller #9 Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28248 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS

View PostMacD3rpington, on 15 July 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

Maybe I'm retarded, but I always kept the battle in mind when I played arty and tried to help where needed, not blasting soft targets with 1000dmg curveballs.  Now this is changing, because, you can't do proper damage and damage under stun is negligible. 

Targeting the Unicums is a pretty good strategic step. Keeping them stunned or tracked can influence the battle for you, in the right direction. If you ain't like it, drop XVM and be freed from the plague called XVM. I see a lot of Purple players only going for the damage in a tight situation instead of helping their team, so from my point of view, they get what they deserve. FOCUS:  

someone that good will not let you have the time to target them. I know it, you know it, the SPG whiners are just deluded by Win8 scores they're any good.

RamRaid90 #10 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 19655 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMacD3rpington, on 15 July 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

I would hit the high HP high XVM guy 10 out of 10 times. The tomato guy will probably make a mistake and do 0 damage, the unicum guy will not., so the unicum guy needs to be stunned tracked etc.

This is not hate or disgust towards high XVM guys, just common sense.

And that thought is exactly why you lose more than you win.

Removing the gun from the game allows your team to move in and surround the unicum player. No matter how good you are you can only attack one target at a time.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS remove guns from the battle where possible. A tomato with a gun is just as dangerous as a unicum when 25% RNG is added.

slitth #11 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11909 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 15 July 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

That a too simple situation. Artillery should go after that tank that easier to hit.

You ally's will not be happy if you wasted a shot on a tomato just to get a kill if there was little to no chance of hitting it.

And if you hit the unicum and make that tank a one-shot-kill then you will force the unicum to play a little more careful and perhaps even retreat from the fight.

RamRaid90 #12 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 19655 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postslitth, on 15 July 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

That a too simple situation. Artillery should go after that tank that easier to hit.

You ally's will not be happy if you wasted a shot on a tomato just to get a kill if there was little to no chance of hitting it.

And if you hit the unicum and make that tank a one-shot-kill then you will force the unicum to play a little more careful and perhaps even retreat from the fight.

Yes there are always many factors to take into account when choosing priority targets. Which is why it's done on the fly, and XVM cannot always be a reliable guide.

As I said, the first priority for every artillery player should be "Can I use this shell to remove a gun from the game?" And the same applies to all tanks really. If you can remove a gun from the game do it, at the end of the day that enemy with 1 Hp remaining and a 130mm gun can still cause the same damage with 1hp than he can with full HP.

A dead player cannot shoot back, I guess would be the simple answer.

Edited by RamRaid90, 15 July 2017 - 12:12 PM.

MacD3rpington #13 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13557 battles

We are talking about a very specific situation (2vs2) and I have reacted to that.

Even, I can only shoot in each 30-40 seconds. so probably I would wait for the Unicum guy exposing himself a bit. There is a chance, that the tomato will play it wrong and my teammate can kill him anyway. Besides, if he is a unicum and I fire, he exactly knows that I will not be able to shoot in 30-40 seconds again, so he can go out finish my teammate and come after me.

roachex #14 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20261 battles
  • [RIGA] RIGA
Yep, hitting soft targets is more appealing now. A direct hit on heavily armored tanks, getting a 300-400 dmg roll is almost a "that was a great shot!" while get a 1k dmg roll against lorr40t, skorpion, leopards etc is "yep, thats a hit".

Well point of SPG now is reducing LT, MT and other paper tank advancing and abusing tactical positions. Hitting an armored tank is only for tracking dmg. They should have left the pen for shells as it was, not invent miracle stun thing and increase acc greatly and seriously nerf shell travel time, like 2secs per 100m for 45deg arc...

laulaur #15 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46450 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX

View PostMacD3rpington, on 15 July 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

Yep, this is the ''arty nerf''. Now they beat the crap out of the meds, lights and unarmored TD's- but are almost useless against armored but slow tanks. 

Soon every arty 47% winrate bob will figure this, and good luck ''avoiding'' arty with your unarmored but fast tank on the current small corridor maps...

You hide behind a house/rock?.............. No problem, arty just shoots next to you and you get splash damage, stun and some injured crew members.

You use your speed and mobility?......... No problem, arty still hits you because now they have huge splash, super-fast shells and pinpoint precision. 

Somehow they managed to broke arty even more than before, and now it brings more frustration in game than ever.

HeidenSieker #16 Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostMacD3rpington, on 15 July 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

(snip)

People shoot at enemy vehicles based on a number of factors. What you imply is wrong in many cases.

This morning the Bishop got Westfield, SW spawn, and needed to blow up an O-Ni which was giving other team members a lot of trouble (took a few shots, though!); oy vey, the value of SPGs, hm?

Edited by HeidenSieker, 15 July 2017 - 02:10 PM.

WindSplitter1 #17 Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14273 battles

View PostMacD3rpington, on 15 July 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

No.

View PostRamRaid90, on 15 July 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

And that thought is exactly why you lose more than you win.

Removing the gun from the game allows your team to move in and surround the unicum player. No matter how good you are you can only attack one target at a time.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS remove guns from the battle where possible. A tomato with a gun is just as dangerous as a unicum when 25% RNG is added.

Yeah. I gotta agree with this. Considering that SPGs no longer go titanic I'd say the players driving it should harass heavies, clusters or clean-up.

The problem isn't the class anymore but those using it. IMHO, if you can't do teamwork, you really shouldn't be in an SPG and tbh, makes far more sense to have a player that uses the SPG as the support vehicle it is and it is meant to be played or an unicum in it.

HeidenSieker #18 Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostMacD3rpington, on 15 July 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

I would hit the high HP high XVM guy 10 out of 10 times.

Oh! But some people say "there is no such thing as XVM focus!".

I think they are quite wrong, and would like to see WG disable in-game XVM stats for the enmy team.

Steve8066 #19 Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9578 battles

View PostNoo_Noo, on 15 July 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Correct. Given a choice the arty player will take the soft target every time. I would too if I played arty anymore. 

not true, I always go for heavy tanks first if they are in range/view. First they are slower to move out of the way, 2nd the more HP i can remove from them, the easier the rest of my team will find killing them.

HeidenSieker #20 Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostRockyRoller, on 15 July 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

anti SPG Translation

I think I'm so good that SPGs aim at me all the time and it has nothing to do with me hiding behind the rock at the back of the fight whilst others spot for me so I can get a higher win8 score.

SPG translation

well thats another retard sat there for absolutely ages letting me target, wait several seconds to aim then fire and wait seconds for the shell to get there and hit the retard who still hasn't moved a millimetre

Erlenberg this morning (replay posted), an interesting game. Managed to blind-shot a Grille, by pressing "Alt" to see where vehicles were when last spotted, zooming in, and selecting a bush. The first shot was a miss. He sat there still to take the next one which did 'im!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users