• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

OrcaJ #1 Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11740 battles
  • [HISSS] HISSS

Hi,

Im not sure everyone feels the same way but it seems to me that map development have been taking a bad turn compared to what we used to have. Most of the maps now, with a few excetptions have very narrow corridors, few or no other avenues of approach and little to no flanking opportunity. I prefer playing medium support tanks and or light tanks and with the current map-pool i often find myself with no real options.
Ensk has the field, in which there are very few places to hide if anything goes wrong.
Siegfried line has some opportunities in the field but can eaasily be countered by the opposition and you will be stopped at the midridge with no other means of approach.

Himmelsdorf requires armor, lakeville requires armor or atleast turretarmor. All these city maps are pretty much armor maps where huge dpm wellarmored tanks sit and wait and dont allow for any sort of dashing light or medium play because there are usually 2-3 ways of approaching the enemy, no bushes, no camo.

The best maps in the pool are Redshire and Murovanka. These actually allow for the use of bushes flanking, hillfighting, close quarters, TD lines and much more. We need more kinds of maps like these. Big, with hills bushes, and 6-9 avenues of approach, where if you play it right you can win the game in any tank. The development in recent years have been more towards 2-3 areas of the map where certain types of tanks will go and the area inbetween are inaccecible due to the fact they are inbetween the two groups in the open or just available for everyone to shoot at, example: The field on siegfried line or Malinovka.
These are my own opinions and im sure many of you disagree and please leave your own point of view and in the thread.

WindSplitter1 #2 Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14295 battles
  • [RYNO] RYNO

View PostOrcaJ, on 15 July 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

Hi,

Im not sure everyone feels the same way but it seems clearly shows to me that map development have been taking a bad turn compared to what we used to have.

Fixed.

Most of the maps now, with a few excetptions have very narrow corridors, few or no other avenues of approach and little to no flanking opportunity. I prefer playing medium support tanks and or light tanks and with the current map-pool i often find myself with no real options.

I feel and know your pain.

Ensk has the field, in which there are very few places to hide if anything goes wrong.

Yes.

Siegfried line has some opportunities in the field but can eaasily be countered by the opposition and you will be stopped at the midridge with no other means of approach.

Not necessarily. That map is won if you have a decent scout in the middle.

Himmelsdorf requires armor, lakeville requires armor or atleast turretarmor. All these city maps are pretty much armor maps where huge dpm wellarmored tanks sit and wait and dont allow for any sort of dashing light or medium play because there are usually 2-3 ways of approaching the enemy, no bushes, no camo.
Which is quite sad indeed.

The best maps in the pool are Redshire and Murovanka. These actually allow for the use of bushes flanking, hillfighting, close quarters, TD lines and much more. We need more kinds of maps like these. Big, with hills bushes, and 6-9 avenues of approach, where if you play it right you can win the game in any tank

Agreed 100%.

The development in recent years have been more towards 2-3 areas of the map where certain types of tanks will go and the area inbetween are inaccecible due to the fact they are inbetween the two groups in the open or just available for everyone to shoot at, example: The field on siegfried line or Malinovka.
These are my own opinions and im sure many of you disagree and please leave your own point of view and in the thread.

Even though we might disagree on some points, that doesn't make your point any less valid.

Quite sadly, I often wonder why some tanks can drive so fast if there are onlya handful of maps where they can actually use their top speed. They can still be workable but without being able to tell which map is coming, you have to adapt your vehicle to it.

Unfortunately, nothing will be made about it on the short term(((

Jigabachi #3 Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17753 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Good news: The shitty maps get a HD rework, so we can watch nice flowers, birds and all that stuff while not having fun.

Merton15 #4 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13474 battles

Having played only a handful of games since 2013, I became active once more a month or so ago. It is a massively different experience. Playing mostly TDs, pause to dive into bunker screaming "incoming", some of the new maps (Pilsen for example) seem only to offer hull down or peek-a-boo positions. Others (Westfield take a bow) have been so denuded of cover that it puts me in mind of the classic Python sketch "how not to be seen" (google it youngsters). Rather too many arty players are familiar with that sketch!

I had three TD lines up to Tier VIII, all over 50% WR before I took the extended break. I have all but given up grinding as I can't see Tier IX being anything but painful. Now I may be a touch out of practice and this may explain why I have found higher tiers a struggle, but the game does seem to be geared towards armour and mobility rather than stealth. Ah well, back to Tiers IV and V and learn how to play Lights and Mediums. Of course any tips regarding good sniping spots on the new maps are welcome!

Edited by Merton15, 16 July 2017 - 10:05 AM.

OrcaJ #5 Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11740 battles
  • [HISSS] HISSS
I can only imagine how much of a change it is for you. I remember the days where the hellcat was considered OP because if you knew camo mechanics you could literally outplay anyone. Now the maps don't allow for it and lights/mediums without much armor have had their potential to affect the game drastically reduced and situations where they are effective made almost not worthy of mentioning. I'm hard pressed to find situations where I would be happier in a leopard 1 than a Kranvagn, Maus or IS 7. To be clear I don't think any of these tanks are overpowered, I just think they suit the maps and situations you usually experience on mentioned maps 10x better.
Long story short get a mobile heavy with scary alpha and don't bother with much else unless you're playing in a competitive scene

JuliusCheddar #6 Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28001 battles
It's not just bad map design. As foch said, if I spawn on some maps I literally want my tank to drown before countdown ends. I actually have no idea how maps like windstorm, highway or Paris are still in the game. 

Also tagged with maps, funnel, corridor, support

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users