spg ARV ARRV

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Tzorion #1 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3741 battles

Greetings fellow tankers

So, have been playing since beta, first on the Russian servers and since here. (same playername)

I have always had the feeling with online games that I wanted to play the class/race etc which is a bit special.

So naturally SPG´s was a good choice for me, I did something different than the other tanks in the game, however, we often get hate remarks along the way in a battle.

But as a game where balance is important to all players, the SPG class is extremely hard to balance, you will always have a divided playerbase.

What came to my mind, in order to keep a somewhat special line, in case WG decide to remove SPG´s from the game, a support class something like theese:

Armed Recovery Vehicles

M74

Adding a line (ARV/ARRV) which could repair other tanks either by:

• Recover a friendly tank by standing nearby for X% per 10 seconds
  • Recover a knocked out tank by pulling it back to spawn with very low speed (and ofc a timer to prevent abuse)
  • Using special abilities which costs "repair kits" instead of ammo, and can then AOE repair nearby teammates

Here we will have a class which will be forced to assist the team in order to get experience, lone-wolfing wont be an option.

The SPG class is an support class, unfortunately it is rarely used as one.

With some research I believe the most nations had this vehicle, I have posted some examples below, feel free to comment.

M31 'Little Ceasar'

M31B1:

M31B1

Sherman ARV:

Laatikkomafia #2 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 21315 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P
The only way to make clickers balanced is to remove them from the game.

Tzorion #3 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3741 battles

I honestly think that will be the case in time.

But in order to add variety to the game, this could be a solution? 

Jigabachi #4 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Good idea. Old idea. But it doesn't fit into the game. The game is so broken and ill-balanced that there is no way to add anything new without making the brittle base of the game collapse even more.

Tzorion #5 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3741 battles

With this class, they would not add more dmg to the games.

It would merely add a new aspect.

With all the current SPG players (both good and bad) it can be a good replacement.

The only thing they will need to balance in this class is the timers for abilities or % of repair rate etc.

Jigabachi #6 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I fear you didn't waste a single second thinking about how that would change gameplay. Just imagine an average match with those vehicles in the teams...

Tzorion #7 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3741 battles

I imagine a frontline, with the classic peek-a-boom, scenario

an ARRV stands behind, if fitted with abilities instead of ammo, the player must decide its priority in what teammates needs repair, if you then add a 30s cooldown, then I don't think it will be in the hate line for hate.

I doubt it will be possible to add a drag mechanic without possibility to be abused, unless you need to accept to be hauled.

Tzorion #8 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3741 battles

Also, the premium "Reapir kits" could repair a module as well.

I truly believe this could add a more dynamic flow to the game without being op.

Jigabachi #9 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
And making cornerbrawling even more tedious and boring would be a good thing in your opinion?

Tzorion #10 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:13 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3741 battles

You would have to motivate the meds to flank them, at the same time it motivates HT to push as they are supposed to, because they know they have an ARRV behind to assist.

Again, with reload times as the old SPG models, 30-45 seconds you would not magically see a HT go full hp all of sudden.

trispect #11 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33277 battles
  • [HSOP] HSOP

View PostTzorion, on 16 July 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

You would have to motivate the meds to flank them...

Stopped reading there. So WG would first have to rework almost all the maps taking out corridors to enable flanking.

Jigabachi #12 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTzorion, on 16 July 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

You would have to motivate the meds to flank them

In that case we would also need demolition vehicles as a playable class to enable those meds to flank... but I don't know any of those who were able to move or destroy entire mountains.

Sooo... maybe introduce nuclear bombs, too?

After that, the game is almost ready for your new vehicle class.

Edited by Jigabachi, 16 July 2017 - 11:29 AM.

WindSplitter1 #13 Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 15417 battles
  • [KROLL] KROLL

View PostTzorion, on 16 July 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

You would have to motivate the meds to flank them, at the same time it motivates HT to push as they are supposed to, because they know they have an ARRV behind to assist.

Again, with reload times as the old SPG models, 30-45 seconds you would not magically see a HT go full hp all of sudden.

Tzorion,

Don't let the nay sayers disappoint you. It's a forum thing. People are very narrow-minded and what they stated is just the reason why WG won't remove SPGs for now.

I only see the following issues with this:

• K.O'd vehicle's players leaving the battle before their vehicle is towed - OK, you stated they would have to be towed to their spawn point back. I thought it would be on the spot, Good.
  • Creating enough vehicles for the class - Without clones, I suspect this wouldn't be possible and these turn off the community a lot.
  • Replacement a high priority target with another high priority target - I suspect this is one of the points Jigabachi mentioned, which kinda renders the idea moot. The lack of T-50-2s would make them hold the ground almost as much as SPG, only they would need to expose themselves, which some SPGs are already capable of (Bishop, Bert, exteme example would be the Leffer)

There's also the lack of intention display from the game developers. I can comprehend they have better things to do than coming to the forum and tell us "We like this idea and we're gonna debate within ourselves to give it a go or not" or "Nope. How terrible..." but some feedback is better than none. Not that I expect PR dept. to improve in that regard.

With that said. This is a wonderful idea and I agree with it 100%. The issues I mentioned and others that could come up with can be solved. I had though about adding other classes to the game before but never came up with any. This is definitely worth exploring more than many other things that are on WG's list.

I would like to see some light on the end of the tunnel for this one, although I won't put my hopes in it. :)

Tzorion #14 Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3741 battles

Thanks for your feedback Windsplitter1

I have entered some very hot ground, even inhaling toxic air, by making this topic, SPG´s is the most hated class in the game.

But if they remove the class without adding something else, then I fear the games will be very boring in the long run.

My idea is just a rough stone, ready to be carved, either it will turn into a fabulous artifact or it will simply crumble.

My comment about making meds flank is purely wish thinking, I know it will never happen, even if the map is build for it.

I like the SPG class, but I also agree with many, that it can be gamebreaking in some situations, but I do not have a suggestion on how to balance it fairly. 

laulaur #15 Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46460 battles
  • [-WBZ] -WBZ

View PostTzorion, on 16 July 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

You would have to motivate the meds to flank them

Do you actually play this game? You cant flank [edited] on the current maps.

I think WG will sadly never remove the arty from this game. But if they will remove it, just refund the XP/credits to players and letthem buy some [edited] normal tanks and go fight, not camp on the red line. 

Please no more ''special'' vehicles for ''special'' players.

Gnomus #16 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34484 battles
  • [ASEET] ASEET

This would be just one more nail to camping box.

If you camp behind corner/house/hill what ever then ARV can be safely next to you and repair you when you get hit.

On the other tanks that try to push and get killed in the open, would be on their own. Or meds doing flanking and getting hit, but closest ARV is back where heavies and TD's camp while enemy tanks are getting repaired.

It would mean stay close to ARV and stay at position where you can safely fall back and wait out repair. Anyone trying to move out of covers or out of basic camping spots would be on the losing side or ARV business. Not a good situation.

Geno1isme #17 Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41454 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
Don't take this personal, but it's a horrible idea. Repair tanks in general, and your specific proposal especially. Just think about it: One side gets a Maus/Type5 and a ARV and you have an unkillable roadblock (even more so if WG is so stupid to remove arty). Or what happens in a good aggressive team: As you likely don't want to be directly at the front there is basically nothing to do for you. Not to mention the unavoidable issues of blocking people or supporting the wrong person, or considering how repairs would work regarding credits/XP.

Also tagged with spg, ARV, ARRV

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users