Jump to content


The truth about the Berlin PFANNKUCHEN


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

derEselausErgste #1 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 30100 battles
  • 3,117
  • [P4NZA] P4NZA
  • Member since:
    12-01-2015

Dear members and visitors of the English speaking forum,

 

 

within the last 4 weeks, the German speaking forum echoes from a discussion of biggest importance:

 

what is the right name for Germanys most famous pastry, the PFANNKUCHEN?!

 

If You are not familiar with German quality food (or if You are from the UK :B) then You should know a PFANNKUCHEN is a pastry of Berlin origin (similar to a doughnut, but NO doughnut at all!!!), filled with RASPBERRY JAM and covered with SUGAR ICING. Please notice: no other combination is allowed, neither different kinds of jam, creams or even Düsseldorf mustard for filling, nor other kinds of toppings!!!

 

Unfortunately, a lot of Germans (and Austrians as well, perhaps even Australians?!) believe the PFANNKUCHEN can also be called BERLINER, KRAPFEN, KREPPEL and so on. They also think You can use other fillings than RASPBERRY JAM and other toppings than SUGAR ICING. These people come from northern, western, southern and eastern Germany - what a shame! AND THEY ALL ARE TOTALLY WRONG!!!

 

Just to show the differences:

 

Thats a PFANNKUCHEN:

 

 

And thats a BERLINER (one of 3.6 million):

 

 

 

 

The PFANNKUCHEN will always be called PFANNKUCHEN, and only PFANNKUCHEN. People are wrong if they think of the PFANNKUCHEN as a pancake, cause a pancake is called EIERKUCHEN (a cake made of eggs).

 

 

So far about the facts.

 

 

Until today nearly 2.9k posts have been made about this issue (please see here), and the dispute has been spreading all over the German speaking forum (indeed some threads had to be closed by the moderatores because misdirected persons insisted in denying calling a PFANNKUCHEN a PFANNKUCHEN!!!). 

 

For this reason the donkey (thats me) asks YOU to aid this cause. Please add   #pfannkuchenmitzuckerguß   to Your signature to show Your solidarity with the original BERLIN PFANNKUCHEN. And never, never order a "BERLINER" when YOU visit BERLIN - the BERLIN people are strictly against slavery!

 

 

Sincerely Yours

Martin

theDonkeyfromErgste



Schlappenbier #2 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 33135 battles
  • 2,248
  • Member since:
    06-07-2013



MasterElljott #3 Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

    Colonel

  • Clan Commander
  • 27059 battles
  • 3,803
  • [DUCKZ] DUCKZ
  • Member since:
    04-06-2012

Dear Donkey - you really dont know what you are talking about.... The Picture you have posted is definately NOT a "Pfannkuchen". This is still a "Berliner"!!

 

Filled with red Marmelade and a Topic of fluid Sugar.....

 

A "Pfannkuchen" (Pancake) ist this here:

 



Jahrakajin #4 Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

  • Guest
Its my day off. I make the mistake to open the Forum (why not?) and I decide lets see the English speaking community to avoid Krapfen Pfannkuchen Threads...

Do we really need a 100+ pages about this again? :ohmy:

FluffyRedFox #5 Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 22958 battles
  • 8,377
  • Member since:
    12-05-2012

View PostJahrakajin, on 16 July 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Do we really need a 100+ pages about this again? :ohmy:

Wait what



Knollepops #6 Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2835 battles
  • 32
  • Member since:
    12-29-2011
I`m a Baker and i produce these Pfannkuchen several times a week. So yeah they are called "Pfannkuchen". :)  Nothing else to add here. :great:

WindSplitter1 #7 Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 15937 battles
  • 2,560
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

View PostJahrakajin, on 16 July 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Its my day off. I make the mistake to open the Forum (why not?) and I decide lets see the English speaking community to avoid Krapfen Pfannkuchen Threads...

Do we really need a 100+ pages about this again? :ohmy:

 

Since this is the off-topic section, allow me to say that you're my favourite moderator. But really, you should enjoy your day off otherwise. There will be plenty of threads to moderate by then :/

derEselausErgste #8 Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 30100 battles
  • 3,117
  • [P4NZA] P4NZA
  • Member since:
    12-01-2015

View PostJahrakajin, on 16 July 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

Its my day off. I make the mistake to open the Forum (why not?) and I decide lets see the English speaking community to avoid Krapfen Pfannkuchen Threads...

Do we really need a 100+ pages about this again? :ohmy:

 

Oh, Jahrakajin is quite ok. The original German Pfannkuchenthread has been captured from the Newcomer's Forum, and without him this wouldnt work. And I know he loves Pfannkuchen a lot!

Dragokar #9 Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 38293 battles
  • 2,749
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010

View PostKnollepops, on 16 July 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

I`m a Baker and i produce these Pfannkuchen several times a week. So yeah they are called "Pfannkuchen". :)  Nothing else to add here. :great:

 

You can be Gandalf if you wish but these things are Berliner!

derEselausErgste #10 Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 30100 battles
  • 3,117
  • [P4NZA] P4NZA
  • Member since:
    12-01-2015

View PostDragokar, on 16 July 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

 

You can be Gandalf if you wish but these things are Berliner!

 

Here You can see. THESE PEOPLE just dont accept the truth.

 

Dear community, please stand up for truth, justice and Berlin quality food (or king/queen and country as You wish)!

 

MAKE PFANNKUCHEN GREAT AGAIN



Nishi_Kinuyo #11 Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 7724 battles
  • 4,107
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

I prefer блиниы, сырники, or germknödel tbh.

Taiyaki are also quite nice.

 

Better than those (berliner) pfannkuchen at least.



derEselausErgste #12 Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 30100 battles
  • 3,117
  • [P4NZA] P4NZA
  • Member since:
    12-01-2015

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 16 July 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

I prefer блиниы, сырники, or germknödel tbh.

Taiyaki are also quite nice.

 

Better than those (berliner) pfannkuchen at least.

 

I do accept Your opinion, of course I do! 

 

BUT GERMKNÖDEL ARE ANYTHING, BUT THEY ARE NOT A PFANNKUCHEN AT ALL!!!



Logovanhogo #13 Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 28781 battles
  • 1,255
  • [NLK] NLK
  • Member since:
    08-15-2012

Attention! This is a public service anouncement from Vienna, AUT.

 

Without any doubt, the object of interest is called "Krapfen" or within some tolercance "Berliner". I work for a 1600 jobs-strong baking company in Vienna and i am a migrant from southern Germany.

 

I migrated to Vienna because Eastern Germany including Berlin sucks the well performing, high achieving and good working southern Germany dry. In the South, people of all backrounds working hard to allow Berlin people to moan all day about unfair nature of the world and consume those workers tax money. Berlin is only barly running because we sent some swabians to maintain some level of civilization and administrational capabilities.

 

Would you trust people still not hosting a major company HQ by market cap? Would you trust people incapable building an airport with free money? Would you trust people who talk the talk but can't walk the walk?

 

End this madness and order a Berliner pointing straight at the delicious bakery. The one who pays the bills rule SUPREME.

 

And don't go to "Dunking donots" you ***** cosmopolitan!

 

:trollface:



derEselausErgste #14 Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 30100 battles
  • 3,117
  • [P4NZA] P4NZA
  • Member since:
    12-01-2015

View PostLogovanhogo, on 16 July 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Attention! This is a public service anouncement from Vienna, AUT.

 

Without any doubt, the object of interest is called "Krapfen" or within some tolercance "Berliner". I work for a 1600 jobs-strong baking company in Vienna and i am a migrant from southern Germany.

 

I migrated to Vienna because Eastern Germany including Berlin sucks the well performing, high achieving and good working southern Germany dry. In the South, people of all backrounds working hard to allow Berlin people to moan all day about unfair nature of the world and consume those workers tax money. Berlin is only barly running because we sent some swabians to maintain some level of civilization and administrational capabilities.

 

Would you trust people still not hosting a major company HQ by market cap? Would you trust people incapable building an airport with free money? Would you trust people who talk the talk but can't walk the walk?

 

End this madness and order a Berliner pointing straight at the delicious bakery. The one who pays the bills rule SUPREME.

 

And don't go to "Dunking donots" you ***** cosmopolitan!

 

:trollface:

 

You may ask those guys from southern Germany / Vienna about Bavarian veal sausage or Apfelstrudel or Mozartkugeln or whatever You want - but they just don't care about high quality pastry, and for sure they do not cae for PFANNKUCHEN!!!

Erwin_Von_Braun #15 Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:02 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 38254 battles
  • 4,952
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014
As much as I hate to admit this, when it comes to pastries, the French have got everyone beat :(

1ncompetenc3 #16 Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:36 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 36897 battles
  • 11,492
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

When I hear Eierkuchen I think of these dry things.

 

 

Ah, the joys of speaking a language that is similar to German but different enough to be constantly confusing. :rolleyes:



Partybooper #17 Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 24362 battles
  • 215
  • Member since:
    06-12-2013

I'm from Hessen (state in the middle of Germany), and a Pfannkuchen here always refers to a pancake:

 

Pfannkuchen

 

A "Berliner" (bakeries even designate these things as a "Berliner" on their signs) is this:

 

Berliner

 

I am wondering, if Berlin people refer to the latter as a "Pfannkuchen", what do they call the first one?

Because, come on, the first one is definitely a Pfannkuchen as well... Just type "Pfannkuchen" in Google images...

 

 

 

 

And to cause some more confusion, this is what we (at least in middle Germany) refer to as an "Amerikaner" (American):

 

Amerikaner

 

:)

 

 

Actually, thinking about it, Germany is quite a small country, at least area-wise. Yet we have so many dialects and words for the same thing others might not understand when they come from a different part of Germany.

 

Just take the many words for something as simple as a "Brötchen" (bread roll):

 

Brötchen

Schrippe

Semmel

Weck

Rundstück

Weggli

 

And how confusing it can get when you order one with a topping:

 

"Schabefleischschrippe" = "Mettbrötchen"

 


Edited by Partybooper, 17 July 2017 - 09:09 AM.


DeltaOperator #18 Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 23988 battles
  • 4,817
  • Member since:
    03-16-2014
It's still a goddamn Berliner.

Jahrakajin #19 Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

  • Guest

View PostderEselausErgste, on 16 July 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

 

Oh, Jahrakajin is quite ok. The original German Pfannkuchenthread has been captured from the Newcomer's Forum, and without him this wouldnt work. And I know he loves Pfannkuchen a lot!

 

So its my fault? In hindsight if I had closed that Thread due to Off Topic this whole discussion may have been avoided...

View PostPartybooper, on 17 July 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

 

 

"Schabefleischschrippe" = "Mettbrötchen"

 

 

As a German speaker never heard of Schabefleischrippe always knew it as Mettbrötchen (and I love those things). In Hessen Berliner are called Kreppel.



derEselausErgste #20 Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 30100 battles
  • 3,117
  • [P4NZA] P4NZA
  • Member since:
    12-01-2015

View PostJahrakajin, on 17 July 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

 

So its my fault? In hindsight if I had closed that Thread due to Off Topic this whole discussion may have been avoided...

 

 

Your fault?! It was an act of pure heroism!!!






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users