Lowe, to buy or not to buy.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

brumbarr #1 Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

Was wondering if i should pick up a lowe with the discount, I heard people say good things about it. Then i looked at tanks.gg and it didnt seem that impressive, bad dpm and bad gun handling, bad speed. So the only redeeming feature is the armor, which isnt even that good. 

So i wanna ask lowe owner if its worth it? Does it work out better in practice than the stats suggest? Any high skill players have one? Is it boring to play?

1ncompetenc3 #2 Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36897 battles
It's a hulldown/support tank. Strong turret, good gun depression, accurate gun with enough penetration to not need APCR against half the tanks it meets, but poor mobility, DPM and hull armour. Personally I'm not willing to give WG so much as another cent but as old premium tanks go, Löwe is pretty solid though not very exciting in playstyle.

cro001 #3 Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28787 battles

Lowe is pretty solid tank. It's pretty solid in all stats. Gun is reliable, new engine means it doesn't bleed much speed, and armor is... Monster when hull down or sidescraping. I can have a "friend" toss you a few replays if you want.

DISCLAIMER: I wouldn't spend euros on it, or any premium for that matter. Spending that extra gold is viable.

Edited by cro001, 16 July 2017 - 09:33 PM.

kripton69 #4 Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1208 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

It's the best tier 8 tech tree premium nowadays. Perhaps the S1 can get close in terms of absolute power level as in "being good at what it does" but what it does is often irrelevant in the current map pool. Most people believe that Löwe is a "playable" tank since the buff but honestly it's kind of a hidden gem right under everyone's noses.

Löwe is the tank I nowadays play in TBs(or SHs if I still played them) and it's the tier 8 heavy I pick in randoms nowadays. The main reason why it's so good is because it's good at taking down tier 8-10 tanks and barely needs gold. The dawn of Löwe was when the matchmaking changed and you started to almost never face lower tiers. Nowadays the value of your premium tank is determined at how effective it's against the big tanks of the same tier and the higher tiers it faces and that's what Löwe excels at. Although I'm not against spamming gold it's always nice to make more credits. In the new super heavy meta playing high tiers is expensive.

You also get 400m view range and you should equip Optics instead of Vents. The DPM is very bad(mine is 9.7sec with BIA, Rammer and food) for a 320 alpha gun but the Vents don't really contribute to it because whether you reload in 9.7sec or 9.5sec doesn't matter in practice. It's a gun you take a shot with and find cover, you can forget about permatracking and all the fancy tricks. Staying power is the key to Löwe.

But honestly Löwe is just a prime example of how irrelevant DPM is nowadays. It's much more important to be able to play any position you want, have some staying power and be able to spot for yourself. -10 gun dep + turret armor + good gun handling makes you a pain in the arse even for higher tier tanks in the medium areas and having workable armor for angling and good snap shot gun also allows you to brawl if the situation demands it. The 400m view range + Optics allows you to get 497m view range which means you can spot campers really effectively and the gun still hits long shots very reliably. The accuracy and shell velocity in the AP shell are both great. Because you can expect to face lots of higher tier heavies having a 294 APCR premium round also helps.

The mobility is obviously a bit of a downside but it's much faster than it used to be and I don't find it a problem. I am sure you're good enough to pick it up in a matter of a few games what the tank can do and what it can't do. In today's game it's better to be effective once you get into position(even if it takes a while) than be a fast tank that can't do a whole lot once in position. In randoms mobility is just overrated.

Typically there are two kinds of people who misplay the tank. First the ones who have read somewhere that it's a "sniper tank" and play it like TDs, passively. With 320 alpha and [edited] DPM... yeah, no. Basically these are the players who are overly focused on the weak lower plate and think the armor is bad. They also find the thought of playing a heavy as a slow medium silly.

The other player type is the one that plays Löwe exactly as Defender. They go to the "heavy area" time after time, find a nice corner and start trading shots with the enemy Maus. You can only imagine how quickly they "realize" that the tank needs to be buffed.

I can recommend it. It's no Defender but it's a good generalist heavy that rewards good plays and punishes bad ones. It's one of those tanks that I never feel useless in regardless of the matchmaking. The tank has some tools in any situation and as long as the driver sees the options and generally picks the right one it's a good tank.

Edited by kripton69, 16 July 2017 - 10:02 PM.

Uebergewicht #5 Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

If the Löwe ever feels too slow for you, play the VKP for a few rounds. The Löwe will feel like greased lightning after that.

But seriously, it´s a good tank, one of my absolute favorites. Would not have thought that when I first bought it. It´s one of those rare tanks that feels good to play but not overpowered in any way. For example, the armor is good, but only if you use it properly. If you don´t it gets wrecked. The gun is good, but only if you position correctly and have some time to slug it out. And while it´s slow, it´s not terribly so.

With the great view range, the Löwe works great as kind of a sentry. Stick your turret out, watch over the area and snipe anything that pops up. I run my Löwe without food for greater credit gain and still have 470m+ view range, which leads to the occasional game with ridiculous amounts of assist damage. It also seems as if many players still underestimate the tank (to be fair, there are a lot of terrible Löwe players out there).

Velvet_Underground #6 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:03 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22243 battles
Personally I'd vote with my wallet so to say and not pay WG a dime anymore in the first place untill they start fixing the game (wont happen which is why I'm pretty much inactive since the end of may). Why would you want to pay 30€ for a tank that probably will be worthless sooner or later due to powercreep and WGs screw ups?

Hedgehog1963 #7 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:27 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50878 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

View PostVelvet_Underground, on 16 July 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

Personally I'd vote with my wallet so to say and not pay WG a dime anymore in the first place untill they start fixing the game (wont happen which is why I'm pretty much inactive since the end of may). Why would you want to pay 30€ for a tank that probably will be worthless sooner or later due to powercreep and WGs screw ups?

If Löwe were going to be power-crept, being a very early premium, it would have already happened.  Some might argue it was but it has been buffed.

GekkoGordon #8 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4072 battles
  • [-VUK-] -VUK-

Knowing you're a unicum, i say get it. You'll do well in it

brumbarr #9 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:41 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostVelvet_Underground, on 16 July 2017 - 10:03 PM, said:

Thats a separete issue, i still enjoy the game so giving them money is still worth it. I didnt but the chrysler though for the reason to not support them on OP tanks. 

My question was if its a good tank or not, as the stats seem bad but they might work good together.

brumbarr #10 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View Postkripton69, on 16 July 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

It's the best tier 8 tech tree premium nowadays. Perhaps the S1 can get close in terms of absolute power level as in "being good at what it does" but what it does is often irrelevant in the current map pool. Most people believe that Löwe is a "playable" tank since the buff but honestly it's kind of a hidden gem right under everyone's noses.

Löwe is the tank I nowadays play in TBs(or SHs if I still played them) and it's the tier 8 heavy I pick in randoms nowadays. The main reason why it's so good is because it's good at taking down tier 8-10 tanks and barely needs gold. The dawn of Löwe was when the matchmaking changed and you started to almost never face lower tiers. Nowadays the value of your premium tank is determined at how effective it's against the big tanks of the same tier and the higher tiers it faces and that's what Löwe excels at. Although I'm not against spamming gold it's always nice to make more credits. In the new super heavy meta playing high tiers is expensive.

You also get 400m view range and you should equip Optics instead of Vents. The DPM is very bad(mine is 9.7sec with BIA, Rammer and food) for a 320 alpha gun but the Vents don't really contribute to it because whether you reload in 9.7sec or 9.5sec doesn't matter in practice. It's a gun you take a shot with and find cover, you can forget about permatracking and all the fancy tricks. Staying power is the key to Löwe.

But honestly Löwe is just a prime example of how irrelevant DPM is nowadays. It's much more important to be able to play any position you want, have some staying power and be able to spot for yourself. -10 gun dep + turret armor + good gun handling makes you a pain in the arse even for higher tier tanks in the medium areas and having workable armor for angling and good snap shot gun also allows you to brawl if the situation demands it. The 400m view range + Optics allows you to get 497m view range which means you can spot campers really effectively and the gun still hits long shots very reliably. The accuracy and shell velocity in the AP shell are both great. Because you can expect to face lots of higher tier heavies having a 294 APCR premium round also helps.

The mobility is obviously a bit of a downside but it's much faster than it used to be and I don't find it a problem. I am sure you're good enough to pick it up in a matter of a few games what the tank can do and what it can't do. In today's game it's better to be effective once you get into position(even if it takes a while) than be a fast tank that can't do a whole lot once in position. In randoms mobility is just overrated.

Typically there are two kinds of people who misplay the tank. First the ones who have read somewhere that it's a "sniper tank" and play it like TDs, passively. With 320 alpha and [edited] DPM... yeah, no. Basically these are the players who are overly focused on the weak lower plate and think the armor is bad. They also find the thought of playing a heavy as a slow medium silly.

The other player type is the one that plays Löwe exactly as Defender. They go to the "heavy area" time after time, find a nice corner and start trading shots with the enemy Maus. You can only imagine how quickly they "realize" that the tank needs to be buffed.

I can recommend it. It's no Defender but it's a good generalist heavy that rewards good plays and punishes bad ones. It's one of those tanks that I never feel useless in regardless of the matchmaking. The tank has some tools in any situation and as long as the driver sees the options and generally picks the right one it's a good tank.

Seems like a good tank but the 2.9s aimtime still worries me. You say hun handling is good but that doesnt seem that good?

MutantLeech #11 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16746 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Yes

GekkoGordon #12 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4072 battles
  • [-VUK-] -VUK-

View Postbrumbarr, on 16 July 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

Seems like a good tank but the 2.9s aimtime still worries me. You say hun handling is good but that doesnt seem that good?

2.7s* and you only need stabs, then you get 0.15/0.15/0.09 soft stats

Vanezza #13 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 38403 battles
dont buy, dont be pay2win player

Edited by Vanezza, 16 July 2017 - 10:48 PM.

qpranger #14 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31464 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Lowe is fugly.

brumbarr #15 Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:55 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostVanezza, on 16 July 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

dont buy, dont be pay2win player

I already am ;)

HidesHisFace #16 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17705 battles

Just a small warning - with current state of matchmaking, be ready to meet higher tier tanks in more than half of your games. I'm not even exaggerating.

That being said, Lowe is a support heavy, not a frontline brawler - the armour, mobility and DPM are too bad for close range fights.

At longe range... that is another story.

The gun has relatively bad handling, but slow nature of the tank kind of negates it. It has good standard penetration and good accuracy, so you won't have to fire gold very often. 

10 deg of gun depression means you can use ridge lines fairly effectively.

It is less mobile than Tiger II due to worse terrain resistances.

Lowe generally has stronger armour than Tiger II but the hull is still not reliable. Turret, despite low nominal value of armour, is very strong - mantlet is big and nearly impenetrable, and turret cheeks are well sloped. But there are weakspots - just below the gun mantled and there also small strips to the left and right of the mantlet.

Side armour is good enough to allow some side scraping, but it is still easy to overangle.

Lowe is a sniper heavy. It is a bit of a one trick pony, but in right hands, it is a solid tank.

8126Jakobsson #17 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 62792 battles
It has girth. It is zuper kool. Sure it's good and all but that's not why you want to drive one of these babies. It's a choice of image and lifestyle. Löwe is a classic for the enlightened rebel. 

Zhongze_Li #18 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8454 battles
  • [HAV0C] HAV0C

View Postbrumbarr, on 16 July 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

I sort of view it as: if you don't need that full accuracy, the aim time reduces accordingly. It does not have huge bloom as long as you are not speeding downhill, but it does seems to take quite a while to shrink. It's definitely not my top-performing tank nor my favourite, but the gun is very good indeed.

brumbarr #19 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
Bought it, Ill see how it does when i am back from holidays in 2 weeks :p

kripton69 #20 Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1208 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Postbrumbarr, on 16 July 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

Its base accuracy and relative bloom are very good. The absolute soft stats don't look brilliant(still good for heavy) but they are much better in practice because the tank is kind of sluggish. The aim time is kind of meh but once you get used to it you'll naturally adjust to it and focus more on playing around snap shots.

Staying power also often helps with the hit%. With -10 gun depression and a strong turret you can play more or less any area and usually have positional advantage which gives you better shots, whether that's through having time to stop to aim while sitting behind your turret armor or having an enemy in like a Russian medium who has to commit much more with his worse gun depression which gives you larger hitboxes.

Edited by kripton69, 16 July 2017 - 11:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users