Impressions of World of Tanks after 1000 games

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

HMS_Antelope #1 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3106 battles

Hi

I have played WOT Xbox, World of Warplanes, World of Warships and have just started playing World of Tanks.  I had heard many negatives about the game which is why I didn't play it earlier.  I guess you can say I'm very interested in Military history and would be classed as a collector/wallet warrior.  Up to this point my biggest disappointment had been Planes as the product in my opinion is not very good.  I have really enjoyed ships and tanks on Xbox was good fun for a while.

The game itself is great, nice graphics and the tank choices are numerous.

Plenty of premium tanks in the shop although not particularly competitive for the most part.

The player base is probably slightly worse than ships but not by much, both a salty bunch.  However there is hardly any team work in tanks which is different to ships.

As a new player the low tiers are inhabited by experienced players with elite tanks and crew skills a plenty, these players can have thousands of games behind them and the tanks are probably non premium for the most part which I was confused about.

The match maker stinks so bad it actually wants to make me quit already which is worse than all the other WG games.

The vicious cycle for me in tanks have been as follows.

Get clubbed around 3/4 when starting.

Bought premium for crew training to compete with more experienced players.

Buy higher tier premiums to increase credit turnover to pay for equipment in the tanks and modules etc.

Buy more premiums to increase the slow crew xp grind.

Play T8 , if lucky be top tier every 6/8 games.

Realise that most T8 tanks can't pen T9/10 tanks.

Most premium tanks are average at best and not satisfying to play.

I don't know why but I don't like shooting gold, considering I have spent a lot on premium tanks I object to buying gold rounds.  If I am in a match I should be able to pen all tanks somewhere, even the rear of some tanks seem to avoid being penned.

I know the player base can get unhappy about new players rushing to buy premium tanks above there tech tree level but if the low tiers are inhabited by the experienced players all the time what choice do you have other than quitting the game.

I play solo but always want to contribute and do well in the game so for me it's important to compete in every match some how.

My message to WG if they read these posts is that the MM is ruining what is a great game, forcing players to use gold rounds, buy premium tanks which are not particularly good, be in an endless grind for credits and create AFK players who get so infuriated at being bottom tier so often just don't bother playing.  This also drives the players who don't want to buy premium time or tanks to inhabit low tiers seal clubbing with the T67 etc because they can get good games/credit from it.

I am currently forcing myself to grind to get sixth sense on my tanks in order to compete but if you ask me if I enjoy the game after 1000 games and would say definitely not.  I do hope that WG listens to the player base and improves the MM.

I'm sure some people will disagree with some of my points and as I mentioned it is only my personal experience in my first 1000 games.  I played WOT on Xbox over a year ago so I know about the game to a reasonable degree, I also installed the Quickybaby mod which shows how many games other players have hence my feelings on low tiers.

Thanks

HeidenSieker #2 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 7383 battles

View PostHMS_Antelope, on 17 July 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

I am currently forcing myself to grind to get sixth sense on my tanks in order to compete but if you ask me if I enjoy the game after 1000 games and would say definitely not.  I do hope that WG listens to the player base and improves the MM.

I'm sure some people will disagree with some of my points and as I mentioned it is only my personal experience in my first 1000 games.  I played WOT on Xbox over a year ago so I know about the game to a reasonable degree, I also installed the Quickybaby mod which shows how many games other players have hence my feelings on low tiers.

I can certainly agree with some of yoiur points, esp. noobs being made to play with very experienced players; however, until WG sees some sense in banding platers by some measure of prowess, I suspect nothing will happen.

As for not enjoying the game, well:- I'm el farid that there's only one answer (you could try playing T4-6 though. which I do, since I'm appalled by higher tier games/gameplay/attitude).

Merton15 #3 Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10151 battles

OP you seem to have done what so many of us did as noobs, race up the tiers. A small number of games played in a large number of tanks indicates stock tanks and poor quality crews. My suggestion would be to focus on a tank type you enjoy, upgrade it fully, train the crew and move up when you are ready and have plenty of free XP in the bank. Stock grinds in Tier VIIIs with a crew with no skills/perks are pretty miserable.

You seem to perform best on lower tier lights, why not focus on one or two favourites and really learn how to get the best from them? Maybe add some Tier V classics like the KV1, PZIVH or StugIIIG which will give you a sound grounding in HT, MT and TD play respectively?

Slind #4 Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46124 battles

The problem is selling premium tanks to players who have no idea how to use them. If I got 1€ from every battle where there's a failing T8 premium tank, I wouldn't have to work ever again. Either people are just stupid or new, but in either case they are useless. You can't just go play T8 tank and expect it not to be different from T1 or T3. That's why you progress tier to tier.

And yes, low tiers have experienced players, like me, because low tiers aren't as frustrating as high tiers. At high tiers there's always some newbie or idiot who can't do anything in his tank, and since I like to play light tanks, there isn't much I can do if our top tier heavy thinks it's his job to 0 damage. But in any case, keep playing, nevermind the sealclubbers, and play russian medium tanks.

The_Baba_Yaga #5 Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1792 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

The first few tiers (1-3) would be much easier for new players if

(a) the M2Light was nerfed (although the T2 Light Premium is also a problem but at least has penetrable armour by most others)

(b) you couldn't mount equipment (like binos/camo net/optics) until tier 4 as new player don't have the credits for these putting them at a huge disadvantage

Edited by The_Baba_Yaga, 17 July 2017 - 05:55 PM.

xx984 #6 Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 42370 battles
  • [ENZYM] ENZYM

View PostHMS_Antelope, on 17 July 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

Hi

I have played WOT Xbox, World of Warplanes

You poor thing :ohmy:

Headless_Rooster #7 Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7862 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

Get a microphone/headset, Install teamspeak, join a clan and find the fun factor. Randoms are just part of the grind, the real fun is in platooning, skirmishes and team battles with communication between team/clan mates IMO, which will get you trained up for Stongholds and Clan Wars too (if/when WG listens to the playerbase and fixes it).

Skirmishes start at tier 6, common tanks to aim for depending which class you like is: cromwells for meds (best all rounder by far), T37 for lights (not the best LT but it has a useful gun for skirmishes) or say a KV-85 for a heavy - it's a good tank to aim for since it will take you up the IS3 line, which you'll need for tier 8 team battles later, I'd recomend the cromwell as a first skirmish tank. 

There are loads of clans about, I'm a bit biased since I'm already in WoT University, but I would suggest it is THE best clan for new players learning the game atm, there's a new training program starting at the end of this month too. There are some great players to platoon with, no-one will berate you for making mistakes since there is no required skill level to join, it's a great way to learn while having fun.(you can take part in skirmishes if you fancy it, you don't need any skill/experience to take part, just have one of the suggested tanks above) You get more XP when platooning so it's always better than grinding alone, even grinding on your own is better when logged into the clan teamspeak! 

Check out our recruitment thread for the details http://forum.worldof...636062-wot-uni/

1ncompetenc3 #8 Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34862 battles
And that, kids, is why you inform yourself and try before you buy 12(!!!) tier VIII premiums.

HMS_Antelope #9 Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3106 battles
Wow I didn't realise I bought so many.  Are you some sort of stat checker on the forum? Is there a point that you are trying to make or just pointing out what I mentioned myself?

Homer_J #10 Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25057 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHMS_Antelope, on 17 July 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

I know the player base can get unhappy about new players rushing to buy premium tanks above there tech tree level but if the low tiers are inhabited by the experienced players all the time what choice do you have other than quitting the game.

This I totally agree with, the rest is just the usual "change the game to be how I want it or I'll leave" post.

Gremlin182 #11 Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40607 battles

I agree with some of the OPs post one thing I would say get this GOLD idea out of your head forget gold ammo forget premium ammo just use it.

Can you imagine a Sherman tank crew after a battle with a tiger II tank saying something like yes I know I could have fired APCR  but I should be able to pen any tank in a weak spot.

This is fine you can pen him in a weak spot he can shoot right through your tank at max range no matter where he hits.

Wargaming made a huge mistake releasing this ammo for real cash money then they took a step back and gave a credit price too.

Never mind that the name Gold ammo stuck its real ammo used in tanks all over the world and no one in the real world thinks its unfair.

Its priced high to discourage over use or as a credit sink depending how you view it.

If you have a tank with a competitive gun then you carry just a little premium.

If you are driving a stock gunned tank or have a week gun then you carry more.

CommAce #12 Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6464 battles

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 18 July 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

And that, kids, is why you inform yourself and try before you buy 12(!!!) tier VIII premiums.

:facepalm:

HMS_Antelope #13 Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3106 battles

Why should I lose to a player who has 10,000 games plus playing a Luch, T67, T34, Cruiser II, KV1 etc etc with fully upgraded tanks, decent crews and full equipment firing gold? Can I not try and compete by trying to better myself through crews equipment etc? How do you pay for these and gain crew experience without premium tanks?

I know posting on a forum full of members that have played the game since 1901 is going to get mainly one result, but maybe its all those players telling themselves they enjoy playing T3/4/5 after 40,000 games its ok because they aren't clubbing new players they are just enjoying the game with 5 kills and 1000 damage at low tier, it's just for fun.

So maybe get upset with those players rather than the new guys who want to contribute and enjoy a game without getting one shotted because no sixth sense, getting out spotted due to camo and crew skills, getting out DPM'd due to better crews and equipment.  I am happy not to buy average T8 tanks at best for the most part.

And by the way I very rarely finish last.

1ncompetenc3 #14 Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34862 battles

View PostHMS_Antelope, on 18 July 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

Wow I didn't realise I bought so many.  Are you some sort of stat checker on the forum? Is there a point that you are trying to make or just pointing out what I mentioned myself?

I'm pointing out something that should be, but clearly isn't, obvious. You're not the first person I've seen who bought a stupid amount of tanks before getting even the slightest clue about the game, but I don't think I've ever seen a battle count to premium tank ratio quite like yours. How did that ever seem like a good idea?

HMS_Antelope #15 Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3106 battles

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 18 July 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

I'm pointing out something that should be, but clearly isn't, obvious. You're not the first person I've seen who bought a stupid amount of tanks before getting even the slightest clue about the game, but I don't think I've ever seen a battle count to premium tank ratio quite like yours. How did that ever seem like a good idea?

What has battle count got to do with anything in relation to premium tanks? I will strike the players of this game a deal, I will go through the tiers as my "battle count" gets higher, the players with a higher "battle count" stay in higher tiers.  I don't think you realise whats going on in WOT in lower tier, I have usually one of the lowest battle counts, people have sixth sense on T3 tanks ffs.  Show me another way of enjoying the game without competing with equipment and crews skills.

Please also note as stated before I have a good understanding of tanks due to Xbox and WG products, I have T9 tanks on my xbox account.

Also note "collector" I have a full time job, income etc which I choose to spend some of that in game if that's ok with you.

1ncompetenc3 #16 Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34862 battles

View PostHMS_Antelope, on 18 July 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

What has battle count got to do with anything in relation to premium tanks? I will strike the players of this game a deal, I will go through the tiers as my "battle count" gets higher, the players with a higher "battle count" stay in higher tiers.  I don't think you realise whats going on in WOT in lower tier, I have usually one of the lowest battle counts, people have sixth sense on T3 tanks ffs.  Show me another way of enjoying the game without competing with equipment and crews skills.

Please also note as stated before I have a good understanding of tanks due to Xbox and WG products, I have T9 tanks on my xbox account.

Also note "collector" I have a full time job, income etc which I choose to spend some of that in game if that's ok with you.

It's generally a good idea to learn to play in regular tanks, then when you have some idea of how the game works and what kind of tanks you enjoy look into premiums. Standard advice is to not buy any premium tank that is of a higher tier than your highest tier regular tank. You seem to have blindly clicked the buy now button a few times instead. Even outside WoT I personally prefer to inform myself about what I'm buying and what I can do with it rather than spending objectively ridiculous amounts of money (considering what you get for it) on something I'm utterly clueless about.

Not only that, but you actually made things worse for yourself. You say you bought higher tier premiums to compete with people using equipment and well-trained crews, but it should be quite obvious that most people playing low tiers have crap crews and no equipment as that's where new players are found, whereas most people at high tiers have at least decent crews and use three pieces of equipment on each tank, provided they didn't use the same backwards logic you use. You ran face-first into the exact thing you were attempting to flee from.

WoT XboX is different enough from WoT PC that little of what you learned actually carries over, if posts from others who went from Xbox to PC are anything to go by.

HeidenSieker #17 Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

Major

• Player
  • 7383 battles

View PostHMS_Antelope, on 18 July 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

Why should I lose to a player who has 10,000 games plus playing a Luch, T67, T34, Cruiser II, KV1 etc etc with fully upgraded tanks, decent crews and full equipment firing gold?[1]

Can I not try and compete by trying to better myself through crews equipment etc? How do you pay for these and gain crew experience without premium tanks?[2]

I know posting on a forum full of members that have played the game since 1901 is going to get mainly one result, but maybe its all those players telling themselves they enjoy playing T3/4/5 after 40,000 games its ok because they aren't clubbing new players they are just enjoying the game with 5 kills and 1000 damage at low tier, it's just for fun. So maybe get upset with those players rather than the new guys who want to contribute and enjoy a game without getting one shotted because no sixth sense, getting out spotted due to camo and crew skills, getting out DPM'd due to better crews and equipment.  I am happy not to buy average T8 tanks at best for the most part.[3]

And by the way I very rarely finish last.

1) I agree; the problem is, however, how do you differentiate between experienced and less xperienced players? Win rate seems superficially a possibility. Say there were a banding system - just as a simple illustration, people (O)ver 50% WR and those (U)nder; then what would happen to the WRs of those in each band? They would start to grade themselves independently in each band, wouldn't they. In band O there would be a large variation, say from 45% to 65%; in band U there would be the same. How then would people "jump the skill barrier" from one band to the next? Some other measurement would be needed, suggesting that plain WR is not sufficient on its own. WN8? Perhaps, or something similar - but that does not belong to WG!

Tell you what - if you can solve this conundrium, WG might give you 10 automatic fire extinguishers ;)

2) Just play to get credits and add stuff. People who have no premium tanks, stil fit odds and ends, buy consumables, etc.

3) A nice illustration of hipocrisy by some of the "goodish" player-base, who love blowing up noobs, but hate being SPG'd! :)

HMS_Antelope #18 Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3106 battles

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 18 July 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

It's generally a good idea to learn to play in regular tanks, then when you have some idea of how the game works and what kind of tanks you enjoy look into premiums. Standard advice is to not buy any premium tank that is of a higher tier than your highest tier regular tank. You seem to have blindly clicked the buy now button a few times instead. Even outside WoT I personally prefer to inform myself about what I'm buying and what I can do with it rather than spending objectively ridiculous amounts of money (considering what you get for it) on something I'm utterly clueless about.

Not only that, but you actually made things worse for yourself. You say you bought higher tier premiums to compete with people using equipment and well-trained crews, but it should be quite obvious that most people playing low tiers have crap crews and no equipment as that's where new players are found, whereas most people at high tiers have at least decent crews and use three pieces of equipment on each tank, provided they didn't use the same backwards logic you use. You ran face-first into the exact thing you were attempting to flee from.

WoT XboX is different enough from WoT PC that little of what you learned actually carries over, if posts from others who went from Xbox to PC are anything to go by.

Yes it is a different game vs. Xbox as you have a keyboard/mouse and better graphics on PC it's a little faster and the player base is better on PC.  The tanks, mechanics, equipment, crews, premium etc is either the same or similar so perhaps you could google as you clearly have no clue.

It would surprise you to know I did google the tanks and yes some of them are average/bad but there is no other way to get quick crews and cash than higher tier.  We don't all want to buy OP tanks so we can marvel in our stats.  

What I choose to spend my money on is my concern.

You are very assumptive of what I have done and quite frankly a little insulting as you know nothing of me.  I support the game financially which is why it is free for all because some pay for it.  I do my research unlike you for instance on the Xbox front.  

I will give you and your ignorance the benefit of the doubt as you clearly have looked closely at my account, I haven't bothered with yours btw.  I have standard tank lines supported by premium tanks to increase crew grind, hence medium standard tech tree tank with premium.  This is why I have so many because of the lines I am going down.

Also as someone with so many games why comment on low tier as it is loaded with crew skills and players with lots of experience, you have an opinion so is this personal to you, do you enjoy killing the new players with your low tier unicorn tanks?

Anyway I should probably refrain from the forum as it's not for new players to dare share there experience without an autopsy from the senior players.  So I will leave my experience to the archives and feel free to tell me more about me and my bad decisions.

Thanks for your special attention.

HMS_Antelope #19 Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3106 battles

View PostHeidenSieker, on 18 July 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

1) I agree; the problem is, however, how do you differentiate between experienced and less xperienced players? Win rate seems superficially a possibility. Say there were a banding system - just as a simple illustration, people (O)ver 50% WR and those (U)nder; then what would happen to the WRs of those in each band? They would start to grade themselves independently in each band, wouldn't they. In band O there would be a large variation, say from 45% to 65%; in band U there would be the same. How then would people "jump the skill barrier" from one band to the next? Some other measurement would be needed, suggesting that plain WR is not sufficient on its own. WN8? Perhaps, or something similar - but that does not belong to WG!

Tell you what - if you can solve this conundrium, WG might give you 10 automatic fire extinguishers ;)

2) Just play to get credits and add stuff. People who have no premium tanks, stil fit odds and ends, buy consumables, etc.

3) A nice illustration of hipocrisy by some of the "goodish" player-base, who love blowing up noobs, but hate being SPG'd! :)

I actually think you should be able to play anything you want but most decent people feel dirty using a clearly OP tank and crew at low tier and may only do this once a day, others I'm sure use it as stats/cash boosts.  But really can you blame players as we all suffer with the MM.  I have played many T4/5/6 games tonight at either bottom or lowest tier.  I have no answers other than protect the new new players, first 200/500 games and then hope the community treat the new life blood of the game with some care.

1ncompetenc3 #20 Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34862 battles

View PostHMS_Antelope, on 18 July 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

Yes it is a different game vs. Xbox as you have a keyboard/mouse and better graphics on PC it's a little faster and the player base is better on PC.  The tanks, mechanics, equipment, crews, premium etc is either the same or similar so perhaps you could google as you clearly have no clue.

It would surprise you to know I did google the tanks and yes some of them are average/bad but there is no other way to get quick crews and cash than higher tier.  We don't all want to buy OP tanks so we can marvel in our stats.  

What I choose to spend my money on is my concern.

You are very assumptive of what I have done and quite frankly a little insulting as you know nothing of me.  I support the game financially which is why it is free for all because some pay for it.  I do my research unlike you for instance on the Xbox front.  

I will give you and your ignorance the benefit of the doubt as you clearly have looked closely at my account, I haven't bothered with yours btw.  I have standard tank lines supported by premium tanks to increase crew grind, hence medium standard tech tree tank with premium.  This is why I have so many because of the lines I am going down.

Also as someone with so many games why comment on low tier as it is loaded with crew skills and players with lots of experience, you have an opinion so is this personal to you, do you enjoy killing the new players with your low tier unicorn tanks?

Anyway I should probably refrain from the forum as it's not for new players to dare share there experience without an autopsy from the senior players.  So I will leave my experience to the archives and feel free to tell me more about me and my bad decisions.

Thanks for your special attention.

Of course you're free to spend your money on whatever you like, just as I'm free to tell you what a terrible idea it was. I have to assume very little; you stated exactly why you wanted to get away from low tiers, and playing high tier premiums only makes those issues worse. It's interesting that you feel insulted because of my "assumptions" then immediately assume I'm a sealclubber. For the record, I don't even like playing low tiers, but what I like even less is people buying their way into high tiers without getting at least a grasp of how to play (something best done around tier V).

I'm not even going to try and grasp the logic you're using when stating I'm not allowed to comment on low tiers because of my battle count. Instead I'll suggest you refrain from using any internet forum in the future because if you have to turn a simple, joking comment about a bad decision into some kind of drama you're going to have a rough time anywhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users