Impressions of World of Tanks after 1000 games

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Tramp_In_Armour #61 Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 443 battles

View PostUebergewicht, on 21 July 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

However, for an inexperienced player, you also need to understand that this means you will always be the backbone of your team, and winning will depend mostly on you.

This is an important point. As a newb venturing into tier 3, I'm grateful to be bottom tier in T4 games. I'm nowhere near good enough yet to carry a game, so it's good to play a supporting role and learning from more experienced team mates. I'd imagine also that a B2, large as it is, is just a shell magnet, and I wouldn't like to contend with that if I didn't know what I was doing.

SilentGaze #62 Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 250 battles

View PostUebergewicht, on 21 July 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

The B2 has a lot of potential, but you still have to know how to use it. Its great strenght is its armor, which is pretty good, but strangeley its weakest in the front: The front is riddled with hatches which are all weakspots, so the key is usually to get enemies to shoot you in the side. Side armor is really strong, so side scraping and over-angling will be what helps you out most. It works best when enemies don´t really know the tank, but someone who know what they´re doing can give you lots of trouble. Thankfully the B2 has really good turning speed so wiggling your tank and quickly re-angling it is always possible. But even then you´re not invincible, the more punchy guns can go even straight through your turret (which is thankfully pretty small). Thus the other key aspect is usually knowing which enemies are dangerous to you and which aren´t. For example, tanks like Hetzters, Marders, Matildas or T-28s can really ruin your day because of their high-penetration guns. On the other hand, you can completely ignore Panzer 1Cs as they can literally not penetrate you even with gold.

Finally, the gun on the B2. In all honesty, it is only worht it if you bring lots of gold ammo. Standard penetration won´t really get you anywhere, and with gold you still need to hit weakspots on certain tanks like B1s and Hetzers, and something like an AMX Duck, a Matilda or a Valentine (or even an angled Durchbruchswagen) can really give you a run for your money. Thankfully the premium ammo is pretty cheap, so as long as you pen most of your shots and run premium account, you will still make a bit of money when playing it.

What makes the B2 truly great is the matchmaking. You´re always top tier, so you can always make an impact if you know what you are doing. However, for an inexperienced player, you also need to understand that this means you will always be the backbone of your team, and winning will depend mostly on you. If you go to the wrong places at the wrong time or just make a stupid mistake and get killed early, your team will be serverly weakened. This tank needs to get into the action, absorb fire and dish some out before your low-tier teammates just fizzle away, and while strong, it will not win matches on its own.

Thanks Ueberwihtich.

Good advises which I certainly need when I give B2 a try.  I've last weeks watched all B2 replays I've found, so learned little how to use it.  However I now concentrate driving my tier 3 tanks, especially Pz. S35, which is quite a good tank to practise B2. Both have same gun and doable armor.

Haven't had time to play lately. My 30 day premium account is draining rapidly, only 10 days left and I have played only 2 days on it. Hope this weekend can fire my game PC and do something useless, as my wife says.

HMS_Antelope #63 Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:16 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1875 battles

View PostEggyTheGumGumChewer, on 21 July 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Sorry, but all I see is another bad player complaining about how unfair the game is, while refusing to accept constuctive feedback from way more experienced players :facepalm:

Funny all I see is another unicum who thinks that because they have played the game a lot they have everything to offer and nothing to learn.  Good luck playing the game on your own when no one plays the game anymore.  It was just my experience of the first one thousand battles, I don't remember saying please look at my stats/purchases and feel free to make me look small because I bought some tanks on offer.  I try to play in a competitive manner but it is just a game, do you think because you call me a bad player I should shut up and play something else?

I wrote in the newcomer forum to see what other new players thought of the game, did they have the same frustrations as me, what did they do to combat the meta etc etc.  I didn't post on the ask the unicorn forum please ridicule me for spending my own money section, I didn't ask for advice.  I can watch you tube read forums etc.

It's a good job this game isn't filled with arrogant, self serving super unicorn ponies oh wait it is lol.

Thanks for the comment.

Mothless #64 Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8991 battles

From my experience working up through the tiers, although you will see quite a few experienced players in low tiers, they are not the majority of the combatants.  As such you will still have the opportunity to do some damage and slowly improve. What is certain though is that the higher tier you go, the higher the percentage of experienced players with good crews-jumping to tier 8 will not mitigate this.  Unfortunately at that tier, many premiums will give you the false sense of success and improvement as they are powerful enough to do damage to most armour they face, but without providing the benefit of learning how the damage/kills could be repeated by good positioning, etc.

Driving high performing tanks does not in itself bring knowledge of the game.  It is my belief that good map knowledge, combined with knowing the features/limitations of the tanks involved in that terrain in that battle are the deciding factors.  Unfortunately these values can only be accrued through experience.  Crew skills are the next major factor and without these, anyone will struggle, regardless of tier.  Again these can only be acquired through many battles.  Jumping up tiers to try and avoid the stat padders will only limit the ability to get those valuable crews that will be essential later on.

With regards experienced players at low tiers, these can be for may reason than stat padding (i.e, new line being started or the player just enjoys a particular tank) and as the OP states, everyone has the right to play whatever tank at whatever tier. it can be, and is challenging for new players to meet more experienced players at low tiers, but this has always been so and it is not a new phenomenon.

I am currently playing a lot in my Marder 38T, which as far as I am aware, would not be classified as a stat padding tank.  Nevertheless, it is fully equipped, has a 4 skill crew (the original crew in this tank I might add) and I carry at least 50%premium ammo, which I will absolutely not hesitate to use when called for.  I play this tank as my relax vehicle when I get irritated by the current

playstyle at Tier 8 and make no excuses for the carnage I can frequently create at lower tiers.  My experience and knowledge gained through playing this tank since I unlocked it has allowed me to get it to the state it is in.  I was once also a new player in this tank, and yet I have survived.

My advice is do not give in at low tiers, but work your way up, gaining that invaluable map and vehicle knowledge and most importantly, train those crew skills..  You will soon be able to spot the stat padding types and other dangerous vehicles and with increasing map knowledge, develop tactics to deal with them, or learn to avoid them whilst still dealing damage to the other red tanks.

Bear in mind that to a total newbie, even someone with 100 battles in a specific tank, will be the more experienced player and to be feared.  it is all relative and will found throughout all the tiers.

Stick in there and have fun-that is what it is all about

HMS_Antelope #65 Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:16 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1875 battles

Thanks good advice, I am fortunate to have a lot of consule games in so the maps are very similar and the mechanics the same.  Even only a few days ago my opinion was different on low tier, the T8 mm is so bad I am beginning to understand why people play lower tier. 

Thanks

EggyTheGumGumChewer #66 Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16204 battles
  • [CRY-X] CRY-X

View PostHMS_Antelope, on 22 July 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

Funny all I see is another unicum who thinks that because they have played the game a lot they have everything to offer and nothing to learn.  Good luck playing the game on your own when no one plays the game anymore.  It was just my experience of the first one thousand battles, I don't remember saying please look at my stats/purchases and feel free to make me look small because I bought some tanks on offer.  I try to play in a competitive manner but it is just a game, do you think because you call me a bad player I should shut up and play something else?

I wrote in the newcomer forum to see what other new players thought of the game, did they have the same frustrations as me, what did they do to combat the meta etc etc.  I didn't post on the ask the unicorn forum please ridicule me for spending my own money section, I didn't ask for advice.  I can watch you tube read forums etc.

It's a good job this game isn't filled with arrogant, self serving super unicorn ponies oh wait it is lol.

Thanks for the comment.

I have read through many of the comments, and most of the advices are actually very relevant. Your responses are quite the opposite. It almost looks like you are the one with all the knowledge here, as you clearly know better than everyone who is trying to help you...

I haven't looked at your stats, and I haven't looked at your purchases. You, on the other hand, seem to have already made up your mind that I am an "arrogant, self serving super unicorn pony"...

This looks to me more like a rant than a post to "see what other newcomers think". It seems like all you really want do is argue.

Most of the people in the newcomer's forum are actually players who would like to help new players like you to further enjoy the game and improve tactically.

Edited by EggyTheGumGumChewer, 24 July 2017 - 12:39 AM.

HMS_Antelope #67 Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:03 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1875 battles

View PostEggyTheGumGumChewer, on 24 July 2017 - 12:38 AM, said:

I have read through many of the comments, and most of the advices are actually very relevant. Your responses are quite the opposite. It almost looks like you are the one with all the knowledge here, as you clearly know better than everyone who is trying to help you...

I haven't looked at your stats, and I haven't looked at your purchases. You, on the other hand, seem to have already made up your mind that I am an "arrogant, self serving super unicorn pony"...

This looks to me more like a rant than a post to "see what other newcomers think". It seems like all you really want do is argue.

Most of the people in the newcomer's forum are actually players who would like to help new players like you to further enjoy the game and improve tactically.

I'm sorry but if you had really read the comments that I have "argued with" they are from players criticising my premium purchases, not disagreeing with the state of low tier game play, the burning need to gain sixth sense and to get a tank that can compete against players with vastly more experience.

You say I am a bad player? maybe I am but how would you know?

When you say rant I'm confused I am just saying what I have experienced through my first 1000 games, it's my experience not yours, you had yours a long time ago in another meta.  A lot of other experienced players clearly don't like new players buying premium tanks above the standard tech tree they have reached, I don't like playing against players with six sense etc at T3/4 and five all the time.

All I have done is said how I found the game, explained I have many games in Xbox which is very similar maps, same crew mechanic and same tanks, in fact I was upto to T9 so I defended myself with the experience I had gained doing that.

You have read the posts then commented on it by saying I am a bad player without looking at my stats which is irrelevant anyway and then you wonder why I think you are arrogant! I didn't say please give me advice I merely wanted to share my experience with other new players in the new player area of the forum.

So thanks again for your valuable contribution you have taught me a lot about the forum and some of it's members.  I also want to say there are constructive people on this forum with reasoned argument, perhaps you could learn from them.

EggyTheGumGumChewer #68 Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16204 battles
  • [CRY-X] CRY-X

View PostHMS_Antelope, on 24 July 2017 - 01:03 AM, said:

I'm sorry but if you had really read the comments that I have "argued with" they are from players criticising my premium purchases, not disagreeing with the state of low tier game play, the burning need to gain sixth sense and to get a tank that can compete against players with vastly more experience.

You say I am a bad player? maybe I am but how would you know?

When you say rant I'm confused I am just saying what I have experienced through my first 1000 games, it's my experience not yours, you had yours a long time ago in another meta.  A lot of other experienced players clearly don't like new players buying premium tanks above the standard tech tree they have reached, I don't like playing against players with six sense etc at T3/4 and five all the time.

All I have done is said how I found the game, explained I have many games in Xbox which is very similar maps, same crew mechanic and same tanks, in fact I was upto to T9 so I defended myself with the experience I had gained doing that.

You have read the posts then commented on it by saying I am a bad player without looking at my stats which is irrelevant anyway and then you wonder why I think you are arrogant! I didn't say please give me advice I merely wanted to share my experience with other new players in the new player area of the forum.

So thanks again for your valuable contribution you have taught me a lot about the forum and some of it's members.  I also want to say there are constructive people on this forum with reasoned argument, perhaps you could learn from them.

The people "criticising" your purchase of many high tier premium tanks before having spent nearly enough battles to learn how the PC version works at different tiers etc, is nothing more than a valid point. Higher tiers are more difficult and require better crews and equipment in order to stay competitive. You say that you do not like meeting t3-t5 tanks with sixth sense? At the higher tiers, almost all players have sixth sense and skilled crews.

Instead of writing what the others have said, I simply recommend that you look through all the responses again and write down the suggestions instead of looking at them as insults. Most of us are only trying to help.

Spending a minute reading this topic I already got a pretty good idea about how experienced you are.

If you had tier 9 on xbox, I can somewhat understand, although when you see that you are underperforming in your new premium tanks, perhaps you should consider that the tank itself is not the entire reason? Again, we are here to help and come with suggestions on how to fix this "problem".

I have written hundreds of posts, even thousands on various forums over the past years, all aimed at helping new players like you to improve. Instead of calling me arrogant I suggest you take a look at some of them, perhaps you can learn a thing or two.

I frankly don't care what your stats look like or anything related to that, I am simply annoyed with the fact that many new players like you refuse to use the feedback that they get and instead focus on the unconstructive ones.

LeprechaunOverlord #69 Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:58 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20157 battles
  • [CRYNO] CRYNO

First off, welcome to WoT PC, the saltiest place on earth.

The best advice anyone can give you, (never mind premium purches' etc) is join a clan.

Getting yourself a headset and joining them on Teamspeak / mumble / ventrilo / discord is probably the best way to learn about the game.

You'll be joining a group of experienced players who can share tips advice etc and you won't get (or at least alot less) as much salt as you do on this forum

HMS_Antelope #70 Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1875 battles

View PostEggyTheGumGumChewer, on 24 July 2017 - 02:27 AM, said:

The people "criticising" your purchase of many high tier premium tanks before having spent nearly enough battles to learn how the PC version works at different tiers etc, is nothing more than a valid point. Higher tiers are more difficult and require better crews and equipment in order to stay competitive. You say that you do not like meeting t3-t5 tanks with sixth sense? At the higher tiers, almost all players have sixth sense and skilled crews.

Instead of writing what the others have said, I simply recommend that you look through all the responses again and write down the suggestions instead of looking at them as insults. Most of us are only trying to help.

Spending a minute reading this topic I already got a pretty good idea about how experienced you are.

If you had tier 9 on xbox, I can somewhat understand, although when you see that you are underperforming in your new premium tanks, perhaps you should consider that the tank itself is not the entire reason? Again, we are here to help and come with suggestions on how to fix this "problem".

I have written hundreds of posts, even thousands on various forums over the past years, all aimed at helping new players like you to improve. Instead of calling me arrogant I suggest you take a look at some of them, perhaps you can learn a thing or two.

I frankly don't care what your stats look like or anything related to that, I am simply annoyed with the fact that many new players like you refuse to use the feedback that they get and instead focus on the unconstructive ones.

You came on to the forum post and said I was a bad player and was basically whining, this isn't the same as what you have just written.  I can see you write many posts trying to help people however you just jumped on the band wagon and made an assumption about me. 

I agree with you about underperforming with my premium tanks especially the higher tier tanks.  I accepted this when I bought them.  I can also say that since installing xvm some time ago I have only been the lowest wn8 on the very odd occasion. 

I don't know of another way of earning credits/crew xp quicker than high tier premium.  Is it fun using them probably not much of the time. 

I would have been happier going at a slower pace if the lower tier had been more new player friendly, frankly I feel the same about the forum right now. 

I am however shocked at the MM, this weekend has been the first time that my T8 has been in a lot of T8 matches, still lots of T9 but not so many T10 but unfortunately I was trying to grind T5 which has been horrendous probably due to the T6 give away. 

My two takeaways so far from the PC version of this game is how broken the MM is as I seem to spend most of my time either one or two tiers behind and how fellow forum members are quick to judge people and criticise others, I am spending money on the game which should be seen as a positive, I am using the forum educating myself on improving and to be honest the way the game is and people in the community I am questioning myself a lot why I am playing it.  WG products are very addictive and I have many thousands of hours spent playing them but this game is the least satisfying. 

Suurpolskija #71 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14229 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

I think you get about the same crew experience at lower tier premiums as in higher tier ones. I think they're balanced so that you get extra benefit for every tier under tier8 in experience.

I've actually many times told new players, that if they intend to buy only one premium ever, they should go straight for a proper tier 8 rather than buy several low tier ones. I understand, it bothers players who have properly progressed to tier8 to see people with very bad winrates and wn8 to be clueless in the high tier games but the fact is also that eventually the best premiums for credits are tier8 (and VK45.03).

Having said that, having a good crew and equipment is probably what affects your performance as much as your individual skill. I have two friends who have just started the game and playing f2p and even I have hard time to consistently do well in their tanks. Sure on some maps there are strong positions where you can for example use your armor and not require VR or nevermind the slower aim times and less accuracy but half the time it just doesn't work that way. So you'll end up playing some very bad games with some awesome games because you'll try something that either works or doesn't and after that you're sort of on your own against players who likely have more goodies than you do.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users