Jump to content


The Matilda Black Prince in 2017

MBP Matilda British Black Prince

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

NoPoet406 #1 Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 2440 battles
  • 502
  • [USAW] USAW
  • Member since:
    07-01-2016

Greetings, fellow tankers. Pull up a chair, pour a cup of tea, butter a scone and join me for a few minutes.

 

As some of you will be aware, I have had something of a "jolly-on" for the venerable Matilda Black Prince. And now, at long last, my best friend/girlfriend (it's complicated) has finally bought me one, just to shut me up. I have devoured every piece of information about this tank, and it seems at least 75% of the internet hates it. "It's too slow!" they wail. "It hasn't got enough ammo!" others cry. "Jesus, this thing sucks the grand potato - because it IS a potato!" was another (probable) lament. The advice of many gamers? "Buy the Matilda IV instead!" What an outstanding piece of tactical thinking - I'll just pop my British tank crews into a Russian vehicle! If only this logic had occurred to me sooner. I looked to the FV4202, but dearest Natalie was "not paying twenty-four quid for a pretend tank, are you stupid?" So the MBP was my only option.

 

I equipped it with vents, a rammer and that thing to reduce aim time. And then, with a beating heart, I pressed BATTLE, hoping against hope that my "dream tank" wouldn't turn out to be a complete disaster. Well, the first battle didn't go too well; an unfamiliar map and the lack of binoculars meant things didn't go too well, but to be honest, the tank survived punishment that would have sent my Churchill I running for its mum, and the gun was surprisingly potent. But then we came to the second battle. And the MBP showed me what it can do.

 

In my second battle, I earned several awards, killed four enemy tanks (including cutting off an enemy T34 from my ambush position and pounding it into the dirt), survived a direct hit from arty firing at point blank range (and then wasting the arty), damaged another four, and only failed to get six kills due to a wildly inaccurate weapon at long range. It was a victory with my MBP as the top tank on both teams for XP. I just owned half the enemy team in a tank that's reputed to be the worst in the game. THE MATLIDA BLACK PRINCE IS COMPLETELY BADASS. Check my player stats and you'll see there is no way in hell that I could make a "terribad" tank dance the way my MBP did.

 

And in every single battle since, except one where I got owned in the first fifty seconds, I realised something majestic: I was having fun. Fun? In WOT? After weeks of stressing about win ratios, kill ratios and WN8? The MBP made me forget such nonsense. It put me back to where I used to be: in the driver's seat in hell, laughing and cheering as the MBP blasted apart enemy after enemy. Currently my W/R in the tank has crashed to 45%. But believe me, when my entire team has YOLO'd or headed up the opposite flank and got crushed/left me unsupported, there is no tank in which I could actually win a game alone; "my skill is not enough". I need a few hundred more battles in this tank but from what I've seen, the Matilda Black Prince is probably the most consistent out of the 30+ tanks I own, and I go into battle with full confidence that it will break some heads, assuming it gets there in time!

 

So, an assessment of the MBP in 2017:

 

Pros

Can survive extraordinary punishment (some luck may be involved).

Rapid-firing gun lays waste to everything that isn't wearing Astartes terminator armour.

Will greatly surpass everyone's expectations if handled well. Players who specialise in British tanks are at a distinct advantage.

Excellent credit and XP earner.

Looks the business.

When you are driving this tank, everyone notices you.

 

Cons

Sluggish as hell up hills, think 4kph.

Sluggish as hell on poor terrain, think 11kph on flat ground (I thought my tracks were broken).

Low ammo count - "That ain't so good. Remember: short, controlled bursts".

Gun is absolute crap at penetrating Tier 6 Heavy tanks, probably as bad as the Excelsior. *

Long-range accuracy is surprisingly horrible, far worse than the Excelsior. *

 

* Note: The Excelsior is my current standard for a fantastic tank with a horrible gun.

 

Verdict

It's early days, but unless some disastrous reversal happens at some point, this is definitely a keeper, far funnier and more exciting than people made it sound. I can only conclude that these people prefer to play Russian heavy tanks with high top speeds, high acceleration, strong armour and excellent guns. Which other tank WOULDN'T look crap next to such a beast?


Edited by NoPoet406, 17 July 2017 - 09:46 PM.


SovietBias #2 Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:47 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 37406 battles
  • 1,310
  • Member since:
    06-10-2013

I must say, I find the tank really bad because it is sooo slow. I picked it in one of those valentine day discounts at 75% with some spare gold but I already had played 200+battles in TOG II before (plus T95), so my tolerance for slow tanks was already diminished.

 

However, in the few battles I played something really cool happened - during last Christmas event (the one with presents for 2.5€ ) I took it for a spin and ended up having a fairly good game, to the point that someone on my team did congratulate me after the battle and gifted me a few of those boxes just because he liked seeing a well played MBP. So, there's that , every time I look at it now I remember there are nice people around in WoT, despite all the toxicity we are used to. And maybe you are right after all - people notice you. I hardly believe if it was a T67 anybody would care.

 

(I suppose I could make this story more interesting if I said the Patton KR was in one of those boxes, but that's not the case. I actually got it from a box I got myself).

 

Have fun with MBP.


Edited by SovietBias, 18 July 2017 - 12:48 AM.


1ncompetenc3 #3 Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:08 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 36897 battles
  • 11,492
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013
I haven't played this tank in forever, but I'll always have a soft spot for MBP and MIV because they were my first premium tanks and they were my standard "warm-up" tanks (played at the start of each session) for a very long time. My biggest issue with MBP isn't actually the lack of speed, but the lack of ammo. This thing pew pews through its supply at an alarming rate. :ohmy:

Pandabird #4 Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:33 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 33973 battles
  • 4,526
  • [KOFF] KOFF
  • Member since:
    05-19-2013
I love my MBP, it's very easy to farm wins in it.
#1 go frontline ASAP
#2 keep driving
#3 notice half of team team dead halfway there
#4 arrive next decade, crush the opposition
#5 repeat steps to defend base.


It's so good i wrote a full story about it once, was some big dinger contest ot something

Sams_Baneblade #5 Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 17025 battles
  • 1,198
  • Member since:
    04-24-2012
I'm a simple man. I see Astartes terminator armour, I upvote.

Suurpolskija #6 Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18692 battles
  • 1,642
  • [URHO] URHO
  • Member since:
    01-26-2016
It's like a (somewhat) mobile deathsentry!

My first ever premium and I still like it. Should play it more often, but I rarely play sub tier7 unless tooning with my friends who are grinding something and even then Tilly B isn't optimal with it's PMM...

Hedgehog1963 #7 Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 51270 battles
  • 7,461
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

Distinctly recall my first ever battle in "Matty-Beep." So excited as it was the first British vehicle in the game that wasn't in another tech tree. South spawn in Abbey.  Went up the 1-2 line.  Didn't meet or see an enemy vehicle.  We won just as I got tot he top of the map.  0 damage, no assisted damge.

 

If the enemy come to you the thing can do wonders.  The APCR is incredible.   Problem is that  any enemy in an end-game scenario will own you because they are able to come at you from an angle of their choosing.



Sirebellus #8 Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 19013 battles
  • 542
  • Member since:
    02-04-2016

Matilda Black Prince - my second most played tank
 

What you have to do is wait for the aiming reticule to close fully, this makes the gun pretty accurate less inaccurate and stops you running out of ammo (if you want to pew-pew all game get a Churchill III)



ApocalypseSquad #9 Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 26457 battles
  • 2,031
  • Member since:
    07-31-2011

Vents, EGLD and optics for me.  It's not worth bothering with the rammer as (see above) you have to wait for the reticule to close fully to have any chance of hitting anything.  If you try and keep up with the rammer you just end up spraying your v. limited ammo all over the map.

 

However, dog slow as it is you will get caught in the open a lot - you really need that view range to pick up the snipers.

 

It's an odd tank, I either have great games or abysmal ones.  Nothing in between.  You have no control over events, you just have to take what's given.  I think that's why I am not a fan...


Edited by ApocalypseSquad, 18 July 2017 - 02:49 PM.


Pandabird #10 Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:08 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 33973 battles
  • 4,526
  • [KOFF] KOFF
  • Member since:
    05-19-2013
Spoiler

 

Wall of text warning :D


Edited by Pandabird, 18 July 2017 - 12:11 PM.


NoPoet406 #11 Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 2440 battles
  • 502
  • [USAW] USAW
  • Member since:
    07-01-2016

Thank you for all the helpful and informative posts.

 

Well, last night was a bit of a wake up call, as there weren't any spectacular results in the BP - other than a ridiculous win rate of ten games in the BP and ten victories. Pretty sure that's how it went. My WN8 advanced at a crawl though, just like the tank. I live in the UK and our time zone is GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). Every single time I play the game late at night, I tend to get absolutely hammered, no matter what tank I'm driving. The skill level becomes insane. Last night was the first night I can recall, in over 1000 games, where I consistently did OK. And the games where I did OK were all in the MBP.

 

The reasons I only did OK were threefold:

1, as mentioned, the skill curve accelerates beyond my ability to keep up;

2, the quicker tanks on my team (i.e. everyone) charged ahead beyond my ability to keep up;

3, I was constantly caught out of position and had nothing to shoot at most of the time, due to lack of familiarity with the tank and the maps.

 

Reasons why the MBP won't be improved by WG:

1. This tank is badass. Properly handled, and in the right place, the Matilda Black Prince is a match for just about anything it will face, except for very heavily armoured tanks - but it is still capable of killing KV-1, O-I and Churchill mk1 tanks.

2. This tank is hard to kill. Yes, a knowledgeable player can take one down, and light tanks spamming gold can hurt it, but isn't that true of every tank? It certainly lasts longer than the tier 4 Matilda.

3. This tank is British. WG seem to have a massive grudge against British tanks and British players.

 

If they did boost it, this would be nice:

1. Reduce weight to 24.5 tons.

2. Improve terrain resistance - this tank bogs down unacceptably even on wooden bridges - logic??

3. Improve ammo count - even though I didn't see a lot of combat last night, I was down to 17 AP rounds and 7 ACPR. God only knows what would have happened if I was the last survivor.



wsatnutter #12 Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Beta Tester
  • 24935 battles
  • 7,567
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    08-25-2010
I love the tank but im rubbish in it ,oh wait im rubbish anyway good read op

Hedgehog1963 #13 Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 51270 battles
  • 7,461
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

View PostNoPoet406, on 18 July 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

Thank you for all the helpful and informative posts.

 

Well, last night was a bit of a wake up call, as there weren't any spectacular results in the BP - other than a ridiculous win rate of ten games in the BP and ten victories. Pretty sure that's how it went. My WN8 advanced at a crawl though, just like the tank. I live in the UK and our time zone is GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). Every single time I play the game late at night, I tend to get absolutely hammered, no matter what tank I'm driving. The skill level becomes insane. Last night was the first night I can recall, in over 1000 games, where I consistently did OK. And the games where I did OK were all in the MBP.

 

The reasons I only did OK were threefold:

1, as mentioned, the skill curve accelerates beyond my ability to keep up;

2, the quicker tanks on my team (i.e. everyone) charged ahead beyond my ability to keep up;

3, I was constantly caught out of position and had nothing to shoot at most of the time, due to lack of familiarity with the tank and the maps.

 

Reasons why the MBP won't be improved by WG:

1. This tank is badass. Properly handled, and in the right place, the Matilda Black Prince is a match for just about anything it will face, except for very heavily armoured tanks - but it is still capable of killing KV-1, O-I and Churchill mk1 tanks.

2. This tank is hard to kill. Yes, a knowledgeable player can take one down, and light tanks spamming gold can hurt it, but isn't that true of every tank? It certainly lasts longer than the tier 4 Matilda.

3. This tank is British. WG seem to have a massive grudge against British tanks and British players.

 

If they did boost it, this would be nice:

1. Reduce weight to 24.5 tons.

2. Improve terrain resistance - this tank bogs down unacceptably even on wooden bridges - logic??

3. Improve ammo count - even though I didn't see a lot of combat last night, I was down to 17 AP rounds and 7 ACPR. God only knows what would have happened if I was the last survivor.

 

It's British Summer time right now.  I also get hammerd when I play.  Usually on wine.

Edited by Hedgehog1963, 18 July 2017 - 12:51 PM.


Yakito #14 Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18872 battles
  • 1,349
  • Member since:
    05-03-2011
If you'd only ask Id give you a free tankfest code for Matilda.  I might still have one somewhere.

NoPoet406 #15 Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 2440 battles
  • 502
  • [USAW] USAW
  • Member since:
    07-01-2016
I would like that but I'm not sure what it is?

Gvozdika #16 Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 38155 battles
  • 550
  • Member since:
    02-26-2011

I think it's a similar story to the Tog - a tank that is so comically dire that everyone underestimates it.

 

Don't get me wrong, it IS a fundamentally flawed tank that gets the stuffing kicked out of it the moment you encounter any opponents with half a brain cell. Whether most WoT players are so intellectually equipped is another story however; so for some bizarre reason stuff like the MBP and Tog actually work in randoms when played to their strengths. 



GekkoGordon #17 Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4097 battles
  • 275
  • [-VUK-] -VUK-
  • Member since:
    04-17-2012
Really see no reason to play the Matilda BP next to T-34 w/57mm or Ram II unless you're a british tank fan

NoPoet406 #18 Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 2440 battles
  • 502
  • [USAW] USAW
  • Member since:
    07-01-2016

View PostGvozdika, on 18 July 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

I think it's a similar story to the Tog - a tank that is so comically dire that everyone underestimates it.

 

Don't get me wrong, it IS a fundamentally flawed tank that gets the stuffing kicked out of it the moment you encounter any opponents with half a brain cell. Whether most WoT players are so intellectually equipped is another story however; so for some bizarre reason stuff like the MBP and Tog actually work in randoms when played to their strengths. 

 

But isn't that the same of many tanks? My own experience is 95% British tanks, and compared to many players here I seem to be a slow learner at WOT, so maybe I'm wrong; but virtually all the Brit tanks are flawed in some way. They're usually too slow, they usually don't do enough damage, so it can be a struggle to get many kills. They are certainly not all-rounders. But that doesn't make them crap per se, and I have no interest in picking an auto-win tank. The MBP's mobility is certainly "comically dire", you said it perfectly, but the tank has strengths which very few people are picking up, because very few people choose to strive along the British line. It's quicker and more convenient to get a KV-1 or O-I.

 

View PostGekkoGordon, on 18 July 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

Really see no reason to play the Matilda BP next to T-34 w/57mm or Ram II unless you're a british tank fan

 

This is what it comes down to. I am a Brit. I am a die-hard fan of the British tank lines, because why would I want a Chinese tank (for example) with no pedigree or history when I could have a quirky, odd, wonderful machine like a Matilda? How can I train British crews in a foreign tank? (It would be wonderful if Brit, Russian and American crews could train in each other's lend-lease vehicles, but I assume this would be game breaking or make some tech trees redundant.) I'm not saying British tanks were the best of WW2 because they quite clearly weren't - they were the products of flawed, outdated thinking that simply didn't adapt to reality quick enough. But those quirks, that personality, seems almost absent from other tech trees. I'm starting to explore the Russian and German trees to see what I'm missing, but my heart is forever England.

Edited by NoPoet406, 18 July 2017 - 05:40 PM.


GekkoGordon #19 Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4097 battles
  • 275
  • [-VUK-] -VUK-
  • Member since:
    04-17-2012

View PostNoPoet406, on 18 July 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

This is what it comes down to. I am a Brit. I am a die-hard fan of the British tank lines, because why would I want a Chinese tank (for example) with no pedigree or history when I could have a quirky, odd, wonderful machine like a Matilda? How can I train British crews in a foreign tank? (It would be wonderful if Brit, Russian and American crews could train in each other's lend-lease vehicles, but I assume this would be game breaking or make some tech trees redundant.) I'm not saying British tanks were the best of WW2 because they quite clearly weren't - they were the products of flawed, outdated thinking that simply didn't adapt to reality quick enough. But those quirks, that personality, seems almost absent from other tech trees. I'm starting to explore the Russian and German trees to see what I'm missing, but my heart is forever England.

 

Matilda BP is not a bad tank, it used to be good when it came out. It has gotten a lot worse due to powercreep and ever-daily increasing numbers of statpadders in broken tanks. Playing Matilda BP in 2014-15 used to be very fun, as i have one on my alt. Nowadays not so much.



Baldrickk #20 Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 30109 battles
  • 14,280
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

View PostNoPoet406, on 18 July 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

 

But isn't that the same of many tanks? My own experience is 95% British tanks, and compared to many players here I seem to be a slow learner at WOT, so maybe I'm wrong; but virtually all the Brit tanks are flawed in some way. They're usually too slow, they usually don't do enough damage, so it can be a struggle to get many kills. They are certainly not all-rounders. But that doesn't make them crap per se, and I have no interest in picking an auto-win tank. The MBP's mobility is certainly "comically dire", you said it perfectly, but the tank has strengths which very few people are picking up, because very few people choose to strive along the British line. It's quicker and more convenient to get a KV-1 or O-I.

 

 

This is what it comes down to. I am a Brit. I am a die-hard fan of the British tank lines, because why would I want a Chinese tank (for example) with no pedigree or history when I could have a quirky, odd, wonderful machine like a Matilda? How can I train British crews in a foreign tank? (It would be wonderful if Brit, Russian and American crews could train in each other's lend-lease vehicles, but I assume this would be game breaking or make some tech trees redundant.) I'm not saying British tanks were the best of WW2 because they quite clearly weren't - they were the products of flawed, outdated thinking that simply didn't adapt to reality quick enough. But those quirks, that personality, seems almost absent from other tech trees. I'm starting to explore the Russian and German trees to see what I'm missing, but my heart is forever England.

There were less British tanks than groom other nations, a small island can't churn them out like the USA/SR.

Both the US and RU tank development got a good headstart from taking our early experiences and building on them. 

They had just as many mis-steps as us in their development. 

 

  • A British tank holds the record for the fastest advance of WWII
  • A British tank had the best terrain passability of all the tanks, allowing attacks on weak flanks protected by "impassable" terrain. 
  • A British tank was the only tank in service from the beginning to the end of the war
  • A British tank was the first to allow capture of the first intact Tiger
Spoiler

 


Edited by Baldrickk, 18 July 2017 - 07:10 PM.






Also tagged with MBP, Matilda, British, Black Prince

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users