How do I improve?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Toni112007 #1 Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9732 battles

I am currently sitting at 1600 wn8 and my last 1k battles are 2k wn8. I played about 8k battles in total (this is my first account, no reroll or anything like that), and have about 52,6% wr, so what should I do to get even better? Should I watch streams of good players (I find it boring watching someone else :/) or should I stop worrying about stats at this amount of battles and just keep playing? Any tips are welcome. 

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/eu/Toni112007/515433057/

shishx_the_animal #2 Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 30145 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

According to the general pubbie knowledge:

- Play OP tanks only

- Press 2 twice

- Use teammates as meatshields

- Camp redline

- Demand that everyone spots for you

- Platoon only with unicums or you will never win

- Report unfair planes and kemp bush

- Buy Fort Knox to prevent getting rigged MM

And you will become a unicum in less than a month!

Edited by shishx_the_animal, 20 July 2017 - 09:23 AM.

Toni112007 #3 Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9732 battles

View Postshishx_the_animal, on 20 July 2017 - 06:22 AM, said:

- Play OP tank

- Press 2 twice

- Camp redline

- Demand everyone spots for you

I do load skill sometimes with key 2 :D

Nickthedevil #4 Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21987 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
T-67

just play that... totally OP but God, it's fun.

Toni112007 #5 Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9732 battles

View PostNickthedevil, on 20 July 2017 - 06:28 AM, said:

T-67

just play that... totally OP but God, it's fun.

Meh, KV-2 is more fun for me :P

ZlatanArKung #6 Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:33 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
According to Shishx knowledge

Buy a Fort knox  :P

In reality, I don't know. Where are you struggling?
Care to upload a few replays and show how you play?

Spurtung #7 Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:43 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60080 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Postshishx_the_animal, on 20 July 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

- Play OP tanks only

- Press 2 twice

- Camp redline

- Demand that everyone spots for you

- Platoon only with unicums or you will never win

- Report unfair planes and kemp bush

You didn't mention the Fort Knox...

Captain_Kremen0 #8 Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36192 battles

Sorry but those WN8 stats mean nothing to me.

I don't even want to try to understand them, even to see if I'm getting "better".

Because if I FEEL i'm getting better (having good games where I contribute) then that means more than any randomly plucked stats.

Statistics isn't even real maths, proper men did Mechanics A level - now that's Edited Maths!

Edited by Asklepi0s, 01 August 2017 - 09:03 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks

Knight_Zao #9 Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25982 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1

How to improve he asks? (the age old question)

Without seeing a breakdown of your individual tank stats, its hard to assess how to advice you to play better......do you play high tiers, OP tanks, do you mix tank classes in one session? all these matter......

But recents of 2K would indicate, you have more good games than bad games, and then that is a consistency issue, and im afraid this is one of mine....i find it hard to have good games even when i have a bad team, bad map, bad MM, the unicums can somehow make a good game out of bad situation.

Like Shishx says sometimes you have to press the 2 key, sometimes you have to redline snipe, and sometimes you DO HAVE to let the team mates be shields, it sucks but its true.

I would say the number 1 way to improve is to get better at map awareness, its the one area of the game that can instantly make you a "better" player, seeing if a flank is going to fall and needing to get out of there asap to survive is important, knowing if when you are in a frontal engagement with heavies that meds are looking to flank you, so you can try and push forward and win the heavies if possible. try and watch some map awareness videos on Youtube, it can help.

Hope this helps in someway, and when you watch streamers and youtube videos, try and watch people who are explaining what they are doing, and why....some of them just play and talk crap....there is no point watching a good player just playing, you want to learn whats going through their minds and the reasons behind the movements.

malachi6 #10 Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 48594 battles

WN8 is not actually a good metric of overall skill.  It is basically a measure of how much damage you do per game.  Damage is good but if it is in the wrong place or done when the game is lost then it is moot.  I know this is going to annoy a lot of the stats focused players.  However, you should be playing to enjoy yourself and yes, to win.  Don't go chasing some fake stats that are easily manipulated.  

As long as your graphs are trending up, leave it at that.

Edit.  Obviously, you could find a youtuber / streamer you enjoy and follow them.

Edited by malachi6, 20 July 2017 - 08:54 AM.

ricoBenitez1 #11 Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 506 battles

or have a read in tankers hand book made by SGTA 

here is a link to where you can find it.

http://forum.worldof...nkers-handbook/

Edited by ricoBenitez1, 20 July 2017 - 09:06 AM.

Knight_Zao #12 Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25982 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1

Why are people going on about "Fun" the OP said nothing about having fun? 

He asked how to improve, which when it comes to WoT is basically WN8 until some other statistic comes along.

The OP might play this game for competition and nothing to do with fun, i dont play the game for fun, i play to win and put my best into every game (although stats say otherwise :p ) dont get me wrong every now and then when im getting trolled by WG with RNG i take out the KV2 or M4 derp and have a laugh, but im still trying to win and be competitive.

If i want fun, i'll go and play warhammer 40k with my nephew, or take my daughters out to the park and watch them playing, or maybe have an early night with the wife (wink wink). But as for WoT its all competitive.

Not sure if im the only one who thinks like this, maybe i am. But OP i would say if you want to improve, forget fun and play competitively, but if its purely fun you want, then forget about stats and winrate etc play fun tanks.

Tyrgrim #13 Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8497 battles
Play Japanese heavies, and you will improve. Not playstyle, just rateing.

EnglishBob_ #14 Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 461 battles
Tune into Zeven_NA twitch  streams .....  :honoring:

iztok #15 Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 35163 battles

View PostKnight_Zao, on 20 July 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

... or maybe have an early night with the wife (wink wink)...

Been there, TRIED done that. But two kids said "Impossible". ;)

Edited by iztok, 20 July 2017 - 10:24 AM.

Pvt_Duffer #16 Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16404 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postshishx_the_animal, on 20 July 2017 - 06:22 AM, said:

- Buy Fort Knox to prevent getting rigged MM

@OP shishx is being unduly modest here, what is not being expressed, is you buy the Fort Knox *for him*,

This will lock in +25% RNG, and provides access to a bevy of south korean internet servants to statpad the account for you.

As far as I recall there is a WN8 cap though, so multiple purchases may be required.

Steffin #17 Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23082 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF

Try to learn from your mistakes.  The best way to do that is to pick your favourite tank, and only play that tank.  That will allow you to learn the weakspots of the tank, and what tanks you can pen where.  This is much easier to learn when you dont switch tanks every game.  After that you can try different strategies with that tank, as in, which position to take at the start and what you would do when there is nothing to do there.  Ask yourself questions like: how does the team lineup affect where they are going?  How does the team 'strategy' affect my plans?  If your plan didnt work, is that because the plan is a bad plan, or did the enemy team had unusal positions?  It also helps to watch the game after you have died.  Did your last efforts help the team win? You might have died, but that doesnt always mean you did the wrong thing.  Did you hold up the enemy team for you allies to win the other flank? Did you take out the biggest threat?  Did your move make your allies have the confidence to push a flank?

By doing this all in the same tank, you take out a lot of variables, like gun depression, penetration, speed, acceleration, camo, weakspot locations, alpha damage, clip damage, dps.  And, as a bonus, it gives you time to cool down after a terrible game.

Jigabachi #18 Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17746 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
shishx didn't mention the FK pack first... I sense a conspiracy. D:

@ topic:
As long as you understand the basics of the game and as long as you can carry your own weight, everything is fine. If you want to improve further, go for it. But only if you find playing numbers more fun than playing tanks.

Enforcer1975 #19 Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

General

• Player
  • 18361 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
If your recent stats are way higher than your current stats then you are already improving unlike some tomatoes who think thy are improving by having even worse recent stats...

malachi6 #20 Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 48594 battles

View PostKnight_Zao, on 20 July 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

Why are people going on about "Fun" the OP said nothing about having fun? 

He asked how to improve, which when it comes to WoT is basically WN8 until some other statistic comes along.

The OP might play this game for competition and nothing to do with fun, i dont play the game for fun, i play to win and put my best into every game (although stats say otherwise :p ) dont get me wrong every now and then when im getting trolled by WG with RNG i take out the KV2 or M4 derp and have a laugh, but im still trying to win and be competitive.

If i want fun, i'll go and play warhammer 40k with my nephew, or take my daughters out to the park and watch them playing, or maybe have an early night with the wife (wink wink). But as for WoT its all competitive.

Not sure if im the only one who thinks like this, maybe i am. But OP i would say if you want to improve, forget fun and play competitively, but if its purely fun you want, then forget about stats and winrate etc play fun tanks.

Can I ask, why don't you find a game you can play to win and enjoy it?  To my mind life is the pursuit of passion.  Passion should encompass all emotions especially that of pleasure.  Sure take the game seriously but if you are not enjoying yourself.  Ultimately you are wasting time when you could be doing something to make you smile.  

To quote one of your earlier posts:

"Why on earth would you play a tank you dont like, this is a game that you should be playing to enjoy, the only exception to this is if you are grinding to a tank you want??"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users