Fix stuttering and gain more stable fps....

Fix stuttering stable fps

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Shooter8995 #1 Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24983 battles
Guys I found this fix and when I applied it my fps wasn't all around so here you go try and tell me in comments if works https://youtu.be/kpeqtEby9_4

Enforcer1975 #2 Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

General

• Player
  • 18462 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I don't really have problems with stuttering and stuff despite having parked cpus. What are your specs?

Balc0ra #3 Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62839 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I run Windows 10... have had the creators update for awhile. No issues on any games tbh. That and I have "game mode off" that they bragged about. As it does little to nothing for WOT. And can cause issues for other games. As that mode was made and tested on games like Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War that Windows has in their store, that does run better with it activated for my system. But for me it made WOT and other games go slower for some odd reason. So check if that is on by default to.

CmdRatScabies #4 Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles
I've been getting FPS drops in the evenings this week.  I usually get 110/120 FPS but it's been dropping as low as 40 when EU1 gets to 60k online.  I'd put it down to the servers getting overloaded, thinking they scale them down in the summer & get caught out when they get busy.

Aikl #5 Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

What I've actually found useful is limiting FPS to 30 in the garage and (optionally) 60 in battle. Limits the heat quite a bit, which can be useful if your system it throttling... or if you can't be arsed to shut down the client. 

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 22 July 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

I've been getting FPS drops in the evenings this week.  I usually get 110/120 FPS but it's been dropping as low as 40 when EU1 gets to 60k online.  I'd put it down to the servers getting overloaded, thinking they scale them down in the summer & get caught out when they get busy.

The servers usually go 'redline' with about 110k players on - hence why they are limited to about that number.

Your computer drawing the image should have nothing at all to do with how well the server performs. The game doesn't wait for communication from the server to draw frames - unlike when a single-player game is waiting on e.g. the disk to finish reading a file.

More likely you're looking at thermal throttling because your room is hotter than normal and/or your computer is filled with dust. If your CPU fan is shot, the system might refuse to even start, but the same is not true for GPU fans. That's assuming you've checked that you aren't running anything in the background that causes issues. Tanks.gg for instance taxes the system rather heavily when open.

Edited by Aikl, 22 July 2017 - 02:14 PM.

AliceUnchained #6 Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

General

• Player
  • 37820 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 22 July 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

Because obviously server performance has anything to do with the GPU performance on your system rendering for your client instance... Seriously, where you do lot get this nonsense from?

View PostShooter8995, on 22 July 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Guys I found this fix and when I applied it my fps wasn't all around so here you go try and tell me in comments if works https://youtu.be/kpeqtEby9_4

People really need to stop blindly and and without clue spreading random 'fixes' around of which they have zero understanding on what they actually do, what impact it can have, and what possible consequences there might be. 

@Moderators: Junk this please.

CmdRatScabies #7 Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles

View PostAikl, on 22 July 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

What I've actually found useful is limiting FPS to 30 in the garage and (optionally) 60 in battle. Limits the heat quite a bit, which can be useful if your system it throttling... or if you can't be arsed to shut down the client.

The servers usually go 'redline' with about 110k players on - hence why they are limited to about that number.

Your computer drawing the image should have nothing at all to do with how well the server performs. The game doesn't wait for communication from the server to draw frames - unlike when a single-player game is waiting on e.g. the disk to finish reading a file.

More likely you're looking at thermal throttling because your room is hotter than normal and/or your computer is filled with dust. If your CPU fan is shot, the system might refuse to even start, but the same is not true for GPU fans. That's assuming you've checked that you aren't running anything in the background that causes issues. Tanks.gg for instance taxes the system rather heavily when open.

Well I'm running a quick version of the 1080Ti so I doubt it's the graphics card trottling + it's back to 144Mhz when I tab out.  Card's and CPU are just idling as far as I can see.

CmdRatScabies #8 Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles

View PostAliceUnchained, on 22 July 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

Because obviously server performance has anything to do with the GPU performance on your system rendering for your client instance... Seriously, where you do lot get this nonsense from?

People really need to stop blindly and and without clue spreading random 'fixes' around of which they have zero understanding on what they actually do, what impact it can have, and what possible consequences there might be.

Well okay I don't pretend to be a hardware expert. So why would it drop when the servers get busy?  Bear in mind it's a 1080Ti and it's idling.

AliceUnchained #9 Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

General

• Player
  • 37820 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 22 July 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

Well okay I don't pretend to be a hardware expert. So why would it drop when the servers get busy?  Bear in mind it's a 1080Ti and it's idling.

60K on a single EU isn't busy, and I strongly doubt there's ANY correlation. Your GPU clearly is throttling. Which brand and model do you have, and which power setting do you have set in Nvidia Control Panel (both Default and WoT specific if you have the profile)? Oh, and what exactly is a quick version of a 1080 Ti?

Shooter8995 #10 Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24983 battles

View PostAliceUnchained, on 22 July 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

I don't know what you talking that people don't understand what they doing.... But from my perspective unparking cores means that cpu will focus more on actual game then on background software.... so that will give you stable fps,not boost fps...

Edited by Shooter8995, 22 July 2017 - 03:55 PM.

CmdRatScabies #11 Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles

View PostAliceUnchained, on 22 July 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

60K on a single EU isn't busy, and I strongly doubt there's ANY correlation. Your GPU clearly is throttling. Which brand and model do you have, and which power setting do you have set in Nvidia Control Panel (both Default and WoT specific if you have the profile)? Oh, and what exactly is a quick version of a 1080 Ti?

It's a Gigabyte Aorus GeForce  GTX 1080 Ti & boost is currently set to 1721 MHz - it can go higher.

Would it throttle without giving any indication?  CPU temp is 40c & chassis fans are idling.  All seems very cool to me & not aware that WoT puts any particular loads on the system.

I don't see power settings in the NVIDIA control panel.  Where are they?

Shooter8995 #12 Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24983 battles

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 22 July 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

It's a Gigabyte Aorus GeForce  GTX 1080 Ti & boost is currently set to 1721 MHz - it can go higher.

Would it throttle without giving any indication?  CPU temp is 40c & chassis fans are idling.  All seems very cool to me & not aware that WoT puts any particular loads on the system.

Wot in this stage is more cpu demanding game then gpu....Maybe in future they will push gpu more but who knows

AliceUnchained #13 Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

General

• Player
  • 37820 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 22 July 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

Throttling is usually associated with temperatures, but an unstable OC clock for example can also lead to the GPU being reset to default clock. Furthermore, adaptive power settings can also result in throttling as can faulty drivers. And Nvidia hasn't exactly delivered a very stable range of drivers these past few years. Which version do you have installed currently, and did you completely wipe the previous version before installing?

As for the power setting I'm talking about: Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Power management mode. You'll have Adaptive, Optimal Power, and Prefer maximum performance. If not set to maximum, give that a try.

View PostShooter8995, on 22 July 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

I don't know what you talking that people don't understand what they doing.... But from my perspective unparking cores means that cpu will focus more on actual game then on background software.... so that will give you stable fps,not boost fps...

Thus proving my point, as you clearly have no idea what it means, or what it does. I also never talking about FPS boost anywhere, but I suppose reading is a challenge for you?

Edited by AliceUnchained, 22 July 2017 - 04:07 PM.

CmdRatScabies #14 Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles

View PostAliceUnchained, on 22 July 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Throttling is usually associated with temperatures, but an unstable OC clock for example can also lead to the GPU being reset to default clock. Furthermore, adaptive power settings can also result in throttling as can faulty drivers. And Nvidia hasn't exactly delivered a very stable range of drivers these past few years. Which version do you have installed currently, and did you completely wipe the previous version before installing?

As for the power setting I'm talking about: Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Power management mode. You'll have Adaptive, Optimal Power, and Prefer maximum performance. If not set to maximum, give that a try.

Just the std factory overclock I haven't oc's further.  Power's set to optimal, I'll give max a try.  Version 8.1.950.0 I think I just let the install do it's thing rather than uninstalling first.

How can I tell if it's throttling?  The Gigabyte utility doesn't seem to give info on what the card's doing.  Edit - id does have a monitor panel if I leave it running in background - I'll leave it open & se if it tells me anything.

Edited by CmdRatScabies, 22 July 2017 - 04:22 PM.

Shooter8995 #15 Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24983 battles

View PostAliceUnchained, on 22 July 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Thus proving my point, as you clearly have no idea what it means, or what it does. I also never talking about FPS boost anywhere, but I suppose reading is a challenge for you?

So...If you prove your point....then please explain what it actually do???

AliceUnchained #16 Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

General

• Player
  • 37820 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 22 July 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

Just the std factory overclock I haven't oc's further.  Power's set to optimal, I'll give max a try.  Version 8.1.950.0 I think I just let the install do it's thing rather than uninstalling first.

How can I tell if it's throttling?  The Gigabyte utility doesn't seem to give info on what the card's doing.  Edit - id does have a monitor panel if I leave it running in background - I'll leave it open & se if it tells me anything.

In my experience the Optimal Power setting is unreliable, I go with Adaptive for anything where change in framerate ins't an issue, and Prefer maximum performance for anything where is it. I can't say anything about Gigabyte software as I've never used it, but it should have monitoring software with graphs showing utilization, temperatures, clock speed, etc.

View PostShooter8995, on 22 July 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

So...If you prove your point....then please explain what it actually do???

It's a Windows power savings feature, which parks unused cores (puts them to sleep) to save power, reduce heat generation, etc. If you really want to tinker with it, then I would strongly recommend doing this instead:

WARNING: This is from my own Windows 7 Ultimate registry. As far as I know it's the same in all Win7 OS but I can't be sure. I also have no idea what the correct path is for other Win OS versions. In any case, the below mentioned Attributes setting should be the one concerning @%SystemRoot%\system32\powrprof.dll,-766,Specify the minimum number of unparked cores/packages allowed (in percentage). Do so at your own risk. If you've never messed around with regedit, then stay away from it.

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583: Change the 'Attributes' DWORD setting to '0' (would be '1' by default).

You should then have 'Processor performance core parking min cores' option available in Control Panel > Power Options > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management. 

Note that plenty of people will not notice any observable improvement with this 'fix' or 'tweak' or whatever you want to call it. Furthermore, while my ValueMax value is still at '64' for example none of the cores are parked, or will be parked, while playing. As mentioned, it's a Windows (software level) power savings feature. 

Edit: Dug into this some more and quite likely this will only improve performance on i7's with HT. It would seem Win OS parking is done on the thread (if anyone know's better, feel free to correct me on this). There's plenty of contradicting claims on BIOS powerstates vs parking as well: Some claim disabling C6 will also disable parking, while others claim Win parking can be done regardless of C6 state setting.

Anyway, I don't have an i7 but a 'mere' i5 2500K and with C6 state disabled I don't have any cores parked even with the registry setting to '64' or 100% of cores allowed to be parked. And all I'm doing now is using internet browser, and several cores are not utilized. Thus should be parked normally, which is not happening.

Furthermore, the general consensus seems to be that you cannot disable core parking at all and registry editing is the only way. Which is false, as it can be through powercfg command line:

Powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor CPMINCORES 100
Powercfg -setactive scheme_current

Edited by AliceUnchained, 23 July 2017 - 03:32 PM.

Enforcer1975 #17 Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

General

• Player
  • 18462 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostShooter8995, on 22 July 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Most people can't utilize whatever tip is given to them anyway. They don't have the pc power because they are playing on a cheap/office rig and don't realize they can't increase performance anymore because potato which is why they are looking for any solution. 

Janduin #18 Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11211 battles
  • [PTO] PTO

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 22 July 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

Well I'm running a quick version of the 1080Ti so I doubt it's the graphics card trottling + it's back to 144Mhz when I tab out.  Card's and CPU are just idling as far as I can see.

Are you by any chance running a g-sync monitor?

CmdRatScabies #19 Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles

View PostJanduin, on 22 July 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

I am.  An ASUS 2560 x 1440 144MHz

AliceUnchained #20 Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

General

• Player
  • 37820 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostJanduin, on 22 July 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 22 July 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

I am.  An ASUS 2560 x 1440 144MHz

Hmm. I have noticed several others complaining about stuttering and FPS drops to be using G-Sync monitors...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users