XVM, how do you like yours?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: XVM (56 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

How would you like XVM in battle stats to be applied?

1. Not at all. (36 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. Fog of war. (9 votes [16.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.07%

3. As is. (11 votes [19.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.64%

Vote Hide poll

Blubba #1 Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51591 battles

Having read another thread based on this, I was wondering how the forum readers would prefer XVM to be applied.

'Fog of War' means that the enemy teams make up, tanks and players, is not broadcast at the start and is only revealed as and when they are spotted.

My first poll. I have no idea if this works so here goes....

Jigabachi #2 Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17753 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I would prefer if the ingame features would get banned. But sadly, that won't happen. Like so many obvious changes that would improve the game.

btw: We already had this kind of thread a few times already. And with a few I mean like 4783 times. 

Edited by Jigabachi, 22 July 2017 - 01:04 PM.

Long_Range_Sniper #3 Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29462 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostJigabachi, on 22 July 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

btw: We already had this kind of thread a few times already. And with a few I mean like 4783 times. 

The search function returned four hits for "XVM + Poll" since 2014, and whilst there are plenty complaining about XVM I've never read many that developed the fog of war theme. 

Suurpolskija #4 Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16653 battles
  • [URHO] URHO
With salt & tears.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if only thing visible about enemy teams was tank names.

While enemy skill might be of some importance, it's also a source of frustration to many players.

Still, it's not in Wargaming's hands to decide it. As long as external stat pages exist, there will be mods like this.

Edited by Suurpolskija, 22 July 2017 - 01:18 PM.

Blubba #5 Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51591 battles

View PostSuurpolskija, on 22 July 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

With salt & tears.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if only thing visible about enemy teams was tank names.

While enemy skill might be of some importance, it's also a source of frustration to many players.

Still, it's not in Wargaming's hands to decide it. As long as external stat pages exist, there will be mods like this.

Isn't it in WG's hands?

I thought that if the information regarding your opponents was hidden until 'revealed' at the start (or spotted in the case of Fog of War), then XVM wouldn't be able to bring up their statistics until the spotting had taken place?

Clearly I have no concept of how XVM works. Back to the drawing the board for me and to Jigabachi, I can only apologise.

HeidenSieker #6 Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostBlubba, on 22 July 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

Having read another thread based on this, I was wondering how the forum readers would prefer XVM to be applied.

'Fog of War' means that the enemy teams make up, tanks and players, is not broadcast at the start and is only revealed as and when they are spotted.

My first poll. I have no idea if this works so here goes....

It would be nice to have the option "Displayed for the Green team only".

Failing that, I thing that having no in-game stats would be better, so I've voted for that.

Edited by HeidenSieker, 22 July 2017 - 06:03 PM.

Enforcer1975 #7 Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

General

• Player
  • 18462 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBlubba, on 22 July 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

Isn't it in WG's hands?

I thought that if the information regarding your opponents was hidden until 'revealed' at the start (or spotted in the case of Fog of War), then XVM wouldn't be able to bring up their statistics until the spotting had taken place?

Clearly I have no concept of how XVM works. Back to the drawing the board for me and to Jigabachi, I can only apologise.

The guys providing team xvm service could easily block stats since they are the ones broadcasting it in the the first place. 

1ncompetenc3 #8 Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36772 battles
I don't use XVM myself but given how many muppets take its stats and win chance as gospel and fail accordingly I'd like to see that crap gone.

WindSplitter1 #9 Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14306 battles
  • [RYNO] RYNO

View PostJigabachi, on 22 July 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

I would prefer if the ingame features would get banned. But sadly, that won't happen. Like so many obvious changes that would improve the game.

For some brilliant reason that escapes all other users but you, you also post the exact same thing in those threads.

Maybe you could set the example you want others to follow.

Achibot #10 Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:16 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17959 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

View PostSuurpolskija, on 22 July 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

With salt & tears.

View PostBlubba, on 22 July 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Isn't it in WG's hands?

Access to player stats is provided to external sites by Wargaming through an API which allows these 3rd party websites (incl. XVM) to query the WoT Stats Database. In the past Wargaming did actually restrict access to this database (for bandwidth reasons) which is why external stats are now only updated periodically. They also enforced the "2 week activation window" currently in use by XVM. So you see, this data is entirely controlled by Wargaming and all access to it is at their discretion and by their rules only.

Not really sure why you think it could be otherwise. How else could people get this data if Wargaming didn't give it to them?

Jigabachi #11 Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17753 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBlubba, on 22 July 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

and to Jigabachi, I can only apologise.

No need to. This topic does at least change a bit with time, as more people finally realize that XVM isn't good for the game.

Edited by Jigabachi, 22 July 2017 - 11:42 PM.

Aikl #12 Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostEnforcer1975, on 22 July 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

The guys providing team xvm service could easily block stats since they are the ones broadcasting it in the the first place. 

While they provide the stats to the players, they are really just the bridge between the player and the Wargaming API. If you really wanted to, I would guess that you could make a mod that pulled data either straight from the API or via e.g. Noobmeter.

One of the things I miss about XVM was that it was a bit of a hassle to install. Not difficult, but it required some additional components (Python runtime or whatever) to actually work.

jabster #13 Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostBlubba, on 22 July 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Isn't it in WG's hands?

You're correct, if the client isn't given access to a player's unique id then there's no way to display in-game stats. 

Ojciec_Director #14 Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 29722 battles
I like all the mods that help you change UI, etc, hate this crap ingame stats

Edited by Ojciec_Director, 23 July 2017 - 06:24 AM.

Enforcer1975 #15 Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

General

• Player
  • 18462 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostAikl, on 23 July 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

While they provide the stats to the players, they are really just the bridge between the player and the Wargaming API. If you really wanted to, I would guess that you could make a mod that pulled data either straight from the API or via e.g. Noobmeter.

One of the things I miss about XVM was that it was a bit of a hassle to install. Not difficult, but it required some additional components (Python runtime or whatever) to actually work.

Well that's true. WG has to ultimately block info from leaking through if they want to make xvm useless but they could also give them a chance to give xvm users the option to block their stats from being passed along to others in game as long as they are the only party to provide that via in game ui. Tbh even if they are not so important data those sites are already pulling data even i have to dig deeper if i want to know and make them public. 

Blubba #16 Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51591 battles

View PostAchibot, on 22 July 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

Access to player stats is provided to external sites by Wargaming through an API which allows these 3rd party websites (incl. XVM) to query the WoT Stats Database. In the past Wargaming did actually restrict access to this database (for bandwidth reasons) which is why external stats are now only updated periodically. They also enforced the "2 week activation window" currently in use by XVM. So you see, this data is entirely controlled by Wargaming and all access to it is at their discretion and by their rules only.

Not really sure why you think it could be otherwise. How else could people get this data if Wargaming didn't give it to them?

Well this is what I thought but I also imagined that the in battle XVM feature regarding your opponents teams abilities would be an unable to function if you didn't know who they were, right up until the point that they were spotted..

So my next question to you would be: Are you saying that XVM has some ability to see your enemies team even if you cannot?

If it doesn't, then I am suggesting that a fog of war dimension would probably improve the game whilst maintaining a lot of the benefits of XVM that many users have identified in other threads. Things like your teams abilities, forumites mod, user interface etc.

RamRaid90 #17 Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:54 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 19702 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I like my XVM banned.

THE_JACK_OF_HEARTS #18 Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9008 battles
  • [CMC3] CMC3
And I would have thought that by now, it would be up to the individual user whether his/her stats are published in battle...

Sir_Bad #19 Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44037 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN

XVM in battle should be banned. Only the tanks should be displayed, no names and no clantags. Also I'd like to add, that a full fog of war would just cause even more chaos in randoms imo.

Why is that?

The typical random player is not very good at reacting to unknown situations. Thats why most of them just repeat tactics, which worked for them once, or which they saw others succeed with. It can also be seen, that most of them struggle very much at the end of a battle, when there are multiple unspotted enemies and they can't apply their standard tactics. Thats why they end up camping and waiting for the enemy to make the first mistake. Now imagine this scenario at the start of every random battle. Thank you, but no thank you. It would be the death of any kind of aggressive play in random battles.

Cobra6 #20 Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16295 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

XVM stats need to be hidden within matches themselves, it's fine to have them in the menu's but in matches themselves get rid of them completely.

Cobra 6

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users