• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Uebergewicht #1 Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

Hello,

I know it´s a bit patting my own shoulder, but today I achieved a big personal milestone and managed to get three Marks of Excellence for the very first time - on my beloved old derpy cube with tracks, the Pz. 4H, and I am totally thrileld about it :)

Spoiler

Just a few weeks ago I woulnd´t have thought to even get close to three marks, and certainly didn´t really know about the Pz. 4H. It started when I decided to grind the Maus, and the 4H was just part of the tech line. I played it with a basic crew, thought "gunner won´t hit anyways, might as well use the derp gun" and played away. After breezing through the grind I was almost sad to move the crew over to the VK 30, and while the VK is also a pretty great machine, I eventually moved the crew back because I missed the 4H so much. My crew got better, working on the first perk, and I was surprised how quickly I got two MoEs on this machine. I realized I might be onto something and started putting in a few grindign sessions to see how far I could push it. Quite frankly, that didnt really work out, as the more I wanted to force it, the worse my scores would get in the long run. Eventually I decided to only play the Pz. 4H once or twice a day, shooting to get one good game and then move on. And just in time for the 4x XP event, it eventually paid off (took me long enough).

So, the 4H. I dont really know what it is with this machine. The tank is big and boxy and totally soft, camo isnt great, view-range is so-so and the gun is naturally derpy. I run this tank with Rammer, GLD and Binos, and a crew that is working on the second perk, except for the commander, who I switched out for a Lady to get sixth sense earlier as soon as BiA and SoS were united.

The tank requires a strange playstyle, which can be extraoridnarily cautious at times, but also really agressive at others. Naturally the gun takes ages to aim, cannot really snapshot, but is also not great for brawling due to low dpm and the softness of the Pz. 4 in general. And forget about shooting moving targets, if you cannot aim directly at the tank the shell will fly right over their heads even if you gave perfect lead.

Thus, the tank is best to hit slow moving or stationary targets. The good thing is the gun doesnt really care what it hits, will always deal damage and has a fair chance to take off tracks for some sweet assist damage on top. It´s especiall brutal agasint those soft tier 5s and 4s which you can knock out cold with one hit.

Still, the mixture of long aim time on a tank that doesnt really want to stay exposed isnt ideal, so the grind really made me put on my man pants and give it everything I got. Positioning is extremely crucial to get good shots off, working the view range with binos whenever possible. For some reasons I tend to do better on open maps with this tank, especially assault, which doesnt seem like the natural environment for a derp gun. But blasting tanks for long range works surprisingly well as long as they are decently exposed; due to acceptable rate of fire a miss doesnt feel quite as painful.

Of course I also packed some gold, but spamming it wouldnt get me anywhere as its really situational and quite risky - miss or bounce a crucial shot and your enemy has the better part of 7 seconds to shoot you back, which is quite a lot with the low HP of the Panzer vs. the high dpm of many low tiers. But it can be absolutely devastating to slam 350 alpha shells in the sides or backs of tanks that maybe didnt even realize you were there until then. It´s also the only chance to shoot your way out of a bad situation, basically hoping you can oneshot whats coming you way before hightailing out of there...

So, yeah. It was a long journey. I learned a lot about the game, honed my skills, managed to get consistency on previously unknown levels (out of a derp gun!) and am super satisfied right now :) I still dont really know why I like the 4H so much and why it clicked with me, but I certainly will keep playing this boxy devil. Thanks for your attention and feel free to tell more about your journey to your first Three Marks!

Edited by Uebergewicht, 22 July 2017 - 06:21 PM.

Sfinski #2 Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30958 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Congratz! Welcome to the club! It's more like addiction than club though. Main source of frustration if you may, after arty.

Uebergewicht #3 Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD
I know... I was royaly pissed off a few times when I felt I was close but matches didnt go my way... like the one time the enemies capped out an encounter base before I could even get there. Zero damage game for me, highest damage done by any player was 137 ~~

Pandabird #4 Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

I've never had the patience to continuously play the same tank over and over (which is kinda the requirement) but i made it with one tank by "grinding" (or more like having too much fun)

Say hello to vodka vodka t-34, an absolute beast of a tank. I wanted to elite it like i do with any other tank i grind, and the Ace popped up the very first game.
Then the second
And third.
The tank simply felt like an extension of my hand, following my every move, doing exactly what i told it to do; destroy everything with the pewpew of justice!
It had exactly my comfort level of armor, never feeling unfair to play, neither ever useless.

Boom, t-34-85 unlocked. Didn't even notice. Bam, A-43 unlocked too.
At this point i was getting worried, so little left to grind, soon time to say goodbye. A well deserved triple star formation decorates its barrel as i clicked the sell button with a heavy sigh. It was such a fun tank to play and i still miss it so, and still remember the *true* kolobanov battle i had the honor of experiencing.

Edit: oh and congratz on yours! I remember the derpmobile, was fun tank to play :)

Edited by Pandabird, 22 July 2017 - 06:57 PM.

qpranger #5 Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31524 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
One mark is enough.

Uebergewicht #6 Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

View PostPandabird, on 22 July 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

I've never had the patience to continuously play the same tank over and over (which is kinda the requirement) but i made it with one tank by "grinding" (or more like having too much fun)

Say hello to vodka vodka t-34, an absolute beast of a tank. I wanted to elite it like i do with any other tank i grind, and the Ace popped up the very first game.
Then the second
And third.
The tank simply felt like an extension of my hand, following my every move, doing exactly what i told it to do; destroy everything with the pewpew of justice!
It had exactly my comfort level of armor, never feeling unfair to play, neither ever useless.

Boom, t-34-85 unlocked. Didn't even notice. Bam, A-43 unlocked too.
At this point i was getting worried, so little left to grind, soon time to say goodbye. A well deserved triple star formation decorates its barrel as i clicked the sell button with a heavy sigh. It was such a fun tank to play and i still miss it so, and still remember the *true* kolobanov battle i had the honor of experiencing.

Edit: oh and congratz on yours! I remember the derpmobile, was fun tank to play :)

Yeah, the T-34 is a fine machine as well. I really enjoyed playing it and still have excellent stats, but did not play it long enough to really get MoEs going.

I did grind out the Type T-34, but for some reason, while it is basically the same tank, I did considerably worse in it... still good, but certainly not as good as with the regular T-34, which bummed me out a little.

call_me_ShockZz #7 Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16920 battles
  • [WEBAN] WEBAN

congrats! but that gun mark game can also be frustrating as hell.. went up to 94.65% on my KV-2, had no time to play for 2-3 days and got into it again just today.. dropped more than 2% cause someone else started to play it better

but I also have to say it can be the most amazing thing in the game to see those 3 marks in the battle results, so much fun for me that I went ahead and 3 marked 27 tanks so far and actually dont care about my WN8 that much anymore so it's probably going to drop below that pink unicorn color on the recent tab but who cares? Im getting them marks, about 20-30 more on 2 going to get that 3rd one when I have more time again

I hope you will get all the ones you want to get gl & hf doing it

Spoiler

Edited by call_me_ShockZz, 23 July 2017 - 12:44 AM.

Shizuthink #8 Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34455 battles
  • [ZEON] ZEON
Congrats

Element6_TheSprout #9 Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:26 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29043 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Good job. Personally I'll likely never even get into the 2nd. mark club :teethhappy:

Dr_ownape #10 Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 41924 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
GG fella.... but I'm worried about the binos

TankkiPoju #11 Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20014 battles

View PostSfinski, on 22 July 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Congratz! Welcome to the club! It's more like addiction than club though. Main source of frustration if you may, after arty.

Tbh it's the 90-95% final stretch that's really only frustrating. 1-2 marks are pretty smooth sailing in most tanks, if you just play them.

RamRaid90 #12 Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20586 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Congratulations on your first three marks. Unfortunately, as i've found it gets addictive. My first was the KV-1S using full DERP gun. My next is going to be the T-34-85, which is frustrating to say the least.

And don't worry about patting yourself on the shoulder for a job well done, this forum needs a little more positivety.

CaptainThunderWalker #13 Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18937 battles

Indeed! All the whining is getting old. If you are whining so much, then act like it and get the hell out and stop playing. Sure the game isn't perfect - far from it - but all games have their problems.

I just joined the club too, but in the Crusader.

But unlike you, I didn't have to put in any effort. I played it a lot before it was reclassified as a Medium, but only played a few battles afterwards. Then it gathered dust. Today I decided to take it out for another spin, hoping I'd do better than I did in the last few games in the tank, and yeah, I did. But the fact that 650 damage dealt and 650 spotting was enough to go from 92,5% to 95,5% is pretty damn telling.

The statpadders all have abandoned the tank since that nerf.

:D

Sfinski #14 Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30958 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostTankkiPoju, on 23 July 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Tbh it's the 90-95% final stretch that's really only frustrating. 1-2 marks are pretty smooth sailing in most tanks, if you just play them.

Tell that to my cursed t10 tanks like 430. Can't even achieve 2nd mark as my games are either great or complete failures... Same with 50b, 50m, etc. 

Spurtung #15 Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 61592 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostSfinski, on 22 July 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

Quick, start crying for them to remove MoE off the game.

Uebergewicht #16 Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

View PostDrownape, on 23 July 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

GG fella.... but I'm worried about the binos

Why, exactly? Great view range is quite an asset in lower in mid tears where many tanks are not played at their maxium, crew- and equipment wise. It´s handy to get valuable assistance damage, and the 4H has to stand still and aim quite often anyway. Binos were also recommended by Aging Jedi, so they felt quite natural to me.

If I was to try other means of maxing my view range, I´d probably have to run food. I tried it for a few games, immidietly got an early engine fire, burnt to death with zero damage. So I´m hard-pressed to drop extinguishers for food. And even with vents, optics, BiA and all the vision skills I´d still be at 432m only instead of the ~445 with activated binos which I actually had (I did not have BiA and all the view range skills).

BigFellas_Dad #17 Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41129 battles
congratz mate :)

Toni112007 #18 Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9769 battles
I don't have any 3 mark yet. Tho i am on 88% on my IS-3. I think I am gonna mess it up :/

Uebergewicht #19 Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD
IS-3 seems like a hard point to start from. Tank has lots of potential and is quite popular, plus tier 8 machtmaking isnt the kindest atm.

Toni112007 #20 Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9769 battles
I don't really like playing low tiers... There are few exceptions tho, like KV-2.

Edited by Toni112007, 24 July 2017 - 11:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users