Newbies in WoT

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Dark_Cloud #1 Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15003 battles
  • [SPL1] SPL1

Once upon a time there was a fairy tale that said World of Tanks didn't allow players of certain battle counts to hop into the "big boy boots". Did this ever happen?

Because it should. Fresh from the garage after I had a top tier game with a Dicker Max on Karelia.

No replays because I for the life of me can't get WoT replays to actually upload the replays properly, please fix.

I took a rather controversial position in the northwestern part of the map, but I saw it fit as I had a couple of teammates for cannon fodder, and I can dispatch most anything with one or two shells anyway.

One guy rushed ahead, he got surprised by an ELC and a StuG.

Another tank on my fight got in a bit of a bummer with an over enthusiastic Leopard, so I helped him first. Mistake.

Now I turn left lining up a good one up the frenchie, now that they're one-shot-fun to DMs (WG pls revert nerf the ELC didn't deserve it) but I get cucked by the Pz. IV D that I just saved, by ramming me in the rear.

I retreat by the rock after the enemy teams in the center area caught my scent, and the Pz is hungry for more. So he drives in front of me, fails to brawl a Ke-Ho (the StuG and ELC buggered off by now, this guy was pushing his chances). Now it's me and the Ke-Ho, soon to be many more, so I'm in a bit of a pinch.

My shot hits either the tank wreck, because the 3D model isn't equal with the visual model, or the ground, because the 3D model isn't equal with the visual model. (for [edited]sake Wg how many years will this one take)

The Ke-Ho takes advantage of my low HP and huge reload, and the story of our hero ends abruptly.

I should not have gone as far, but I could have effortlessly reeled the game back if this Pz IV didn't have a taste for havoc. As I had predicted, the check after the game revealed they had just cracked their initial thousand battles, likely many yet to come unfortunately.

So I ask you, with over 13 600 under my belt on this account alone, and on PC alone, do I not deserve to not be put in the same company as these people?

I'm refraining from dissing them because I'm well aware I didn't start raising my skill after EIGHT thousand battles, an achievement I take no pride in (and one that arguably to some peoples taste never happened anyway) and they're not even beginning to understand the sheer complexity of the game, and their greatest battles are still ahead. But that does not mean I want my game to be ruined by these types of acts of - hopefully - ignorance.

Edit: inb4 someone tells me to uninstall because 13,6k games and 49% winrate, I know it's bad, I'm trying, but these turns of events sure do not make my life more enjoyable or easy.

Edited by Dark_Cloud, 23 July 2017 - 01:15 PM.

I_DiD_ #2 Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1462 battles
  • [PGGY] PGGY

And ofc then we have Bot's , which are 100% from WG 

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21, 24 July 2017 - 07:26 AM.
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to Naming & Shaming

The_Baba_Yaga #3 Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1793 battles
Unfortunately you can't expect to play randoms without 90% of the players being available. 

Jigabachi #4 Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17852 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Sooo... you basically want people to stay at tI until they have played 10k matches?

tV is the place where people are meant to learn, so let them be and come again when you meet those people in a tX match.

And in case you want a skillbased MM that completely cuts apart the playerbase: No, thanks.

View PostI_DiD_, on 23 July 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

And ofc then we have Bot's , which are 100% from WG

Yes, because every radom tomato you find in the game is obviously a WG bot.

btw: Good job with removing that outburst of xenophobia and plain stupidity. I already reported you, but now you'll only get a warning for naming and shaming one of the multiple hundreds of thousands of bad players in this game.

Edited by Jigabachi, 23 July 2017 - 02:07 PM.

keyres #5 Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 35228 battles
  • [F-T-R] F-T-R

View PostDark_Cloud, on 23 July 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

So I ask you, with over 13 600 under my belt on this account alone, and on PC alone, do I not deserve to not be put in the same company as these people?

I'm refraining from dissing them because I'm well aware I didn't start raising my skill after EIGHT thousand battles, an achievement I take no pride in (and one that arguably to some peoples taste never happened anyway) and they're not even beginning to understand the sheer complexity of the game, and their greatest battles are still ahead. But that does not mean I want my game to be ruined by these types of acts of - hopefully - ignorance.

So, how exactly do you expect them to improve? Playing low tiers is not really the answer, as high amount of fresh players there don't punish mistakes and misplays not nearly as harshly as veterans on higher tiers.

In terse words, these people have to play, make mistakes and get punished for them. Then, hopefully, they will slowly improve.

There are many ways to improve faster than trial and error, yes. But that requires initiative (like joining forums for example; how I wish I had known this place earlier).

If these newbs bother you that much, then point them towards the forum, clans like SGTA or decent streams via DM. 

malachi6 #6 Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 48933 battles
Can someone explain to me the words, free to play and random?  My understanding of them is clearly quite different to that of the OP.

Dark_Cloud #7 Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15003 battles
  • [SPL1] SPL1

@Jigabachi Then are you saying that A) It's completely fine for players to get rekt by the uninformed actions of newcomers and this cannot be remedied get over it and B) For any - excuse me the word - 'intellectual' I strictly have to stick to tier 8 and above? I can get in detail with this on request later, but I hope neither of these claims are of any accuracy whatsoever.

I'm only talking about randoms let me clarify, and you seem to be of the opinion that cutting the playerbase there in any way is by default negative. I'll go on the assumption - correct me if I'm wrong - it's because of wait times.

If I can lower the chance of these kind of players by even half, you could give me a wait time of ten minutes for every single game, Whooptiedoo. I care so much and tears will be shed. PRECISELY NEVER.

@Keyres I dunno, by NOT either ruining the games of experienced players, or getting stomped by them would be a great start. Best case scenario, both!

View Postmalachi6, on 23 July 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Can someone explain to me the words, free to play and random?  My understanding of them is clearly quite different to that of the OP.

Free to play: a game that allows anyone with sufficient hardware capacity to play the given game for no monetary charges whatsoever.

Randomness is regularly skewed in numerous things to achieve an improvement in perceived randomness. A RANDOM random would mean the matchmaker would lump everyone in the same pool regardless of say, tier.

Free to play doesn't have anything to do with the content of the game, as long as the whole experience is free, premium tanks or account are not required, while they boost acquisition of in-game currencies. I'm not enforcing costs, shut down.

Randoms called randoms is idiotic, nobody wants true randoms, and I just called for a slight adjusting in the lack of randomness in randoms that there already is. Open to elaboration.

Jigabachi #8 Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17852 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDark_Cloud, on 23 July 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

@Jigabachi Then are you saying that A) It's completely fine for players to get rekt by the uninformed actions of newcomers and this cannot be remedied get over it

Not at all. The *Edited playerbase is one of my top3 problems I have with the game.

Block Quote

and B) For any - excuse me the word - 'intellectual' I strictly have to stick to tier 8 and above?

No, just don't complain about meeting new or bad players in the LOWER TIERS, because that's exactly where they should be to learn how the game works.

Block Quote

you seem to be of the opinion that cutting the playerbase there in any way is by default negative.

Yes. In my opinion, that's always a bad approach, as variation is what makes matches interesting. The problem is, like you noticed, that there are too many bad and utterly bad players playing this game. So, basically, I'm completely on your side. I just disagree with your approach.

Edited by Nohe21, 27 July 2017 - 09:09 AM.
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to disrespectful comments.

Dark_Cloud #9 Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15003 battles
  • [SPL1] SPL1

View PostJigabachi, on 23 July 2017 - 04:22 PM, said:

Not at all. The utterly *Edited playerbase is one of my top3 problems I have with the game.

Yes. In my opinion, that's always a bad approach, as variation is what makes matches interesting. The problem is, like you noticed, that there are too many bad and utterly bad players playing this game. So, basically, I'm completely on your side. I just disagree with your approach.

Variation in this case are the bad players.

So, what is the approach, at least in your opinion?

Obviously not everyone can be good at the game, for a multitude of reasons, and the skill-based MM/playerbase cutting has arguments for and against, really the only thing everyone agrees on is to get rid of *Edited people, and the definition of that, too is controversial.

One thing that might help is Wargaming having something in the works, anything, for once

And actually, well, I dunno, using that porking sandbox they made such a fuss about as a constant test server.

And with that comic sans, dropping the whole big updates thing because the chance they'll *Edited rises exponentially when you apply drastic changes, ie the 3-5-7 MM*

*My problem with that really is the tier disparity, I want the +/-2MM to work but a Chi-Ri cannot, repeat, cannot combat a T-54, which can reliably brawl a maus, even in the current status quo, and it's getting buffed what

Edited by Nohe21, 27 July 2017 - 09:12 AM.
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to disrespectful comments.

Slind #10 Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50187 battles

This game is filled with bad players, the ones who play 20k battles and still only use HE. Or camp in the corner. WG doesn't care. WG made the japanese super heavy tanks with derp guns for these players, the players who can't aim or pen anything. No need for penetration if you use high caliber HE gun. But the bad players struggle with credits. If you miss 10 shots in every battle and do average damage of 237 at tier 8, you won't make any profit. And what about the good old premium tanks? KV-5, SuperPershing, IS-6? They all have low pen, so you need to know how to play. They don't work for the average 39-42% WR muppet, who can't even win with IS-3 more than 43% of their games. WG found a solution, make better premium tanks. Now even the most *Edited camping *Edited can pen one or two shots in the battle, if they just camp enough. And that's where get this kind of results from:

Not a newbie, but totally useless thing that does nothing but fail every battle. I've got about 170 screen shots of players of this calibre. This is why the games are crap, why battles end up 1-15 or 15-3 and WG doesn't give a damn.

Edited by Nohe21, 27 July 2017 - 09:13 AM.
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to disrespectful and inappropriate remarks.

malachi6 #11 Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 48933 battles

What you want is a game that forces people to play the way you want.  That denies people with time or money access to the game becasue you believe they should not have it.  That you should know exactly what you are going to face every battle and not have to adapt or learn to adapt?

Tier 5 is hardly the pinnacle of the gaming experience.  Indeed, it can be argued that you only really start learning the game there. Perhaps I am wrong.  my belief is that on balance you will meet these people in both teams.  Good and bad.  So in the long term it balances out anyway.  

Many people play to get to higher tier tanks regardless of their skill.  Given that the game is free, that is completely their right.  How would you have felt if you could not have dragged you particular brand of poor play into the mid tiers and learned?  Seems hypocritical to me that, now you have learned there.  That you do not want others doing the same.

brisha #12 Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15244 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Player retention is pretty low. Most start play a few hundred battles and leave.

Now if you put restrictions on them then they would not be able to buy T8 prems so they can play with the big boys right away. This would cost WG millions.

There are millions of newly formed abandoned accounts, there will be a huge amount of those accounts with premium tanks, this is just as big a revenue strean for wg as anything else, they are not giving that up for anything.

Neyaru #13 Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7891 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostDark_Cloud, on 23 July 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

No replays because I for the life of me can't get WoT replays to actually upload the replays properly, please fix.

If you don't watch until the end replay will be corrupted.

Jigabachi #14 Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17852 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDark_Cloud, on 23 July 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

So, what is the approach, at least in your opinion?

Obviously not everyone can be good at the game, for a multitude of reasons, and the skill-based MM/playerbase cutting has arguments for and against, really the only thing everyone agrees on is to get rid of *Edited people, and the definition of that, too is controversial.

First of all, WG has to FINALLY fix this goddamn buggy forum software, so that I don't have to type everything twice. Hrrrrgnnh! -.-#

Once again... now a bit shorter:

Basically... it's too late. The game is already broken beyond any possible repair, so the only thing that - in my opinion - would somewhat improve the situation regarding the playerbase is what I really don't like in games: Leagues. And I'm really not sure what I'd prefer - THAT or keeping everything as it is. I'd probably go for keeping it as it is, which means losing even more faith in mankind. But I imagine that this is still better than dumbing down the game with horribly boring league matches.

What they should have done years ago is introducing a progress system, combined with proper tutorials. This is a f2p actiongame with very low system requirements and advertisements everywhere, so it's doomed to have its share of pondlife in the playerbase, but if they would have bothered at all to lead and guide their players, it would look quite differently now. But instead, they decided to no not do anything and just watch the red flood piling higher and higher.

teamkill_2014 #15 Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15976 battles
today in battle jg pz e100 tomato, 30k games 200 wn8 calling rest of team noobs and bots...... :P

Edited by teamkill_2014, 23 July 2017 - 07:36 PM.

Long_Range_Sniper #16 Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

General

• Player
  • 30299 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDark_Cloud, on 23 July 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

Obviously not everyone can be good at the game, for a multitude of reasons, and the skill-based MM/playerbase cutting has arguments for and against, really the only thing everyone agrees on is to get rid of *Edited people, and the definition of that, too is controversial.

How about we help out Darwin by deleting any account with more than 10k games that can't win more than 50% of their games? If they've not managed to work out the game by then,*Edited

*Edited = Games >10K and Winrate <50%........simple.

Edited by Nohe21, 27 July 2017 - 09:19 AM.

Schemezoid #17 Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:04 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20230 battles
Is this one of those orange complaining threads?

Solstad1069 #18 Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 39667 battles

The strange thing is that im playing a bit "playerunknown battlegrounds" and i think im the worst player ever.

I would really like if i could get all the 46% player in wot to play against me in that shooter because i feel so noob:)

NUKLEAR_SLUG #19 Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27175 battles

View PostDark_Cloud, on 23 July 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

Once upon a time there was a fairy tale that said World of Tanks didn't allow players of certain battle counts to hop into the "big boy boots". Did this ever happen?

Because it should.

I agree. Please sell all your tier 7+ tanks immediately. I don't deserve to have someone of your skill level playing at the same tiers I might be in.

That's fair right? 

DracheimFlug #20 Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8956 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 23 July 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

How about we help out Darwin by deleting any account with more than 10k games that can't win more than 50% of their games? If they've not managed to work out the game by then,*Edited

*Edited = Games >10K and Winrate <50%........simple.

So.... you wipe out half the player base above 10k games. And then since bell curves still exist, you get a new batch that end up under 50%. So you wipe again 50%. Perhaps you can rename WoT 'Halflife?'

Meanwhile, on what basis do you eliminate paid players? Do you compensate them? How? Certainly don't expect anyone near 50% to spend anything on the game knowing they could have their account wiped if they have a bad streak.

Simple indeed. Utterly brilliant.... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users