wait for skorpion G or buy the S1?

premium question help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

mollethepro #1 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8312 battles

i realy need credits in WoT, so i am woundering what premium tank i should get.

i would like to play a TD because i havent realy played TD's that much and they tend to stay in the battle for longer and do more damage per hit compared to heavy tanks.

the skorpion G is currently not for sale but the swedish S1 is, so i am woundering...

should i buy the stridsvagn S1 now or should i wait untill the skorpion G is available.

(i am only going to buy one because im 12 whit a small amount of money.)

please dont write "the skorpion is better, bla bla bla" because it doesent help me since i already know that.

Suurpolskija #2 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

Are you familiar with the siege mode?

Don't buy anything you might learn to hate instantly.

If there's a test server up, why don't you go and try it out?

mollethepro #3 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8312 battles

View PostSuurpolskija, on 24 July 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

Are you familiar with the siege mode?

Don't buy anything you might learn to hate instantly.

If there's a test server up, why don't you go and try it out?

i will try as soon as the test is up, i tried it a while ago and i liked it but it was a while ago so yea im gona try it again.

qpranger #4 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 32423 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Get the T 34-85M.

xx984 #5 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Major

• Player
  • 54851 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN
Skorp is definatley the better option, S1 isnt fun to play at all and the Skorp is atleast abit flexible which normally means you would also get better results with the skorpion  - My guess is the skorp will be on sale at start of august for WG Anniversary so imo wait for that

Edited by xx984, 24 July 2017 - 06:24 PM.

mollethepro #6 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8312 battles

View Postxx984, on 24 July 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

Skorp is definatley the better option, S1 isnt fun to play at all and the Skorp is atleast abit flexible which normally means you would also get better results with the skorpion  - My guess is the skorp will be on sale at start of august for WG Anniversary so imo wait for that

ok, i will look out for it in august.

xx984 #7 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 54851 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN

View Postmollethepro, on 24 July 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

ok, i will look out for it in august.

Not 100% that it will come up, But there are usually a few premiums that come up that are not on normally

DaSpood #8 Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21581 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

To be honest the Skorpion is way overrated.

Everyone say it's OP because:

1) It is fast

2) It is accurate

3) It has huge alpha compared to other prems of its tier

4) It has a turret

But people don't seem to realise that:

1) It is huge and has no armor, it needs the speed to run away

2) Accuracy in a game where 1/4 of everything is random is a pointless stat. I can snipe at extreme ranges with KV-2 but miss shots with Strv103B. Besides the gun bloom is terrible and any shot not fully aimed is gonna miss 90% of the time.

3) It has the same alpha as every other tier 8 regular german TD, and it does not have the best reload out of all of them.

4) Borsig has a turret, better dpm, same or bigger gun, much better camo on a smaller tank, and more than decent accuracy.

Basicaly they call it OP because it's unusual, but it is probably the most balanced out of all tier 8 premiums that came out this year and the year before.

It IS really good, it WILL make a crapton of credits, however it is not as easy mode as say a Defender for exemple. If you're spotted, you're dead. If you fire, you're spotted most of the time. If HE lands on the same map as you, you'll get splashed. If you get hit, you get crit'ed.

All in all it really depends on your playstyle. If you can deal with the huge monster that has 0 armor and bad camo, then you'll do very well in it, because higher alpha means higher income each shot you fire. The longer you can survive with such bad survivability stats, the more money you'll make. But if you get spotted too fast, your gun won't save you.

On the other hand you have tanks like Strv S1 that have much better camo, are still rather fast, have a turret-mode, are at least as accurate if not more, and most importantly have much much better armor that can bounce incoming shots. The Strv may have lower dpm or alpha, but you'll survive much longer with it and thus will be able to do more damages on long term. Also the Strv is in the in-game shop which means you'll be able to get the 15% discounts on it, you can test it on common-test servers, and it wont be a compulsive purshase.

I own the Skorpion, I don't own the Strv. I like it, it makes a ton of money. But I feel like if I could exchange it for the Strv today I'd happily do it. The tank is way overrated, and suffers too much from small maps and derp guns. Strv will perform better in most environments except maybe city maps, and that's only because of the turret.

I'd say try the Strv, see if you like it. If you like it then go for it. If you don't like it then go for the Skorpion. Don't go for the skorpion without having tried Strv first, because you may regret your choice.

Edited by SpeedyCraft51, 24 July 2017 - 07:43 PM.

thestaggy #9 Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14841 battles

I own the Skorpion and tested the Strv on the latest test server.

Skorpion > Strv

Neither tank has armour. HE messes both of them up so getting spotted in either is a death sentence.

Where the Skorpion wins is in its flexibility and familiar playstyle, Due to the turret and mobility the Skorpion can also play as a pseudo medium. If the battlefield changes the Skorpion can rapidly react. If you have ever played a support/sniping medium, the Skorpion will be a familiar tank. 

On the other hand I found the Strv, like all turretless TDs, to be clunky and unresponsive to changes in the battlefield. The siege mode also takes some getting used to and in the heat of the moment you can either forget to exit it or enter it, getting yourself killed or missing out on vital damage.

Neither are good at making their own plays, but the Skorpion G does give you options to do your own thing if your team collapses whereas the Strv is restricted. If your team melts or bots out the Strv felt like driftwood whereas in my Skorpion I can get around and make something happen on my own. Corridor and city maps don't hurt the Skorpion nearly as much as they hurt the Strv either.

Cobra6 #10 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Wait for Skorpion G, static gun TD's are completely obsolete in the current game meta, especially slow ones (siege mode) without effective armour.

Better to have no armour but mobility and a turret, trust me.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 24 July 2017 - 08:02 PM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #11 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49510 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

Check this out...

http://tanks.gg/tank/amx-cda-105

• same alpha as the strv, less dpm than the skorpion .
  • mobile without the crippling siege mode.
  • better camo than the skorpion.
  • same dispersion as the skorpion (better when moving the hull or traversing the gun since there is no turret).
  • no turret which is the main advantage of the skorpion.
  • can mount vents unlike the skorpion.
  • awesome shell velocity (AP) if it stays the same as the test server which make it much more accurate than the skorpion.

might come out while you are waiting for the skorpion.

N.B: no other tier 8 td is generally better than the skorpion but some can be specifically better in other characteristics.

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 24 July 2017 - 08:05 PM.

mani_the_blyatoris #12 Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13776 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

Skorp>S1, that's for sure.

S1 can be fun too - but it is slower, has the siege mechanic. The most annoying thing is bots parking next to you so you can't turn... so fking annoying.

CaravanOfCourage #13 Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47188 battles

Skorpion is probably one of best credit farmers in game. Higher alpha and cheaper shells. Plus turret and decent mobility. S1 is kinda cool in the right situation and I am enjoying it since buying it couple of days ago (WG spamming me with 30% off vouchers! lol).

Also, is this your main account? If so, wait for Skorpion and get a decent crew ready for it! My S1 crew are on their 3rd skill........Skorpion 6th, every little helps and I wouldn't recommend playing a tier 8 TD without at least 2 full skills.

imendars #14 Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10983 battles

View Postmollethepro, on 24 July 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

i realy need credits in WoT, so i am woundering what premium tank i should get.

i would like to play a TD because i havent realy played TD's that much and they tend to stay in the battle for longer and do more damage per hit compared to heavy tanks.

the skorpion G is currently not for sale but the swedish S1 is, so i am woundering...

should i buy the stridsvagn S1 now or should i wait untill the skorpion G is available.

(i am only going to buy one because im 12 whit a small amount of money.)

please dont write "the skorpion is better, bla bla bla" because it doesent help me since i already know that.

strv have one advantage - you can be aggressive if there is small rise. That tank in siege mode is lot faster and more manuverable than its regular version in siege mode.

So you can go crazy with strv s1 too.

BUT with scorpion you can enjoy those nice 500 and sometimes high rolls ( up to 600 i think) even in heavy tank area. You just gona have to learn to see when enemy is busy and ready for 1 nice high roll from your scorpion.

Those tanks are different and not really comparable.

On city maps you wont be impressed with strv s1, but even there sometimes is something to do...

Igor_BL #15 Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39517 battles
  • [GX] GX

scorp is OP. on all weakly tournaments where dmg counts, people pick skorpion,

and avg 3k with it, np at all. i strugle with rev, going 2500ish but just cant pull off same the scorp can.

plus, it earns  credits so easy.

comparing it with rhm you have to say Scorp is so bloody fast.

you can play corners, agresive, etc. not pure sniper as rhm

Vela_ZG #16 Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24283 battles
  • [CBS87] CBS87

I own both, Skorpion is too big, has bad camo and turns like a whale on a beach. All you can do with it is peek from the cover and take a shot, then quickly hide again. But you need to do it in a straight line, if you have to turn to hide, you're screwed. Skorpion really isn't that special, trust me. It does make good credits and that's about it, no adrenaline involved. 

S1 on the other hand is really fun while you're not spoted because it is exclusively a sniper and NOTHING else, and it's a great sniper. The gun is fixed, that means NO aiming if you're not in siege mode and if you get tracked, remember this! It's traverse speed is better than the Skorpion's but it's too slow to catch ANY light tank circling you. The engine is too weak to explore some hill climbing positions, so your best bet is to have good camo and binocs and just camp. The gun is really amazing with high shell speed and pen, accuracy too. (it trolls less than the Skorpion's gun) One other thing... it sucks in the city, any city. If you're catching someone because you can't snipe, so you have to do something this tank isn't ment for, you have to turn around the corner, enter siege mode, aim and shoot. Not good, really, it sucks in the city.

Skorpion has one noticeable advantage over S1 and that's the combined hull turning speed with the turret turning speed is good enough to punish a light tank circling you.

If we could choose the maps we want to play on, S1 would be one of the best tanks in the game.

Edited by Vela_ZG, 25 July 2017 - 12:05 PM.

SilentFear #17 Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 25359 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostCobra6, on 24 July 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Wait for Skorpion G, static gun TD's are completely obsolete in the current game meta, especially slow ones (siege mode) without effective armour.

Better to have no armour but mobility and a turret, trust me.

Cobra 6

That.

Skoprion can be played like a med in almost every map. You can be agressive from the get go.

However if you expect easy OP tonk that will carry you to victory - better wait for the Defender.

mollethepro #18 Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8312 battles

alot of people say that the skorpion G is the best, i realy want the S1 more but the skorpion farms better.

and many say that the skorpion G is too good?, they say its going to be nerfed, what are the chanses/odds of that happening?

because i dont want to buy a tank that in the future will be crap.

Gvozdika #19 Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38155 battles

Pretty much as above. 

Skorpion hits hard - hard enough to make even a T10 driver think twice. Since the game seems to be currently focused around who has the biggest boom-stick vs thickest armour - the Skorp wins in the boomstick department and has 311 pen premium shells to punch through pretty much any target you come across. Combine that with a turret + panther mobility - you have a mobile gun platform that can cause a lot of damage in a handful of shots. Even if with a LT or MT gunning for it and trying to get in close - a Skorpion stands a much better chance than virtually any other T8 TD in fighting them off.

S1 is really good in certain situations (static sniping games covering a specific line/corridor of approach) - but less great overall on a variety of maps and often fluid nature of randoms where movement is key. Great for picking a camping spot, sitting in said camping spot and not much else - aside from relocating to a new camping spot every now and then. If you get spotted - you'll be shot to bits. If an enemy with any kind of mobility greater than a glacier gets close to you - you'll be shot to bits. This is based on my experiences on testing the S1 on common test and using the UDES regular tech equivalent. 

I highly doubt WG would nerf either of them. 

a) They don't nerf premium tanks as a rule (not recently). 'Indirect' nerfs like MM changes are incidental and affect all tanks.

b) They're unlikely to nerf stuff like the Skorpion or S1 before stuff like the Defender - which statistically does need nerfing in some way shape or form. (see point A)

Aikl #20 Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25536 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

The main reason why people are whining so much about the Skorpion is because it's extremely popular.

The likelihood of getting shot by one is pretty big when there are one in almost every T8 match. The reason is obvious - it's likely the best tank for 'the common player' when it comes to being somewhat useful on every map and tier combination, and even if you do something stupid you usually still get one 490-damage shot off.

Sure, it's good, strong, or whatever, but it's not blatantly overpowered. If you check the win rate curves, you'll notice that it performs on-par with the RHM. I generally expect premium tanks to overperform a bit, due to players being more used to them and having no stock grind (not that the RHM really has it either), as well as possibly more premium ammo and better crews.

Provided that premium tanks inherently have an advantage, it's not surprising that the RHM is on-par with the Skorpion - it's much better at 'standard TD gameplay'. It literally has more than twice the camo rating in every value. The Scorp is worse than a Panther, which is pretty darn bad for a medium tank to begin with.

S1 can be fun, but it's obviously more limited. Half the fun comes from making the thing work on a city map. :P

Also tagged with premium, question, help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users