Spot damage bug?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

_snowfIake__ #1 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26580 battles
Noticed this a long while ago but never remembered to look into it. The one I just had now went like this: I spot a tank from a distance and move back behind a hill so I don't get shot to pieces by enemy camping boosh, and of course I no longer have a line of sight to that tank, another tank who was much closer to that tank but had no sight of line on him moves out of cover and engages him close combat, but every time he hits him I get "Damage upon spotting" message on my screen... I don't know if it actually adds the damage. Is that working as intended?

Edited by __stupids_____, 24 July 2017 - 06:31 PM.

Hedgehog1963 #2 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50590 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

View Post__stupids_____, on 24 July 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

Noticed this a long while ago but never remembered to look into it. The one I just had now went like this: I spot a tank from a distance and move back behind a hill so I don't get shot to pieces by enemy camping boosh, and of course I no longer have a line of sight to that tank, another tank who was much closer to that tank but had no sight of line on him moves out of cover and engages him close combat, but every time he hits him I get "Damage upon spotting" message on my screen... I don't know if it actually adds the damage. Is that working as intended?

I get this as well.  It is as though you get some credit for having been the original spotter of the enemy, even though later someone else is closer and you can nolonger see that enemy tank.

AliceUnchained #3 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

General

• Player
  • 37953 battles
  • [322] 322

View Post__stupids_____, on 24 July 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

If you get the Damage upon spotting message then obviously you are receiving damage upon spotting. And clearly what you describe is not actually happening, so why not share the replay.

Oh and it's Line of Sight btw, or LoS.

View PostHedgehog1963, on 24 July 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

I get this as well.  It is as though you get some credit for having been the original spotter of the enemy, even though later someone else is closer and you can nolonger see that enemy tank.

Once spotted, a vehicle remains visible for a certain amount of time. Any damage inflicted during that time, by Allies not able to spot the opponent themselves, will be credited as assisted damage for the one who spotted that opponent. If another Ally has moved up and is now spotting that opponent as well, the bonus will be split. Key aspect here is that once LoS is broken an opponent usually remains visible for a while longer, so any damage inflicted during that time still counts as assisted.

I do believe the whole calculation is done at the moment of firing as I'm sure I have received assisted damage when SPG's hit a previously spotted opponent after it disappeared again.

Edited by AliceUnchained, 24 July 2017 - 06:50 PM.

ZlatanArKung #4 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
Spotting damage is gained by the spotter/spotters if the tank dealing damage doesn't spot the tank by himself.
Reason for not spotting by himself can be.
1: he is further away.
2: he is behind plenty of bushes (but closer) which obstructs his view range do he can't spit the target himself.

When you spot a tank, the tank will be lit for your team for 5-10 additional seconds AFTER you break line of sight with the tank or the tank has moved out of your viewrange or camo reason.

_snowfIake__ #5 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26580 battles
cba to provide a replay, I'm sure there will be more people who have better observation power than Alice and Zlatan  :D

Edited by __stupids_____, 24 July 2017 - 06:52 PM.

AliceUnchained #6 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

General

• Player
  • 37953 battles
  • [322] 322

View Post__stupids_____, on 24 July 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

cba to provide a replay, I'm sure there will be more people who have better observation power than Alice and Zlatan  

So, utter BS then. What a surprise. 

@Moderators: Time to junk.

m1x_angelico #7 Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22086 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO
If you spot a tank it remains spotted 10 secs. Don't you get spot damage (or shared spot damage) for 10 secs even if you no longer have line of sight?

_snowfIake__ #8 Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26580 battles

View Postm1x_angelico, on 24 July 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

If you spot a tank it remains spotted 10 secs. Don't you get spot damage (or shared spot damage) for 10 secs even if you no longer have line of sight?

My point is the tank shooting it is spotting for itself but I still get spot damage. I went to get the replay but since this account is banned I am playing an alt and it is on default "last battle" replay... so some one else will have to back me up with a replay. It happens fairly frequently I'm sure people will have noticed.

AliceUnchained #9 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

General

• Player
  • 37953 battles
  • [322] 322

View Post__stupids_____, on 24 July 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

My point is the tank shooting it is spotting for itself but I still get spot damage. I went to get the replay but since this account is banned I am playing an alt and it is on default "last battle" replay... so some one else will have to back me up with a replay. It happens fairly frequently I'm sure people will have noticed.

Well as it happens frequently enough, just keep playing, stop after the game where it happens, and share the replay. Do I have to spell it out for you or something? It's not rocket science, Einstein. So drop the attitude and sod off until you have something useful to share. If the ally damaging the tank can spot the opponent him/her self you should not get any assisted damage. If it does happen, the only way to show that is through replay and won't magically be proven by mere post just because you said so. Is that really so hard to comprehend? I guess you chose this name for a reason...

malachi6 #10 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 48933 battles

View PostAliceUnchained, on 24 July 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

Well as it happens frequently enough, just keep playing, stop after the game where it happens, and share the replay. Do I have to spell it out for you or something? It's not rocket science, Einstein. So drop the attitude and sod off until you have something useful to share. If the ally damaging the tank can spot the opponent him/her self you should not get any assisted damage. If it does happen, the only way to show that is through replay and won't magically be proven by mere post just because you said so. Is that really so hard to comprehend? I guess you chose this name for a reason...

Again, much irony. 

AliceUnchained #11 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:26 PM

General

• Player
  • 37953 battles
  • [322] 322

View Postmalachi6, on 24 July 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

Again, much irony. 

Wrong thread I think, as again would imply it has happened before. Unless of course you're actually looping back to your own post. In which case it's nothing short of brilliant. And also so out of character...

The_Georgian_One #12 Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34548 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN
You always receive some assisted damage for initial spot when the tank gets damaged. Notice you even get it when the tank is no longer spotted and gets hit by arty or people blind - firing.

ZlatanArKung #13 Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

cba to provide a replay, I'm sure there will be more people who have better observation power than Alice and Zlatan  :D

Sorry for giving and explanation to what could have happened in the game you played, aswell as giving brief information to  you how spotting damage works.

I should indeed have ignored you.

IncandescentGerbil #14 Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35597 battles

View PostAliceUnchained, on 24 July 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

Wrong thread I think, as again would imply it has happened before. Unless of course you're actually looping back to your own post. In which case it's nothing short of brilliant. And also so out of character...

You realise, of course, that you have some incredibly antisocial tendencies. Constructing a persona based on your ability to deconstruct rival opinions - rudely - in a silly little forum is rather laughable. 

_snowfIake__ #15 Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26580 battles

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 25 July 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

You always receive some assisted damage for initial spot when the tank gets damaged. Notice you even get it when the tank is no longer spotted and gets hit by arty or people blind - firing.

Is that only while you are alive or even after you've died? Because then you could just yolo into the enemy base, spot most of them and die happy knowing you'll be getting xp for all those tanks  :)

ZlatanArKung #16 Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 25 July 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

No.

You only get spotted damage when you spot a tank and the tank dealing damage doesn't spot the tank.

You get spotting damage for a short period of time after the tank has become unspotted aswell if someone manages to damage it.

Initial spot or not is irrelevant.

Homer_J #17 Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27485 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

cba to provide a replay, 

Then how do you expect us to know what is happening.

If you are getting spotting damage then it is because you are responsible for the spotting and the tank doing the shooting can't spot the enemy.  It's as simple as that.

AliceUnchained #18 Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

General

• Player
  • 37953 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 25 July 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

You realise, of course, that you have some incredibly antisocial tendencies. Constructing a persona based on your ability to deconstruct rival opinions - rudely - in a silly little forum is rather laughable. 

And what exactly is antisocial about providing a preliminary explanation based on known game mechanics and asking for a replay to analyze as to assist further? If anything, post #5 is the rude part

For the rest the only thing laughable here is your psychobabble. Also makes one wonder why you're here, in this 'silly little forum'. No, thinking that you actually have the ability to ascertain someone's character and know construction of a persona is taking place is just hilarious. Add to that the fact that the post you quoted in no way actually is rude, and describing a post demonstrating misunderstanding of the term 'irony' not only an opinion but a rival one at that, and one is led to believe that you're either a clown or a joker. Either way, not one to be taken seriously. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users