Jump to content


New MM and how it influence WR spread


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

ZlatanArKung #1 Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 1529 battles
  • 5,112
  • Member since:
    12-20-2014

How do you think the new 3-5-7 MM is influencing WR across the playerbase?

 

Will it result in a tighter WR with fewer below 45% and above 60%

Or will the result be a higher WR spread within the playerbase?

 

Personally,  I believe in a tighter WR spread.

I get fewer top tiered battles, which makes it harder for me to influence battle and turn an even battle into a win as consistent is I could when I was too tiered more often.

 

Recent WR wise, I think I have slightly lower recent WR now then before the patch. But since I don't know my recent WR from before patch,  it is hard to tell.



Enforcer1975 #2 Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 18400 battles
  • 9,845
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2014
Can't really say. On one hand you have less top tiers that can rule the game on the other hand having only a few top tiers makes them very important so having bad players in the top tiers most of the time will eventually  drag down the wr in the long run since there are more bad players the good ones.
The new mm didn't really make it easier in 3 and 2 tier battles it made you have to depend more on having better players in carry tanks. You have enough problems dealing with the mid to low tiers if you are not top tier yourself. Having type / toon unbalance doesn't make it more fun either.

Ankara_Aatu #3 Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:13 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 31640 battles
  • 562
  • [RIOD] RIOD
  • Member since:
    04-11-2015

As I understand, it was designed to make players more constantly able to influence the outcome of battles (by excluding games where you are one of a few bottom tiers against a lot of +2 tier tanks), thus resulting in a wider spread.

 

While this effect is certainly there, there might be other effects not planned for, in practice. For example a player who used to play mostly tier 10 would have previously had almost all games as top tier against several lower tier tanks, whereas now a significant part of games will be all tier 10s. This would have the opposite effect of reducing his influence and thus narrowing the WR spread for the population that plays mostly tier 10. Same is probably true for the segment that plays mostly tier 8.

 

To further complicate things, the MM changes have most likely caused some changes in the behavior of players, for example playing less tier 8 and more tier 9. All of this makes it very difficult to guess the actual effects on WR spread without actual statistics.



Homer_J #4 Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:41 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27072 battles
  • 27,700
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostAnkara_Aatu, on 25 July 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

As I understand, it was designed to make players more constantly able to influence the outcome of battles (by excluding games where you are one of a few bottom tiers against a lot of +2 tier tanks), thus resulting in a wider spread.

 

I thought it was designed to stop people whining about being one of the few bottom tiers, seems to have failed at that.



laulaur #5 Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:39 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 46450 battles
  • 986
  • [FOXX] FOXX
  • Member since:
    08-11-2011

View PostHomer_J, on 25 July 2017 - 09:41 PM, said:

 

I thought it was designed to stop people whining about being one of the few bottom tiers, seems to have failed at that.

 

Yeah, because now you are one of many more bottom tiers.

In 3/5/7 template you have: 20% chance to be top tier

                                            33% chance to be middle tier

                                            46% chance to be bottom tier

So you have more than double chance to be bottom tier than top tier....:trollface:

I would gladly prefer to be one of the few lower tanks in battle once in a while- instead of being one of many lower tanks in a battle almost every battle



CmdRatScabies #6 Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:44 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 35183 battles
  • 3,546
  • Member since:
    10-12-2015

View Postlaulaur, on 25 July 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

 

Yeah, because now you are one of many more bottom tiers.

In 3/5/7 template you have: 20% chance to be top tier

                                            33% chance to be middle tier

                                            46% chance to be bottom tier

So you have more than double chance to be bottom tier than top tier....:trollface:

I would gladly prefer to be one of the few lower tanks in battle once in a while- instead of being one of many lower tanks in a battle almost every battle

 

It's actually more complicated than that - you have to take into account the tier and class you're playing and the number of players playing that same tier.  For example, the chance of being bottom tier in a Tier 8 medium / heavy is way more than 46%

laulaur #7 Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:57 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 46450 battles
  • 986
  • [FOXX] FOXX
  • Member since:
    08-11-2011

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 25 July 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

 

It's actually more complicated than that - you have to take into account the tier and class you're playing and the number of players playing that same tier.  For example, the chance of being bottom tier in a Tier 8 medium / heavy is way more than 46%

 

I agree on that. Sadly tier 8 is i think the most played tier in game, so they get more in the last 7.

I even did a myself a small experiment. I played 200 battles in tier 8 premium meds, T25 Pilot and FV4202.

Those are the results: top tier:15...........7.5%
                                    same tier: 33......16.5%
                                    middle tier: 20....10%
                                    bottom tier: 132...66% :facepalm:

 

P.S.: there are 3 teamplates  in game: 3/5/7 , 5/10 and 15 


Edited by laulaur, 25 July 2017 - 11:59 PM.


xtram3x #8 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 30752 battles
  • 1,284
  • Member since:
    01-03-2013
It'll bring high win rates down and low win rates up, not by a lot, but by enough to keep idiots happier and unicums on the verge of frustration

Asklepi0s #9 Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

    Moderator

  • Moderator
  • 4976 battles
  • 802
  • [WG_M] WG_M
  • Member since:
    01-23-2017
Thread is closed.
Due to the high number of Match Making, we want discussions to take place in the main pinned thread
here.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users