Jump to content


Berlin, Forgotten

Berlin maps return

  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Active_Current #1 Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 12360 battles
  • 39
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
  • Member since:
    12-22-2012

During the domination and rampage game-modes we were introduced to two new maps, ravaged capital and Berlin. After the fall of the game-mode and the end of 10.0 Rubicon, ravaged capital was renamed to Paris as we know in the random queue today but Berlin was forgotten which is such a shame as it was such a great map. Does anybody have any information on why it was dropped or whether we could expect the return of the brilliant Berlin inspired map in the near future?

 

We know it was planned to introduce Berlin into the random queue with Paris (evidence below). So why was it dropped?



Frostilicus #2 Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

    Major

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 22416 battles
  • 2,743
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-12-2011

Perhaps it didn't have enough corridors...

 

;)



Active_Current #3 Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 12360 battles
  • 39
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
  • Member since:
    12-22-2012
In case you don't remember the map, here is QB's tour of it from when it was in the rampage/domination game-mode https://www.youtube....h?v=QOvMk2g8J80

Browarszky #4 Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 14904 battles
  • 2,749
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
  • Member since:
    12-03-2013

View Postacdcftar, on 26 July 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

In case you don't remember the map, here is QB's tour of it from when it was in the rampage/domination game-mode https://www.youtube....h?v=QOvMk2g8J80

 

That map seems like it would be interesting. IMO also better than Paris. People keep saying WoT is not a WW2 game. Still, I would like to see more of maps based on actual historical locations/battles (not necessarily just WW2). Maybe we could also get some 'Defense of Moscow' map?

Spurtung #5 Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 60111 battles
  • 5,479
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013
Maybe it didn't have enough rocks to HD and was scratched?

Enforcer1975 #6 Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 18386 battles
  • 9,844
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2014

View PostBrowarszky, on 26 July 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

 

That map seems like it would be interesting. IMO also better than Paris. People keep saying WoT is not a WW2 game. Still, I would like to see more of maps based on actual historical locations/battles (not necessarily just WW2). Maybe we could also get some 'Defense of Moscow' map?

Problem is historical tank battles weren't fought in city corridors, at least not without infantry and open terrain was also quite open and not filled with miniature valleys to cover from side shots...i wonder how a desert storm version from WG would look like...probably with a ton of folds like the middle area of Prokhorovka. 



qpranger #7 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 30715 battles
  • 5,061
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-25-2013

View PostEnforcer1975, on 26 July 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

Problem is historical tank battles weren't fought in city corridors...

 

Erm, one was fought in Berlin in April 1945 actually :)

RamRaid90 #8 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:08 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 19683 battles
  • 5,852
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-14-2014

View Postqpranger, on 26 July 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

 

Erm, one was fought in Berlin in April 1945 actually :)

 

Always handy to pick pieces out of a quote that fits your argument... Context is always key.

 

View PostEnforcer1975, on 26 July 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Problem is historical tank battles weren't fought in city corridors, at least not without infantry

 


Edited by RamRaid90, 26 July 2017 - 12:08 PM.


Browarszky #9 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 14904 battles
  • 2,749
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
  • Member since:
    12-03-2013

View PostEnforcer1975, on 26 July 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Problem is historical tank battles weren't fought in city corridors, at least not without infantry and open terrain was also quite open and not filled with miniature valleys to cover from side shots...i wonder how a desert storm version from WG would look like...probably with a ton of folds like the middle area of Prokhorovka. 

 

Yeah.. I've pointed this out a couple of times. No way tanks would go into an urban area without support. Of course, it's less of a problem in WoT as neither side has AT positions, barricades or infantry in buildings, rooftops etc.

Dropman12 #10 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 32937 battles
  • 390
  • Member since:
    10-18-2012

View PostBrowarszky, on 26 July 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

 

Yeah.. I've pointed this out a couple of times. No way tanks would go into an urban area without support. Of course, it's less of a problem in WoT as neither side has AT positions, barricades or infantry in buildings, rooftops etc.

 

While true, you dont need to look for huge battles when looking for real battlegrounds. 15 vs 15 is not tank battle, its much more clash of tank patrols. Im not so educated in history, but I believe that you would very easily find places where fights of small tank groups without significant support took place. Surely there were some firefights even in urban area.



qpranger #11 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 30715 battles
  • 5,061
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-25-2013

View PostRamRaid90, on 26 July 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Always handy to pick pieces out of a quote that fits your argument... Context is always key.

 

I read A LOT about this last battle in various Russian-language sources. They did often just send in the tanks only, which of course sounds crazy after 4 years of hard war lessons, but they were in a hurry to end it all by 1 May, the international labour day or whatever excuse they had. Yes, there were quite efficient infantry assault squads as well, but they did not always manage to work together with the tanks.

RamRaid90 #12 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 19683 battles
  • 5,852
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-14-2014

View PostDropman12, on 26 July 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

 

While true, you dont need to look for huge battles when looking for real battlegrounds. 15 vs 15 is not tank battle, its much more clash of tank patrols. Im not so educated in history, but I believe that you would very easily find places where fights of small tank groups without significant support took place. Surely there were some firefights even in urban area.

 

Tanks would very rarely venture into close quarters urban areas without the proper infantry support. More often than not there would have been RPGs or other forms of AT weapons.

Tr0gledyte #13 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18497 battles
  • 1,219
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    07-12-2011

They really need to add more maps to the game.. So many fun maps were removed. I'll even cheer if Komarin returns. More variety please..

 

And while you're add it, upgrade your server hardware/software so that it can load more than 5 rotating maps (right now the servers cannot rotate all maps randomly because they don't all fit in the memory or something, that's why you have streaks of the same maps).



Dropman12 #14 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 32937 battles
  • 390
  • Member since:
    10-18-2012

View PostRamRaid90, on 26 July 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

 

Tanks would very rarely venture into close quarters urban areas without the proper infantry support. More often than not there would have been RPGs or other forms of AT weapons.

 

i didnt say opposite. My point is that you are talking about general (and ideal) way of warfare. But especially WW2 was kinda messy and you would easily find situation, when this not apply. Not only paris and Berlin, there were plenty of unknown villages suitable for game purpose. Im not saying game need realistic maps (or better said maps that are based on real places where tank fights), but if there were efort, it would be possible imho.

Ankara_Aatu #15 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 31640 battles
  • 562
  • [RIOD] RIOD
  • Member since:
    04-11-2015
The map layout looks decent, but there are already plenty of city maps. If they were to thrash, say Kharkov, and put this in it's place, I wouldn't protest.

Edited by Ankara_Aatu, 26 July 2017 - 12:36 PM.


Enforcer1975 #16 Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 18386 battles
  • 9,844
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2014

View PostDropman12, on 26 July 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

 

i didnt say opposite. My point is that you are talking about general (and ideal) way of warfare. But especially WW2 was kinda messy and you would easily find situation, when this not apply. Not only paris and Berlin, there were plenty of unknown villages suitable for game purpose. Im not saying game need realistic maps (or better said maps that are based on real places where tank fights), but if there were efort, it would be possible imho.

Ofc you can't always get everything you need in the chaos of war but we still see and saw nowadays what happened when commanders deliberately sent their tanks into urban areas without infantry support. Even APCs are no replacement for some guys on foot. Urban combat isn't the most hated and dangerous type of combat without a reason. 

That's what the gamer always forgets with todays games where 3rd person and satellite view in rts games makes it easy to judge a situation and act accordingly. Irl you can't peek around a corner without the enemy having a shot at you too and that's why a firefight in a game only takes seconds because respawn and no risk of life where the same situation can take hours because a mistake means game over. 



ValkyrionX #17 Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 40540 battles
  • 878
  • [VIVUS] VIVUS
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015
i want back all rampage mode maps back naoowww

Phobos4321 #18 Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42818 battles
  • 7,817
  • Member since:
    09-27-2011

there are over 40 active maps in the game already  more than most shooters have

the main problem should be the map pool choosing like 6 maps  per hour

if your battles lasted 15min you might not see a map twice tought with 3 min battles

just add 2-3 more shitty maps wont change anything

 

when i look at the maps added last

Paris

Overlord

Stalingrad

Kharkov

i can say i like non of them its even close to hate them all

 

out of the removed maps i would expect to see

Nordwest

Pearlriver 

Province (enlarged)

and

southcoast again



Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #19 Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 14864 battles
  • 3,093
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    03-18-2012

We need a battle of the bulge map.... preferably with one big magic forest...

 

... I miss that magic forest that did get pruned on Murovanka ;)







Also tagged with Berlin, maps, return

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users