Suggestion: Event/Marathon "Reward" tanks should be new content

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Should reward tanks be new content? (30 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should reward tanks be new content rather than previously exclusive paid-for content?

1. Yes (18 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (12 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Hide poll

All_up_in_ur_grille #1 Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29316 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

The last two (in quick succession) event/marathon tanks - T-34-85M & Heavy Tank VI - have both been ones exclusively available either in the gift shop or available to purchase with gold from the tech tree prior to being up for reward.

As someone who bought the T-34-85-M (which was bundled with items I didnt need/want) from the gift shop, it was frustrating to see that it was essentially being given away through an easy event mission not long after I purchased it. Now we have the Heavy Tank VI as a reward vehicle, and i've seen some other people voicing similar frustrations. Yes, there is compensation for those that already have these tanks, silver currency & garage slot, however silver currency is available to be earned in game and has never been exclusively paid-for content, unlike the tanks.

What do I think the solution should be?

Well, the two marathon tanks prior to the T-34-85M were the T-44-100, a modified version of the tech tree T-44, and the T25 Pilot which was afaik a completely new tank. Neither of these tanks had been available for purchase prior to being rewards for events. This seems like the fairest way to reward players for participating in events without disappointing people who have purchased what they thought was exclusive paid-for content.

There are plenty of tech tree lines that would benefit from new or modified versions of existing tanks being made available as reward tanks (and later being made available for purchase) however, as it stands, i'm completely dis-incentivised from buying any premium tanks as they may well become available through simply playing the game.

Cobra6 #2 Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16295 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

This is WG's way of fixing their matchmakers flaws.

Because T8 tanks constantly get thrown in to T10 matches they are forcing loads of T6 tanks into the mix to alleviate this in the hope that T8 tanks get more top tier matches.

We've never had a marathon that was so easy as the T34-85M where everyone with the skills of a newt could get it and now barely a week later we get another marathon.

Instead of just admitting their new MM is a disaster for mid tier tanks they hope to bury it for as long as possible without having to admit there is a problem.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 01 August 2017 - 07:59 PM.

Aikl #3 Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Cobra6 is correct.

I do agree with OP that it's kind of annoying to get a mission set like that, especially for an 'unique' tank. Even letting people pick their reward between some normal tech tree tanks would make sense. Of course, post-Mutant there's no real reason to take things for granted anymore.

(If the UI can't do that/can't be altered easily you can simply let people pick by playing a T1 tank of their choice, finishing a mission that consumes tokens.)

Geno1isme #4 Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40053 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
There are already more than enough tanks in the game, no need to invent new ones just for events IMO.

Timewarp76 #5 Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 18623 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
100% agree, and it's blatantly visible, there is a huge over saturation of Tier 6 and Tier 8 vehicles.

PowJay #6 Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33846 battles

We already have exclusive reward tanks for PMs and other activities. Regular Premium tanks that are available to purchase (at least sometimes) have often been offered as mission rewards.

My thoughts on this would be....

1. If you have money and decided to buy one or more Premium tanks, that was YOUR decision. I have decided to NOT buy large numbers of Premium tanks. That's MY decision. 

2. If WG offer the opportunity to earn a Premium tank, then I am going to decide whether or not to attempt the tasks. If it's easy enough then I probably will. If it isn't, or I know that I won't have time, then I wont. I won't complain about it either way: although I may comment. 

3. I do agree, however, that the T-34-85M marathon was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too easy, and an insult to anyone who bought it.

At least the current marathon isn't too easy, and excludes a huge proportion of the playerbase through tier and skill requirements: i.e. it is not a cheap gift.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62839 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostCobra6, on 01 August 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

We've never had a marathon that was so easy as the T34-85M where everyone with the skills of a newt could get it and now barely a week later we get another marathon.

And yet it did not even take 1 second before we had topics on how "hard" the last stage of the current one is. If it's to easy, people complain. If it's to hard, the other side complains.

But as for unique rearwards? As seen with the T-44-100. The price of buying it later during a "sale" will still be pricey as all heck, so not to be unfair vs those that bought it during them mission. And since you could skip most of the missions with buying tokens on all unique reward tanks. They never are that unique anyway. As you could still get it if you only had tanks in 3 nations. Unlike the IS-6 where you needed a tier 6 tank in all nations to do it to name one. As there was no tokens skip it. If they did that, if they should not sell it during the even, or sold no tokens to skip it. It would be unique. And we know that won't happen. So they might as well use a normal one. As I've hardly touched my T-44-100. As you see it rather often even now. As to many bought their way past it.

Edited by Balc0ra, 02 August 2017 - 11:52 AM.

Homer_J #8 Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postall_up_in_ur_sheet, on 01 August 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

what they thought was exclusive paid-for content.

I'm not sure how or why you thought the T-34-85M or HT IV were exclusive paid for content.  WG never suggested that as far as I recall.

Toni112007 #9 Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9732 battles
Tiger 217 when?

All_up_in_ur_grille #10 Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29316 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

@ Cobra 6 - Not impossible, WG do seem to take huge periods of time to address balance related issues, and when they do the methods often seem questionable

@ Powjay - If there was a notification that they would shortly be available to earn in-game, that would affect my decision (and others too, most likely) to purchase them

@ Homer J - The T-34-85M was, as far as I know, previously only available to purchase through the gift shop, thus exclusive to those prepared to purchase

Homer_J #11 Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postall_up_in_ur_sheet, on 02 August 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

@ Homer J - The T-34-85M was, as far as I know, previously only available to purchase through the gift shop, thus exclusive to those prepared to purchase

And what made you think it would stay that way?

Most new premium tanks start out only in the gift shop and are eventually put in the in game store.

Many older premium tanks have been used as rewards.

The only exclusivity you bought (if any) was being one of the first to own it.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62839 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postall_up_in_ur_sheet, on 02 August 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

Any tank for sale via the gift shop can appear like that. As it does neither say they never will appear, or will be given in any other way when you buy them either. And this is not the first tank to do so, neither the last. And The T-34-85M has been given out via server contests and events before this. As I got mine that way. So it's not exclusively via sales.. And the Tiger even less so. As it's in the tech tree for gold.

Edited by Balc0ra, 02 August 2017 - 03:07 PM.

All_up_in_ur_grille #13 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29316 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

And what made you think it would stay that way?

Most new premium tanks start out only in the gift shop and are eventually put in the in game store.

Many older premium tanks have been used as rewards.

The only exclusivity you bought (if any) was being one of the first to own it.

There was nothing on the premium store at time of purchase that suggested otherwise.

The T-34-85M never even made it to the in game store, so hasn't even been available for gold. This again adds to exclusivity, which you were originally contesting.

Yes, and i'm suggesting an alternative

I wasn't one of the first to own it, I bought it a couple of months before it was made a reward.

Homer_J #14 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postall_up_in_ur_sheet, on 02 August 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

There was nothing on the premium store at time of purchase that suggested otherwise.

You really want a disclaimer on every tank they put in the premium shop that it "may be available by other means in future"?

I bought both T-34-85M and HT #6 knowing full well they may be available in other ways in future, I did not need to be told.

PowJay #15 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33846 battles

Of course I understand that if I told you that next week you could "earn" the Pudel by playing one game a day for a week, you wouldn't buy it today.

That is a risk you potentially take when you choose to buy a Premium tank. 

I've won, not bought, the Chi-Nu-kai. It wasn't too difficult as I recall and there were no tokens on offer.

I've spent €2 on the T25 Pilot and completed the mission for the rest of the tokens.

I ignored the tier VIII heavy marathons because they were way too difficult. I'd rather earn the money to buy one with overtime than stress myself out with days and days of play.

The D-Max marathon was difficult enough for me time-wise that I didn't trouble myself. 

New and unsuspecting players might buy Premium tanks without much thought, but what else is new? The only real gripe I have (once again) is to make it so easy that it really is an insult to those who paid for it. If I think it's too difficult, I simply won't attempt it and I really would rather pay than struggle to find the time.

Homer_J #16 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPowJay, on 02 August 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

The D-Max marathon  

And that had been in game a long time when they had the marathon.  Also the Super Pershing.  And wasn't there one for the super rare exclusive KV-220?

All_up_in_ur_grille #17 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29316 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

You really want a disclaimer on every tank they put in the premium shop that it "may be available by other means in future"?

I bought both T-34-85M and HT #6 knowing full well they may be available in other ways in future, I did not need to be told.

No, I would like them to to produce new content (even if it is similar to existing content, like the T-44-100) unlockable through events, as I said in my OP.

I certainly think it's bad practice to have an item only available through purchase with real money, bundled, and sold within a tight deadline (1 day sale I think) to be essentially given away shortly thereafter.

PowJay #18 Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33846 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

And that had been in game a long time when they had the marathon.  Also the Super Pershing.  And wasn't there one for the super rare exclusive KV-220?

So, the argument regards the newness of the tanks on offer? Fair enough, I suppose. 

Homer_J #19 Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPowJay, on 02 August 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

So, the argument regards the newness of the tanks on offer? Fair enough, I suppose. 

T-34-85M has been in the game, neglected, for a long time.  IIRC it arrived before Rudy and was quickly rendered obsolete by it.  And the HT VI is hardly new.

PowJay #20 Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:54 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33846 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

T-34-85M has been in the game, neglected, for a long time.  IIRC it arrived before Rudy and was quickly rendered obsolete by it.  And the HT VI is hardly new.

I am getting mixed messages here. In post #16, your comment on the D-Max marathon alone suggests that it was fair game for a marathon, and possibly others. Your comment in #19, however, suggests that the T-34-85M and HT no 6 are both fair game also- which is what the OP is complaining about in the first place.

I, in the meantime, understand the OPs opinion, but I really couldn't tell you how long any Premium tank has been in the game. When is it fair? After, say, 12 months? In which case, most Premium tanks are eligible.

My original PoV still stands, however: if you WANT to spend money on Premium tanks and you HAVE the money to spend on Premium tanks and you DO spend your money on Premium tanks, that is YOUR choice. I believe that it is only unfair if a marathon to win one is as easy as the one for the T-34-85M- which you were basically awarded just for playing. This marathon is not so easy- Part four, I mean. The rest is easy enough given time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users