Jump to content


Icons Edited?!


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

call_me_ShockZz #1 Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16920 battles
  • 262
  • [WEBAN] WEBAN
  • Member since:
    06-27-2013

so recently I've noticed these little icons above my team members and also enemies

 

not in every battle though

 

what the heck is that?

 



Spurtung #2 Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61598 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013
Mods? I see none of that in vanilla client.

call_me_ShockZz #3 Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16920 battles
  • 262
  • [WEBAN] WEBAN
  • Member since:
    06-27-2013

View PostSpurtung, on 02 August 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Mods? I see none of that in vanilla client.

 

I got the one from QB and he doesnt have these as far as I know

Balc0ra #4 Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 64467 battles
  • 15,475
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

View Postcall_me_ShockZz, on 02 August 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

 

I got the one from QB and he doesnt have these as far as I know

 

Don't matter if it's made for it or not. It could be an outdated mod screwing with something else. Try safe mode just to be sure. If it's gone then. Then yes, it's something in that mod pack.

Edited by Balc0ra, 02 August 2017 - 02:31 PM.


Homer_J #5 Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • 29,000
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

It's a part of XVM which shows you what equipment is mounted on other tanks.

 

IIRC it does it by p2p communication outside game.  A bad thing IMO because It's one small step to then start communicating with enemy players and giving your team positions.



Jigabachi #6 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17858 battles
  • 18,583
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

It's a part of XVM which shows you what equipment is mounted on other tanks.

Sooo... XVM finally became a real cheatmod. Good. Can we ban it now?



unhappy_bunny #7 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 17926 battles
  • 2,471
  • [-OC-] -OC-
  • Member since:
    08-01-2012
is it by any chance showing which tanks have the "enhanced equipment" gained from Ranked Battles? 

Homer_J #8 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • 29,000
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 02 August 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

is it by any chance showing which tanks have the "enhanced equipment" gained from Ranked Battles? 

 

If it's what I think it is then it shows any equipment but the other player has to have the same XVM feature enabled.

 

You are then trusting the makers of XVM not to create a premium service relaying this and any other information to players in the other team.  How many of you have the abilities to check on what they are actually doing?



Spurtung #9 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61598 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

 

If it's what I think it is then it shows any equipment but the other player has to have the same XVM feature enabled.

 

You are then trusting the makers of XVM not to create a premium service relaying this and any other information to players in the other team.  How many of you have the abilities to check on what they are actually doing?

 

The thing is, it's WG relaying that information in the first place, as nobody but yourself should know what equipment or skills you have.

Homer_J #10 Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • 29,000
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostSpurtung, on 02 August 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

 

The thing is, it's WG relaying that information in the first place, as nobody but yourself should know what equipment or skills you have.

 

It's nothing at all to do with WG.

 

It's one player with XVM relaying it to other players with XVM.

 

i.e. You know what equipment you have mounted and you are passing that info directly to other players in the same battle, the communication is coordinated by XVM.

 

If you don't have XVM then the other players can't see what you have and XVM users can't see what players without XVM have.



Spurtung #11 Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61598 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

 

It's nothing at all to do with WG.

 

It's one player with XVM relaying it to other players with XVM.

 

i.e. You know what equipment you have mounted and you are passing that info directly to other players in the same battle, the communication is coordinated by XVM.

 

If you don't have XVM then the other players can't see what you have and XVM users can't see what players without XVM have.

 

I see, I was thinking it was a mod that showed other people's equipment, I'll try to find a video with it.

Homer_J #12 Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • 29,000
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostSpurtung, on 02 August 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

 

I see, I was thinking it was a mod that showed other people's equipment, 

 

It is.  But only if they have the same mod and it's nothing to do with WG.

Spurtung #13 Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61598 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

 

It is.  But only if they have the same mod and it's nothing to do with WG.

 

Yes, but this other one had nothing to do with XVM, it showed everybody's, as well as their reloads.

Homer_J #14 Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • 29,000
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostSpurtung, on 02 August 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

 

Yes, but this other one had nothing to do with XVM, it showed everybody's, as well as their reloads.

 

I don't think it's possible any other way and reload mods are only allowed to be estimates.

Spurtung #15 Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61598 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

 

I don't think it's possible any other way and reload mods are only allowed to be estimates.

 

I sent you a PM, as posting links to illegal mods is against the point 5. of the forum rules.

I obviously don't condone the existence of such things, and find it absolutely disgusting that data that should be private to an account can be accessed by others.



Homer_J #16 Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • 29,000
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

OK then the jury is out on whether this can be done using information the standard game provides.  If it can then it certainly falls under the "information not readily available" heading and should therefore be banned as are direction indicators outside render range and accurate reload timers (in theory).

 

Why WG would waste bandwidth sending such information between clients is a mystery to me though.  Surely you don't need to know if someone has a camo net if the server makes all spotting calculations.



Browarszky #17 Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 16031 battles
  • 3,538
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
  • Member since:
    12-03-2013

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

OK then the jury is out on whether this can be done using information the standard game provides.  If it can then it certainly falls under the "information not readily available" heading and should therefore be banned as are direction indicators outside render range and accurate reload timers (in theory).

 

Why WG would waste bandwidth sending such information between clients is a mystery to me though.  Surely you don't need to know if someone has a camo net if the server makes all spotting calculations.

 

No wonder everyone is complaining about lag....

WindSplitter1 #18 Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:30 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 15544 battles
  • 2,290
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

View PostJigabachi, on 02 August 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

Sooo... XVM finally became a real cheatmod. Good. Can we ban it now?

 

this.

Emeraldweed #19 Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 8880 battles
  • 857
  • [-322-] -322-
  • Member since:
    05-14-2012
so now we will have the '' oh you noob you use binocs on a heavy'' kind of chat aswell.... great!

jabster #20 Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12532 battles
  • 22,811
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostHomer_J, on 02 August 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

OK then the jury is out on whether this can be done using information the standard game provides.  If it can then it certainly falls under the "information not readily available" heading and should therefore be banned as are direction indicators outside render range and accurate reload timers (in theory).

 

Why WG would waste bandwidth sending such information between clients is a mystery to me though.  Surely you don't need to know if someone has a camo net if the server makes all spotting calculations.

 

I've not seen the mod myself so can't comment on that but I wouldn't be surprised if the server sent data that was not strictly necessary. Someone who was taking the position of I'll not send what isn't needed instead of I'll only send what is needed; a feature that was planned to be implemented but wasn't; someone who choose to do it the easy way not the right way.

 

Wasn't it in the early days that the client actually knew where all tanks were and the server then said whether they were spotted?






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users