Help with KV-3

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

NecroFlex #1 Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:39 AM

Private

• Player
  • 3245 battles
  • [PWU] PWU

First off, how f***ed am i with this garbage tank?

Ok now for real, why is the KV-3 so bad? His hull armor is crap, T7 with 130mm of upper plate armor while angled? 140mm of turret armor??? And especially, 130mm of GUN MANTLET ARMOR???

The hell is this tank? It's as big as a heavy, slow as a heavy, has a big gun as a heavy but everything else screams medium...the T6 gun i have atm has 167mm of pen, that can go trough my tank 100% of the time, that's how bad the armor is.

I tried to see if it's a hulldown tank, like the IS line...nope, Tiger 1 with his normal shells went straight trough my gun mantlet 3 times in a row...i really don't understand this tank. T-150 was amazing for its tier, but this...this is just bad...please someone tell me how can i play this tank...i just wanna get the KV-4 even tho looking at tanksgg it's not that much better but it's a step forward towards the good tanks.

Thanks in advance for help.

GekkoGordon #2 Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:25 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3418 battles
It's a sidescraper, if you can't sidescrape always angle your tank....and you're still grinding, it's a new tank once it's upgraded...

NecroFlex #3 Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:40 AM

Private

• Player
  • 3245 battles
  • [PWU] PWU

View PostGekkoGordon, on 05 August 2017 - 02:25 AM, said:

It's a sidescraper, if you can't sidescrape always angle your tank....and you're still grinding, it's a new tank once it's upgraded...

i tried to sidescrape, but the turret is so bad you can get penned by anything trough it, 140mm of flat armor and gun mantlet isn't a lot for T7 and no amount of sidescraping will make it good. I have the upgraded turret, now i'm working on getting a better engine and gun, but that won't change hoe the turret is :(

GekkoGordon #4 Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3418 battles

View PostNecroFlex, on 05 August 2017 - 04:40 AM, said:

i tried to sidescrape, but the turret is so bad you can get penned by anything trough it, 140mm of flat armor and gun mantlet isn't a lot for T7 and no amount of sidescraping will make it good. I have the upgraded turret, now i'm working on getting a better engine and gun, but that won't change hoe the turret is :(

Then be extra careful against good players, as not many know about the turret cheeks. I've once held down a flank while sidescraping against ST-I, IS-3 and something else a long time ago like a year or two, as they were constantly shooting everywhere except my turret cheek. Blocked like 3k damage.

It will never be a T29 tho, so you will have to deal with it and KV-4 will be paper against good players too (everyone will shoot the turret or big machine gun on top, theres 180mm armor on the turret and like 140 on the machine gun)

Edited by GekkoGordon, 05 August 2017 - 06:54 AM.

Suurpolskija #5 Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16418 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

Pretty much the same as the regular IS:

Sidescrape.

Hit things.

Don't get hit by things.

The armor is a lie on this and many other tanks.

wsatnutter #6 Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:26 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 23972 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
Power creep and op tanks in the prem shop have ruined this tank.I loved playing mine but like the tiger 2 it's been forgotten. There are rumours that the KV line is going to get buffed. However I think that is wishful thinking. 

Bennie182 #7 Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50301 battles

First of all, you didn't do that great in your T-150, because you received more damage then you dealt on average. There's room for improvement there. It's not the tank that sucks, it's you in it, without trying to brag you. I have some tanks I suck in as well and I know other players can do great in it, happens.

KV-3 is a great tank. One of the best I've played. Probably your crew isn't 100% yet, which means the accuracy is less then trash. On paper that gun is .45 so it will fire now like a derp gun. Focus on getting a good gun first, and play the tank as a support. Wait for enemies to take a shot at someone and then take yours.

Sidescraping can work really well, but if you sidescrape and then aim for ages, your enemies will have the time to aim on weakspots and take you down. This means you will need patience on getting the crew full. Also use personal reserves to add xp and play a series of games in it. Playing a tank for a longer time will help you get to know it and you will probably play better after some time.

I did the same in my TVP VTU, which most people say is trash. Well.. the tank is not trash, but ok. Most games in which I didn't get much was simply because of trash teams, not because the tank performed bad. I've had enough games being on top of xp and even damage in high tier games with it, because the team just melted. After some time I got used in playing it to it's strenghts. That helped a lot. Hope this might help a bit.

NecroFlex #8 Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3245 battles
  • [PWU] PWU

View PostGekkoGordon, on 05 August 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

Then be extra careful against good players, as not many know about the turret cheeks. I've once held down a flank while sidescraping against ST-I, IS-3 and something else a long time ago like a year or two, as they were constantly shooting everywhere except my turret cheek. Blocked like 3k damage.

It will never be a T29 tho, so you will have to deal with it and KV-4 will be paper against good players too (everyone will shoot the turret or big machine gun on top, theres 180mm armor on the turret and like 140 on the machine gun)

Problem is that the whole front of the turret is bad, be it the cheeks or the gun mantlet so they can just shoot anywhere on the front of your turret and it'll go trough. Yeah, figured the KV-4 will be the same but hey, atleast i got a really good tank waiting for me at T9 right?

View Postwsatnutter, on 05 August 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

Power creep and op tanks in the prem shop have ruined this tank.I loved playing mine but like the tiger 2 it's been forgotten. There are rumours that the KV line is going to get buffed. However I think that is wishful thinking. 

We can dream, atm the KV-3 just looks like a bigger version of the KV-1 with a round turret. Hope it gets a small buff, atleast to it's turret armor :(

View PostBennie182, on 05 August 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

First of all, you didn't do that great in your T-150, because you received more damage then you dealt on average. There's room for improvement there. It's not the tank that sucks, it's you in it, without trying to brag you. I have some tanks I suck in as well and I know other players can do great in it, happens.

KV-3 is a great tank. One of the best I've played. Probably your crew isn't 100% yet, which means the accuracy is less then trash. On paper that gun is .45 so it will fire now like a derp gun. Focus on getting a good gun first, and play the tank as a support. Wait for enemies to take a shot at someone and then take yours.

Sidescraping can work really well, but if you sidescrape and then aim for ages, your enemies will have the time to aim on weakspots and take you down. This means you will need patience on getting the crew full. Also use personal reserves to add xp and play a series of games in it. Playing a tank for a longer time will help you get to know it and you will probably play better after some time.

I did the same in my TVP VTU, which most people say is trash. Well.. the tank is not trash, but ok. Most games in which I didn't get much was simply because of trash teams, not because the tank performed bad. I've had enough games being on top of xp and even damage in high tier games with it, because the team just melted. After some time I got used in playing it to it's strenghts. That helped a lot. Hope this might help a bit.

Just cause i didn't do great in my T-150 doesn't mean it wasn't fun to play. In all the games i played i only lost my nerve in 3 or 4, mostly cause i got spammed on with gold shells. With the KV-3 every game i go i get penned to  my gun mantlet and ofc i'll be mad, cause you know, this is supposed to be a heavy tank :(

I don't aim for long, i go reverse, aim for like a second just so that my aim circle isn't the size of the screen and shoot and go forward again. I do know how to sidescrape, still need to learn a trick or two but problem is that the whole front of the turret is a weakspot, the enemy doesn't really need to aim much to hit it. I feel like it's more of a support tank with a high dmg gun when you unlock it. I have to play it like i did my FCM, tho it really feels like the FCM has more armor than the KV-3 :/

Suurpolskija #9 Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16418 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

View PostNecroFlex, on 05 August 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Problem is that the whole front of the turret is bad, be it the cheeks or the gun mantlet so they can just shoot anywhere on the front of your turret and it'll go trough. Yeah, figured the KV-4 will be the same but hey, atleast i got a really good tank waiting for me at T9 right?

Hope you've gotten BL-9 from IS-3 before starting ST-1. ;) Gonna be a long stock grind otherwise with 175mm pen...

1ucky #10 Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 67509 battles
As people have said, try either angling or not getting shot too much.

I'd just add 2 things to that:
1.) You can angle the turret too, not just the hull.
2.) Considering armor strength, it really depends a lot on the opponents, i.e. if they have high pen guns or not. Or in other words, if you're able to find some lower tier (stock?) tanks to bully or not.

=> Use your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses, if possible, - as always.
Good Luck ;)

NecroFlex #11 Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3245 battles
  • [PWU] PWU

View PostSuurpolskija, on 05 August 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

Hope you've gotten BL-9 from IS-3 before starting ST-1. ;) Gonna be a long stock grind otherwise with 175mm pen...

Umm, rip, nope, don't have the IS-3 at all, should i be scared? :S

View Post1ucky, on 05 August 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

As people have said, try either angling or not getting shot too much.

I'd just add 2 things to that:
1.) You can angle the turret too, not just the hull.
2.) Considering armor strength, it really depends a lot on the opponents, i.e. if they have high pen guns or not. Or in other words, if you're able to find some lower tier (stock?) tanks to bully or not.

=> Use your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses, if possible, - as always.
Good Luck ;)

1. i know but it's not exactly round but i'll try

2. i mean at T7 unless you're fighting T5 mostly anything will be able to pen you there, 140mm of armor isn't a lot and even T5's w/o premium can pen u there, quite a few of them.

I always try but it doesn't work all the time :D

GekkoGordon #12 Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3418 battles
Yeah the T9 is great, however expect a lot of gold ammo slinging at you by stronk 330 heat shells

lord_chipmonk #13 Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32183 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

For what it is worth, I'll leave this here. 

Comrade_Renamon #14 Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9433 battles

Used to be way better when it was T6 with that armour (and imho I don't see why they couldn't put it back there, it is not harder to pen than say an O-I and could lose the gun), the armour is kinda devalued with all the high pen tanks that gotten into the game. Not to mention WG never addressed one of the issues with the tank, why did it not get the 100mm buffs the IS got is beyond me.

The mantlet weak spot and the cheeks have always been there, but in my experience everything penning it just does not happen that often. It was some time ago since I last played it, with the T7 discount I might just get it back for old times sake (was my first T7 learning tank and I enjoyed it quite a lot).

View PostNecroFlex, on 05 August 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

Umm, rip, nope, don't have the IS-3 at all, should i be scared? :S

1. i know but it's not exactly round but i'll try

2. i mean at T7 unless you're fighting T5 mostly anything will be able to pen you there, 140mm of armor isn't a lot and even T5's w/o premium can pen u there, quite a few of them.

175mm pen at T9 is fun...no, if you do not plan to go down the IS-3 line try and get enough free exp to get the gun.

Also there are not many T5's that will reliably go through the turret (with 25% pen RNG) with premium they still need to hit those small areas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users