Artillery Deployment

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

WilhelmII #1 Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 32396 battles
  • [AT2] AT2

There have been many moans and groans about Arty from all angles, like it or not, Arty has its rightful place on any battlefield, without it, outcomes of any battle can and and will be differently determined.

That being said there are some maps which should never allow the use of Tracked Med/Heavy Arty, these being the town and city based maps, where this type of artillery would never realistically be deployed let alone used, the only arty used in these situations would be Light Guns/Howitzers which are not available making any Arty use either very limited or basically useless.

Could this be looked at as it is frustrating for both the arty player, where they can hardly sight any target, or the other team players who are asking for Arty support but do not get it as a result of Line of sight being denied, Resulting in all getting annoyed with arty, but in these cases it is the fault of the map as opposed to the ability of the player which is the issue.

Edited by WilhelmII, 05 August 2017 - 03:41 PM.

Sfinski #2 Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29741 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostWilhelmII, on 05 August 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

There have been many moans and groans about Arty from all angles, like it or not, Arty has its rightful place on any battlefield, without it, outcomes of any battle can and and will be differently determined.

That being said there are some maps which should never allow the use of Tracked Med/Heavy Arty, these being the town and city based maps, where this type of artillery would never realistically be deployed let alone used, the only arty used in these situations would be Light Guns/Howitzers which are not available making any Arty use either very limited or basically useless.

Could this be looked at as it is frustrating for both the arty player, where they can hardly sight any target, or the other team players who are asking for Arty support but do not get it as a result of Line of sight being denied, Resulting in all getting annoyed with arty, but in these cases it is the fault of the map as opposed to the ability of the player which is the issue.

And no open maps for heavies?

Jigabachi #3 Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17753 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostWilhelmII, on 05 August 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

Arty has its rightful place on any battlefield, without it, outcomes of any battle can and and will be differently determined.

I'm not an arty whiner, but arty never had a rightful place here. It started as a balancer when the game was new and crap. And until the recent changes, arty was just a relic if old times without any real purpose, except ruining the game for other players. But it was there and it added variety.

Block Quote

That being said there are some maps which should never allow the use of Tracked Med/Heavy Arty, these being the town and city based maps, where this type of artillery would never realistically be deployed let alone used, 

Realism... really?

Could you please list some things in this game that are realistic?

And why should arty get an extra treatment?

What about light tanks on town maps?

Slow tanks on open maps?

Effing_Drako #4 Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25240 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostWilhelmII, on 05 August 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

No, arty should only get city maps. So most games can be actually nice to play *edit*

Edited by Jahrakajin, 06 August 2017 - 08:38 AM.
Avoid: Insults

WindSplitter1 #5 Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14295 battles
  • [RYNO] RYNO

I actually liked the post due to the first sentence. After reading the map restriction I just had to unlike.

If you can't use an SPG in city maps, you should consider against playing the class altogether. I am very much pro-arty and it is safe to say it is finally repaired. Only a few tidbits left to trim, like Personal Missions, other balancing matters, perhaps even limiting them to 2 per side, since SPG drivers have came down, and introducing Premium SPGs.

mortalsatsuma #6 Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12657 battles
Giving arty special treatment.....yes, i'm sure that will go down well with the player-base........

Gremlin182 #7 Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45385 battles

Its not a problem really yes a city map limits artillery somewhat so they have to think about where they set up and they will only be able to fire into a limiten area of the map.

Other map types favour or hinder other types the maps are too small to realistically deploy SPGs anyway except as you say the smaller units.

City maps are a challenge for SPG players open maps with arty are a challenge for heavy tanks

Aikl #8 Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I totally agree with OP. Arty should get a special gamemode.

In this special gamemode, we mop up 24 basedefense-TDs1 and six arties and send them to Australia Malinovka. I'm dead serious - judging from how much some people love to camp the bases on open maps, it would make a lot of players extremely happy. Get the XVM guys on board as well to make it look like every non-arty player is a unicum - it'll be like chocolate-frosted sugar bomb cereal served in Coca-Cola2.

1As well as 'basedefenders' in general -  a 'TD player' isn't necessarily defined by the class of vehicle he's driving.

2: I actually can't find the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip in question, but I believe Calvin preferred chocolate milk due to carbonation.

mani_the_blyatoris #9 Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12667 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

Arty has its rightful place on any battlefield

cf0200da6fa11224965085a88ecd3b25.png

I didn't see that one coming.

_snowfIake__ #10 Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26477 battles
While my account is banned, and one other too, I started a new one and for the last few days played clicker only. When I clicked off last night my wr was at 80%  :D Can't comment on higher tier clicker play as I only got to tier 4 but so far it has been so easy. But I did have to buy beer to keep it going because after a couple of days the monotony of it was very hard to take. It is so wrong being able to just snuff out unsuspecting tanks all the way across the map without any direct line of sight...

Edited by __stupids_____, 06 August 2017 - 05:54 PM.

afellterrier #11 Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4415 battles

Granted arty in towns can be a pain to play but arty in the open is so easy to play.

Accept that you cant have one without the other and you will be the happier.

jack_timber #12 Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31180 battles

Bert's quite fun in city maps but others not. Yes historically arty wouldn't venture into cities but would be positioned on the edges...

But, unfortunately, we have accept that this is a game where u have to take the rough with the smooth. Yes it would be good to limit arty to their 'natural habitat' open maps.

BTW as this is a game played for fun, well to me it is, does it really matter about stats? Not really I like to settle down about 9pm for a few hours of playing with tanks. Win or lose can't say it bothers me in the slightest unlike some others that are driven to be the best, good luck to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users