Current map rotation.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Akazen #1 Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

Private

• Player
  • 6453 battles
  • [DATO] DATO

Before anything i want to add that Nebelburg is a good change in my opinion even though sputnik fiesta is crazy when i last played in CT.

But that doesn't change the fact that for most map rotation isn't going to change a single bit since Nebelburg or whatsitsname is Tier X exclusive, so map pool up to Tier IX has been left unchanged.

I have played only 5k games and im already sick of this repetetive gameplay. Also these small maps like Ensk, Stalingrad, Paris, Kharkov for high tiers are just a big joke for scout tanks and tank destroyers since they don't have much viable options on how to approach the angles and map itself. As for scouts i played my MT-25 for 100 or something and it matchmaking system tended to give me majority of previously mentioned maps. Out of those games i reckon only handful of games in Prokhorovka, Malinovka,  Fiery Salient, Siegfried Line, Steppes and Overlord. At the moment same goes for my LTG too. For some reason i tend to have nearly no Himmelsdorf or Winterberg (ruinberg) So it becomes repetetive and frustrating since i can't do much in those maps with my chosen tanks. I don't mean i want to have every single game on Malinovka on my scout and td so i can do huge impact on the battle.
Wouldn't it be great if some of the old maps were brought back into the map pool and some taken out for time being for reworking, redesigning, rebalancing or whatever Wargaming does these days. 

I have played only ~5500 battles and im kinda tired of current map rotation. I don't want to imagine what's it like for other players with much more time put into playing same maps over and over again.

Before y'all go about old maps being onesided or unbalanced or whatever the [edited]you are about to say. I know that they aren't perfectly balanced, but so is current maps and so is the work Wargaming's effort to actually change the game for better lmfao.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

It was actually worse before, as the Map rotation was changed a few patches back. The new map rotation at least gives you a good mix. Though keep in mind that the MM is made to make sure that you don't get the same map 3 times in a row like it was before. Or only did see 3 maps that entire day and nothing else. But it still don't take into account the different game modes. As in if you get Sand river, you can still get Sand river assault on the next game, as they are both looked at as different maps if you will.

View PostAkazen, on 07 August 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

As for scouts i played my MT-25 for 100 or something and it matchmaking system tended to give me majority of previously mentioned maps. Out of those games i reckon only handful of games in Prokhorovka, Malinovka,  Fiery Salient, Siegfried Line, Steppes and Overlord.

Was not easier before the change either. Playing LT's before trying to do LT-15 was crap. As in I could play all day and not see any of those maps, or not see them for over 200 games playing LT's. So getting a handful of them when playing LT's for 100 games is still better then before.

View PostAkazen, on 07 August 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Before y'all go about old maps being onesided or unbalanced or whatever the [edited]you are about to say. I know that they aren't perfectly balanced, but so is current maps and so is the work Wargaming's effort to actually change the game for better lmfao.

The old maps are really broken indeed. Adding those would only make it worse. And some would actually favor some of the new "balanced" premiums more so then before, or the new VK HT's etc. As some were the definition of "corridor" with zero flanking opportunities more so then what we have now, unless you drove around the entire map that is. Or just straight out HT base camping like on south coast.

Tho that said, WG are working on HD variants of all maps. And have said in the past they are considering taking back some of the old maps with a heavy rework in mind. As they did not work before. So who knows. Once the HD maps patch comes, we might see some old reworked maps in there to. 

Akazen #3 Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6453 battles
  • [DATO] DATO

View PostBalc0ra, on 07 August 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

It was actually worse before, as the Map rotation was changed a few patches back. The new map rotation at least gives you a good mix. Though keep in mind that the MM is made to make sure that you don't get the same map 3 times in a row like it was before. Or only did see 3 maps that entire day and nothing else. But it still don't take into account the different game modes. As in if you get Sand river, you can still get Sand river assault on the next game, as they are both looked at as different maps if you will.

Was not easier before the change either. Playing LT's before trying to do LT-15 was crap. As in I could play all day and not see any of those maps, or not see them for over 200 games playing LT's. So getting a handful of them when playing LT's for 100 games is still better then before.

The old maps are really broken indeed. Adding those would only make it worse. And some would actually favor some of the new "balanced" premiums more so then before, or the new VK HT's etc. As some were the definition of "corridor" with zero flanking opportunities more so then what we have now, unless you drove around the entire map that is. Or just straight out HT base camping like on south coast.

Tho that said, WG are working on HD variants of all maps. And have said in the past they are considering taking back some of the old maps with a heavy rework in mind. As they did not work before. So who knows. Once the HD maps patch comes, we might see some old reworked maps in there to. 

Thanks for in-depth answer. Appreciated. By any chance is there WG's WoT level design editor publicly available or they are keeping it for themselves for no apparent reason? I would love to see people participate in map making and best one's to be added to play for a while. Just like CS:GO for example. I ain't telling to do everything like others do. But atleast do what works well. It's a fact. There couldn't be downsides to community expanding the game itself. And removing workload from WG's employees. Those maps should still go through heavy playtesting before adding them to game even if for limited periods of times. I mean change of pace is not always a bad thing. It doesn't necessarily need to be permanent. Well that's my point of view on this matter.

Gkirmathal #4 Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8125 battles

View PostAkazen, on 07 August 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

Thanks for in-depth answer. Appreciated. By any chance is there WG's WoT level design editor publicly available or they are keeping it for themselves for no apparent reason? I would love to see people participate in map making and best one's to be added to play for a while. Just like CS:GO for example. I ain't telling to do everything like others do. But atleast do what works well. It's a fact. There couldn't be downsides to community expanding the game itself. And removing workload from WG's employees. Those maps should still go through heavy playtesting before adding them to game even if for limited periods of times. I mean change of pace is not always a bad thing. It doesn't necessarily need to be permanent. Well that's my point of view on this matter.

That is a topic that been discusses A LOT of times here. Some folks here like the idea of player designed maps, other are 100% against it.

But no, WG has got no SDK by which one can sketch up a basic map design, render it and see how it look sin game.

In 2015 or 2016 Wargaming showed a video (and some new maps that were never released) of how they make maps and it showed a very inefficient way of designing their maps. From memory they use Maya to fully make all maps in, manually placing all game world objects besides foliage. Foliage (trees and bushes) can seemingly be placed  via algorithmic placement within Maya based on ground texture preferences and manually edited after placement for fine tuning.

Come 2017 and I do not know if they have made their map design more efficient, for instance with heightmap terrain generation etc. It seems they have not though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users