How to effectively play // How to grind 'effectively'

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Jario5615 #1 Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8151 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

This is somewhat of a two part question, but they go hand in hand. 

This is a question that has probably been asked hundreds of time, but how can you actually play effectively in the game? I wouldn't call myself an absolute noob, but I'm by no means a decent player. I probably screw up as much as I do well. I do have enough experience to know by now that effective play varies per class, and more so per tank. But, there must be some general rules in gameplay that can be applied to most scenarios. I've heard phrases like 'Reverse Sidescraping' and all that jazz, but if someone could spell it out it simple black and white, that would be very much appreciated.

As a side question, what vehicles would be considered effective for grinding experience (and perhaps credits) in that are not premium. I've read several threads on this subject but they are out of date, mainly due to rejigglements of the tech tree, predominately the recent light tank shuffle. Any relatively good vehicles at grinding for this purpose?

(If it helps, I do have Churchill III, T34-85M, and SU-122-44 as premiums, but they never seem that effective at grinding - I don't know much to do with it in respects of the 85M, as I only got it in the recent marathon)

tankqull #2 Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20928 battles
  • [-FD-] -FD-

as you said you donot want to invest money (by excluding Premium tanks) you excluded any way of grinding free XP thus you have to grind the tank them selves XP wise.

money wise without premium tanks and acc youll need to play tier 5 and 6 tanks as they generate the biggest revenues. thus your t34-85 m is the way to go.

in case of simplifying effective game play - survive while generating dmg either on your own or by creating spot dmg.

reverse side scraping - is  simple you sidescrape a corner with your front aiming away from your opponent. that way your turret is on the back of your tank wich allows you to utilize a flatter angle increasing your effective side armor(auto ricochet) while not presenting as much front (respective in that case back) hull armor

iztok #3 Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

There are many sites that offer beginners' guides and even videos. Some "clans" even offer training for beginners.

BTW welcome out of noob stage. :)

Edited by iztok, 08 August 2017 - 11:38 AM.

Jigabachi #4 Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well. To cover the basics, there are many good sources aleady available.

The wiki is a must-read, because the game doesn't explain anything:

http://wiki.wargamin...attle_Mechanics

And then you have Youtube tutorials. The first one is rather old and basic, but still useful. The second one is a whole series made by WG themselves:

laulaur #5 Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46660 battles
  • [BLAUR] BLAUR

You want to grind a line?

Activate premium account, activate personal XP reserves and play.

You want to grind credits?

Activate premium account, activate personal credits reserve and play your T34-85M ans SU-122-44 (Churchill is kinda meh, i dont like it)

Edited by laulaur, 08 August 2017 - 11:43 AM.

StinkyStonky #6 Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 28408 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

Join WOT-UNI.  They will teach you how to play.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/545320-wot-university-training-sessions-for-everyone/

I know you're sceptical so start by just going to one of their training sessions.  They hold them every week and you don't have to be a member of the clan.

As to directly answering your questions ...

Use your premiums to grind crew and credits.  Don't grind "experience" (unless you're a wallet warrior who wants to buy everything.

You have the ST-I, the IS-3 and the KV-2, so your most played tank should be your Churchill 3.  That will grind all three of your crews (and when you get the T-10 - which is awesome BTW, you'll want another crew as you'll want to keep the IS-3) and grind you credits.  It's an awesome tank.

But if you want to learn how to play them, to do more damage, get more XP, more credits, a higher win rate and better stats .... get yourself down to wot-uni.

Hedgehog1963 #7 Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51284 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
The very fact you are asking questions is promising.

uglycousin #8 Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45136 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostHedgehog1963, on 08 August 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

The very fact you are asking questions is promising.

I was just about to say that. :) That is the very first step towards playing better. :)

Suurpolskija #9 Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO
You got some solid mid tier premiums right there. Give t-34-85m a go, too. It's a very nice mid tier med.

As for non-premium mid tier earners, (except for the obvious "what ever you do well in @ tier5-6"):

T-150: solid anglable tier6 heavy with good alpha & pen
Bdr g1 b: high alpha tier5 with low shell cost.
Pretty much any derp: do dmg every shot, pz 4h, m4 and O-I are all well presented @ vbaddict.

But you'll do more credits with your premiums.

Also make a good use of the crews on your premiums: you can use any crew in your premiums as long as they're same faction & class, so for example, put your St-1 crew into churchill and soviet Mt crew into T-34-85m. Having a crew trained solely for the premium tank is a waste.

Jario5615 #10 Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8151 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

I think the information on the vehicles I own may be slightly inaccurate; I haven't owned the ST-1 for a long while now (and have nowhere near enough credits to regain it) and I haven't had a soviet mt for a while either. I'd actually like either of the mts (don't know if t34-85 or A-44 is better to start from) and the ST-1 would be nice, but I'm sure if I'm qualified to use a T9 tank yet. (Its the whole reason why I sold it in the first place).

For reference, here's the tanks I have, and which tanks I'm grinding for:

T-50 -> LT-100 (well all the soviet LTs are pretty nice tbh)

KV-2 (Just keep it for fun mostly)

IS-3 -> T-10 (and eventually IS-7 maybe)

SU-152 -> ISU-152 (might switch/also get other line cos I prefer obj. 263 as a td)

Cromwell -> Centurion AX (cos patriotism)

Alecto -> FV215b 183 (cos death star)

Grant -> Firefly (main reason for wanting the free xp; hate the grant)

VK 30.01 H -> Panther (one of my fav tanks - the panther not the meh 30.01)

Ikv 65 II -> 103B (liked the sweedish tds on common test, rather nice to have accuracy)

Looking from that, I may be grinding too many tanks...

Suurpolskija #11 Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

View PostJario5615, on 08 August 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

That sure is many. :) You'd progress faster and train crews faster if you'd focus on maybe 3-4 lines max at the time. It'll also eat through your credits quite fast if you need to buy a lot of tanks in a short time and make the game just sort of credit grind. Stop for a minute, train crews and enjoy your tanks, because there's quite a few keepers in your list, too!

Save the crommy, train a good crew in it. Who knows if you get into Strongholds etc later on?

T-50, Alecto, IS-3 and KV-2 are all very nice tanks too. If you enjoy those, they'll bring loads of credits to you in time without you feeling like grinding. Just play them for fun every now and then. :)

Edited by Suurpolskija, 08 August 2017 - 02:55 PM.

Captain_Kremen0 #12 Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37279 battles
You are at a sweet spot in the game before it becomes hard work at tier 8 - enjoy it!

Laatikkomafia #13 Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 21325 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P

View PostJario5615, on 08 August 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

I think the information on the vehicles I own may be slightly inaccurate; I haven't owned the ST-1 for a long while now (and have nowhere near enough credits to regain it) and I haven't had a soviet mt for a while either. I'd actually like either of the mts (don't know if t34-85 or A-44 is better to start from) and the ST-1 would be nice, but I'm sure if I'm qualified to use a T9 tank yet. (Its the whole reason why I sold it in the first place).

For reference, here's the tanks I have, and which tanks I'm grinding for:

T-50 -> LT-100 (well all the soviet LTs are pretty nice tbh)

KV-2 (Just keep it for fun mostly)

IS-3 -> T-10 (and eventually IS-7 maybe)

SU-152 -> ISU-152 (might switch/also get other line cos I prefer obj. 263 as a td)

Cromwell -> Centurion AX (cos patriotism)

Alecto -> FV215b 183 (cos death star)

Grant -> Firefly (main reason for wanting the free xp; hate the grant)

VK 30.01 H -> Panther (one of my fav tanks - the panther not the meh 30.01)

Ikv 65 II -> 103B (liked the sweedish tds on common test, rather nice to have accuracy)

Let me help you. I marked down the lines you can already stop grinding, Either the tanks you get are bad, or the grinds are so awful you will lose your sanity thrice before reaching the tank you want. And the Grant is a keeper, tier 10 MT DPM at tier 4 :izmena:

You should not bother about reverse sidescraping, as the tactic is way too situational. You should be focusing on improving your positioning, map awareness and basic armor and penetration mechanics instead.

When I grind a line (that I rarely do anymore), slap those personal reserves on, buy a case of beer and try to survive.

Edited by Laatikkomafia, 08 August 2017 - 06:50 PM.

Aikl #14 Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25552 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

If you're trying to learn things, it should be more effective to not play multiple tanks at once. That might not be the most fun option, but once you're done getting to grips with one playstyle you should be fine to move on.

Oh, and try to avoid TDs that has to camp to be effective unless you find it extremely pleasing to play passively. Same goes for some of the tanks that are arguably powercrept; it's a bother to play them at the moment, and there's no reason to suffer through a grind for a meager T10 tank. KV-4 and the French TD line are two examples.

(Going for at least one somewhat overpowered line might be useful, though. Japanese and German superheavies might be broken, but are oh so relaxing to play once in a while compared to "normal" heavies that have to aim or angle. :rolleyes: ;)

shishx_the_animal #15 Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:17 AM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 31059 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

Regarding credits:

Your tanks (T34-85M and SU) are more than perfect for a nice grind, both have good guns that don't require premium ammo spam. The TD has a nice 390 alpha gun that shoots fast and melts those heavies away. I would stick with those instead of buying a new Tier 8 premium or similiar. If you ever get a chance to buy the E25, I'd recommend that in a heartbeat.

Regarding grinding:

- Save your free experience and use it wisely! Never use it to unlock a tank or useless equipment (Radio). Try to save free experience until you get to Tier 8 and 9 so you can quickly get the top gun. Stock grinds at those tiers are awful and can cause a lot of frustration.

- If you play heavies, go on YouTube and actually learn about sidescraping. That will save your butt on city maps a lot of times.

- Enlarge your minimap and pay attention to it throughout the game.

- Those 30 seconds before the game? Most important time in the battle where half of the game course can be predicted. Check the enemy lineup, try to anticipate where are they going to go and act accordingly. For example: Himmelsdorf and the enemy has a lot of heavies, it's going to be hard fighting in the center or in those long streets with little cover.

- When you shoot try to zoom out every once in a while. Tunnel vision is dreadful and fast tanks can easily sneak up on you and flank you. Pay attention to the minimap.

- Count the seconds of the enemy reload and trade wisely. If you see a nasty IS3 or some other heavy, you know they reload longer. You have HP to take 2 shots? You can return him 4 and maybe circle him? That's an okay trade.

- Bait shots. Going forward and reverse at the far ledge of an obstacle will trigger most players to shoot. You have enough time to poke out and give him one before returning to safety.

- Never YOLO. Just don't do it. It's stupid.

- Never go alone. If you see yourself with only one teammate and 4-5 enemy tanks on the opponsing side going your way. Retreat. You will get insults like: "Camper, Coward" but you get to shoot a few more shells before dying like a complete bot.

- Use premium ammo when needed. If you're in a 1on1 engagement with a heavily armored tank and you can't pen but you know you can with premium ammo. Don't be that whiner about premium ammo but just kill that guy and potentially win the game for your team. I don't mean spamming it though.

- Try to play sessions of 1-10 games. Your focus is going down the drain after each battle and taking breaks is vital. I usually play 1-5 then stop for a bit. Then play the same amount again.

- Stop playing if you see you're losing games too much (3-5 games in a row).

- Most importantly: Find your favorite tank and play similiar tanks. No point in forcing yourself and grinding tanks you don't actually enjoy playing. If you like the T67 and the whole forum tags you as a statpadder, so Fing what.

- Good luck!

PowJay #16 Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35446 battles

To all those who go on about a toxic forum: If a bad player comes here to whine, he gets an unpleasant reception. In this thread we see a great example of what happens if you come here ASKING FOR HELP. Well done, OP, for ASKING and not WHINING. :great:

First of all you mention "grinding" several times. Grinding is normally used to refer to playing a vehicle which is not fully upgraded and/or which is unpleasant to play. e.g. I found the Jagdpanzer IV something of a grind, but I (still) LOVE the Jagdpanther, so it was worth it. You use this term in reference to Premium tanks. You can't grind Premium tanks, so I am a little lost on EXACTLY what you mean here.

Next: I see that you are at tier IX already. STOP! NOW! You are clearly not good enough to maintain high tier play and you are going to lose credits by the bucket-load. The credit system in this game forces all but the very best players to either pay for Premium tanks/account to make credits, or to play mid tiers (V/VI) to top up the bank. You are not the very best and I can imagine that you are losing thousands in every battle. Slow down and learn the game first.

I can see that you are improving and have some good performance figures for a few of your vehicles. I note that three of your best are Soviet TDs. I like them as well. Despite these three being non-turret TDs, like me, you are doing OK in them. Keep at it.

You don't seem to be performing well in HTs. They are not my favourites either. The armour can be deceptive when you come up against a player who knows what's what. The expectation is that you will always be on the front line, pushing, but a combination of good play and Premium ammo will ensure that the armour suddenly seems to be like paper, while the speed does not allow you to run away. I hoped to see better in your medium tanks, but no.

The top and bottom of it is that you do need to learn more about the game but, hey: that's why your here.

Quite simply: you need to live longer and do more. You do that by effectively using armour, concealment and cover and by knowing where to shoot even the toughest enemies. Carry five rounds, for example, of Premium ammo in any tank that you feel underperforms sometimes. It might make that game-changing difference.

Take the advice offered by others: watch the WoT videos, read the Wiki and drop in on the best players as named elsewhere, to see what they do. Stop with the higher tiers. Stick in the middle- say V to VII for now- where it is easy to make credits with half-decent play, and try to learn from your mistakes. Dammit, but there are battles where I wish I could do that. :hiding:

Good luck.

Edited by PowJay, 09 August 2017 - 08:14 AM.

uglycousin #17 Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45136 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostPowJay, on 09 August 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

To all those who go on about a toxic forum: If a bad player comes here to whine, he gets an unpleasant reception. In this thread we see a great example of what happens if you come here ASKING FOR HELP. Well done, OP, for ASKING and not WHINING. :great:

Isn't it amazing how out of place normal behaviour looks when you look at countless forum posts containing loads and loads of nonsense? :)

P.S. heck, Shishx even abstained from the classic Fort Knox joke and gave a very detailed advice on getting better. :great: 

Captain_Kremen0 #18 Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37279 battles

As the last 2 posts.

The mid tiers is where you learn and earn, plus it's where your crews can get better with perks and such. 6th sense for commander is nice too and can get you out of trouble in good time against MOST of the player base.

And don't forget the "accelerate crew training" button. Even when ive researched a new tank fully I look at my crew and if they're nearly on a new skill/perk finish it in the old tank even if it's a duffer and you're drooling for that Jagdpanther to pick a non random example from above (actually I liked JP4, and also my non too popular SU85).

Also as ShishX said - make that map as big as you can

Igor_BL #19 Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39611 battles
  • [GX] GX

View Postshishx_the_animal, on 09 August 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

- Enlarge your minimap and pay attention to it throughout the game.

- Those 30 seconds before the game? Most important time in the battle where half of the game course can be predicted. Check the enemy lineup, try to anticipate where are they going to go and act accordingly. For example: Himmelsdorf and the enemy has a lot of heavies, it's going to be hard fighting in the center or in those long streets with little cover.

Those are meaby two most important things that new players skip/ignore/overlook.
And, yeah, dont grind too many lines, you will stuck because of credits, soon.

Laatikkomafia proposed good line to keep grinding. LT's are fun to play, but they are hard to play good.
For start, focus on HT and some MT. They are most "forgiving". you have armor, hp, and usually good penetrations.

those premiums are quite nice for earning... tier7 are great now, they get fantastic MM. I grind 2 tier7's lately, top tier majority of time.

Plus: for earning credits and/or boosting fresh crew - you can play tier6 strongholds.
With clan or as legioner. With fast games, you earn a lot in short period of time.
unlike randoms, you will not see tier7&8, and you almost dont need any premium ammo. regular ammo on tier6 are usually just fine.

shishx_the_animal #20 Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 31059 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

View Postuglycousin, on 09 August 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

Isn't it amazing how out of place normal behaviour looks when you look at countless forum posts containing loads and loads of nonsense? :)

P.S. heck, Shishx even abstained from the classic Fort Knox joke and gave a very detailed advice on getting better. :great: 

Someone mentioned Fort Knox? :hiding:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users