best tank in game its so cute.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

FluffyRedFox #1 Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

General

• Player
  • 26072 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF

The M22 Locust, a tier 3 American light tank premium that you can get your hands on for a measly 900 gold from the in-game tech tree. In my opinion, this is the most fun tank in all of the world of tenky tenky tenks and my favourite vehicle to play. Some people say I have too much of an obsession with this tank, and to those people I say: "F*ck off Search!"

Anyway, if you've never seen or heard of the Locust before, I'll break it down as to why this may make a worthy purchase.

The Gun

The Locusts gun comes in the form of a 37mm M6 with 40 alpha and 56 pen on the standard AP shell and 78 on the APCR shell. The APCR shell is pretty cheap at 800 credits so you can afford to spam a few shells a game willy nilly and still come out with a small profit, my loadout being 25/25 AP/APCR after the 9.18 matchmaking changes whilst before the changes where tier 3 still saw tier 5, I had full APCR. 56/78mm of pen is pretty poor compared to its other tier 3 light tank contemporaries, only really beating the Pz 1C and T-26, while being around about on par with a few other Russian lights, in addition to the AMX 38 and the Ke-Ni. Compared to the other lights of the tier, it looses out by quite a bit. So, if it looses out on penetration and barely keeps up with damage, does this gun shine in other places? Well, yes. Kinda. The gun handles pretty well, 0.39 base accuracy and a 1.64 second aiming time, coupled with very comfortable soft stats makes the Locusts gun very fast aiming and accurate on the move with great snapshotting potential. Even at a modest distance, you'll be surprised with the shots you'll hit sometimes, and at closer ranges there is no need to stop and aim at all. The other great aspect of the gun is the elevation and depression angles, from 30* to -10*, which makes it difficult to find a hill you can't play hulldown on and makes the tank a whole lot more comfortable.

One other rather large downside to the gun is the ammo capacity. 50 rounds of 40 alpha goes surprisingly fast, especially considering the fast reload as you'll get through all your ammo in just over a minute and a half. It does kinda hamper the carry potential of the tank when you're cleaning up late-game and all of a sudden your gun stops firing when you're circling someone  this has happened to me on more than a few occasions ...

The Mobility

Welp, its a light tank, this is what it was built to do - Boom and zoom around the battlefield, and the Locust does this pretty well. 27.75 power to weight puts it very nicely on the high end, being beaten by the BT-7 and Pz1 C. It also sits behind those two in forwards speed at 64km/h, but it beats all other light tanks in this area. The only downside to the mobility is kinda a biggie, it turns like a beached whale. Its like a light tank version of the Pz T25 in this regard, although not quite as bad but its still quite noticeable and takes a bit of getting used to. However, it doesn't limit the Locusts ability to circle strafe other tanks, and generally mediums, heavies and even some light tanks won't be able to keep up with you whilst you pump shot after shot into them.

The Armour

Light tanks aren't exactly well known for their stronk armour, and the Locust is no exception so if you expected anything other than occasional troll bounces, you're gonna be disappointed. According to the in-game stats, the Locust has 25/13/13mm of armour on the hull and 25/25/25 on the turret. Yup, thats pretty terrible. Even worse still, whilst the paper stats say 25mm of frontal hull armour, this is kind of a lie as only the lower half of the front is 25mm, most of the bit that the enemy will be shooting at is 13mm, so even if it looks well sloped, its still pretty terrible. Like I said, don't expect many bounces. 

Its not *entirely* bad news however, there are patches of strong armour. For instance, the turret ring is 50mm which will make same tiers bounce if they don't hit it dead on, which is why its out of the ordinary for the Locust to get a damaged turret ring in battle. Also, the mantlet can be pretty troll to get through, with it ranging from 50mm thick to ~130mm in places. Again, don't rely on it but it can produce some funny results at times.

So to sum up the armour:

Can you angle against enemy tanks? You can but you won't get anything from it.

Can you sidescrape? Only against pz 1Cs. You would've been able to sidescrape against another Locust/ M3 Stuart but there is a large section of 10mm of armour on the side, which can be triple overmatched by looking at it sternly. Unless you're in a tier 2 game filled with autocannons, you'll be hard pressed to find something with a 30mm cannon or less.

Other Things

One often looked over factor of the Locust is that its a tiny vehicle and has a great camo rating so you can often get away with early spots without being spotted in return. Also taking into account that at low tiers, there are people running around with 50% crews, you can get away with quite a lot of things. 

As it is a premium, some people might be looking at the Locust for crew training purposes. At the moment I've got my Sheridan crew in the Locust and have used it to train up BIA and Camo. However, I needed to use a refer-a-friend Loader as the Locusts crew layout is Commander/Gunner/Driver so if you don't have the luxury of a random 2 skill 'Murican Loader laying around, well, erm....I have bad news for you. 

Equipment wise, I have vents and enhanced springs. The later I have because I tend to go airborne in my Locust (well it is officially called the Light Tank (Airborne), M22 :hiding:) and also due to how low tier vehicles don't have access to either v.stabs or a rammer. If I had a million credits burning a hole in my pocket, I'd go with Coated Optics and Binoculars, just to reach to view range cap. 

For crew skills:

Commander: Sixth sense - BIA - Camo

Gunner: Snapshot - BIA - Camo

Driver: Smooth Ride - BIA - Camo

Train up Camo first, then drop for the first skills, then train up camo again and so on. There aren't really anymore useful skills you can have except repairs, and situation awareness + recon on the commander, as for American Lights, the commander doubles as a radio operator. However, on the Locust, the Gunner doubles as the Loader, so if you use any Loader skills such as Safe Stowage on the Locust, these skills will be useless on any other light tank. 

Also worthy of note I guess is how the Locust compares to the other low tier tech tree premium lights, the T-15 and the T-127.

The T-15 is basically a German Locust, with the Locust being slightly better offensively as it has better pen, whilst the T-15 is better at  spotting as it has 20m higher view range. 

The T-127 is like a Locust if someone glued a riot shield on the front, made it slower, had a drunk gunner and painted a red star on the side. The Locust has a lot better gun handling, much better mobility, but looses out on a very strong upper plate and turret.

So, overall:

+Excellent gun handling in both hard and soft stats,

+Great camo,

+Good straight line speed,

+Cheap APCR,

+Amazing gun elevation and depression limits,

+Due to MM changes, will never see tier 5,

+It's so cute!

-Poor penetration, APCR shells are fine in most circumstances but tanks like Matildas and AMX 40s will give you problems,

-Turning speed could be better,

-Pretty much no armour - Pz1Cs can do considerable damage,

-Low ammunition stowage,

-Crew training is limited by lack of a loader.

Overall, a very fun tank and one that I take out whenever I've had a bad or frustrating session. 

Edited by fishbob101, 11 August 2017 - 11:36 AM.

leggasiini #2 Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 18176 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

> best tank in the game its so cute

It's so cute!

*triggered*

BIASED REVIEW

WE ALL KNOW THAT O-HO, TOG II OR FCM F1 IS CUTEST TANK IN THE EXISTENCE

Jokes aside, well written :^)

Edited by leggasiini, 08 August 2017 - 05:54 PM.

73north #3 Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39788 battles

No Argument - its a great premium , it prints credits and its great for your win rate ( and trains crews cheaply )

FluffyRedFox #4 Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

General

• Player
  • 26072 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF

View Postleggasiini, on 08 August 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

WE ALL KNOW THAT O-HO, TOG II OR FCM F1 IS CUTEST TANK IN THE EXISTENCE

I suppose that different people have wrong different perceptions of cute :trollface:

I'm tempted to use this format to write about the Crusader, T-150 and a few other tanks

Nishi_Kinuyo #5 Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 10246 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

I dare say that the Type 98 Ke-Ni is a better tankov.

https://tanks.gg/v09...ni___25.17.5__0

Spoiler

FluffyRedFox #6 Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

General

• Player
  • 26072 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 08 August 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

I dare say that the Type 98 Ke-Ni is a better tankov.

https://tanks.gg/v09...ni___25.17.5__0

Spoiler

meh

basically a better handling but less mobile Locust. Wouldn't call it better, they've each got different roles/playstyles.

CrySpy #7 Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25782 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Is this a gift tank?

Nishi_Kinuyo #8 Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 10246 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostCrySpy, on 08 August 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

Is this a gift tank?

No, it is in the regular premium shop for about €5-6 or something.

CrySpy #9 Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25782 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 08 August 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

No, it is in the regular premium shop for about €5-6 or something.

delet this

MR_FIAT #10 Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21629 battles
  • [_RBP_] _RBP_
€5.05 to be precise, also the crew layout matches the T71 which is incidentaly also incredibly good.

FluffyRedFox #11 Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

General

• Player
  • 26072 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF

View PostMR_FIAT, on 08 August 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

€5.05 to be precise

Its a 25% cheaper if you get it from the in-game tech tree rather than buying it, as the gold value of the normal package is 1,200 due to the garage slot

Search_Warrant #12 Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:48 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 28596 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF

View PostCrySpy, on 08 August 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

Is this a gift tank?

You mispronounced "sh*t" tank. its ok.. we all know locust is sh*t. :trollface:

FluffyRedFox #13 Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

General

• Player
  • 26072 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 10 August 2017 - 03:48 AM, said:

You mispronounced "sh*t" tank. its ok.. we all know locust is sh*t. :trollface:
Spoiler

WindSplitter1 #14 Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20357 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

M22 Locust in real life:

Spoiler

On-topic:

I have one. The only con is the ammunition storage.

I've played the M24 Chaffee over 1200 times and only once my rack was damaged and even then I could repair it with no problem. In the Locust, I lost it more than once in battle.

Apart from that, you better go full Skill ammo since regular AP sucks. And it's unwise not to, since premium rounds for this tank are just 800cr and we are talking about a premium vehicle. Even if only take APCR and you run out of shells, which will happen more often than not, you still make a profit.

I played it once like a total bot and got "M". Radio and View Range are of little worth, though, but workable with crew skills.

Luchs' drivers, this is for you:

Spoiler

Locust is the cutest.

FluffyRedFox #15 Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

General

• Player
  • 26072 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF

I wouldn't advise full premium ammo now as it no longer sees tier 5, its kinda overkill against most stuff you'll meet. 

I do get ammo racked in the Locust a lot, its in the left of the hull. Kinda used to this as high tier American lights also get their ammo racks knocked out a lot.

Also tagged with best, tank, in, game, its, so, cute.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users