Some tanks really struggle to penetrate tanks they face!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

jimbobjammybob #1 Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 618 battles
  • [TH1NK] TH1NK

OK here goes the thread of doom. Before you say it. Getgud, L2P etc.. I know Im a scrub..

The instance that caused me to ask opinions was me vs an AT8 British TD in my Chaffee. I was alone with 2 arty vs AT8,T150 and a Lefh French arty. The AT8 came trundling into base and I spotted him for arty to soften and then seeing he would spot them soon I deftly rolled down the hill behind him so I had his rear!! get flanked you big slow Brexit noob I hear you say right?

well I put 11 rounds into the back of that TD, cupola, rear of engine deck, rear of upper super structure.. no pens.. I tried to track him and the tracks took 3 shots to break. I was running out of ammo, dodging the enemy arty ( that thing fires fast and accurate) and of course this British hulk thwarted my efforts. as it happens time ran out...

I know this is low tier and thus unimportant to many. I know some will say press 2 but I am not using gold on this account..( it is not my only one ...)

So did I fail at WOT or is there some magic place I can actually hurt a tank like this? should I be able to pen his rear? is it simply a case of having to fire premium ammo to penetrate tanks you face sometimes? 'insert jap heavy meme here'

talk to me. ty.

qpranger #2 Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 32489 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
This is a truly shocking revelation that will force me to re-evaluate my attitude towards gameplay in WOT.

Igor_BL #3 Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39607 battles
  • [GX] GX

https://tanks.gg/tan...chaffee&vm=live

This is the model of AT8 against Chafee's gun

Whenever you found yourself in those weird situations, go to tanks.gg and look into it. You will find out why you bounced that much.

AT8 rear is 101mm, and your chafee has 96 pen.

P.S. AT8 has good armor, but two HUGE weakspots frontally. Sides and rear are not that good armored, it is the fact your chafee has low pen. majority of tier5-6 guns can pen it easily.
You could pen this big, green ,flat zone on right  side, if you knew how weak it is.
(weird, it is also 101mm on left side armor, but on right, 50ish)

Edited by Igor_BL, 09 August 2017 - 11:53 AM.

jimbobjammybob #4 Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 618 battles
  • [TH1NK] TH1NK
OK so potentially 3 places I can penetrate it. I shall consider myself educated in the extreme! thank you.

PayMore #5 Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23171 battles

View Postjimbobjammybob, on 09 August 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

(....) is it simply a case of having to fire premium ammo to penetrate tanks you face sometimes? (.....)

Its all about this! Plus convert xp for gold.

commer #6 Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38082 battles

View PostPayMore, on 09 August 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Its all about this! Plus convert xp for gold.

I don't really convert xp for gold but I do use prem ammo in some cases since you can buy it for silver since forever...

SlyMeerkat #7 Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16455 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
Sure tanks do struggle to pen other tanks but thats where you have to learn about the tank you are driving and the tank you are up against or ifs really no chance of penning even with premium ammo, best move to another location and try flanking or something? 

SABAOTH #8 Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

Major

• Player
  • 36793 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postjimbobjammybob, on 09 August 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

OK so potentially 3 places I can penetrate it. I shall consider myself educated in the extreme! thank you.

Yep, you were just shooting in the wrong place for your tank.

Usually rear is the softest spot but there are exceptions, some tanks got even stronger rear armor than frontal. :girl:

Derethim #9 Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17518 battles

OP is right about the topic's name, but this is a very bad example.

The AT-8 is a mobile bunker, it is meant to be extremely heavily armored, but some tanks which shouldn't have trouble penetrating other tanks on their tier DO struggle.

Did you ever wonder why nobody plays G1R? :D That tank is extremely broken and unbalanced. It's supposed to be a heavium and the armor sucks for anything other than tier 4, the top gun only has A POOR 100MM of penetration for example, there are many similar tanks to that one. It used to be a not-so-bad tank, but now it's just extremely underpowered on par with Churchill GC. With Churchill GC you at least penetrate anything on +2 tiers if you aim well, altough you're usually dead right after you fire. G1R? You ding every shot you fire, unless you use the stupid 105mm, which is not everyone's cup of tea. That gun is also used on the underpowered SARL and the mediocre BDR.

M7 is similar, but I did well in it, because it has +5/10 more penetration with a tier 4 gun, it's also bad though, especially if you meet a Russian heavy on the same tier.

My point is, there are tanks in the game, that haven't been balanced for ages, haven't been fixed to match their new opponents and now they just plain suck - but since WG only cares for paying customers, they don't need to fix them.

They just need to make them a painful grind, so that people shell out money to buy freeXp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users