Tank Design 101 - Lets Talk Turret Location

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20692 battles

Hi all,

When it comes to tank designs you can see that location in which a tanks turret gets mounted varies anywhere from right up at the front to all the way at the rear with others mounted somewhere close to a central position. There's even a few oddities with turrets mounted to one side and I'm just wondering what your thoughts are in which you think is the best option for successful fighting and why? Or do you find turret location of little concern and has little consequence good or bad? Is it a factor when it comes to what tank lines you grind or what tank you buy?

SABAOTH #2 Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 36437 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 09 August 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

Hi all,

When it comes to tank designs you can see that location in which a tanks turret gets mounted varies anywhere from right up at the front to all the way at the rear with others mounted somewhere close to a central position. There's even a few oddities with turrets mounted to one side and I'm just wondering what your thoughts are in which you think is the best option for successful fighting and why? Or do you find turret location of little concern and has little consequence good or bad? Is it a factor when it comes to what tank lines you grind or what tank you buy?

I believe is mostly depending where the engine is placed.

TungstenHitman #3 Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20692 battles
Personally I prefer forward mounted turrets since it gives me some sort of feeling that I can better peak out from behind a building without getting hit or peak over a hill but that also depends on gun depression which can make that pointless. I just find the rear mounted turrets awkward for some reason, like there's always another tank blocking me or in the way or something lol

Nishi_Kinuyo #4 Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7478 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Think it is a matter of balance (centre of mass) and engine placement.

MrEdweird #5 Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19348 battles
  • [CIRC2] CIRC2

Frontal positioning for best effectiveness of gun depression over hills and peeking around corners.

Mid positioning for universal effectiveness. Lots of russian MBTs.

Rear positioning for crew protection - the engine and chassis are in front of the crew, usually. Think Merkava.

Also so that the gun doesn't stick too far out as it does for Conqueror in comparison to FV215b. IIRC Conqueror had to turn the turret in order to be able to come down from ridges, because the gun would hit the ground otherwise.

In WoT, obviously good for sidescraping because it presents a minimal profile, think Maus.

Edited by MrEdweird, 09 August 2017 - 09:54 PM.

laulaur #6 Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46460 battles

It is clearly that the best turret is the one mounted in the back of the tank.

This kind of design allows you to have a whooping -3 gun depression, and makes your engine and fuel tank take all the incoming shots.

Because the best tank in this game is A-44 !!

Seriously, i hope the guys who designed this got a nice vacation in permafrost region...

lord_chipmonk #7 Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33226 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
Balance is also an issue. The FV 215b (we have it in the game as the Death Star) had a rear mounted turret as frontal turret would cause the dirty great big 183mm gun to topple the tank in normal operation. 

1ucky #8 Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 68152 battles
Rear mounted looks cooler since it's literally a more "laid back" looking design... :P

But, apart from that (and more natural sidescraping talent, as was pointed out above), to me personally the rear turret placement seems worse, in general, cause it means the engine is in the front and gets shot more often, resulting in crippled tank mobility plus more fires...

=> Forward turrets are usually much much better.

Edited by 1ucky, 10 August 2017 - 12:24 AM.

lord_chipmonk #9 Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33226 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View Post1ucky, on 10 August 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

Rear mounted looks cooler since it's literally a more "laid back" looking design... :P

But, apart from that (and more natural sidescraping talent, as was pointed out above), to me personally the rear turret placement seems worse, in general, cause it means the engine is in the front and gets shot more often, resulting in crippled tank mobility plus more fires...

=> Forward turrets are usually much much better.

Historically speaking, forward engines were seen as no bad thing. If a shots penetrates a tank, often it knocked out the tank anyway, making a damaged engine the least of your worries, and the engine might offer some protection for the crew. 

Tidal_Force #10 Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:07 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16192 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postlaulaur, on 09 August 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

This kind of design allows you to have a whooping -3 gun depression, and makes your engine and fuel tank take all the incoming shots.

Seriously, i hope the guys who designed this got a nice vacation in permafrost region...

Engine and fuel tank absorbing hits are a feature. There's less chance that frontal penetration will injure crew.

laulaur #11 Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46460 battles

View PostTidal_Force, on 10 August 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

Engine and fuel tank absorbing hits are a feature. There's less chance that frontal penetration will injure crew.

In real life yes, but this is not the ''Gameplay'' section of the forum ?

In our game we dont care about crews, they are immortals. But a broken engine and/or a fire cost credits to repair.

So engine > human lives :trollface:

lord_chipmonk #12 Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:13 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33226 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
Generally speaking, in game terms, a frontal turret is far less awkward, so preferable. 

malachi6 #13 Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 49232 battles

View Postlaulaur, on 09 August 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Of course.  Because when they designed that machine they should have known it was going o feature in a video game.

RamRaid90 #14 Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20579 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postlaulaur, on 09 August 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

No the best tank in the game is the Maus.

Oh and FWIW gun depression was very rarely a factor in tank combat. 3 degrees at a distance of 1.5km is more than enough. Bear in mind that the longest confirmed destruction of an armoured vehicle by a direct fire penetrating APFS shell is 5,100m

However, if you prefer your alternate reality where tanks ram each other and fight at 50 meter distances, please continue.

Edited by RamRaid90, 10 August 2017 - 08:14 AM.

ZlatanArKung #15 Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
I prefer front to mid mounted turrets.
Rear mounted are bad at peeking corners, bad gun depression, bad at cresting ridges etc.
Only good thing is easier side-scrape abilities. But that is not a big enough advantage to make rear mounted turrets better or desireable

laulaur #16 Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46460 battles

View Postmalachi6, on 10 August 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

Of course.  Because when they designed that machine they should have known it was going o feature in a video game.

View PostRamRaid90, on 10 August 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

No the best tank in the game is the Maus.

Oh and FWIW gun depression was very rarely a factor in tank combat. 3 degrees at a distance of 1.5km is more than enough. Bear in mind that the longest confirmed destruction of an armoured vehicle by a direct fire penetrating APFS shell is 5,100m

However, if you prefer your alternate reality where tanks ram each other and fight at 50 meter distances, please continue.

The best tank Maus? I hope you are trolling :sceptic:

And you people realize that this is the 'GAMEPLAY' section of the forum ?? 

Gameplay means speaking about this ''alternate reality''.... Correct me if i am wrong.

About that A-44, a _3 gun depression pose problems even in real life, not as bad as in this game- but it is still preferably to have a good gun depression to be able to use trenches and ridges an cover.

Do you see that are at least 2 people in that A-44 that are in FRONT of the engine? So much about crew protection...

The only really good tank with a rear mounted turret and front engine is Merkava. That thing really offers maybe the best crew protection atm, maybe surpassed just by T-14 who has a really strong armored crew capsule. But Merkava was tested in combat and proved to be really good, T-14 has not seen any combat yet.

Back on topis: Front mounted turrets are by far the best choice, middle ones are ok, rear mounted turrets the worst - they offer just a better sidescrap but force you to expose all your tank when you push after a corner or go after a ridge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users