Why no other decent online tank games?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20671 battles

Look at all them moan threads, surely there must be another online tank game and finally liberate us from the evil clutches of our WG overlords who shi* all over it's clients! Isn't there another game to take our money and then slowly turn greedy and stupid like WG? With large maps and battles that genuinely encourage long battles and less concerned about "xp" and unlocking stuff? all that whoha that sidetracks many of us from just settling down and dealing with the battle we are in.

Something like this

Jigabachi #2 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I guess because it's a still a niche game and the games we have already hold most of the players?

unhappy_bunny #3 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17926 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-
Steel Beasts is a simulator, WoT isn't. 

Homer_J #4 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There was another tank game which promised to right all of WoT's wrongs, they even recruited one of WG's biggest critics to make sure they got it just right.

What happened to that?

farko1 #5 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30106 battles
well try Armored Warfare its buggy WOT clone with modern tanks ...

farko1 #6 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30106 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 10 August 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

There was another tank game which promised to right all of WoT's wrongs, they even recruited one of WG's biggest critics to make sure they got it just right.

What happened to that?

Well they are really slow advancing because of lack of programmers ...

They had nice ideas but no implemetation.

Most players left the game .

TungstenHitman #7 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20671 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 10 August 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

I guess because it's a still a niche game and the games we have already hold most of the players?

How long has this game been around? Years apparently, 5-6? more? I find it hard to believe this game was not plagiarized by another games company but just took what parts we don't like and remove it, no arty, maybe only 10% rng, various things you will see on the whine threads.. no other game? someone missed a trick! 

View Postfarko1, on 10 August 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

well try Armored Warfare its buggy WOT clone with modern tanks ...

That's the one with aircraft and infantry? looks like too much going on at once, Is that the case?

Homer_J #8 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postfarko1, on 10 August 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Well they are really slow advancing because of lack of programmers ...

I really don't think so.

farko1 #9 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30106 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 10 August 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

That's the one with aircraft and infantry? looks like too much going on at once, Is that the case?

No AW is pure WOT clone with modern tanks . PVE mode is nice ...

Balc0ra #10 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64355 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
That's a tank "sim". And most want arcade and fast paced games. Thus that game is for a special few if you will. Then again there are ofc other games that are equally "greedy" and equally much arcade like. WOT players left us for those, and called them WOT killers. But for some odd reason, people left those when they got screwed over, and came back here.... As it's more fun when WG does it I guess. As WOT is the only game I know of that people will hate with a passion, but still stick around to play. And you can't find that any other place. So why leave?

Edited by Balc0ra, 10 August 2017 - 07:51 PM.

farko1 #11 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30106 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 10 August 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

How long has this game been around? Years apparently, 5-6? more? I find it hard to believe this game was not plagiarized by another games company but just took what parts we don't like and remove it, no arty, maybe only 10% rng, various things you will see on the whine threads.. no other game? someone missed a trick! 

Nishi_Kinuyo #12 Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7469 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Because making games iz hard yo.

Okay, maybe it isn't, but making a good game is a lot harder than making a bad one.

And out of the three main online tank games, there's one arcade, one simulatorish, and one with only modern tanks.

Even if you could get the ghraphics, and more importantly the gameplay really well done, there's the issue of infrastructure; the server clusters needed to run the game.

Which means that small companies simply cannot compete with WoT, WT or AW because they simply don't have the means of running and maintaining the servers needed to do so.

And that is assuming it'll even become popular enough to pay for itself, let alone turn a profit.

One of the reasons I returned to playing WoT was because they had added japanese tanks.

It took WT a year or two (more?) to catch up with that, and AW doesn't even have them on the horizon.

And then there's plenty of other tanks by various countries that aren't in any of the games yet; like most polish, italian, romanian, and hungarian tanks.

Having tanks from those nations in a game from the start might appeal to a niche group of people (e.g. polaks and polish tanks), for an already niche target audiance (tank enthusiasts). Meaning that they'll end up being Germany vs USA vs CCCP, and there's dozens of (single player) games with that as it is; so it'd have trouble drawing players since it doesn't really offer anything that the others don't, except for possible gameplay mechanics. And WG has tried various gamemodes in the past, almost all which have failed for various reasons; so any new game could likely see a repeat of that.

One group which is popular are arcade games with fictional tanks/weapons with for today's standards fairly outdated graphics, like tanki online.

psychobear #13 Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18717 battles
  • [7EVEN] 7EVEN

View PostHomer_J, on 10 August 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

What happened to that?

They decided to implement arty, and by the time they realised their stupidity and removed the clickers, it was too late. RIP. Could have been a really nice game.

farko1 #14 Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30106 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 10 August 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Because making games iz hard yo.

Okay, maybe it isn't, but making a good game is a lot harder than making a bad one.

And out of the three main online tank games, there's one arcade, one simulatorish, and one with only modern tanks.

Even if you could get the ghraphics, and more importantly the gameplay really well done, there's the issue of infrastructure; the server clusters needed to run the game.

Which means that small companies simply cannot compete with WoT, WT or AW because they simply don't have the means of running and maintaining the servers needed to do so.

And that is assuming it'll even become popular enough to pay for itself, let alone turn a profit.

One of the reasons I returned to playing WoT was because they had added japanese tanks.

It took WT a year or two (more?) to catch up with that, and AW doesn't even have them on the horizon.

And then there's plenty of other tanks by various countries that aren't in any of the games yet; like most polish, italian, romanian, and hungarian tanks.

Having tanks from those nations in a game from the start might appeal to a niche group of people (e.g. polaks and polish tanks), for an already niche target audiance (tank enthusiasts). Meaning that they'll end up being Germany vs USA vs CCCP, and there's dozens of (single player) games with that as it is; so it'd have trouble drawing players since it doesn't really offer anything that the others don't, except for possible gameplay mechanics. And WG has tried various gamemodes in the past, almost all which have failed for various reasons; so any new game could likely see a repeat of that.

One group which is popular are arcade games with fictional tanks/weapons with for today's standards fairly outdated graphics, like tanki online.

You are right ...

İ think that AW is the reason for some improvements in WOT ...

Enforcer1975 #15 Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20515 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

jack_timber #16 Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32405 battles

I remember playing Battle Zone, that was tanks, on the old woody Atari console many years ago, yes that old wasn't even a kid back then. Wasn't online as internet hadn't been invented then. It was a good game. Then progressed  to a pc, 286 CPU running dos, Windows was still at version 1. Can't remember name of game, maybe it was M1 Abraham's, now that was a greater game. I had a CGA monitor, that's 16 colours I think.

Fast forward to 2017 play WoT now that's the greatest game  but apart from playing against 29 or 59 other players and much nicer graphics no different to M1 Abraham's.

The point is gameplay is similar to old games, and probably will be in the future. Tried others but for me WoT is the no.1, until something else comes along.  BTW still as useless now as I was way back then:)

1ucky #17 Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 68125 battles
There can't be another game like WoT.
Cause WoT is a very good game, and it's already here, and it's economy flourishes so it has a future.

Any new similarly designed game coming up would have to compete with this, and that's such a tough competition prospect that no sane person would want to go for.

Edited by 1ucky, 10 August 2017 - 09:26 PM.

lord_chipmonk #18 Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33208 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View Postpsychobear, on 10 August 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

They decided to implement arty, and by the time they realised their stupidity and removed the clickers, it was too late. RIP. Could have been a really nice game.

There was far more wrong with AW than that. Just off the top of my head:

1) Matchmaker was garbage (SBMM can go to hell and the number of 3 minute slaughters were ridiculous, way worse than WoT)

2) They spent too much time trying to point to the failings of WoT and not enough time on trying to be a good game

3) Once you got over the fact that you were driving modern tanks, it was, at best, a WoT clone. So why not just play WoT?

4) The gameplay was less varied than WoT. 

5) They overhyped the game, making players less (or at least me) perpetually disappointed.

6) The devs and publishers had a falling out. 

On the plus side, the PvE stuff was good fun. Eventually it was all I played and if I return to the game, assuming the servers are still up, it is the thing I will go back for. 

japtank #19 Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27619 battles

Leaving WoT means leaving all your tanks behind you.

That is many hours of grinding and often quite a lot of money invested.

So, whoever was interested into tank games is here to stay, very few would leave for longer than a trial.

TungstenHitman #20 Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20671 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 10 August 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

As WOT is the only game I know of that people will hate with a passion, but still stick around to play. And you can't find that any other place. So why leave?

Lol.. Fact! I have fun playing this game but it pis*** me off like nothing else too yet my mouse curser keeps wondering up to the Battle again and again even though I clearly know there is I strong chance that something is going really annoy me in each and every battle. There was another game I played like that called DarkSouls, was no difficulty mode and was a Japanese masterpiece imo where they mix both PvE and PvP together. The PvE is massively difficult with especially when a noob plus the game has no saves only places on the map where you will respawn after you die but with all your xp lost and located where you died however if you die again, which is really likely, before you re-acquire your xp from the place you last died, then you lose all your xp lol!!! and of course you need to save ever increasing xp to level up and use weapons and magic and buy consumables and stuff etc.. so the best way to get through these areas without getting forked over and over.. and over again is to use what's know as a humanity, another rare item, and this allows you to "summon" up to two other online players or friends to help you in your quest however this also allows "invaders" which are other online players to enter your game and f*** your game up and like all games, you get some fully upgraded, know it all, lol trolls of which I would later become myself and yes it was fun to seal club in that game too lol.. but at least you could switch from troll to troll killer too by using that option and a noob could summon you to take care of the invader, great game, must go play it again some time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users