The end of modifications?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Aslain #1 Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 14600 battles
I've heard that with new patch (0.7.x?) most of the addons/mods and skins wont work anymore, which is a bummer.

Do you have any official list what'll be allowed and what will not?

I only found some rumors about the end of:

- OTM (Over Target Markers, floating dmg numbers, vehicle hitpoints)
- Tank skins
- mini map mods

How about the sights and the rest of stuff?

wsatnutter #2 Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26340 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
OTM (Over Target Markers, floating dmg numbers, vehicle hitpoints)

hope these are banned then you will have to play on a level playing field so to speak

i think the camo issue will be big

_LEO_ #3 Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 56674 battles
  • [TRUT-] TRUT-

View Postwsatnutter, on 06 November 2011 - 09:41 AM, said:

hope these are banned then you will have to play on a level playing field so to speak

And why should they be banned? They dont give you any advantage, OTM only makes the game prettier/funnier because it is much more enjoyable to see damage in numbers.

Crasydwarf #4 Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 11486 battles
I find it retarded if they do start disabling the ability to modify your client.

Should be pretty obvious to any game company by now that mods enhance the consumers interest and prolong a game's longevity. Every game should have mod support within the boundaries the developer sets, which in WOT case seems (or seemed, at least) to be anything that was client side.

What is it to them if I want to see the damage I do to a vehicle float over it's head when I damage? And what is it to them if I want to see the vehicles HP in numbers instead of percentage?

Aslain #5 Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 14600 battles
Personaly I can live without any OTM alike mods, yes I will miss them. I played without them a whole closed beta and many months past the release so... I only hope they let Icon mods to stay, I dont want to play with those uggly and grey tank countours as we get by default ;)

Crasydwarf #6 Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 11486 battles
As for skins, It's only an issue cause they are introducing yet another way to milk the player base.
Cause god knows premium account, premium tanks and all the rest ain't enough already.

Hopefully some talented guy finds the whatever files will handle the camo and puts a mod out to disable them.
Skins should work just fine then.

One can hope, cause I'm not giving up my skins just so I can see some guy showing off his piss poor desert camo I didn't wanna see in the first place

J4nitor #7 Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 39771 battles

Everyone can download and use them so you already play on a level playing field to put it into your words. Besides that: The Mod is useful and a nice to have but rarely a significant advantage as you can see the percentage of HP/lifebar and the vehicletype by pressing alt by default.

As for skins, It's only an issue cause they are introducing yet another way to milk the player base.
Cause god knows premium account, premium tanks and all the rest ain't enough already.
Yes, because WG is a company and they exist to earn money - hardly anything wrong with that? You dont have to buy stuff after all.

typhaon #8 Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 14201 battles
I guess the minimap mods will fall victim to the new minimap system, but I hope that OTM will still be possible... unless they change the whole system and the flash UIs in general, I think they will still be able...
About skins: Why should they disable this flourishing branch of modding? They even created a seperate forum section... all wasted? I don't think so... I think I even remember the devs saying that there will be two or three seperate skins for each vehicle: standard and camo (maybe seperate credit-/gold-camo) which can seperatly be modified... that would even increase the diversity and possibilities... there is enough proof, that games with modding support (or at least allowance) are much more appreciated by the players...

guguloi #9 Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

Heart Smasher

• Player
  • 50829 battles
  • [FOCA] FOCA

You should be banned. :D
WTF is wrong with OTM? http://forum.worldof...mile_amazed.gif

PAKFA #10 Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16505 battles
If this is true, then its really bad news :(

It means that the devs don't care about the community at all, which in this case will be very sad to find that out.
The people mods and stuff they make/contribue to this game makes it more fun, interesting and even improve beyond sometimes the devs imagination which is only a good thing.
Mods are at the core of longevity to a lot of games. They need to learn that and actually appreciate it, not stop it.

Please compare these 2 screenshots:

Original:
http://i105.photobuc...ro/a-nomods.jpg

With mods (if this is bad/illegal/cheating or whatever they can think of to name it, then the world is upside down):
http://i105.photobuc.../b-withmods.jpg

typhaon #11 Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 14201 battles
If anything, the OTM mod only gives you better feedback to understand the game better... since the day I started using it, many WTF-moments turned into "Damn... but well, bad luck"-moments.

Phalynx #12 Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7599 battles
  • [MTW] MTW
Removing the OTM would remove one of the most important mod for me.

I can live without mini map mods if the new minimap is allowing to resize the minimap in a way we can see single tanks on it.

Tanks skins were never a topic for me. I like also the way they will show clan logos on the tanks :)

SabatonPagan #13 Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26000 battles

wsatnutter  thank you for proving that the people that dont like mods just dont get what they are for!

Regarding OTM i love it and i use it since the game interface is a piece of grey and brown crap that was chewed up and vomited. The options  for the interface are just stupid and very few, and im happy about that since if they weren't WG would ask for gold to change it.
Look at the crew. You have the option to customize it! Picture and name ! Only 2 absolutely meaningless options that only you can see and you probably cant even name the commander Dicky MacShiterson and they want GOLD for it !!!
I use a lot of mods and im certain WG will implement their own halfassed versions and anything worth a second look will cost gold!

Making money i have no problem with, being greedy to the point you F*CK up your own product and the community is retarded!

You can see the mods i use in my signature:
J1mB091's Crosshair Mod,  
OverTargetMarkers,
Minimap Mod,
J1mB091's Contour Icon Mod

silviu609 #14 Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9377 battles
  • [GB_RO] GB_RO
I first started to play WOT cuz it was interesting but then i've got bored to see same tank skins, icons and sights so i started to search for mods to keep my interest for this game after i finished with first mods the game started to be annoying, to shot a tank and dmg it with -25% then when the same type of tank had 25% hp left to dmg it with only -24% and dont know why, the solution for this problem was OTM, now i am playing arty just because i like to see the dmg (its funny to see -800 -700 -900). Now the only things that keep my interest are Clan wars and testing my sights (i farm mostly to test my SPG sight and add or remove things, 10 battles yesterday just to change two things)
So the question is: if they remove mods and add tank freeze i will play only 3 battles then i won't play until freeze expires so why shoud i like this game anymore ? for 3 battles ?

PAKFA #15 Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16505 battles
They want us to like their game so much that we spend money on everything possible (so far only gas for tanks is free... who knows in the future), but vice versa it doesn't apply. They don't like/care about us, the community.

I'm just curious about one thing: how can they know if i use a mod, since the modified files are on my client on my pc ?

Homer_J #16 Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31782 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Overlord already said (in the Q&A thread) it won't be possible to prevent the mods entirely so they aren't even going to try.

He even said it will still be possible to do custom skins, but every camo available for the tank will have to be replaced, not just the one as now.

silviu609 #17 Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9377 battles
  • [GB_RO] GB_RO

View PostPAKFA, on 07 November 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

They want us to like their game so much that we spend money on everything possible

they will implement tank freeze just to make us spend more money for premium to grind more tanks but i personaly won't spend more money for this game, i have object 212 with 215.000 xp and my premium has just expired but is much better without if first battle for double xp is on himmelsdorf/ensk/ruinberg => exit battle=>exit game=>play again tomorow, i dont have to play just to dont waste premium days

ScarabParamit #18 Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2560 battles
No mods? Without them this game would be unplayable and unjoyeble...-.-

But for me, game is dying either way. Devs fu**ed up hardly making machmenager retarded, so rather than competetive gameplay we have a rat-race for Tier X tanks, becouse every next tank fell weaker than elier one and we have almost no pleasure driving them when there are better tanks 3-5 tiers higher on the field. Also "buy gold for noob-shells" policy and "no refunds,no rollbacks" law braking technices realy make me consider puting this game aside for good. For now i will play BF3 and wait for physcis (game about tanks without physics...thats a joke, even FarCry have better graphics and physics and run smoother xD)
Now World of Battleships and World of Planes come out...i have learn my lesson and will not make same mistake again.

Also i will not make any more texture/skin/sound mods until i see one more time this game is worth it.

Regards to all.

vlajko #19 Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 32645 battles
  • [RAWR] RAWR

Why, for the love of God, would you consider such modes unfair advantage? First of all, those are mostly cosmetics. Second of all, everyone can use them, which by itself nullifies any possibility of advantage. So how is that not a level playing field?

DashingBlade #20 Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 48604 battles
Totally p1ss off the skinning community (as someone's said, so important have their own forum) to make some EUR's . . . madness.
One thing any company should avoid is alienating it's customer base.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users