[FEEDBACK] Heavy Tank No. VI Marathon

marathon feedback tokens reward prize shop

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

fighting_falcon93 #1 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31127 battles

With the Heavy Tank No. VI marathon finally completed, this was definitely one of the worst marathons that I've ever participated in. It causes so much frustration to have a great game, but then not having your XP count for the mission because someone got more XP than you. For average players this happens very often, causing the marathon to become yet another unicum reward party, where average players leave empty handed. It's very difficult to enjoy the mission and have fun in the game when you realise that you've played for 1-2 hours and not even progressed in the mission.

Because of this I'd like to propose a different way of doing these marathons. This approach would allow players to better plan ahead and know if they'll be able to complete the marathon in time, instead of worrying about investing time into the marathon and then don't get the reward. It also offers a better reward system, that allows all players to pick the reward they personally want the most, instead of getting a tank that they might not be fully interested in.

An updated version of this suggestion can be found at post #69.

The marathon could last for 30 days and offer the players a single mission:

Objective:

- Earn 10'000 XP over any amount of battles.

- Only battles in which you are among the top 10 of your team by base XP count towards the missions progress.

Restrictions:

- Only random battles.

- Tier IV or higher.

- Can be completed 50 times.

Reward:

- 1 token.

In order to use your earned tokens, there could be a dedicated webpage that acts like a marathon prize shop. Some examples of prizes that can be offered in the marathon shop is listed below:

- VIII T34: 48 tokens.

- VIII Löwe: 49 tokens.

- VIII Strv S1: 44 tokens.

- VIII IS-6: 48 tokens.

- VIII FCM 50 t: 48 tokens.

- VII SU-122-44: 29 tokens.

- VII Panther/M10: 25 tokens.

- VII AT-15A: 28 tokens.

- VI Pudel: 17 tokens.

- VI Type 64: 16 tokens.

- 1000 gold: 5 tokens.

- 7 days premium account: 6 tokens.

Note: All costs in tokens are based on their actual cost in the premium shop. 

Note: All tanks in the premium shop should be aviable, the above tanks are just examples.

So a player that has earned 48 tokens, can for instance pick either a T34 or an IS-6, but not a Löwe. Another example is to pick 9000 gold or 56 days premium account. Yet another example is to pick a SU-122-44 and a Pudel. The remaining tokens can either be converted into credits, saved until the next marathon, or simply removed.

Note: If the above example is considered too easy, the amount of XP per mission, or the cost in tokens, can be increased.

Edited by fighting_falcon93, 14 August 2017 - 04:00 PM.

zen_monk_ #2 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 25307 battles
Or simply buy the damn thing.

brumbarr #3 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
This just shifts who it is in favour of.
With your proposal its just a nobrain grind and favours people with high activity.
How is that any better?

NUKLEAR_SLUG #4 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29179 battles

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 12 August 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

With the Heavy Tank No. VI marathon finally completed, this was definitely one of the worst marathons that I've ever participated in. It causes so much frustration to have a great game, but then not having your XP count for the mission because someone got more XP than you. For average players this happens very often, causing the marathon to become yet another unicum reward party, where average players leave empty handed. It's very difficult to enjoy the mission and have fun in the game when you realise that you've played for 1-2 hours and not even progressed in the mission.

The mission is on for month and we're about a third through and you're offering feedback on how difficult it is based on having completed it inside 1/3 of the way through.. hmm

wremise #5 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 48209 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

A marathon isnt here, so that you can get a tank easy with just some effort.

Its here to make money for WG, ever way by making it that hard, that the players who finish it by ~75% will pay for the rest,

or by making the whole marathon so damm sick, that the player will say *Edited I will buy it for money, I dont have the nerfs for that crap.

Edited by Nohe21, 15 August 2017 - 07:43 AM.
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

fighting_falcon93 #6 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31127 battles

View Postbrumbarr, on 12 August 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

This just shifts who it is in favour of.
With your proposal its just a nobrain grind and favours people with high activity.
How is that any better?

The current marathon favours high activity aswell, although maybe you havn't noticed it because you're a good enough player to complete it easily.

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 12 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

The mission is on for month and we're about a third through and you're offering feedback on how difficult it is based on having completed it inside 1/3 of the way through.. hmm

Interesting assumption... You count 12 days, right? Do you have any assumptions about how many hours it took? Or you just count the days 1 2 3?

View Postwremise, on 12 August 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

A marathon isnt here, so that you can get a tank easy with just some effort.

I'd say WG profits from marathons in 2 ways:

- Increased sales for those who don't want to do the marathon.

- Increased activity in form of gameplay, which in turn can yeild higher sales.

As I stated in the final note, if this example is too easy, it can be made more time consuming by increasing either the XP amount or by increasing the costs in tokens. It can also be made more difficult by changing top 10 to top 8 or top 6. But setting it to top 1 is too difficult for average players.

_Anarchistic_ #7 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38555 battles

it was easy, 3 days play, whats the problem

easiest 1.5 million credits ever thank you wg

fighting_falcon93 #8 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31127 battles

View PostStewie2ie, on 12 August 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

it was easy, 3 days play, whats the problem

"I can do it, so it's easy" :facepalm:

tajj7 #9 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25424 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
It was easy so not sure why it needs changing, a whole month to get some top 10 finishes? If you need easier than that then just buy it. 

fighting_falcon93 #10 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31127 battles

View Posttajj7, on 12 August 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

It was easy so not sure why it needs changing, a whole month to get some top 10 finishes? If you need easier than that then just buy it. 

You just get 1 token for finishing the mission once. If you do the mission the maximum amount of times (50), that corresponds to half a million xp, and most tier 8 tanks would require atleast 40-45+ tokens :)

brumbarr #11 Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 12 August 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

The current marathon favours high activity aswell, although maybe you havn't noticed it because you're a good enough player to complete it easily.

The difference is that with the current mission, your skill can significantly recude the time required. So when you have a lot of skill, it takes less time, when you have less skill, it takes more time. Wih your idea the balance is completely off, everyone regardless of skill will have to grind.  The balance between skill and grind isnt right. Now, I am not saying its right now, but a whole lot better than your idea. 

You need the balance right, otherwise its frustrating for everyone.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #12 Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29179 battles

Interesting assumption... You count 12 days, right? Do you have any assumptions about how many hours it took? Or you just count the days 1 2 3?

Nope, because you didn't provide that information so we can only go by the date you completed it which is in the last day or so presumably. That's still 1/3 of the way through the allotted time for completing the mission so it's obviously quite achievable because you demonstrated the fact yourself. If you want to tell us you've only done it by dedicating 12 hours a day to it then that's nice, but it was your choice to do that.

fighting_falcon93 #13 Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31127 battles

View Postbrumbarr, on 12 August 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

The difference is that with the current mission, your skill can significantly recude the time required. So when you have a lot of skill, it takes less time, when you have less skill, it takes more time. Wih your idea the balance is completely off, everyone regardless of skill will have to grind.  The balance between skill and grind isnt right. Now, I am not saying its right now, but a whole lot better than your idea. 
You need the balance right, otherwise its frustrating for everyone.

Well, they could have 2 sets of missions:

Mission 1:

Objective:

- Only battles in which you are among the top 10 of your team by base XP count towards the missions progress.

Restrictions:

- Only random battles.

- Tier IV or higher.

- No more than 50 tokens earned.

Reward:

- 1 token.

Mission 2:

Objective:

- Only battles in which you are among the top 1 of your team by base XP count towards the missions progress.

Restrictions:

- Only random battles.

- Tier IV or higher.

- No more than 50 tokens earned.

Reward:

- 2 tokens.

As an example. The difference can ofc be tweaked depending on what will suit players better :)

Shivvering #14 Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29746 battles

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 12 August 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

It's easy because it's easy. I saw this on the website and thought I wouldn't bother. Not interested in the tank, not interested in a stressful grind. Not got huge amounts of spare time and have been enjoying other games too recently. Finished it on the 10th without even trying. And I'm not very good.

Edited by Shivvering, 12 August 2017 - 03:53 PM.

_Anarchistic_ #15 Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38555 battles

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 12 August 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

no, it was easy, that's how I did it

Cendrake #16 Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 38415 battles
  • [F-T-R] F-T-R

This isn't charity to hand out tanks just like that. Like wremise stated already, such events just exist so WG makes money.  Usually they're supposed to be hard enough to make the average player fail, but at the same time make him commit himself enough to invest the money for whatever is missing. There's a high chance that these events also spur all kinds of other income channels: People buy premium accounts etc. In this case I wouldn't be surprised if WG makes way more money through this, than through the sales of the actual reward tank itself - because it's dirt cheap anyway. But that's the main reason for these events. Give the consumer incentive to spend more money on the product.

Personally, I generally also favor the way it is right now over your suggestion. Every mind-numbingly grind-only marathon just increases the amount of botting again (even if it's Top-10-only; afaik there are bots out there that perform better than many human players in this game). The only gripe I have with this marathon is that they do not give out a special camo or inscription for the tank that actually shows that someone accomplished the mission. In the end, the one who accomplished it and the one who simply bought it and put zero effort into getting the tank look the same on the battlefield.

But this is proof for the different mindsets. As a player, I'd like to have something like that. Something that shows others "Hey, that guy did not just spent 15€ on the tank. He actually stands out and finished the marathon." But WG doesn't care at all about this, because they actually do NOT want you to finish the mission and get this tank for free. Handing out tanks for free to the people who actually accomplish the mission is the furthest away from their interests. So they couldn't care less about an incentive to accomplish the mission (as such a camo or inscription). They want to sell the tank. Thus, they want you to fail and buy it. The less people get it for free, the better.

Edited by Cendrake, 12 August 2017 - 04:02 PM.

fighting_falcon93 #17 Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31127 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 12 August 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

Nope, because you didn't provide that information so we can only go by the date you completed it which is in the last day or so presumably. That's still 1/3 of the way through the allotted time for completing the mission so it's obviously quite achievable because you demonstrated the fact yourself. If you want to tell us you've only done it by dedicating 12 hours a day to it then that's nice, but it was your choice to do that.

I didn't provide it because it's not relevant. I have a 52% WR, think about players that have 50% or 48% WR. So what, now not only CW and Ranked Battles are reserved for great players, but marathons too? Since I started playing this game marathons has always been accessible for average players aswell. Should this be gone now too?

View PostStewie2ie, on 12 August 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

no, it was easy, that's how I did it

I'm glad you think it was easy. Many others don't think so. Playing for 2 hours and not progressing in the mission is not something I'd call easy. But then again this is the mentality that great players have adopted. I think it's easy, so anyone who doesn't is either a bot or challenged in one way or another. Do you want to try something that I find easy? Let's see how easy that thing is for you...

-

View PostCendrake, on 12 August 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

This isn't charity to hand out tanks just like that.

Judging from how many good players that state that the mission was "easy" and how they completed in 3 days (or 3 hours, or minutes.......), wouldn't you call that a charity aswell? Or is it the old usual, great players get the good stuff, and the rest of the player base can get a pile of consumables? Sure, WG can keep it that way, but I doubt it's going to generate them more income or more popularity.

Actually why do we have a marathon anyway if only good players are going to be able to complete it? Isn't is just easier to add the tank directly to all players above X winrate?

_Anarchistic_ #18 Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38555 battles

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 12 August 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

I didn't provide it because it's not relevant. I have a 52% WR, think about players that have 50% or 48% WR. So what, now not only CW and Ranked Battles are reserved for great players, but marathons too? Since I started playing this game marathons has always been accessible for average players aswell. Should this be gone now too?

I'm glad you think it was easy. Many others don't think so. Playing for 2 hours and not progressing in the mission is not something I'd call easy. But then again this is the mentality that great players have adopted. I think it's easy, so anyone who doesn't is either a bot or challenged in one way or another. Do you want to try something that I find easy? Let's see how easy that thing is for you...

great players?

I am no where near a great player..The missions don't even require thinking, play the game and they happen by themselves, simply pick you favourite tank and have fun

as for mentality, where did I say anyone was challenged or a bot?

CmdRatScabies #19 Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37603 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Do different days have different number of hours now?  When did that happen?

-

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 12 August 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

Or is it the old usual, great players get the good stuff, and the rest of the player base can get a pile of consumables?

Dude it's a Jap Tiger.

Cendrake #20 Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 38415 battles
  • [F-T-R] F-T-R

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 12 August 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

Judging from how many good players that state that the mission was "easy" and how they completed in 3 days (or 3 hours, or minutes.......), wouldn't you call that a charity aswell? Or is it the old usual, great players get the good stuff, and the rest of the player base can get a pile of consumables? Sure, WG can keep it that way, but I doubt it's going to generate them more income or more popularity.

Actually why do we have a marathon anyway if only good players are going to be able to complete it? Isn't is just easier to add the tank directly to all players above X winrate?

Nope. Because the kind of players who really win it that easily in 3 days with one half of the brain sleeping are rare. That's like 1 to 5% of the playerbase at best. Others have to invest more time and the majority is supposed to fail.

And why we have a marathon anyway has already been explained. These events only exist to generate money. That's why we have them. Good players have nothing to do with it. And if you think WG would cater to the good players with these events, you didn't get it. The good players who are able to complete it and win the tank do not generate money. WG gives a rat's [edited]about them. In this case, everyone who wins this tank ezpz is even bad for business. If they would really only make this event so that good players can win a tank, like you falsely assume, they would do exactly like you wrote: Just add the tank directly to their garage.

Edited by Cendrake, 12 August 2017 - 04:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users