• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Hi guys,

So I see many of you referring to some of your tanks as "crew trainers" and tbh I have never in all my WoT gameplay used a tank just for training crew and it's a topic I honestly know nothing about but would really like to know more about and get advice. The only time I have come close to something like that is when I may sometimes delay transferring crew from a current tank I am using to the next tier tank I unlocked until I have run the crew skills to a somewhat acceptable level with the elite status in place assuming the crew are not already very good from constant transferring tier to tier.

So how does it work exactly? Do you have a certain tank or tanks you keep just to train crew with? How do you go about it? Do you buy crew at 75% then train them to 100% with a few skills n perks then move them on, rinse and repeat? 

Also, if you do that then where to do you move your newly trained crew to once you're happy with their lvs and do you transfer them to another tank using silver credits or pay gold to transfer them at 100% everything?

Also, how are you finding the time to train new crew in your crew trainer and also use the tanks you transferred the last trained crew to? Thing is, for me anyway, even with an elite or premium tank, training crew seems to take a LONG time or at least that is to say it takes many battles and just training crew alone would take up most of my time so I doubt I would be able to both train new crew and enjoy the tanks I transferred the trained crew to? How are you managing to do that without 1000 battles per day?

Also, when it comes to choosing a crew trainer, do you chose a tank you like or a tank that you kind barely like but delivers better xp and keep it exclusivity all about xp gain and less about outright fun?

Also, what do you feel is the best way to go about crew training? the most efficient and cost effective tricks? I'm sure I am wasting lots of gold and time I probably didn't and don't need to if only someone told me the better way to go about it all.

Finally, what sort of levels have you guys taken crew to? What is the crew you have with the most skills and perks?

Thanks in advance and do pls attach a few pics of your best trained crew if only to make me feel bad about just how much losers my crew are lol.

DuncaN_101 #2 Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51861 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
Any premium tank can be used as a crew trainer for a crew of the same nation and vehicle type.

You don't have to retrain the crew for the prem tank and you can just switch them out between the original and the prem tank.

That's what is meant by a crew trainer

qpranger #3 Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 30735 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Be sure to regularly wash your crew trainers or they start to smell of sweat.

Emeraldweed #4 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6098 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

Ie i have a crew that i want to boost it's view range before i assign it to the RU, so i play the mutz for the x2-3 then transfer it to T55A then to panther88 etc so it gets multiple XP in one day.

also if i have a good radioman in a tank and i want to get a new tank that i don't have a crew for it, i change his qualifications to commander and use a brand new crew for the rest 

TungstenHitman #5 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostDuncaN_101, on 14 August 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Any premium tank can be used as a crew trainer for a crew of the same nation and vehicle type.

You don't have to retrain the crew for the prem tank and you can just switch them out between the original and the prem tank.

That's what is meant by a crew trainer

Ahhhh... so you just buy crew for the tank they are destined to end up in and transfer them to a premium tank which is of course, allowed, and then transfer them back to the other tank they were bought for once they are trained. This makes sense and also this would make crew trainers exclusively premium tanks unless you want to pay out gold to transfer crew from the elite tank trainer option to it's destined tank. If memory serves me right, I think you can only transfer crew from the same tank class to a premium tank? So you need a premium tank of each class and of each nation? damn...

Dru_UK #6 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6562 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

You don't need to use a premium tank to train a crew member, just depends upon your end goal.

For instance I've got a few british tanks, but I don't want to paly new crew or crew commander without sixth sense... so.. what I do, is because I enjoy my matilda, is swap out the commander for a new one , make sure ACT is on and just play that tank until the commander is 100% and has enough XP to get sixth sense.

Yes it might be a few hundred games (or less with boasters) but you can play a fun tank and grind a commander with sixth sense suitable t ogo into a higher tier tank in the future without ant gold spent.

Spurtung #7 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60137 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 August 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

So how does it work exactly? Do you have a certain tank or tanks you keep just to train crew with? How do you go about it? Do you buy crew at 75% then train them to 100% with a few skills n perks then move them on, rinse and repeat? 

I can only speak for myself, I use premium tanks for this task.

Also, if you do that then where to do you move your newly trained crew to once you're happy with their lvs and do you transfer them to another tank using silver credits or pay gold to transfer them at 100% everything?

I pay with credits to get them at 90% (or 80%, if they change class) of their primary skill. To get them back to 100%, it will take about 40k XP (or 64K XP), which I'll also do in the trainer tank.

Also, how are you finding the time to train new crew in your crew trainer and also use the tanks you transferred the last trained crew to? Thing is, for me anyway, even with an elite or premium tank, training crew seems to take a LONG time or at least that is to say it takes many battles and just training crew alone would take up most of my time so I doubt I would be able to both train new crew and enjoy the tanks I transferred the trained crew to? How are you managing to do that without 1000 battles per day?

Premium account + premium tank = much faster crew training.

Finally, what sort of levels have you guys taken crew to? What is the crew you have with the most skills and perks?

My bare minimum for any tier 10 is 3 skills. My best crew has 6.

Emeraldweed #8 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6098 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 August 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Ahhhh... so you just buy crew for the tank they are destined to end up in and transfer them to a premium tank which is of course, allowed, and then transfer them back to the other tank they were bought for once they are trained. This makes sense and also this would make crew trainers exclusively premium tanks unless you want to pay out gold to transfer crew from the elite tank trainer option to it's destined tank. If memory serves me right, I think you can only transfer crew from the same tank class to a premium tank? So you need a premium tank of each class and of each nation? damn...

yep, a prime example is how WG releases a new  nation  just like the polish, they sell a premium t6 to skill up your crews before they release the whole line

Spurtung #9 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60137 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 August 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

If memory serves me right, I think you can only transfer crew from the same tank class to a premium tank? So you need a premium tank of each class and of each nation? damn...

No, it will take any, but there will be penalties applied.

If you'll play really low tiers, it's kinda doable.

TungstenHitman #10 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV
Also, when I got that T34-85M I already had a T34-85 but the crew were trained to a skill and a half thereabouts so I transferred the 85 crew to the 85M crew a that's where they remain. Is there any penalty for that? Would the original 85M crew that came with the tank train faster than the current crew I have in that are still crew from the standard 85? or it doesn't matter?

Emeraldweed #11 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6098 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 August 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

Also, when I got that T34-85M I already had a T34-85 but the crew were trained to a skill and a half thereabouts so I transferred the 85 crew to the 85M crew a that's where they remain. Is there any penalty for that? Would the original 85M crew that came with the tank train faster than the current crew I have in that are still crew from the standard 85? or it doesn't matter?

If it had BIA stock then if i recall well then the next skill will get traned faster as if it was  the first one, if that's the case then  it's a good idea to use the crew it came with to boost it to 2nd skill faster  and then you will have 2 crews

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostEmeraldweed, on 14 August 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

yep, a prime example is how WG releases a new  nation  just like the polish, they sell a premium t6 to skill up your crews before they release the whole line

Ya but if the Polish line turned out to be, lets say, mostly HTs or TDs, then a MT trainer would be of little use? It's like how that Chinese TD line is coming out soon that apparently "we all asked for, now we finally got it", you couldn't transfer the crew of a premium Chinese tank to a Chinese TD for free?

Spurtung #13 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60137 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 August 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

Training speed is exactly the same.

As for penalties, try this: get a crew member from any other class in the 85M and on the left side of the crew member in garage, you'll se his % showing in red.

Emeraldweed #14 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6098 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 August 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

Ya but if the Polish line turned out to be, lets say, mostly HTs or TDs, then a MT trainer would be of little use? It's like how that Chinese TD line is coming out soon that apparently "we all asked for, now we finally got it", you couldn't transfer the crew of a premium Chinese tank to a Chinese TD for free?

no you train them as a medium then reset them with gold ( or credits with some xp penalty ) and then assign them to the HT or TD line of your choice. I think that WG using medium premiums it's the best choice since Meds and lights get more exp ( due to spotting + dmg ) so they are faster trainers than a td ( my opinion and playstyle)

StinkyStonky #15 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25110 battles
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC

Imagine you're playing the KV2 and grinding towards the S-51.

You plan to keep the KV2 so you are going to need a new crew for the S-51.

You could just buy one (75% for 20k silver/man), or

You could buy a 2nd crew for one of your existing Heavy tanks (say the KV1).  You can play that crew in the KV1 and your Churchill 3 (everyone has one of those right ?), grind them up 100% and get them well on the way with their 1st skill.  You can "train them as much as you like" but when the time comes you re-train them for the S-51 and you get an 80% crew (or 100% if you pay gold) that perhaps already has 6th sense and a whole load of camo skills.

In the past this was a lot more desirable than putting a new crew in the S-51 as arty was rubbish for getting XP. 

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:40 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

So what training level is considered good enough to transfer crew onto they're destined tank? A perk and a skill at 100%? I feel maybe most my crew are mediocre. Apart from the girls that came with SIA and another fully trained option, all my other crews are still grinding their second skill anywhere from 70%-95% of second skill so my crews don't even have a third skill to start grinding yet. 

For me it's pretty much about getting 6th sense and having a skill and a half for the other crew in areas I feel best suite that tanks strengths and my preferred playstyle with that tank. Obviously I'd love 3-4 perks and skills but it gets so slow approaching a 3rd skill, how do you guys grind 3rd and even 4th skill without playing ONLY that tank all day long?? Or is a case of 6th sense and most of a second skill is enough for most tanks?

Spurtung #17 Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 60137 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostTungstenHitman, on 15 August 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

So what training level is considered good enough to transfer crew onto they're destined tank? A perk and a skill at 100%?

It depends on the tier, higher tiers needing more skills for the sole purpose of being on par with the other players you'll be facing.

I'd say 6th sense from tier 6 up is essential, and a bare minimum of 3 skills on a tier 10 vehicle.

Obviously I'd love 3-4 perks and skills but it gets so slow approaching a 3rd skill, how do you guys grind 3rd and even 4th skill without playing ONLY that tank all day long??

By having multiple tanks and trying to get the daily first win in as many as possible.

TungstenHitman #18 Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Are crew boosters(personal reserves) a multiplier of the base xp or the premium account xp?

So lets say

Battle result with and without a premium with a 200% crew booster in effect, which of the following is it?

standard account xp 1000 @200% = 3000xp

(A) premium account xp 1000+50% =1500xp@200%= 4500xp? or

(B) premium account xp 1000+50% + 1000@200% = 3500  xp?

Spurtung #19 Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60137 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostTungstenHitman, on 15 August 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Are crew boosters(personal reserves) a multiplier of the base xp or the premium account xp?

So lets say

Battle result with and without a premium with a 200% crew booster in effect, which of the following is it?

standard account xp 1000 @200% = 3000xp

(A) premium account xp 1000+50% =1500xp@200%= 4500xp? or

(B) premium account xp 1000+50% + 1000@200% = 3500  xp?

For this, I'll refer you here.

RaxipIx #20 Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27360 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I also train some crews in lower tiers. 

Amx 12 T for example. I keep 2 good crew members and start with a fresh one  as radio operator until he gets camo and i start a 2 skill.

I take out my good loader and put back in the good radio operator until he has  camo. So i have 2 highly trained crew members with one fresh one.

In the end i swap the commander fresh one, and play with the good radio operator and loader, until i get SS. Then start the camo.

I do this because of the accelerated crew training, and the least trained crew member get's double xp. Put on some boosters and it's pretty quick.

I move up my good crew from the 12T  to something else, and play the crew i just got until i have BIA, SS, and full camo. Then if need be i start it all over and put the crew in anything i need it. Meds, LT's mostly.

I do the same with  other tanks too that don't have a  lot of crew members.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users