Jump to content


Lago - Strv m/42 - Tier VI. Is it recommendable skipping the tier V?


  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

PanzerKFeldherrnhalle #1 Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 486 battles
  • 708
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013
An honest question regarding the Swedish tier V Strv m/42: As the title reads, is it advisable using free-exp to skip it entirely to tier VI? I only use free-exp to unlock modules (when necessary as some tanks are minimally decent stock and don't require it), as such I have about 85000 free-exp. I don't mind using 20 000 of that to open an exception skipping a tank. What I wish to know is if the tank (even) being "average" is somewhat playable or is it purely inconsequential?

The tier VI looks decent but this tier V seems absolutely mediocre. Very low DPM, 115 penetration and mediocre view range when compared to something like the Sherman. Is the tank as bad as it seems? Please answer only if you actually played it.

CoDiGGo #2 Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 14873 battles
  • 568
  • [MOARR] MOARR
  • Member since:
    05-10-2015
Tier 5 is very good, only bad dpm, but pen, alpha and depession give you op hull down vs noobs

Steeleye_Spam #3 Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 27676 battles
  • 224
  • Member since:
    08-31-2014
It is my best tier5 after the exp, so definitely not

RaxipIx #4 Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 28474 battles
  • 854
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    02-22-2016
Yeah i had great fun in the tier 5. But the tier 6 is a gem.

PointZero #5 Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 42161 battles
  • 1,067
  • Member since:
    02-03-2011

As long as you avoid getting caught in the open and trading with dpm monsters such a T-34's the Strv m/42 is a very capable Tier V medium. Your main advantages are decent pen, punchy alpha for a Tier V medium and 15° of gun depression you can use to abuse hills and ridgelines. 147 battles, 54% wins, 3 marks of excellence with a crew that is on 94% of their 1st skill. Ammo loadout I used is 34 regular AP, 8 premium AP.



Sessine #6 Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 27102 battles
  • 1,027
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    12-26-2012
I am playing through it because the crew needs a bit more training and it is ok, definitely not so bad that you would want to free xp it.

Snake_Keeper #7 Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 8568 battles
  • 697
  • Member since:
    02-04-2016

Just troll people like you were driving a slightly slower Cromwell.

Guaranteed to drive people nuts,



PanzerKFeldherrnhalle #8 Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 486 battles
  • 708
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013
Thank you all for the replies. I guess the tank should be okay then. Won't skip it.
 

View PostSessine, on 18 August 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

I am playing through it because the crew needs a bit more training and it is ok, definitely not so bad that you would want to free xp it.

 

Playing without 6th sense is one of the reasons I want to go forward ASAP. At least tier VI has some (not much but some) sense to it. Tiers IV and V are just Ebola: No sufficient HP pool, no view range, no nothing.
 

View PostPointZero, on 18 August 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

As long as you avoid getting caught in the open and trading with dpm monsters such a T-34's the Strv m/42 is a very capable Tier V medium. Your main advantages are decent pen, punchy alpha for a Tier V medium and 15° of gun depression you can use to abuse hills and ridgelines. 147 battles, 54% wins, 3 marks of excellence with a crew that is on 94% of their 1st skill. Ammo loadout I used is 34 regular AP, 8 premium AP.

 

Don't remember the T34, only the Crusader which I recollect being an enjoyable tank.
I compared the DPM of this Swedish tier V with the Sherman and the Crusader. All else I don't really know.
The KV-1 as far as I remember as monstrous DPM too, for its tier.
 

View PostRaxipIx, on 18 August 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

Yeah i had great fun in the tier 5. But the tier 6 is a gem.

 

Yes the tier VI looks extremely decent. 15º depression, 148 pen. Should be very good.

 

View PostSteeleye_Spam, on 18 August 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

It is my best tier5 after the exp, so definitely not

 

Thanks. Will play it then.
 

View PostCoDiGGo, on 18 August 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Tier 5 is very good, only bad dpm, but pen, alpha and depession give you op hull down vs noobs

 

Will give it a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by LegioCenturion, 18 August 2017 - 07:01 PM.


PanzerKFeldherrnhalle #9 Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 486 battles
  • 708
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View PostSnake_Keeper, on 18 August 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

Just troll people like you were driving a slightly slower Cromwell.

Guaranteed to drive people nuts,

 

I imagine the Cromwell should still be good but not what it once was. With the OI, the matchmaking light tanks now enjoy (Type 64 above all else) and even the tier VI Tigers which look very decent. The competition is a lot bigger.

FluffyRedFox #10 Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 22556 battles
  • 8,098
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    12-05-2012
I loved the tier 5, its a very nice tank imo. 

Nishi_Kinuyo #11 Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 7460 battles
  • 3,883
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

It is a quite decent tank and worth grinding through.

I mean, the m/42 is my highest WN8 tank atm...


Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 18 August 2017 - 07:29 PM.


MR_FIAT #12 Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18922 battles
  • 1,562
  • [_RBP_] _RBP_
  • Member since:
    05-16-2015
I quite enjoyed it, I should get around buying it back sometime.

Cobra6 #13 Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • 15,536
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

The only tank that's truly crapis the Tier 7 Leo, this is another one of those compulsory XP sinks that WG puts in every new line.

 

The tier 5 and especially tier 6 are great machines.

 

Cobra 6



PointZero #14 Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 42161 battles
  • 1,067
  • Member since:
    02-03-2011

View PostLegioCenturion, on 18 August 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

Don't remember the T34, only the Crusader which I recollect being an enjoyable tank.
I compared the DPM of this Swedish tier V with the Sherman and the Crusader. All else I don't really know.
The KV-1 as far as I remember as monstrous DPM too, for its tier.

 

With some copypasta from my Škoda T24 -rant, base DPM compared to other mediums in its own tier

T-34                                    2217,65

Type T-34                           2217,65

Ram II                                 1965

M7                                      1956,75

Matilda BP (premium)         1956,75

Matilda IV (premium)          1776.5

M4A2E4 Sherman (Beta)   1732,5

Renault G1                        1691,8 (2460 with the 105mm *x)

M4 improved (premium)     1650

Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H             1650 (2650 with the 10,5cm *x)

Pz.Kpfw. T 25 (premium)    1540

Pz.Kpfw. III/IV                      1534.5

Pz.Kpfw. IV Hydrostat. (premium) 1534.5

Type 3 Chi-Nu                   1500

Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai (premium) 1500

Sherman III                        1499,6 (2734,7 with the 105mm *x)                       

M4 Sherman                     1437,5 (2734,7 with the 105mm *x)

Strv M/42                          1428

Škoda T24                        1245,2

 

*x imaginary situation where the HE can pen "armor"


Edited by PointZero, 18 August 2017 - 07:54 PM.


CaptainThunderWalker #15 Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18937 battles
  • 1,297
  • Member since:
    09-25-2015

Yes, do not get into a DPM slugfest with the Strv M/42. But it was a pleasant enough grind - not worth wasting free XP on at all (except maybe to unlock the top gun - I hate playing stock tanks).

 

To be fair, low tier DPM slugfests are generally unfavourable anyway. So many tanks can eat away a lot of your hitpoints very very quickly, that it's very dangerous, and many guns are derpy enough to make you miss shots you can't afford to miss in such a trading game. You really want to keep your HP intact, even more than you do at high tiers, and the Swedish Tier V Medium is quite good at that.



SABAOTH #16 Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:23 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 36437 battles
  • 2,914
  • [-133-] -133-
  • Member since:
    08-28-2011
Is pretty fun to play. You can enjoy it.

PanzerKFeldherrnhalle #17 Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 486 battles
  • 708
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View PostPointZero, on 18 August 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Base DPM compared to other mediums in its own tier:
 

T-34                                    2217,65

Type T-34                           2217,65

Ram II                                 1965

M7                                      1956,75

Matilda BP (premium)         1956,75

Matilda IV (premium)          1776.5

M4A2E4 Sherman (Beta)   1732,5

Renault G1                        1691,8 (2460 with the 105mm *x)

M4 improved (premium)     1650

Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H             1650 (2650 with the 10,5cm *x)

Pz.Kpfw. T 25 (premium)    1540

Pz.Kpfw. III/IV                      1534.5

Pz.Kpfw. IV Hydrostat. (premium) 1534.5

Type 3 Chi-Nu                   1500

Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai (premium) 1500

Sherman III                        1499,6 (2734,7 with the 105mm *x)                       

M4 Sherman                     1437,5 (2734,7 with the 105mm *x)

Strv M/42                          1428

Škoda T24                        1245,2

 

*x imaginary situation where the HE can pen "armor"


The list is self-evident, more so with the heavies: OI-exp (near 1900 DPM, 300 alpha) and the KV-1 (above 2000 DPM), amongst others (remember also enjoying the VK 30.01 H, can't remember if it has below or above average DPM but remember having a very good gun making it a very nice tank). All with far better than 110 pen (still think is rather insufficient, even for a tier V, though I might be wrong).

That is mitigated by the fact it is tier V where many players are still learning how to play the game but at the same time it doesn't conceal the balance issues regarding some of those tanks. As you're suggesting that Škoda T24 number is straightforward pathetic.



Balc0ra #18 Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 64344 battles
  • 15,409
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

View PostCobra6, on 18 August 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

The only tank that's truly crapis the Tier 7 Leo, this is another one of those compulsory XP sinks that WG puts in every new line.

 

 

Oddly enough... the only one of the meds I did really enjoy.

PointZero #19 Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 42161 battles
  • 1,067
  • Member since:
    02-03-2011

 

View PostCobra6, on 18 August 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

The only tank that's truly crapis the Tier 7 Leo, this is another one of those compulsory XP sinks that WG puts in every new line.

 

I liked the fact that the Leo has 2 relevant gun choises that allow you to pick the one that better suits your playstyle.

If you are more used to playing medium tanks with a punchy gun and bad rate of fire you can choose to mount the 10cm m/34 with 300 alpha and play it like you would play a T20.

if you are more used to playing medium tanks with a fast shooting pewpew gun you can pick the 7,5cm strv 74 and play it like you would play a Comet.



250swb #20 Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 21699 battles
  • 4,862
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-23-2015
Lago to Leo I like them all, any shortcomings in dpm are more than made up for in the novel positions you can take up using the gun depression.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users